September 21, 2019, 09:06:05 PM

Author Topic: Italy: Another Major Match-Fixing Scandal  (Read 1657 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Italy: Another Major Match-Fixing Scandal
« on: April 03, 2012, 12:19:44 PM »

Bari defender Andrea Masiello reacts after scoring the own-goal against Lecce.
He has admitted being offered at least €50,000 to lose the Serie A game.

Andrea Masiello confesses over match-fixing in Serie A

Bari defender tells investigators he was offered €50,000 to lose, as latest scandal threatens to throw Italian football into disarray

At the climax of his football team's fiercely contested clash against local rivals Lecce last year, defender Andrea Masiello committed what appeared to be a ghastly error, poking a cross into his own goal instead of hoofing it clear.

Masiello, 27, collapsed dejectedly on the grass after his own-goal sealed a 2-0 defeat for Bari, which was already facing relegation from Italy's Serie A.

But the player has now admitted to investigators that he was offered at least €50,000 (£41,600) to turn the ball into the net to ensure Bari lost and help secure Lecce's survival in Serie A.

Magistrates who arrested Masiello and placed eight of his former Bari team-mates under investigation are now studying the team's final games of last season. They suspect matches thrown by the side from Puglia, in southern Italy, may have determined which teams went down and which qualified for Europe.

The investigation is the latest twist in a rumbling match-fixing scandal which threatens to throw Italian football into disarray.

The Bari players, wrote judge Giovanni Abbattista, "were more or less 'on the market', and not in the footballing sense of the term". Treated as idols by fans, they were no more than mercenaries, he said.

Despite its reputation for attractive football, Bari could not compete with Serie A's big guns last year and players reportedly feared the club would not pay their wages as it slipped into the relegation zone.

Magistrates have suggested management at Bari and Lecce were privy to the fixing of their match, but Bari's sporting director, Guido Angelozzi, denied any role.

Investigators suspect players of being approached to throw other games by a mysterious Balkan group of gamblers known as The Gypsies, which is suspected of paying off players from a number of Italian sides.

Last June, the Italian government established a match-fixing taskforce as the former Atalanta captain and Italy midfielder Cristiano Doni was banned for three and a half years for match fixing in Serie B, the former Lazio and Italy player Giuseppe Signori was banned for five years and 15 other players were banned for between one and five years.

Masiello's arrest moves the scandal out of Serie B and places it firmly in Serie A. In an interview last month with Italy's La Repubblica, Macedonian Hristiyan Ilievski, the alleged head of The Gypsies, claimed he had approached Bari players when he heard the team was destined for relegation.

Masiello, he said, "seemed to have clear ideas about what he wanted and what he had to do".

Ilievski claimed that in Bari the local mafia was already involved in match fixing. Bari players have claimed they were under pressure from the heads of "ultra" groups of supporters to throw games at the end of the season to assist betting scams.

The Italian football federation, which is recovering from a previous match-influencing scandal which led to relegation for the top side, Juventus, called the arrests "sensational developments" and said it would take swift action against any players who were found guilty.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/apr/02/andrea-masiello-match-fixing-serie-a
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Italy: Another Major Match-Fixing Scandal
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 10:50:17 PM »
Corruption in a Western democracy - never.  :D

The Italian is a pitiful mess compared to what it was not so long ago. European competition is always much more interesting with strong Italians team in it.

I can't wait for the Russians to hold the 2018 World Cup. They probably make the Italians look like rank amateurs.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 10:55:31 PM »
In fairness to Italian team Tes they are starting to get stronger again.

Milan would put it up to most in the Premier League as would Juventus and Napoli. Italian football is slightly on the rise whereas the quality of the Premier League has got worse.

As for the corruption Id say thats just the tip of the iceberg. Its rife in Italy.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 11:05:47 PM »
In fairness to Italian team Tes they are starting to get stronger again.

Milan would put it up to most in the Premier League as would Juventus and Napoli. Italian football is slightly on the rise whereas the quality of the Premier League has got worse.

As for the corruption Id say thats just the tip of the iceberg. Its rife in Italy.

The standard of the Premier League has always been way overstated by the media but the quality of the competition is the worse it's been for a long time.

Hopefully clubs will start to see that money isn't the answer to everything and that the highest quality coaching at all levels and age groups is the way forward.
Until English football loses the idea that effort, passion, commitment, sweat and physicality come a long way ahead of techique, technique and technique, we will continue to flounder.

We need to look at our first team coaching setup as it simply isn't delivering the kinds of results it needs to. The movement and understanding of how to utilise space needs to be drilled into our players as does the need to close down and compress space all over the pitch at all times.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 11:26:12 PM »
Corruption in a Western democracy - never.  :D

The Italian is a pitiful mess compared to what it was not so long ago. European competition is always much more interesting with strong Italians team in it.

I can't wait for the Russians to hold the 2018 World Cup. They probably make the Italians look like rank amateurs.

that's  true.

the russian world cup is gonna be one where all the big bad-ars.ed vodka luving mafiaoso come out to play.

we'll be lucky if we see any genuine footy at all.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 07:38:52 PM »

we'll be lucky if we see any genuine footy at all.

At least it will be an improvement on what we've had to witness since hogmanay died down.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 08:43:37 PM »
At least it will be an improvement on what we've had to witness since hogmanay died down.

true.

I'll be getting in the beer, as I try to spot the dodgy penalties, dodgy sending-offs, dodgy dives, dodgy head connections, dodgy oscar theatrics.

Like the old Spot-the-Ball.....for the 2018 world cup, I reckon they should bring in a Spot-the-Dodge competition.