September 26, 2017, 07:10:23 PM

Author Topic: our new manager  (Read 67527 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
our new manager
« on: April 07, 2012, 11:05:57 PM »
okay, a thread on who might be our new manager.

Within Britain, my two are Benitez or O'Neill.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: our new manager
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 11:09:39 PM »
an interesting article I spotted today on a Wycombe player, Paul Hyde, and much mention of Martin O'Neill in it. 

WANDERING DOWN MEMORY LANE
Posted on: Wed 28 Mar 2012

In a new series tracking ex-players and reliving their Wycombe Wanderers memories, Craig Woods delves into the careers of some of the names who shaped the club's history.

Paul Hyde

As part of Martin O'Neill's golden era Paul Hyde, or Hydey to those chanting his name on the Adams Park terrace, was an ever present rock who made Premier League saves even in the days of non-league football. In fact O'Neill used to tell Hydey frequently that 'had we been playing Real Madrid you would've saved all five of those today pal, but because it was Colchester you let all five in'. It was part of the mind games that drove Hyde and the rest of the squad to the successes they enjoyed. The former shot-stopper reminisces:

"We were on the way back from Macclesfield once having lost for the first time that season and the lads were all having a drink and playing some cards. Martin walked down the aisle and said 'no drinking, and if you're going to talk, talk about football'.

"Being the new guy on the block I piped up with 'you're out of order boss, we all sulk differently, and tomorrow I'll be miserable with the wife and read every paper there is from the minute I wake up to the minute I go to bed hoping that the result would change. I could tell you every goal scorer in every game.' Martin just stared for a while before calmly saying 'fair enough fellas, get back to your card game'.

"A few weeks later we were travelling back on the bus and Martin comes to me totally out of the blue and says 'Hydey, last week Morecambe played Runcorn. What was the score and who were the scorers? (for the record, I got it right!)'."

The affection for Martin O'Neill is always apparent when talking to one of his team and it was the Northern Irishman that rekindled a love of the game for the goalkeeper who nearly took a very different career path.

"At 15 I was playing county table tennis. I'd been disillusioned with football because of the big jump between senior men's football and boys football.

"That year I was picked up by Hillingdon Borough Football Club where I played 300 plus games in the Southern League and had trials with Crystal Palace and Fulham reserves.

"At the time I was a bit of a mad dog and was always first to the bar. I got kicked out of Fulham for that. I remember I went out drinking with Ray Houghton once. All of a sudden I hear a shout 'Hydey, the gaffer's coming' and we both legged it our separate ways. Of course I ran straight into Malky McDonald (then Fulham boss) and Ray ran clear. He went on to an illustrious career and I never got invited back!

"At 19 I signed for my local club, Hayes Football Club in the Ryman Premier League, where I played 450 games. It was one sodden evening at Hayes, in proper mud, when a guy called Martin O'Neill walked through the gates. He was going to buy a left-back called Gary Keen, but he ended up buying me.

"He called me up after and said would you be interested and I said 'of course I would'. Wycombe had just won the FA Trophy and I needed a change after eight years at Hayes. I remember asking 'do you supply your goalkeepers with goalie gloves?' and Martin said 'I would do if they could catch a ball. But I tell you what, for you, I'll buy some gloves.' That was all I needed to hear!"

And so Hydey became part of a squad that was to drive Wycombe Wanderers up to the realms of Football League status and within a whisker of making the Division Two (now League 1 play-offs) at the first attempt. Hyde maintains it was a run pioneered by a man who knew how to get the best out of every individual.

"Martin always knew the right thing to say. One time he came into the dressing room and commented 'you know, some lads in here I absolutely admire, others I totally despise.' Then he turned his back, walked out and said, 'have a good weekend lads'. And that was it! He'd be out the door and everyone would be left wondering who he was talking about! He'd always let you prepare how you wanted to though. If Simon Garner wanted a fag before a game then that was fine, so long as he performed."

One of the club's finest achievements in that run was a day no supporter will ever forget at Wembley in the 1994 play-off final against Preston North End. For Hydey, however the day holds barely any memory whatsoever after a viral infection left him flailing on the ropes throughout the whole period leading up to the game.

"I'd been in quarantine the week before and had lost a stone in weight, hadn't eaten a thing. When I woke up on the day of the final Martin made me have a huge breakfast as a test of my health. I remember Keith Scott and Jason Cousins sitting next to me at the breakfast table and they kept taking stuff off my plate to make sure that I could play.

Paul Hyde
Hyde during his playing days

"Having passed that I then got called out for a fitness test. Martin literally threw a ball at me three or four times to catch, after which he said, 'right you're fit.' I don't remember much of the day at all. At half-time they found me asleep in a toilet cubicle in the Wembley changing rooms and threw ice down my neck. I could barely kick a ball past the penalty area I was so weak. During the celebrations at Adams Park I looked at a bottle of beer and decided home was the best place for me. That was it for two weeks, bed ridden."

Hydey maintains that was the day he earned his spurs with O'Neill and the experience was due to serve him well when a whole new era swept in at Adams Park and changed things for the worse.

Following O'Neill's departure, the appointment of Alan Smith was to signal the end for many of the squad who had bought such success to the club.

"We trained at Bisham Abbey for the first time under Smith and his opening line was 'right lads, you all know me, but I don't know you. I've worked with the likes of (Ian) Wright and (Mark) Bright, and got into the semi-finals of both cups to which Glyn Creaser joked 'yeah and got them relegated.' That was the end of Glyn."

Hydey, who beams with pride of his time at Wycombe, is adamant Smith tried to end his career after the former Palace boss struggled to win over the popularity of the Wanderers crowd.

"He didn't like me because I, alongside many other players, were more popular around the place than him. We had a fantastic family club and he wanted it to be allabout him. He told me I wouldn't be there at the end of the season then threatened that if I put in a transfer request I'd never play for the club again. Sadly that is what happened. Whilst still at the club, but not playing, there were days when he'd tell a coach just to make me run to a tree and back all day. I asked the PFA for advice and they told me just to do what he asked."

Hyde eventually found reprieve under former boss O'Neill, who signed him for his new club Leicester City. Despite a step up the Football League ladder, the Wycombe man through and through found it hard to say his goodbyes.

"I don't think I was in the right frame of mind for that move to be honest. I was devastated to leave Wycombe. This was my home, this was where I loved playing football. I sat on the bench at Leicester and occasionally played in front of big crowds in the reserves. After a while I took some ill advice from one of the coaching staff to join Leyton Orient on a more secure contract. I took it and in doing so let Martin down. I don't think he ever forgave me that, and I apologise sincerely to him now."

His time at Leyton Orient was ended by a former Wycombe forward John Williams, who collided badly with Hyde to break his rib and his leg, with doctors telling the goalkeeper he'd never play again.

But Hydey fought back to feature for Dover Athletic, where he played a further 350 games as player, captain and coach. He also became the joint oldest keeper to play in the FA Cup last year for Whitstable Town. Full time he now takes charge as a P.E teacher whilst training to do his FIFA A licence coaching badges. But his time with Wycombe, and namely his part in a golden era, will never leave himor his family.

"This was my club and every player was a best mate because we were a band of brothers - we stuck together through everything. It became our life.

"The best thing that happened in my football career was meeting and playing under Martin O'Neill. The worst thing that happened in my football career was meeting and playing under Alan Smith."

http://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/page/LatestNews/0,,10430~2698199,00.html
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 12:06:02 AM »
okay, a thread on who might be our new manager.

Within Britain, my two are Benitez or O'Neill.

O'Neill would probably restore Carroll to being the 'Beast of Gallowgate' and then all we'd hear was how right the King was to sign him. For that reason, I'm out.  :D
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 12:52:37 AM »
I have been a fan of Martin O'Neill for near 20 years.

He would have restored us to our previous glories, I reckon.

His passion, and intelligence, allied with the passionate Liverpool crowd, would have turned us into the unbeatables.

He could have had the freedom of the city.  He would have had fans eating out of his hand.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 02:27:32 AM »
It is, of course, hard not to like such a nice man as O'Neill. At the same time there's 2 things I wonder:
1) Would he be able to take on a "big" club like ours?
2) Innit like a decade too late to sign him.

My shortlist would be:

1) Brendan Rodgers
2) Laurent Blanc
3) "Loco"

There you have it in black and white!
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 03:27:28 AM »
It is, of course, hard not to like such a nice man as O'Neill. At the same time there's 2 things I wonder:

Martin has excelled at every club he has ever been at.  He has always over-achieved......even when having only limited resources.  As for his age.....he is 60 (but a very young 60).  Ideally mid 50s would be best....but Martin could easily give us ten years.  Managers are like fine wine.....best with age behind them.

My shortlist would be:

1) Brendan Rodgers
2) Laurent Blanc
3) "Loco"

I suspect that we will be returning to zis list, Pike.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 10:35:43 AM »
I suspect that we will be returning to zis list, Pike.

For the record, I estimate the probability our next manager will be a name from that list to be some 0,0001 %. I so wish the owners could see the light the way I can. ;D
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 12:11:16 PM »

My shortlist would be:

1) Brendan Rodgers
2) Laurent Blanc
3) "Loco"

A more appropriate colour methinks.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 11:56:32 PM »
A more appropriate colour methinks.

Could you please elaborate on that one a bit?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 11:41:46 AM »
Could you please elaborate on that one a bit?

I thought red would be more appropriate than black.  ;D

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 12:02:43 PM »
I thought red would be more appropriate than black.  ;D

Of course!

;D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 10:25:46 PM »
tis funny, but I often go in on a Saturday evening and watch the reaction to the latest defeat, in RAWK (redandwhitekop).    I posted there for years.....til I was banned for life.

Anyroads, if you as much as mention Benitez coming back, you are risking a ban.

And any mention of the King possibly not being very good, is also a dangerous pre-occupation.

They all have their heads in the sand.  Funny (if sad) to behold.

Any of you post there, or in any of the other forums?  Or usenet?  What is the general consensus in these other forums?   Did they spot Dallglish's problems as early as we did in here (after 5 or 6 games of this season)?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 10:41:18 PM »
tis funny, but I often go in on a Saturday evening and watch the reaction to the latest defeat, in RAWK (redandwhitekop).    I posted there for years.....til I was banned for life.

Anyroads, if you as much as mention Benitez coming back, you are risking a ban.

And any mention of the King possibly not being very good, is also a dangerous pre-occupation.

They all have their heads in the sand.  Funny (if sad) to behold.

Any of you post there, or in any of the other forums?  Or usenet?  What is the general consensus in these other forums?   Did they spot Dallglish's problems as early as we did in here (after 5 or 6 games of this season)?

RAWK goes into meltdown over anything and everything and the amount of people that get banned and threads that get locked almost renders it pointless as a forum for discussion.
TLW has a large share of anti-Rafa-lites, most of whom, funnily enough, seem to be staunch defenders of Dalglish.

What I never understand is what basis or evidence are people using to think that Kenny will 'put it right' when they are saying he needs to be given another season to 'put it right'. Surely if he knew what was wrong, he would also know what was right and would do/have done the latter rather than having done the former. So now he knows he's signed the wrong players, but that's with the benefit of hindsight. How do we know his 'foresight' won't be equally off beam this Summer also?

There are quite a few that have pointed out the problems in a very constructive way but even that gets shouted down. Our results are not even something Hodgson managed to achieve but the 'improved' style of football seems to sway some. For others he's King Kenny and that's enough.

It's scary how similar things are to his time at Newcastle. He did well last season with the squad he inherited, same as at Newcastle. It's once he starts putting his stamp on things that they start to unravel somewhat.
Again, 'his' Newcastle team also had problems scoring goals.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 10:59:21 PM »
What I never understand is what basis or evidence are people using to think that Kenny will 'put it right' when they are saying he needs to be given another season to 'put it right'. Surely if he knew what was wrong, he would also know what was right and would do/have done the latter rather than having done the former. So now he knows he's signed the wrong players, but that's with the benefit of hindsight. How do we know his 'foresight' won't be equally off beam this Summer also?

yes, I noticed very early on, that it was deja vu, all over again  (re kenny's time at newcastle, and his second coming at anfield).

as you say, the further he gets from good teams, i.e. as he tries to put his stamp on a new team, buying and selling, and tactically.....the more it turns to poo.

to be honest, kenny is not fit to lead any premiership side......indeed, i think without massive funds, he is useless at any level, professionally.

yes.....the sycophants refuse to accept the fault could be kenny's....and now that kenny has spotted that there was a problem with new players, he will suddenly not make the same mistakes in the next transfer window.   FFS   It's laughable.   ;D

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 08:20:18 AM »
It's quite scary how some fellow fans have been diverted by us winning the Carling Cup. When i mention that Kenny needs to step down and take an ambassador role, they almost shout 'blasphemy!' 
I think the FSG sell up started off as an April Fool's (there was an 'Andy Carroll cuts his hair off' one too - which i was hoping beyond hope that was true.
But FSG are businessmen, they must be reading the forums and listening out, and they surely must be picking up on how it's not working with Kenny. Loyalty to Kenny can only go so far. I for one don't want him (or Comolli) spending any money in the summer. Can you imagine what Fergie, let alone Rafa (1.5 for maxi etc) would have got for that lot...
Unless businessmen completely lose their wits when they get involved in Football, I'm assuming that hard decisions will be taken in the summer.