December 11, 2019, 09:09:13 PM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window  (Read 123656 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window
« Reply #750 on: September 05, 2012, 02:52:10 PM »
it could have been worse though dude...it could have been owen...i will always look at stoke in a different light...

true, barticus.

been reading these past few days, that stoke are gonna pay him 1.5 million quid a year....30 grand a week for a lad way past his best, who will mostly be injured or on the bench.

bloddy ell, and people wonder why the game is in a financial mess.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: September 05, 2012, 09:42:15 PM »
true, barticus.

been reading these past few days, that stoke are gonna pay him 1.5 million quid a year....30 grand a week for a lad way past his best, who will mostly be injured or on the bench.

bloddy ell, and people wonder why the game is in a financial mess.

I had Peter Coates down as more savvy than that. Pay as you play. If you want to play and you want an income from football still, you accept. He can't expect to get a 'proper' contract as he doesn't offer the return any more.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: September 05, 2012, 10:02:01 PM »
I had Peter Coates down as more savvy than that. Pay as you play. If you want to play and you want an income from football still, you accept. He can't expect to get a 'proper' contract as he doesn't offer the return any more.

yes, pay as you play would be the way to go.

I hope the media have it wrong and that is how Stoke are playing it with Owen.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: September 06, 2012, 01:05:15 PM »

Alessandro Del Piero is set to confirm his move to Australian club Sydney FC this lunchtime, despite reported interest from Liverpool.

The 37-year-old former Juventus striker is due to hold a press conference in Turin at 12.30BST when it is expected he will confirm he has joined the A-League side.

Del Piero’s move to Sydney hit the headlines last week, however, completion of the deal has been delayed after Liverpool and Barclays Premier League rivals Southampton both reportedly made late offers.

Reds boss Brendan Rodgers last week admitted his frustration at failing to bring in a replacement for Andy Carroll after the striker was loaned to West Ham before Friday’s transfer deadline.

With Del Piero still available as a free agent Sydney chief executive Tony Pignata this morning claimed that Liverpool had made a late attempt to hijack the deal.

But even though negotiations continued on into today Del Piero has now seemingly been convinced to move Down Under.

“Liverpool have come in - and they’re a big club, there’s no denying that,” Pignata told Fox Sports Australia.

“But I think the attraction of Australia might sway us.

“We’re all anxious. I’m sure there’s a lot of fans out there hanging on to get a decision. We’ve just got to be patient. We’ve only been in these negotiations for a week and sometimes these sort of negotiations take longer.

“We’ll know soon one way or the other.”

In addition to Liverpool and Southampton, Sydney also have reportedly also fended off interest from Champions League clubs Celtic and Braga as well as Swiss side Sion.

Del Piero, who turns 38 in November, made 91 appearances for Italy and is the all-time leading goalscorer for Juventus.

He will join a list of former stars to have joined the A-League late into their career that includes the likes of Robbie Fowler, Romario, Juninho and Dwight Yorke.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: September 06, 2012, 01:26:43 PM »

Fulham are pursuing a complaint against Premier League rivals Liverpool over the chase for American midfielder Clint Dempsey this summer.

Dempsey was dropped from the Fulham squad after making clear his desire to leave this summer, with Liverpool the front-runners for his signature.

However, in the last moments of last Friday's (August 31) transfer window, Tottenham Hotspur signed the player instead, after Liverpool and Fulham failed to agree a fee.

The Cottagers reportedly demanded £1 million (€1.2 million/$1.6 million) more from Liverpool than other potential suitors, possibly because of the way in which the Merseysiders pursued the midfielder.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers admitted making an enquiry for the player during the summer, while at one point the the club's owner, the Fenway Sports Group, published a story on its website saying the player had signed from Fulham.

That story was removed after appearing online for several hours.

The Premier League has confirmed it has received a complaint from Fulham "regarding comments made by Liverpool FC officials" and that it is "looking into the matter".

As a result of the summer-long saga, Dempsey did not feature in either of Fulham's opening two games of the new season.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: September 06, 2012, 01:48:25 PM »
We did indeed make an enquiry and were quoted a price we didn't fancy, as will have happened a few times to us during the Summer and probably to every club in the PL.
Dempsey was either told or found out about the enquiry and it was his choice to act the way he did.

Rodgers did confirm we'd made an enquiry and  that is all. Every club will make numerous enquiries without ever taking the initial enquiry further.

I imagine the only possible problem will be the fools at NESN reporting we'd signed him. Americans and anything to do with football is like oil and water in most cases.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: September 10, 2012, 02:11:31 PM »
The King may have gone but we've acquired a Prince:

Football Prince Emin Altunsay joins Liverpool FC

Emin Altunay, the winner of this years Turkish reality programme, Futbol Prensi (Football Prince) was given a heroes send-off in his home town Hatay is Southern Turkey.

The show was setup to give one 14-16 year old prospect a once in a lifetime opportunity to join the Liverpool FC academy, train with the club for a year, receive an education and have the possibility of making his stay permanent.

The show was broadcast on state TV channel, TRT, thousands of young players from fifteen regions of Turkey participated in the competition for a place in the final.

Hatay locals gathered with traditional Turkish Drums and Zurna instruments to celebrate their local prospect's journey to Liverpool.

Altunay's father Semir Altunay said, "My son has always been crazy about football, when he was a young boy he would make footballs from newspaper's and play with them.

"I'm confident Emin will do well at Liverpool, I believe in him. He will get a proper footballing education and hopefully make his stay at the club permanent."

Altunay said, "I've been playing football since I was four years old. I've always wanted to play football, I want to thank everyone who has given me this opportunity, I won't let them down."

The 16-year-old Hatayspor youth player will join Liverpool on a season long trial, the Reds have the option to keep him on after this period.

Altunay has become the third Turkish player to join the Liverpool ranks this season, following summer signings Nuri Şahin and Samed Yeşil.

http://www.turkish-football.com/news_read.php?id=3492

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: September 17, 2012, 12:01:05 AM »

"Ah sh!t. What's that round thing flying towards me. I can't move out of it's way as my legs will break."

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: October 04, 2012, 08:25:17 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2212460/Manchester-United-spend-big-land-Thomas-Ince-warns-Ian-Holloway.html

It's interesting to notice how well Thomas Ince is doing lately. It's a pity he didn't stick around because you could see him getting quite a few chances to play nowadays...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: October 04, 2012, 11:41:19 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2212460/Manchester-United-spend-big-land-Thomas-Ince-warns-Ian-Holloway.html

It's interesting to notice how well Thomas Ince is doing lately. It's a pity he didn't stick around because you could see him getting quite a few chances to play nowadays...

The problem was (both him and his Dad) apparently wanted guarantees about getting chances in the first team and he wanted wage parity with the likes of Martin Kelly despite not having made a first team appearance or even getting on the bench, or being taken away with the first team squad (to gain experience). Therefore he wouldn't sign the contract offered (or at least what was being discussed).
Unfortunately we didn't get some sort of 'buy back' arrangement or sell on clause when he went to Blackpool. 

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: October 05, 2012, 05:13:19 PM »
Sterling is better than Ince so I have no regrets.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: October 05, 2012, 05:32:22 PM »
Sterling is better than Ince so I have no regrets.

And there is that too. Also 'the name' makes him more noticeable too, more than most youngsters of his (in)experience. He could come good but we only need a certain number of players of that type.

Talking of 'wide' players, I thought Assaidi was disappointing overall last night and non-existant in the second half before his substitution.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: October 05, 2012, 06:14:54 PM »
Yes Assaidi's final delivery and decision making can be much better. We need to use Borini's excellent movement much more. As he is making runs but with Assaidi he doesn't know when the ball will be crossed into the box.

Assaidi is young and hopefully will improve that side of his game and decision making will improve with experience. Hopefully.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: October 06, 2012, 01:06:49 AM »
Yes Assaidi's final delivery and decision making can be much better. We need to use Borini's excellent movement much more. As he is making runs but with Assaidi he doesn't know when the ball will be crossed into the box.

Assaidi is young and hopefully will improve that side of his game and decision making will improve with experience. Hopefully.

He's another that needs to learn when to hold onto it and when to move it quickly. You can see the potential for Assaidi and Borini to combine well and even interchange.

Borini's space creation needs to be utilised by a midfielder or two coming from deep into the space created and onto the end of a ball slipped in or a cross/pass from a wider source.