June 25, 2019, 11:34:38 AM

Author Topic: Dalglish tops British football’s managerial rich-list  (Read 2135 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Dalglish tops British football’s managerial rich-list
« on: March 20, 2013, 06:58:41 PM »

Out-of-work Kenny Dalglish will finish the season as Britain's best-paid manager and the fifth highest-paid in the world, new figures from France Football magazine have revealed.

Liverpool accounts showed they were forced to pay off Dalglish and his staff with £9.5 million at the start of the season after deciding to replace him with Brendan Rodgers.

According to the magazine, £8.52m of that went straight into the pocket of the Scotsman, making him this season's highest-paid British coach without even having to manage a single game.

Dalglish was on a reported salary of around £3.5m while he was at Anfield and a tweet went viral when he left the club that read: "Kenny Dalglish has asked that the £8 million compensation owed to him after his sacking be put towards new Liverpool signings. Amazing gesture."

Angry Liverpool fans then bombarded the Liverpool Echo with phone calls asking why the local paper had not reported Dalglish's gesture.

The Echo were forced to publish a reply saying: "The simple reason is it's not true."

Dalglish won the League Cup for Liverpool last season but was criticised for paying out bloated transfer fees on unconvincing signings with the £35m paid for Newcastle striker Andy Carroll – the highest fee ever paid for a British player – drawing particular criticism.

Dalglish was fifth in the overall managers' high-earners list which was unsurprisingly topped by Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho who earns €14m (£12m) a year.

The highest-paid manager currently working in the Premier League is actually Arsene Wenger (€9.4m) who is sixth on the list overall.

Manchester City's Roberto Mancini is eighth on the list just making slightly more than Sir Alex Ferguson.

On the players' list, huge endorsement deals mean David Beckham just edges out Barcelona's Lionel Messi for top spot.

Top 10 best-paid coaches in 2012-13 (Source France Football – figures in Euros)

1. Jose Mourinho (Real Madrid): 14m

2. Carlo Ancelotti (PSG): 12m

3. Marcelo Lippi (Guangzhou Evergrande) : 11m

4. Guus Hiddink (Anzhi Makhachkala): 10.8m

5. Kenny Dalglish (Unemployed): 10m

6. Arsene Wenger (Arsenal): 9.4m

7. Fabio Capello (Russia): 9.2m

8. Roberto Mancini (Manchester City) 7.6m

9. Sir Alex Ferguson (Manchester United) 7.5 m

10. José Antonio Camacho (China) 6.1m

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/dalglish-finish-season-britain-best-paid-manager-193054236.html
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Dalglish tops British football’s managerial rich-list
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 07:01:12 PM »
Cheers Kenny, for helping the club out when it was in a tight spot.

I always reckoned that Kenny came back to help his pension plan, rather than help the club. 

If he loved the club that much, wouldn;t he have done the job for peanuts. 

Truth be told, he could never have got another job at this level......Liverpool was the only possible gig in town.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 12:18:36 AM »
Cheers Kenny, for helping the club out when it was in a tight spot.

I always reckoned that Kenny came back to help his pension plan, rather than help the club. 

If he loved the club that much, wouldn;t he have done the job for peanuts. 

Truth be told, he could never have got another job at this level......Liverpool was the only possible gig in town.

The caretaker role was a double edge sword for FSG, a potentially dangerous thing for the club and a no lose for Kenny. We said what we said at the time Dude, and as we said at the time, if he'd have come out and stated on his first day as caretaker that it was to help the club out until the end of the season and that would be it, there was no chance of it being any more permanent than that, there'd have been no problem.
The danger was always that he'd do OK and then the clamour would begin for him to be appointed permanently, whilst overlooking his post Blackburn career.

I can understand FSG getting it wrong by offering him the job full time, but not Kenny accepting it.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 01:16:03 AM »
I can understand FSG getting it wrong by offering him the job full time, but not Kenny accepting it.

yes, I suspect it was a case of Kanny Kenny, as opposed to Devoted Loyal Saviour Kenny.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 09:43:09 AM »
In  a way a  tragic ending to his illustrous history at the club. But then again, cash is King or as one of the greatest thinker's once put it:

All fixed, fast frozen relations, with their train of ancient and venerable prejudices and opinions, are swept away, all new-formed ones become antiquated before they can ossify. All that is solid melts into air, all that is holy is profaned, and man is at last compelled to face with sober senses his real condition of life and his relations with his kind.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 09:45:17 AM by Martinmarx »
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 12:13:42 AM »
In  a way a  tragic ending to his illustrous history at the club. But then again, cash is King or as one of the greatest thinker's once put it:

All fixed, fast frozen relations, with their train of ancient and venerable prejudices and opinions, are swept away, all new-formed ones become antiquated before they can ossify. All that is solid melts into air, all that is holy is profaned, and man is at last compelled to face with sober senses his real condition of life and his relations with his kind.

I don't see how that translates to anything close to 'cash is king'. It seems to translate as Rafa isn't given the respect he deserves, Rodgers philosophy is just re-heated left overs, and like religion, is based on nothing remotely tangible and a day at the Mother in law's still makes your guts convulse violently.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.