December 11, 2019, 09:14:59 PM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window  (Read 123660 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window
« Reply #645 on: August 29, 2012, 11:55:56 PM »
Carroll still may/may not be off back to the Geordies.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/aug/29/andy-carroll-alan-pardew-newcastle

If he goes on Friday I'd rather save the cash and look for a loan or something in January. If we're short of a striker let's use Adam Morgan. I'd rather see a youngster prove he's not yet up to the task than a panic buy proving he's unlikely to ever be.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: August 30, 2012, 12:06:03 PM »
Offloading Andy Carroll remains key to Brendan Rodgers rebuilding mission

Tony Barrett

Brendan Rodgers wants Andy Carroll to accept that his career at Anfield is over as the Liverpool manager tries to cash in on the out-of-favour forward to step up his interest in Theo Walcott and Clint Dempsey.

Before what promises to be a hectic last 48 hours of the transfer window for Liverpool, Rodgers reiterated that he needs to sell before he can buy. He hopes to use the proceeds of sales to add Walcott — who held talks with Arsène Wenger, the Arsenal manager, yesterday — and Dempsey, the Fulham forward, to his squad.

Charlie Adam looks set to join Stoke City while Jay Spearing will leave on loan, with Wolverhampton Wanderers and Bolton Wanderers interested in the midfielder.

Those deals will free up the funds for Liverpool to reignite their interest in Dempsey, having previously ruled out a move for the American, 29, because of his age and Fulham’s £10 million asking price.

But unless Fenway Sports Group, the club’s owner, releases funds to facilitate an offer for Walcott as a potential marquee signing, any hopes Rodgers has of beating Manchester City to his signature will rest on whether they can attract a significant fee for Carroll and convince him to leave.

Walcott met Wenger yesterday after turning down a new contract and informed the Arsenal manager that he is not agitating for a transfer. Wenger, in turn, told the winger that he will not be sold during this transfer window, but Liverpool and City are ready to test the Frenchman’s resolve to keep a player who is in the final 12 months of his contract.

City are likely to make a formal offer for the England player today, but also remain interested in Scott Sinclair, having had a £6.2 million bid for the winger rejected by Swansea City, who are seeking a fee in excess of £7 million.

In the absence of the kind of spending power available at City, Rodgers will use the remaining time in the window to put together a financial package that may tempt Arsenal and Walcott to do business. The situation surrounding Carroll, who continues to interest Newcastle United, his former club, and West Ham United, is key to his hopes.

“Obviously, I have seen a lot of the links and it is great that those players would want to come here, but the reality is that we are not in a position to do those sort of deals at this stage,” Rodgers said. “The reality is, financially, we need to repair, so the players being linked for the money mentioned, I don’t have the ability to sign in this window.

“I respect players and I’m precise with my information so they know where they stand. We all come into the profession knowing what the job is. Ultimately, it comes down to what your objective is as a player.

“I can only be straight. I’ve made it clear I have a 1 to 11, cover players and development players. Some of the development players may become starters. If you fit outside that, I will tell you. Then it’s up to the player. Does the player want to play football?

“You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to see Andy has been a cover player for us and has been excellent in terms of his attitude and acceptance of where he is at, but as a football club, I don’t think we are in a position to have £35 million players as third-choice strikers, or wingers who are on £5 million-£6 million a year. This is the challenge I have.”

Carroll has been omitted from the Liverpool squad for the Europa League play-off round, second leg against Heart of Midlothian tonight as Rodgers continues to try to offload him.

Newcastle’s offer to take Carroll on loan for the rest of this season, with a guaranteed £15 million at the end of the campaign, remains on the table and Alan Pardew is hopeful that a deal can be struck. But Liverpool are reluctant to accept that bid.

“I’ve always said it’s not really down to me,” the Newcastle manager said. “Would I want him in my squad? Of course I would. Probably every Premier League manager in the country would want him in their squad. But can the business deal be done? That’s nothing to do with me.”
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: August 30, 2012, 01:38:48 PM »
Looks more and more likely that Dempsey will sign when Adam and Spearing leave. Certainly offers potentially more goals and assists than Downing (if he can keep up his performance level to that of the last two seasons) and has the ability to slot in up front without being a target man and would work within a fluid front three.

His age is definately a downside, but depending on the fee and salary, if he helps us qualify for the CL in one of his likely three year contract, then he could be looked at as money well spent.

On the upside his injury record is excellent and he'd replace that bit of 'attitude' that we've lost letting Bellamy go.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: August 30, 2012, 02:27:55 PM »
Agree Tes. 

Adams has been disappointing and Spearing, well he was never really a LFC 1st team player.  Dempsey would certainly provide more of a  threat in front of goal and if he is able to transition his performance over the last two seasons into a red shirt then this could be a shrewd signing.  But then thats what we all thought when we bought Adams...lol. 

The Carroll situation is the one that intrigues me the most though, I've a lot of friends who are also reds, and they certainly would like to see Carroll be given an opportunity, but I am not of that thought.  I personally would like to see him go for a decent fee and have that money re-invested into a proven finisher.  Read somewhere today that if we get say £17M for Carroll we may go for Llorente (Atheltic Bilbao/Madrid? can't remember). 
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: August 30, 2012, 03:52:59 PM »
Read somewhere today that if we get say £17M for Carroll we may go for Llorente (Atheltic Bilbao/Madrid? can't remember).

Llorente plays for Bilbao who have just lost Javi Martinez to Bayern for €40M.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: August 30, 2012, 04:11:57 PM »
The Carroll situation is the one that intrigues me the most though, I've a lot of friends who are also reds, and they certainly would like to see Carroll be given an opportunity, but I am not of that thought.
Whatever the case, it's clear that the manager doesn't want him and has
done everything he can bar stuff him in a taxi and give the driver £500 to
take him Newcastle.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: August 30, 2012, 08:48:07 PM »
good to see adams on his way......always looked too fat, unfit and lazy for my liking.

carroll has only gone on loan to the hammers........at least they are paying all his 100 grand a week wages, plus we get a 1 million loan fee....so worth 6 million total to us.   Pity he isn't been sold.

spearing going to bolton on loan....again a great pity that the deal is not permanent.

as for incomings......I think rodgers badly needs dempsey, to be the head of his attacking spear.

walcott has got speed, nothing else.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: August 30, 2012, 11:26:20 PM »
Just hope the striker Rodgers has lined up knows where the goal is as having lost goals from Maxi, Bellamy and Kuyt, Borini not being played as a striker at the head of the attack, and Luis still showing he's not a natural goalscorer, we need something special tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 11:31:09 PM by Tes »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: August 30, 2012, 11:37:57 PM »
It's hard to see what the 'strategic decision' was to let Carroll go on loan or the strategy behind the loans as it's not helping the club with young players getting experience, instead it's giving other clubs the use of players for a relative pittance and whilst we do get the wage of the books for the duration of the loan we've neither got the money to go and replace them or have a stream of youngsters coming through who needed their way clearing.

My worry is also that Rodgers is trying to make too many personnel changes in one go.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: August 30, 2012, 11:43:20 PM »
And yet again we're doing business on the last day of the window. Hopefully from now forward we can get our transfer business sorted, know who we want and can get, conclude things early so that we can just be a spectator to the last day panic, or our only involvement is letting go of players we don't want, whilst being the holders not the held where the barrel's concerned.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: August 30, 2012, 11:45:02 PM »
Wish Andy C all the best (even if i do hate fat Sam) hope he
starts banging 'em in all season. Go Andy!

In the meantime, I think the manager has behaved appallingly toward
him and won't be swayed to see it any other way by any BS he spouts
about it.

Andy, to his credit, imo behaved in a most dignified manner throughout.

Tbh, i just don't like the gaffer or his methods and i doubt that's ever going to change.
I've seen enough of him and he just gets on my nerves all day long.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: August 31, 2012, 12:09:34 AM »
Wish Andy C all the best (even if i do hate fat Sam) hope he
starts banging 'em in all season. Go Andy!

In the meantime, I think the manager has behaved appallingly toward
him and won't be swayed to see it any other way by any BS he spouts
about it.

Andy, to his credit, imo behaved in a most dignified manner throughout.

Tbh, i just don't like the gaffer or his methods and i doubt that's ever going to change.

Sack Rodgers. Next please!!  :D

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: August 31, 2012, 12:16:45 AM »
Sack Rodgers. Next please!!  :D
As young Sterling would say...Steady!  ;D

Anyway he can't be sacked!

Doesn't mean i have to like him though   :P

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: August 31, 2012, 12:18:46 AM »

same here, Ed.

he's given others enough rope to hang himself many times over.

like oleary, he is impossible to listen to, like, or have empathy for.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: August 31, 2012, 12:21:35 AM »
My worry is also that Rodgers is trying to make too many personnel changes in one go.

yes, this could be a problem.

i worry that the people he is bringing in are fine for mid table teams, but not of the quality needed for top tier teams.

and i know for usre that we do not have the fire power that we need upfront.....unless we get dempsey, i can see probs ahead.