December 14, 2019, 10:33:43 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window  (Read 124006 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window
« Reply #615 on: August 22, 2012, 05:47:03 PM »
as time passes, and he starts to fade from the england starting 11, the lad will re-evaluate his options.

west ham could well be a destination, eventually.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 22, 2012, 06:34:55 PM »
as time passes, and he starts to fade from the england starting 11, the lad will re-evaluate his options.

west ham could well be a destination, eventually.

Despite his lack of technical ability, we could certainly use his strengths in a Plan B, which wouldn't neccessarily mean hoofing. The main gripe I've read about from Swansea's fans was that Rodgers never had a plan B. If things weren't working the alternative was more of the same.
Interestingly, in the two interviews I've seen with Laudrup he's refered to and addressed the issue.

I hope Rodgers is a big enough manager to acknowledge his flaws from last season and address them.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 22, 2012, 10:50:47 PM »
Hey Juan, i think the matter is complicated because we still owe the c*nts some shekels for the
big man. I agree Newcastle are desperate to get Andy back and why not, if they keep their two
Senegalese lads and add Carroll, I think that they have enough firepower to mount a top 4 challenge.
Everton showed the other night how lethal a big physical presence can be to expose defensive
weaknesses and that it doesn't have to be all trickery, pace and technique up front.

Imo, the league isn't just won on the pitch and Newcastle are playing a blinder over Carroll. It's how
we respond that shows our strength or weakness...

Yeah I know where your coming from Ed. I cant take Newcastle  trying to bully us into a deal. Heck if Andy Carroll was playing elsewhere and up for sale for 12 million Id possibly be hoping Rodgers would take a punt.

I dont like Carrolls style but hes better than what we've seen of him. He may not be 35 million good but hes not 12 million worth either. If we arent going to get a relatively good return on him, like 20 million then Id prefer to keep him and make him an important part of the team. As you say a team needs more than just Plan A.

In the mean time I would like the club to show some steel and make light of Newcastles offer. Either that or just ignore it altogether.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 22, 2012, 11:36:43 PM »
I dont like Carrolls style but hes better than what we've seen of him. He may not be 35 million good but hes not 12 million worth either. If we arent going to get a relatively good return on him, like 20 million then Id prefer to keep him and make him an important part of the team. As you say a team needs more than just Plan A.
I think it goes back to the appointment of the manager.

Interviewers: "Brendan we have a £35 million asset by the name of Andy. Out of curiosity would you see him as an integral
part of your plans were you to be offered the position? Yes/No?"

Brendan: "Eh no, I can't work with tall strikers!"

Interviewers: "Ok, that's interesting" (whispers, right who's are go-to-guy for flogging dead horses? ask him to see
where we stand in relation to offloading the Big Man
).

My point is that coming off the back of last season, we appeared to have an in-form striker who may have turned a
corner. Now we have a farce.

As we've said ad nauseum on here, there's a gaping hole between the owners and manager where we require a shrewd
footballing operator that can solve problems and get things done. I only want to hear from the manager when he does pre-
and post match interviews and from the owners once or twice a year (i wonder will they attend the City game?). In the
meantime everything else should be run efficiently behind the scenes, invisible to all and sundry. Instead we have the
Toon, Dave Whelan and whoever else continually taking the p.i.s.s at our expense. While operations are as sub-standard
as this in relation to our off-field dealings with these footballing minnows it is inconceivable, imo, that there can be any sort
of resurgence on the pitch.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 23, 2012, 12:39:18 AM »
(i wonder will they attend the City game?).

They didn't bother turning up for the first competative game at Anfield (effectively the start of the season) against Gomel, so I won't be surprised if they didn't bother with the first home league game of the season.

Compare that to this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2129656/Liverpool-owner-miss-FA-Cup-semi-final-return-USA.html

You can see where their priorities lie, and it shows in the weak administration they have put in place despite knowing as much about football as I do about baseball. I'd imagine their baseball administration is much more fit for purpose.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 23, 2012, 04:36:04 PM »
Marca (I know, I know) are saying that Sahin is now coming to us.

So where is the goalscorer and the wide right sided forward that we are desperate for?

It seems crystal clear now that last Summer and the previous January was 'the' financial push for CL places and that 'one (two) off' has both well and truly been wasted and left us even more hamstrung than we were before.

Even if Spurs lose Modric, they look to have strengthened overall. Likewise with Arsenal, especially if they replace Song. Chelsea were already stronger before their latest breaking of the FFP rules, as were both Mancs.

Newcastle have started well (even though it's one game) and a home win against a direct rival is the best start possible.

Looks like we have to pin our hopes on the cups for European football, as it's very difficult if you take a step back and consider everything with a clear head, to see how we will finish ahead of two. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 23, 2012, 05:02:21 PM »
Liverpool FC have Nuri Sahin deal hope after Arsenal snag, but no agreement yet

By James Pearce  Aug 23 2012

LIVERPOOL FC have a glimmer of hope in the race to sign Nuri Sahin after his proposed move to Arsenal hit a snag.

The Reds believed they had lost out to the Gunners in their bid to secure the services of the Real Madrid midfielder on a season-long loan.

Sahin's desire for Champions League football had left boss Brendan Rodgers looking at other options in the transfer market.

However, the 23-year-old Turkish international's switch to the Emirates has yet to be completed because the Gunners want the deal to include the opportunity to make the transfer permanent.

Madrid aren't willing to sanction that and as a result Sahin's future remains uncertain.

Liverpool have distanced themselves from reports in Spain today suggesting Sahin has turned his back on Arsenal and is on his way to Anfield.

Club officials insist no agreement is in place but hopes have been rekindled slightly by Arsenal's failure to so far complete the deal.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/08/23/liverpool-fc-have-nuri-sahin-deal-hope-after-arsenal-snag-but-no-agreement-yet-100252-31682051/#ixzz24MakzlLL

If the little part in bold is true, it's the best move we've made this Summer. Hopefully we'll continue to distance ourselves from a lot of things like this in the future.

If we did get him on loan, I'd hope we wouldn't commit to a loan without having a set fee we could choose to sign him for at the end. What's the point of having him for a season, for him to be an influential member of the team and then see him disappear back to Real, leaving a huge hole to fill or Real deciding he can leave and/or Sahin making it clear he wishes to stay with us, just to be taken for a ride by Real over the fee they demand.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 23, 2012, 07:13:29 PM »
Liverpool FC have Nuri Sahin deal hope after Arsenal snag, but no agreement yet

If the little part in bold is true, it's the best move we've made this Summer. Hopefully we'll continue to distance ourselves from a lot of things like this in the future.

If we did get him on loan, I'd hope we wouldn't commit to a loan without having a set fee we could choose to sign him for at the end. What's the point of having him for a season, for him to be an influential member of the team and then see him disappear back to Real, leaving a huge hole to fill or Real deciding he can leave and/or Sahin making it clear he wishes to stay with us, just to be taken for a ride by Real over the fee they demand.

Guillem Balague said his agent met officials at Anfield yesterday. I still think he will go to Arsenal.

I dont necessarily feel we have to include a fee Tes. A loan with a possible first option should they sell would be good enough for me. At the moment with the way our club is being viewed domestically and across Europe tied with the fact that our squad is so thin on quality I'd be happy with a few quality loan deals even if they are for a season. Anything that can help us get back challenging is good enough for me.

Imagine if we had taken Adebeyor on loan in January 2011, we'd have saved ourselves 35 million.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 23, 2012, 11:11:55 PM »
Guillem Balague said his agent met officials at Anfield yesterday. I still think he will go to Arsenal.

I dont necessarily feel we have to include a fee Tes. A loan with a possible first option should they sell would be good enough for me. At the moment with the way our club is being viewed domestically and across Europe tied with the fact that our squad is so thin on quality I'd be happy with a few quality loan deals even if they are for a season. Anything that can help us get back challenging is good enough for me.

Imagine if we had taken Adebeyor on loan in January 2011, we'd have saved ourselves 35 million.

If we have any thoughts about buying him we need to get a figure as part of the contract, therefore if he bombs we give him back, if he exceeds expectation we don't get held over a barrel. It's the way we've been played twice over Aquilani. I it's probably a moot  point anyway as I understand this is the problem with the Arsenal deal. They want an opportunity to buy, and Real aren't interested.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 23, 2012, 11:34:06 PM »
Hopefully one signing we will make this window is Sterling on a new long term deal. Our midfield maybe be over flowing in quantity, but there's only one or two drops left quality wise.

And if we only sign one more player it has to be a goalscorer. Is Coates injured or does Rodgers feel the same way about him as Dalglish obviously did?

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: August 23, 2012, 11:56:29 PM »
Hopefully one signing we will make this window is Sterling on a new long term deal. Our midfield maybe be over flowing in quantity, but there's only one or two drops left quality wise.

And if we only sign one more player it has to be a goalscorer. Is Coates injured or does Rodgers feel the same way about him as Dalglish obviously did?

The sooner Carragher goes the sooner he doesnt have to be force-ably removed from the team. In games like tonight why Coates isnt playing beside Agger is a mystery. Carragher is finished.

Completely agreed on Sterling, our best player by a country mile tonight. Sign him up, tie him down, hes one genuinely quality player we do have in our squad. Henderson, Downing, Spearing are not up to it.

Rodgers claims Sahin is signing tomorrow so looks as if we've beaten Arsenal to him for one reason or another.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: August 24, 2012, 12:02:57 AM »
I'd leave the European nights for Carra to play in with Coates. Let him coach Coates through the games and rest Agger and Skrtel.
He's obviously not going to play Johnson, but another option I'd like to see tried is to play Kelly at centre half and lets see if he can do it at a higher level. Ryan McLaughlin could cope with this level I'm sure, at least the earlier rounds/group stages and I see him as a better prospect than Flanagan. 

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 24, 2012, 08:20:09 AM »
The sooner Carragher goes the sooner he doesnt have to be force-ably removed from the team. In games like tonight why Coates isnt playing beside Agger is a mystery. Carragher is finished.

Completely agreed on Sterling, our best player by a country mile tonight. Sign him up, tie him down, hes one genuinely quality player we do have in our squad. Henderson, Downing, Spearing are not up to it.

Rodgers claims Sahin is signing tomorrow so looks as if we've beaten Arsenal to him for one reason or another.

Couldn't agree more....If Carra plays against Citeh on sunday then playing him tonight was madness..Unless Coates was being saved and i'll keep quiet...it seems very odd that Coates can play for the south american champions against brazil and argentina and the like but can't against hearts...very odd...

Sterling made the difference tonight....kelly was also good...and borini showed vague signs of coming good...the rest? not so much...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 24, 2012, 04:25:47 PM »
Couldn't agree more....If Carra plays against Citeh on sunday then playing him tonight was madness..Unless Coates was being saved and i'll keep quiet...it seems very odd that Coates can play for the south american champions against brazil and argentina and the like but can't against hearts...very odd...

Sterling made the difference tonight....kelly was also good...and borini showed vague signs of coming good...the rest? not so much...

Unless Coates is being eased back in due to playing in the Olympics, but surely, as he's not going to play a main role this season, the cup games, with the length of time between them, shouldn't be a problem even with Olympic participation.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 24, 2012, 11:26:20 PM »
How come Wolves have managed to get £14M/15M for Fletcher and £10.5M for Jarvis, yet we can't get a reasonable fee for Carroll or any interest in Downing?