December 06, 2019, 08:25:43 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window  (Read 122633 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window
« Reply #720 on: September 01, 2012, 05:40:01 PM »
rodgers words, naivety and immaturity are now coming back to haunt him.

if he was to lose carroll, it had to be in the final hours before the window closed, with it not being signed off, til he had a replacement coming in.

Agreed Dude. Carrolls transfer should have been dependent on a striker being signed first. At least that way we may have kept an unhappy player but at least we would still have a player with something to prove and with plenty of competitions to prove it in.

Aside from letting Carroll go the club had let Pacheco go aswell only for his loan deal to fall through. Rodgers clearly doesnt fancy the lad and for his own career I hope he leaves but to be getting rid of another forward without having a replacement lined up is amateurish to say the least.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 01, 2012, 05:44:02 PM »
rodgers words, naivety and immaturity are now coming back to haunt him.

if he was to lose carroll, it had to be in the final hours before the window closed, with it not being signed off, til he had a replacement coming in.

but rodgers alienated carroll......and he kept telling the world how great the senior mgt were and how hard they were working behind the scenes to get people in.

when you talk too much, the future has a habit of biting you on the ar.se
We said all along for him to keep it shut.

He rejected a DoF because he needed a direct line to the owners.

Went way over the top in his efforts to oust Carroll.

I agree this is naivety on his part.

That's the past. Move forward a bit and it's also given the media a nice little story if
Carroll flourishes at the Hammers and goals don't flow freely at our end 'til the window
reopens. That's pressure he created for himself as a result of his own poor judgement.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: September 01, 2012, 05:53:01 PM »
I wonder how Henderson will react to the fact that Rodgers tried to swap him for Dempsey.

Like if reports are to be trusted we offered cash and Henderson for Dempsey. Not only does that tell Henderson hes not wanted it also tells him that Rodgers rates him pretty lowly if hes prepared to offer him and money. So in one season hes gone from being a 15-20 million pound player on paper to being worth 2-5 million. The worrying thing is that Henderson doesnt exactly strike me as a player who will take a knock back like that on the chin and come out stronger at the other end from it.
Crazy, he came in spouting on about the weight of the shirt. Unless I'm mistaken Spearing, Adam,
Carroll, Downing & Henderson are all players to whom that could be applied (based on last season).

Coming toward the end of the window his solution seems to have been to convert Downing to a
left back and bin the rest of them! Wow, that sure gets the weight of wearing the Liverpool jersey
off them  :)

What a bullsh*tter!

I like Henderson and was looking forward to how he was going to improve this season. Real kick in
the teeth for him! (I'm sure the jersey will feel heavier now!).

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: September 01, 2012, 05:54:49 PM »
Martin, it was actually quite funny. Just one thing. I do understand the offside rule.  :D
Jesus Tes, I never doubted you were a bloke!  :)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: September 01, 2012, 06:26:35 PM »
Apparently its official Drogbas a free agent.

Sign him up.

Phil Thompson thinks the same;

Phil Thompson ‏@Phil_Thompson4

Come on LFC go for Drogba ,free agent

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: September 01, 2012, 06:36:47 PM »
Just reading on twitter Drogba hasnt been released, its rubbish.

Ah well I thought there might have been some hope to sign a decent striker there.  :(

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: September 01, 2012, 06:44:27 PM »
Agreed Dude. Carrolls transfer should have been dependent on a striker being signed first........to be getting rid of another forward without having a replacement lined up is amateurish to say the least.

rank amateurism.  Let's be clear, one would be peeved off if this type of thing happened at a Sunday League pub side.   But to happen at a top side, with hundreds of millions of resources, is mouth-droppingly surprising.

rodgers has been telling us how much great work was going on behind the scenes.....if that is his definition of good work......I'd hate to see a bad transfer window.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: September 01, 2012, 06:47:12 PM »
I agree this is naivety on his part.

Move forward a bit and it's also given the media a nice little story if
Carroll flourishes at the Hammers and goals don't flow freely at our end 'til the window
reopens. That's pressure he created for himself as a result of his own poor judgement.

yes, the bloke talks way too much and forever blows his own trumpet.

now the media, in the months to come, will begin to bury him.  He has given them all the rope they need.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: September 01, 2012, 07:00:04 PM »
Exactly, dude...and Tes' revelation of FSG selling off the Boston Red sox players adds to the intrigue...
we are now owned by people who can't even stump up 7 mil for a player...
who want players off the books like carroll, aquilani, kuyt, maxi and bellamy first and foremost despite it leaves us in a dire state where it matters most...
who have done nothing about the stadium apart from go for the cheap option...

FSG are obviously in trouble financially...and all that 'we'll fork out for any player that is needed' milarky has long seemed hollow...

Methinks they're thinking that if they can get top five on nowt on their wage structure they can then sell on for a nice profit.

all you can say is that for rodgers it comes in a shape of 'reap what you sow'...he's been slagging carroll off since he's been here and got his just rewards...

part of the football so far has been encouraging...but treatment of players, keeping his mouth shut and realising that he's not the big 'i am' has been to our detriment......

come Xmas we'll know for sure if Rodgers is upto the job...

totally agree, barticus.

I finally caught FSG on earlier this summer.  All their wage-cutting, and downsizing, plus no genuine work on redeveloping Anfield, suggested to me, that these people had no knowledge, interest or motivation to help the club make progress.  It suggested they were going to fatten the club for market.

And my thinking has now moved on to speculate that Rafa was never even considered, because the yanks knew he was a shroud political animal, who would have created hell when he saw what FSG were doing.

thus they appointed a young naive immature bloke.....who would be easy to control and spin yarns to.

and they would spin the yarn to the fans that they were planning for the future, with such a young appointment.

maybe our owners are not acting as naively as we might believe.....maybe rodgers appointment happened for very different reasons, than the ones we imagined.

but like you, I have to believe that the yanks are preparing to sell the club in the short to medium term.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: September 01, 2012, 07:02:32 PM »
Jesus Tes, I never doubted you were a bloke!  :)

;)
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: September 01, 2012, 07:23:14 PM »
totally agree, barticus.

I finally caught FSG on earlier this summer.  All their wage-cutting, and downsizing, plus no genuine work on redeveloping Anfield, suggested to me, that these people had no knowledge, interest or motivation to help the club make progress.  It suggested they were going to fatten the club for market.

And my thinking has now moved on to speculate that Rafa was never even considered, because the yanks knew he was a shroud political animal, who would have created hell when he saw what FSG were doing.

thus they appointed a young naive immature bloke.....who would be easy to control and spin yarns to.

and they would spin the yarn to the fans that they were planning for the future, with such a young appointment.

maybe our owners are not acting as naively as we might believe.....maybe rodgers appointment happened for very different reasons, than the ones we imagined.

but like you, I have to believe that the yanks are preparing to sell the club in the short to medium term.

At absolute best it's all down to rank inexperience, but that still doesn't qualify as a 'reason'. As the owners know (better than anyone else) that they lack any knowledge and whilst they might build factual knowledge, it will take many years to get 'a feel' for the entirety of English and European football.
So as they are aware of their deficiencies they 'had' to appoint a structure 'at' the club, not part in Liverpool and the other part in Boston, that made up entirely for their problems and improve on the time from Moores taking over to them taking over, in order to move us forwards and start the process of making up ground.
We're not even on a par with the Moores' era. All the new deals and revenue are just filling the void left by the lack of CL income, but some of those are at levels that won't be repeated next time, so even more revenue will be required just to stand still.
So an improvement on the revenue from marketing ourselves but the football side, the thing the business is built upon is a mess. Appointing Dalglish for all the wrong reasons has been a cock up of epic proportions. Forget the legend aspect, put that aside as you would expect hard headed business men to do and look at his track record, his suitability and the one glaring fact that he essentially was retired. He hadn't been near a dug out in a decade and his last two football appointments before hanging up his tracksuit and heading for the golf course had been a disaster.
In the equivalent situation, newly owning a baseball team, I wouldn't make that appointment as my knowledge of baseball wouldn't allow me to know if you could walk back into baseball after such a long hiatus and be able to slot straight back in effortlessly. And that's just in theory. That's not even in a real world situation.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: September 01, 2012, 07:32:29 PM »
it all starts to make perfect sense, Tes, if one considers the possibility that FSG, from the outset, never intended to hold onto Liverpool FC for very long.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: September 01, 2012, 07:46:32 PM »
it all starts to make perfect sense, Tes, if one considers the possibility that FSG, from the outset, never intended to hold onto Liverpool FC for very long.

The way things have/are going certainly 'appears' to suggest that's the process being applied. My belief in the owners has never been at a lower ebb.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: September 01, 2012, 07:51:43 PM »
The way things have/are going certainly 'appears' to suggest that's the process being applied. My belief in the owners has never been at a lower ebb.

same here.

the club has finally been ruined.  It has been gutted, like a fish.

if this season pans out the way I imagine it to, we are going to see major fan protests by the end of the season.

one cannot gut a club, like they have been doing, and continue to challenge for trophies.  We are now a top 8 side, at best......more like mid table.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: September 01, 2012, 09:43:49 PM »
same here.

the club has finally been ruined.  It has been gutted, like a fish.

if this season pans out the way I imagine it to, we are going to see major fan protests by the end of the season.

one cannot gut a club, like they have been doing, and continue to challenge for trophies.  We are now a top 8 side, at best......more like mid table.

It used to be the title we aimed for, then the top four, now it feels like a challenge for a European place is the height of the club's ambition. And that's if all goes to plan.