December 07, 2019, 04:57:14 PM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window  (Read 123009 times)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window
« Reply #705 on: September 01, 2012, 09:47:25 AM »
what a farce......pure embarrassment.

I have said it for a couple of months, the yanks should sell the club on.

they are clearly treating it as an overseas pet-project, in which they have little active interest in making a success of it.

they are downsizing the club...........within 3 seasons of taking charge they will have transformed us into a break-even mid-table club.

Hugely suprised, shocked, gutted and disappointed. As Edward pointed out they made Brendan look like a total tit. What's particularly hard to digest is how they allow so many players to leave while not being able and willing to support the manager with a million or two to at least give us some alternatives upfront. This will go a long way to scupper whatever hopes we had a CL-qualification.

I thought Henry et.al. knew what they were doing up until know. Now I know they don't. Congrats Arsenal you'l walk it on Sunday as Brendan and the squad will need the international break to pick themselves up from this humiliating and unambitious way of running things.

Totally gutted.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: September 01, 2012, 09:52:25 AM »
come Xmas we'll know for sure if Rodgers is upto the job...

Quite to the contrary Bart I think this will only strengthen Brendan's position. Surely he woke up this morning feeling badly sore up the backside?
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: September 01, 2012, 10:43:55 AM »
I am very sorry for that and can only extend my sincerest apologies. I stand corrected and hang in shame.

Martin, it was actually quite funny. Just one thing. I do understand the offside rule.  :D

The only thing that's been hung is the manager out to dry.

Brendan to a degree has reaped what his words have sewn, but the owners have to take an equal share of the blame in the Carroll farce, as far as him leaving on loan. It should have been made clear to Rodgers that even if Carroll goes, there's nothing available to replace unless he leaves via a sale and not a loan. Rodgers' choice is then an informed one and the blame can only be his.
I doubt this was what he was sold in the Summer, as his last few press conferences have been sending out hints as to the problem. The tone is different from when first appointed, suggesting the rules are somewhat different to what he was told they would be. 
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: September 01, 2012, 11:00:06 AM »
Cheers for that Tes. I once started a reply to you "Dear Tes..." which my wife saw and instantly moaned "so know what, you're having an in-forum affair?". ;D

I think your comment on Brendan reaping what he sewed isn't that far off the mark in my book. At the same time he knew replacing Kenny would need an offensive strategy sending out a clear message to the fans and the media. What worries me in your post is that he'll feel the goalposts have already moved. I also wonder how this apparent rift between the owners and the manager will affect he squad. I hate to say it but tomorrow's game could be very important altho it's early days. Worst of all this means Brendan will be forced to play the wasteful Suarez out of position in the middle (always had him as a free roaming left midfielder if you see where I come from).

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: September 01, 2012, 11:40:35 AM »
Tes I need to admit I also thought you were female :D

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: September 01, 2012, 11:46:07 AM »
 ;D ;D

Sound reading http://www.kopsource.com/deadline-day-blunders-leave-rodgers-with-uphill-task/?

You’ll Never Walk Alone is not an entirely consistent club motto. Ask Tom Hicks or George Gillette; if you fall foul of the fan-base, you’ll be hearing about it. Examples needn’t be as extreme as that though, as Paul Konchesky, Joe Cole and Alberto Aquilani will testify – mediocrity too can have the power to infuriate.
Opinions vary as to quite how poor a Deadline Day Liverpool had, though fans were largely agreed that watching the promise that comes with the transfer window slip away so hopelessly made for uncomfortable viewing. Clint Dempsey’s last minute move to Tottenham Hotspur sealed a nightmare day for the Reds, who failed to achieve their well-documented primary objective of signing a striker, a loss compounded by the completion of Andy Carroll’s loan move to West Ham 24 hours previous. Not, to put it lightly, the best 31st August the club has enjoyed.
Such a clumsily concluded window, and one of such recognised importance, will inevitably attract myriad criticism. The question is: who is deserving of that ire and who is not?
Before that issue can be settled, we need to establish what went wrong. There are two main issues of contention here; firstly, that after months of protracted talks, when facing competition from two Premier League rivals, Liverpool managed to undervalue Clint Dempsey by almost half the fee required to sign him; secondly, that the signing of the American was, seemingly, the first and last option available to the club, irrespective of the continually underlined importance of acquiring the signature of a similar calibre of player.
We’ll never know the specific goings on at the club, and for now second, perhaps third, hand briefings will have to do, but with the available information it doesn’t feel like either of the two points made above stray far from the truth.
The greatest problem with the frustrations that have arisen is that we do not specifically know who is responsible for their root causes. If Twitter is to be believed then Ian Ayre is at fault both for the grossly under-thought approach to the Dempsey deal and also the failure to negotiate alternatives. Because this isn’t an available or confirmed fact, I won’t be taking up the opportunity to call for his head on a plate, as so many already have.
But I’m not going to sit here and defend him, either. If you are determined to vent your anger towards somebody at Liverpool Football Club by all means let it be Ayre, just so long as it prevents Brendan Rodgers – the most important figure at Anfield – from getting flak for something that he had nothing to do with.
A brief word on Ayre and Rodgers’s employers first, though. Fenway Sports Group, who for the first time have stamped their oft-discussed stringent financial principles on the club’s transfer budget, will not have come out of this window as well as they might have liked. It would be wrong to prejudge their motives during this period, as some have done, in suggesting that the trimming of the wage and transfer budgets is an indication of their imminent desire to sell-up, but lingering questions about their ability to improve the club in the long run are unlikely to be resolved if non-events such as last night’s repeat themselves.
There is nothing simple about spending money on a football club – too much and you can be saddled with crippling debt, too little and you fall behind the chasing pack – but this was not a complicated transaction; the player was, by all intents and purposes, necessary. Failing to secure the window’s primary transfer objective represents a potentially costly imbalance in this regard, and should he choose to implement the same frugal principles next time around, John W Henry could find January to be a brutal month. More importantly still, he will have to recognise that the patience he affords to his manager this year may have to stretch a little further than he had hoped.
And so we come to the real victim of this transfer window: Brendan Rodgers. Following his comments in the past weeks regarding the absolute need to retain at least three strikers, the Northern Irishman has been made to look something of a fool with the failure to sign Dempsey, Sturridge, or any of the host of names linked with the club. Unfairly, too, many lay the blame at his feet for the shambolic end to what had otherwise been a productive window. This, it would seem, is grossly unfair. If there is an underlying theme to the calamitous closing hours of the window it is a lack of preparation; Rodgers, creator of the 180 page blueprint for success, renowned student of the game and contemporary of Jose Mourinho, should not strike any reasonable fan as a man without a clue.
What seems far more likely is that the alternatives researched and selected by the former Swansea boss were not available for transfer. Though supporters are rightly aggravated by the failure to secure a forward, they must remember that the issue will be of far greater – and more immediate – concern to Rodgers, who now faces four long months with an ominously thin squad. That is the real problem here – not that the club is a ‘laughing stock’ or that ‘things were better under Rafa’, but that in circumstances that already possess enough potential volatility, he has to turn around a squad of players who scored too few goals last year, with even less goal scorers.
So, until January, this is it. Without Maxi, Kuyt, Carroll or Bellamy, Liverpool may well struggle to find the net any more than they did last year, but that isn’t really the point. What we should all know by now is that, however frustrating the window has been, the fans cannnot spend the next four months putting their energy into exclamations of outrage; he might have needed our backing before, but Brendan Rodgers will require it more than ever now. And who knows? Perhaps in four months time we’ll be praising the squad’s resilience and this messy affair will be long forgotten. In the meantime, if you’re not satisfied with Numbers 1-11, do your bit to make sure that the Twelfth Man is as vocal as can be

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: September 01, 2012, 11:48:30 AM »
Tes I need to admit I also thought you were female :D

:D   The female versions tends to have two 's'. You know how women are for changing their minds and needing an alternative. I'm quite satisfied with one.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: September 01, 2012, 12:04:07 PM »
The decks are pretty much clear (with just one or two notable exceptions) but we did need to replace the mass of crumbling deckchairs with at least some new ones.

I think we have to write this season off completely. Use that as the starting point and our level of expectation, that way there's no disppointments. Negative? Maybe. But with what we've been left with we have to be realistic.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: September 01, 2012, 01:38:16 PM »
;D ;D

Sound reading http://www.kopsource.com/deadline-day-blunders-leave-rodgers-with-uphill-task/?

You’ll Never Walk Alone is not an entirely consistent club motto. Ask Tom Hicks or George Gillette; if you fall foul of the fan-base, you’ll be hearing about it. Examples needn’t be as extreme as that though, as Paul Konchesky, Joe Cole and Alberto Aquilani will testify – mediocrity too can have the power to infuriate.
Opinions vary as to quite how poor a Deadline Day Liverpool had, though fans were largely agreed that watching the promise that comes with the transfer window slip away so hopelessly made for uncomfortable viewing. Clint Dempsey’s last minute move to Tottenham Hotspur sealed a nightmare day for the Reds, who failed to achieve their well-documented primary objective of signing a striker, a loss compounded by the completion of Andy Carroll’s loan move to West Ham 24 hours previous. Not, to put it lightly, the best 31st August the club has enjoyed.
Such a clumsily concluded window, and one of such recognised importance, will inevitably attract myriad criticism. The question is: who is deserving of that ire and who is not?
Before that issue can be settled, we need to establish what went wrong. There are two main issues of contention here; firstly, that after months of protracted talks, when facing competition from two Premier League rivals, Liverpool managed to undervalue Clint Dempsey by almost half the fee required to sign him; secondly, that the signing of the American was, seemingly, the first and last option available to the club, irrespective of the continually underlined importance of acquiring the signature of a similar calibre of player.
We’ll never know the specific goings on at the club, and for now second, perhaps third, hand briefings will have to do, but with the available information it doesn’t feel like either of the two points made above stray far from the truth.
The greatest problem with the frustrations that have arisen is that we do not specifically know who is responsible for their root causes. If Twitter is to be believed then Ian Ayre is at fault both for the grossly under-thought approach to the Dempsey deal and also the failure to negotiate alternatives. Because this isn’t an available or confirmed fact, I won’t be taking up the opportunity to call for his head on a plate, as so many already have.
But I’m not going to sit here and defend him, either. If you are determined to vent your anger towards somebody at Liverpool Football Club by all means let it be Ayre, just so long as it prevents Brendan Rodgers – the most important figure at Anfield – from getting flak for something that he had nothing to do with.
A brief word on Ayre and Rodgers’s employers first, though. Fenway Sports Group, who for the first time have stamped their oft-discussed stringent financial principles on the club’s transfer budget, will not have come out of this window as well as they might have liked. It would be wrong to prejudge their motives during this period, as some have done, in suggesting that the trimming of the wage and transfer budgets is an indication of their imminent desire to sell-up, but lingering questions about their ability to improve the club in the long run are unlikely to be resolved if non-events such as last night’s repeat themselves.
There is nothing simple about spending money on a football club – too much and you can be saddled with crippling debt, too little and you fall behind the chasing pack – but this was not a complicated transaction; the player was, by all intents and purposes, necessary. Failing to secure the window’s primary transfer objective represents a potentially costly imbalance in this regard, and should he choose to implement the same frugal principles next time around, John W Henry could find January to be a brutal month. More importantly still, he will have to recognise that the patience he affords to his manager this year may have to stretch a little further than he had hoped.
And so we come to the real victim of this transfer window: Brendan Rodgers. Following his comments in the past weeks regarding the absolute need to retain at least three strikers, the Northern Irishman has been made to look something of a fool with the failure to sign Dempsey, Sturridge, or any of the host of names linked with the club. Unfairly, too, many lay the blame at his feet for the shambolic end to what had otherwise been a productive window. This, it would seem, is grossly unfair. If there is an underlying theme to the calamitous closing hours of the window it is a lack of preparation; Rodgers, creator of the 180 page blueprint for success, renowned student of the game and contemporary of Jose Mourinho, should not strike any reasonable fan as a man without a clue.
What seems far more likely is that the alternatives researched and selected by the former Swansea boss were not available for transfer. Though supporters are rightly aggravated by the failure to secure a forward, they must remember that the issue will be of far greater – and more immediate – concern to Rodgers, who now faces four long months with an ominously thin squad. That is the real problem here – not that the club is a ‘laughing stock’ or that ‘things were better under Rafa’, but that in circumstances that already possess enough potential volatility, he has to turn around a squad of players who scored too few goals last year, with even less goal scorers.
So, until January, this is it. Without Maxi, Kuyt, Carroll or Bellamy, Liverpool may well struggle to find the net any more than they did last year, but that isn’t really the point. What we should all know by now is that, however frustrating the window has been, the fans cannnot spend the next four months putting their energy into exclamations of outrage; he might have needed our backing before, but Brendan Rodgers will require it more than ever now. And who knows? Perhaps in four months time we’ll be praising the squad’s resilience and this messy affair will be long forgotten. In the meantime, if you’re not satisfied with Numbers 1-11, do your bit to make sure that the Twelfth Man is as vocal as can be

Sums up the whole mess nicely.

Tomorrows game at Arsenal now seems absolutely enormous. Win and it may give way to optimism amongst the fans leading most to forget about the farce of a transfer window of outgoings.  Lose at home to the Gunners though and Id really fear for our season. The anti owner sentiment will be at its strongest since Hicks and Gillett left and we will be playing serious catch up in the league. Who we will be trying to catch is the worrying thing though.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: September 01, 2012, 01:43:03 PM »
I wonder how Henderson will react to the fact that Rodgers tried to swap him for Dempsey.

Like if reports are to be trusted we offered cash and Henderson for Dempsey. Not only does that tell Henderson hes not wanted it also tells him that Rodgers rates him pretty lowly if hes prepared to offer him and money. So in one season hes gone from being a 15-20 million pound player on paper to being worth 2-5 million. The worrying thing is that Henderson doesnt exactly strike me as a player who will take a knock back like that on the chin and come out stronger at the other end from it.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: September 01, 2012, 03:42:08 PM »
to be honest, I am not surprised that Fulham asked for one million quid more from us, than they asked from any other club.

I think the way we go about our business is nasty and hateful.

we clearly unsettled Dempsey (and how would that happen, unless via the club approaching the lad).  We have been playing a nasty clandestine game and ended up getting badly burnt. 

I do not blame Fulham at all.  I would have done the same with such a nasty buyer, who was deliberately unsettling my player.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: September 01, 2012, 04:55:24 PM »
A small collection of Rodgers' recent quotes:

"Newcastle got £35 million for this player last year. To even consider wanting to take him on loan is a liberty really. I need a minimum of three strikers. Once the window shuts, that is it until January. I have got Luis Suarez, Fabio Borini and Andy Carroll. I would need to be a nutcase to even consider at this moment to let Andy Carroll go."

“It is all speculation. I would be here all night if I was to answer questions on speculation, but we have got a very small squad as it is.

“We have lost a lot of players this summer and I hope we will be able to bring some in. I had a target list of players I wanted.

“The club is working very hard behind the scenes to manage that process to allow us to get some players in, but in terms of depth, it’s nowhere near where I would want it to be.

“I can’t wave a magic wand to bring players in and get players out.

“There is still a wee bit of time left and hopefully come the end of August we will be ready to go on with the group that we want.”

Hand on heart, doesn't anyone actually think Rodgers got what he was looking for or had identified what was required?
The squad may have had numbers, but was lacking throughout in quality. We've shifted some who were simply not up to the required standard. Wages no longer wasted on them, great.
Some though appear to have been jetisoned for purely financial reasons. We're short on numbers and quality.
In midfield, Spearing and Adam replaced by Allenso and Sahin, but in attack Kuyt, Maxi, Bellamy, Carroll replaced by Borini and Yesil (who we may or not see this season), with Sterling and Morgan looking like they've been promoted. So whilst numbers seem to remain the same, it's hard not to feel that the quality has somehow not been reduced and certainly if not the quality, then certainly the level of experience, and the unique attributes experience brings have definately been removed.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: September 01, 2012, 05:17:59 PM »
The club have let Rodgers down Tes. The owners and Ayre have to take the brunt of the blame. This summer has been a shambles, letting technically good players go but not replacing them. Bellamy, Kuyt and Maxi. Three technically good players probably with the ability to adjust to Rodgers system more than most. If your getting rid of all 3 then you have to get replacements in for at least 2 of them. And thats not counting the other players we offloaded.

Rodgers has to take a small amount of blame also. He played a risky game letting players go without having replacements lined up. Chelsea for all their spending didnt let Sturridge go without getting someone in and in the end he stayed at the Bridge.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: September 01, 2012, 05:21:40 PM »
Heres an interesting one. Its looking like Drogba and Anelka will be released by the Chinese side.

Would you take either on a one year deal if we could swing it?

Id have Drogba in the team in a heartbeat. I dont think he would come though. After that I would probably take Anelka in there too if we couldnt get Drogba, that may be more realistic a move for us.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: September 01, 2012, 05:29:15 PM »
Rodgers has to take a small amount of blame also. He played a risky game letting players go without having replacements lined up. Chelsea for all their spending didnt let Sturridge go without getting someone in and in the end he stayed at the Bridge.

rodgers words, naivety and immaturity are now coming back to haunt him.

if he was to lose carroll, it had to be in the final hours before the window closed, with it not being signed off, til he had a replacement coming in.

but rodgers alienated carroll......and he kept telling the world how great the senior mgt were and how hard they were working behind the scenes to get people in.

when you talk too much, the future has a habit of biting you on the ar.se
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.