December 13, 2019, 11:05:20 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window  (Read 123845 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window
« Reply #630 on: August 24, 2012, 11:30:59 PM »
Apparently the Times tomorrow will be carrying a story about City coming back in with a third bid for Agger.

Just accept the bid but tell them they get Skrtel instead. I'm sure we could find an equal player and leave ourselves with a few mill spare as a result.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: August 25, 2012, 01:20:14 AM »
Couldn't agree more....If Carra plays against Citeh on sunday then playing him tonight was madness..Unless Coates was being saved and i'll keep quiet...it seems very odd that Coates can play for the south american champions against brazil and argentina and the like but can't against hearts...very odd...

Sterling made the difference tonight....kelly was also good...and borini showed vague signs of coming good...the rest? not so much...

I forgot that Agger will be out Sunday. Given the amount of game time hes given him I cant see Rodgers starting Coates sunday. Unfortunately its going to be Carragher, Id even play Kelly in there ahead of him at this stage.

Yeah very much agreed, hes playing for one of South Americas top countries, granted the Olympics werent great but if he cant get in instead of Carragher at this stage hes either rubbish or its down to politics. Rodgers cant say hes been given a fair run of chances anyway.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: August 25, 2012, 01:22:43 AM »
How come Wolves have managed to get £14M/15M for Fletcher and £10.5M for Jarvis, yet we can't get a reasonable fee for Carroll or any interest in Downing?

Good point Tes. Its time we stick to our guns. I was glad to see Rodgers completely rubbish Newcastles 12 million pound offer.

If Fletcher can fetch 12 million Carroll is worth 20.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: August 25, 2012, 01:32:26 AM »
Apparently the Times tomorrow will be carrying a story about City coming back in with a third bid for Agger.

Just accept the bid but tell them they get Skrtel instead. I'm sure we could find an equal player and leave ourselves with a few mill spare as a result.

Haha it would be funny to see Mancinis reaction if Skrtel arrived to take Aggers medical.

The thought of being left with Carragher, Skrtel and Coates as our centre backs for the season sends shivers down my spine. It wouldnt be worth it for 25 million because we'd finish at best 8th.

Trying to replace Agger with one week to go, 25 million burning a hole in our pocket and every club knowing we have to sign a centre back is a recipe for disaster.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: August 25, 2012, 11:44:24 AM »
Haha it would be funny to see Mancinis reaction if Skrtel arrived to take Aggers medical.

The thought of being left with Carragher, Skrtel and Coates as our centre backs for the season sends shivers down my spine. It wouldnt be worth it for 25 million because we'd finish at best 8th.

Trying to replace Agger with one week to go, 25 million burning a hole in our pocket and every club knowing we have to sign a centre back is a recipe for disaster.

Carragher, Skrtel, Coates. You could be forgiven for thinking Halloween had come early. The problem is is that we know Skrtel reverts to being Skrtel Version 1 when he doesn't play with Agger. The difference in his performance is frightening, especially when he'd be the one to cover Carra and make up for Carra's age-induced flaws, but they both look like thhey're struggling to reach the level they need to and are struggling so much with their own games as to be of no help to the other.

I think it's impossible to gauge Coates whilst Carra's around. It's impossible to know whether Carra being picked ahead of Coates is a reflection on Coates or is more about who Carra is.

In terms of numbers we seem well stocked and strong at centre half, but we really need to start planning our moves in that position now, ready for next Summer. It's a postion that's nowhere near as strong as the numbers would suggest.
The only good thing about Skrtel signing a new deal is that it maintains his value but that's only a positive if he maintains last season's form. If not, it will be another financial millstone.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: August 26, 2012, 08:19:32 AM »
Liverpool striker Luis Suarez has said he recently signed a new contract with the club because he wants to pay back the intense faith the club had shown in him during the Patrice Evra racism row.

Suarez said he truly believes Liverpool can win the Premier League in future under new manager Brendan Rodgers.

“There were clubs that wanted to sign me, but my priority was always to stay and sign again with Liverpool, because I believe this club can win the Premier League if we do everything right,” The Daily Mirror quoted Suarez, as saying.

“My decision was easy because the club stuck by me last season. They had trust in me because of the work I do on the football pitch, and what happened in the past is the past – it is over,” he added.

“I recognise the season wasn’t very good last time, especially in the league. A team like Liverpool always wants to be in the Champions League where it should be, but I still believe we can make it,” he said.

Suarez added: “My dream is to play there for at least one season with Liverpool.”
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: August 26, 2012, 01:39:13 PM »
Liverpool striker Luis Suarez has said he recently signed a new contract with the club because he wants to pay back the intense faith the club had shown in him during the Patrice Evra racism row.

Suarez said he truly believes Liverpool can win the Premier League in future under new manager Brendan Rodgers.

“There were clubs that wanted to sign me, but my priority was always to stay and sign again with Liverpool, because I believe this club can win the Premier League if we do everything right,” The Daily Mirror quoted Suarez, as saying.

“My decision was easy because the club stuck by me last season. They had trust in me because of the work I do on the football pitch, and what happened in the past is the past – it is over,” he added.

“I recognise the season wasn’t very good last time, especially in the league. A team like Liverpool always wants to be in the Champions League where it should be, but I still believe we can make it,” he said.

Suarez added: “My dream is to play there for at least one season with Liverpool.”

I wouldnt read too much into stuff like that Dude. If he stays he stays if he eventually goes he goes. We cant do much to stop him. At least hes signed a new deal for now. It could be worse we could be Arsenal. I see they are talking about the need to build a British core in their team now to prevent players running down contracts and leaving.  There would be no hope of Carroll, Downing and Henderson leaving them if they feel the need to shop at home.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: August 26, 2012, 01:45:21 PM »
I know there were reservations about Sahin considering it looks like we dont have a purchase option. What do people think now that hes signed up?

I havent seen alot of the player but if reports are to be believed he has huge potential. If we can keep him injury free I am looking forward to him becoming a permanent fixture in our midfield for the year. In fairness a midfield of Lucas, Allen and Sahin sounds to have far more potential than Lucas, Spearing and Henderson.  So even the fact that we cant purchase at the end of the loan deal if Sahin can bring the quality needed to improve our league position by a few places then I think its worth it.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: August 26, 2012, 02:08:57 PM »
It could be worse we could be Arsenal. I see they are talking about the need to build a British core in their team now to prevent players running down contracts and leaving.  There would be no hope of Carroll, Downing and Henderson leaving them if they feel the need to shop at home.

maybe we can help Arsenal build their english core and give them several of our muppets!   :)

having 3 or 4 of the finest players in these islands is a perfectly fine ideal, as long as they are of a certain level.   But in modern times, I wouldn;t give you twenty quid for 99 percent of the cream of the crop, of this latest generation of players.   

the scholes, giggs, beckham, owen, gerrard, ashley cole, seaman generation/s was the last of the fine wine......since then, we have been served plonk.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: August 26, 2012, 07:45:40 PM »
maybe we can help Arsenal build their english core and give them several of our muppets!   :)

Seeing as we've just recently been 'about Britain' with the Olympics, couldn't they extend their catchment area a 'wee' bit as we've got a representative from north of Hadrian's wall that would fit in well with the non-defensive attitude.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: August 27, 2012, 02:06:13 PM »
 ;D

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: August 28, 2012, 09:10:13 PM »
Looks like Spearing is on his way off to Bolton for a princely sum of £3M. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2194643/Jay-Spearing-set-3m-Bolton-move.html

It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: August 29, 2012, 11:44:12 PM »
Looks like Spearing is on his way off to Bolton for a princely sum of £3M. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2194643/Jay-Spearing-set-3m-Bolton-move.html

We couldn't exactly charge them that much more especially as there's not that much of him to charge for. I hope than we include a sell-on clause. Not that I see him being sold for 5x as much next Summer, but Bolton may at some point sell him and if there's a chance to we need to cash in. Arsenal have done this several times. It's the reason Pennant cost so much.
This is what the academy needs to be producing. Either players for the first team/squad or players that can be sold off with sell-on clauses giving us an income twice off them.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: August 29, 2012, 11:45:04 PM »
Has anyone actually seen Downing seriously linked with anyone?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: August 29, 2012, 11:50:37 PM »
Stoke have offered £[depends which site you read]M for Adam.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11701/8032237

http://liverpool.theoffside.com/2012/8/29/3278016/stoke-bid-5m-for-charlie-adam

The first part of last Summer's disaster could be rectified to a degree (though at a huge overall cost).