September 19, 2019, 01:53:42 PM

Author Topic: our new manager  (Read 94724 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: our new manager
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 07:06:58 PM »
It's sad how selective some fans' memories can be. They use the trophies he won with us and the league title with Blackburn as some sort of evidence that he 'is the man'. Convenient how his most recent foray in the managerial chair at Newcastle is forgotten, and they don't question why no chairman, since he left Newcastle, has taken the chance to employ him as their manager.

Also the context and circumstances of his Blackburn reign have to be taken into consideration and questions asked as to why he didn't remain as manager to defend the title and take Blackburn into the European Cup. Something he missed out on doing with us.

There's no doubting his past service to the club and his love of the club and the people of Merseyside.

Even when Arsenal fans have wanted Wenger replaced, I don't remember George Graham's name being shouted too loudly. He did afterall win them a trophy or six in less than 9 seasons.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 08:00:54 PM »
Loyalty to Kenny can only go so far. I for one don't want him (or Comolli) spending any money in the summer. Can you imagine what Fergie, let alone Rafa (1.5 for maxi etc) would have got for that lot...

like you barticus, I would vomit with rage, if I thought Dalglish and Comolli were allowed to spend another chunk of good money this summer.

we are living through strange uncharted days and weeks.  Anyone else would have been told privately that they were out the door come May time.  But Dalglish is not your usual guy....thus, it is almost heresy to suggest that the King is full of tripe and useless.

the yanks are suffering from not installing a top chief executive last year.  Everything else has dripped down from that initial error.   Our absent owners are now flying blind.  They are in a storm right now and have no idea what to do, or who to turn to.   

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 08:07:03 PM »
It's sad how selective some fans' memories can be. They use the trophies he won with us and the league title with Blackburn as some sort of evidence that he 'is the man'. Convenient how his most recent foray in the managerial chair at Newcastle is forgotten, and they don't question why no chairman, since he left Newcastle, has taken the chance to employ him as their manager.

Also the context and circumstances of his Blackburn reign have to be taken into consideration and questions asked as to why he didn't remain as manager to defend the title and take Blackburn into the European Cup. Something he missed out on doing with us.

There's no doubting his past service to the club and his love of the club and the people of Merseyside.

Even when Arsenal fans have wanted Wenger replaced, I don't remember George Graham's name being shouted too loudly. He did afterall win them a trophy or six in less than 9 seasons.

good points, Tes.

the anfield crowd have been given far too much credence in the past couple of decades.  There are as many f.uk.wits in our fanbase, as there are at any other club.     

During our era of domination, our chief executive ruled the roost.  Responsible management and decision making from the top is essential.

as for kenny at blackburn.....he spent a fortune and created an awful side.   David Batty, wow, I wouldn;t have him in my pub team.  Shearer and Sutton were what won him the title....even then, they stumbled over the line when Utd messed up in London, on that final day of the season.

i actually had a look the other night, at that blackburn squad, from 1995 title winning year.  It's fair to say that none of the lads, beyond shearer, pulled up any trees after that season.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 08:13:25 PM »
It's just so odd that they buy into a sport, which, by their own admission they know nothing about, and they don't as far as we know, surround themselves with the people to make up for that lack of knowledge.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 09:00:58 PM »
It's just so odd that they buy into a sport, which, by their own admission they know nothing about, and they don't as far as we know, surround themselves with the people to make up for that lack of knowledge.

in fairness, they probably thought they had installed the best people.

but they needed to listen to people who knew the score.  Should have given them your, or my, telephone number.     :D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 07:15:39 PM »

Liverpool’s last-gasp 3-2 win over relegation strugglers Blackburn on Tuesday night has seen the pressure lifted off beleaguered manager Kenny Dalglish for the time being, but it must be only a matter of time before he’s given the boot given the Reds’ poor league position.

Liverpool are currently eighth in the table with five games to go and a point behind city rivals Everton. That is a shocking state of affairs when you consider how much the Reds have splashed out on top-class players in the past 18 months, compared to Everton who literally don’t have two pennies to rub together.

With the amount of cash Liverpool’s American owners have pumped into the club, qualification for the Champions League next season was a minimum requirement. Instead the Anfield side are 13 points off 4th place and without a cat in hell’s chance of catching up Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea or Newcastle.

As for challenging for the title – which must have been on the owners’ radar given the Red Sox level of spending on Andy Carroll, Luis Suarez, Charlie Adam, Stewart Downing, Jordan Henderson and Jose Enrique to join world-class players like Steven Gerrard, Pepe Reina, Dirk Kuyt and Jamie Carragher at the club – Liverpool are, look away now if you are a fan, “only” 33 points off Manchester United at present.

Even if the Reds win the FA Cup this season – for which they are a 3/1 shot with most bookies – I don’t think any reasonable observer could argue that Dalglish should stay beyond the summer. The league is everything and quite simply Dalglish has failed to capitalise on the great squad of players at his disposal. This is of course before you consider the embarrassment the Scot is bringing to the club with his paranoid rants about conspiracies and the shambolic way he dealt with the Suarez racism issue earlier in the season.

I strongly suspect Dalglish will walk in the summer as it’s not Liverpool’s way to sack one of their beloved sons. But I am absolutely convinced he will leave the post soon after the season has ended as everyone knows, not least the bigwigs at Anfield, that he has failed miserably as manager. Which brings us onto the question of who will replace him.

The joint-favourites with the bookies are Jose “The Special One” Mourinho and Martin O’Neill, both a top-priced 7/1 with BetVictor. Why Mourinho is one of the favourites is hard to fathom. He’s currently in charge of the biggest side in the world, doing exceptionally well there, and even if he did come back to England to manage it wouldn’t be for a club that has become an also-ran of the Premier League. Personally, I suspect he’ll take over at Manchester United when Alex Ferguson retires, but that is probably a few years off.

O’Neill, on the other hand, is too long at 7/1 and in my eyes should be the clear favourite to take over from Dalglish. Every club the Northern Irishman has managed at he’s been successful and no one in football deserves a chance to manage one of the big English clubs more than him. He was supposedly second in line the last time the Reds went scouting for a manager and if sense had prevailed he’d be at Anfield right now instead of Liverpool fans having to endure the agony of Hodgson and now Dalglish’s impotent reigns. O’Neill is the master at getting the best out of underperforming players (see Sunderland at present) and with the whole Irish / Liverpool link going on he would certainly be a very popular choice. At 7/1 he is a steal and absolutely worth getting behind with some hard-earned cash.

Next in the betting is Andre Villas-Boas at best odds of 9/1 with BetVictor. 9’s is a horrible price given his stock is currently so low after getting sacked at Chelsea only a month or so ago. There’s no doubt the Portuguese is a talented coach, but he needs to rebuild his reputation on the continent before trying his luck with another major English club. One to avoid.

Possibly the worst value bet for this market, though, is equal fourth favourite at 12/1 with SkyBet and Paddy Power – Jamie Carragher. I know Liverpool like to promote their own, but please. He has no managerial experience and the top bods will definitely want to shy away from nepotism after getting burnt with Dalglish. Plus, would any of the foreign players at Liverpool be able to understand Carragher’s team-talks given his impenetrable Scouse accent?!

Also at 12/1 is Unai Emery, the current boss of Valencia whose team is getting rave reviews in the sporting press. He’s young and talented but I have to ask myself do Liverpool want another Spanish manager after the Benitez affair went sour? Also, he hasn’t won anything yet so 12’s seems very short indeed.

Beyond the top five in the odds come the usual contenders: Rafa Benitez at 14/1 (Stan James), Didier Deschamps at 16/1 (Paddy Power), Gus Hiddink at 20/1 (SkyBet) and Frank Rijkaard at 25/1 (Paddy Power). None of them look appealing as betting propositions.

Recommended bet: Bet 2pts on Martin O’Neill to become next permanent Liverpool manager at 7/1 with BetVictor.

http://www.betasia.com/liverpool/496989/premier-league-next-permanent-liverpool-manager-betting-preview

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 11:39:17 PM »
The usual unimaginative, short sighted bunch of names being banded about. We just need Alan Curbishley's and Alan Pardew's names in there (two for the Carra types) and the list of 'the uninspiring' is complete.

Maybe Martin's on to something with Brendan Rodgers. I still see the likes of Paul Lambert and Roberto Martinez ahead of Rodgers due to their greater experience.

If Martinez leaves Wigan at the end of the season having kept them up, I hope they sink next season and keep sinking. It would serve the Taggart loving Dave Whelan right. He ought to be pleased to finish 17th every season considering the finances and revenues. Fathead's got to be favourite for a return there.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 12:02:47 AM »
if we're going the brendan rodgers route, then why not actually go for someone that is winning things

e.g. the southampton boss, Nigel Adkins, is now on the brink of two straight successive promotions (they will be in the premiership come August)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 12:37:45 AM »
I really don't think we can trust the job to an 'up and comer'. If FFP even has any gums, nevermind teeth, if we're not back in that top four by the end of the 2013/14 season, we'll be locked out for good.

I just hope FSG are taking good advice from the right people. My worry is they wouldn't know who 'the right people' are.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 01:19:11 AM »
My worry is they wouldn't know who 'the right people' are.

hey, stop repeating my script!

:D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 04:13:40 PM »
hey, stop repeating my script!

:D

I wonder who's work the Comolli (mutual) dismissal was?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 04:24:04 PM »
I wonder who's work the Comolli (mutual) dismissal was?

we could all claim - I AM SPARTICUS!

re real decision.....good question.

would it be a surprise if someone like david dein was already quietly working and advising, behind the scenes?

to sack Comolli was a big decision....and obviously from his statement, dalglish had no part in it.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 04:36:52 PM »
would it be a surprise if someone like david dein was already quietly working and advising, behind the scenes?

They took advice (re Comolli) of one 'of their own' in Billy Beane originally. Hopefully after nearly 18 months in soccerball, they've done a spot of networking and learned who the Billy Beanes of football are, and made the connections.

I'd be surprised to see Dein appointed as CEO, because of his age, but a board apointment would be no surprise. Henry appears to be much smarter than he looks, and I don't mean that in any disrespectful way. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 05:05:52 PM »
Dalglish has received a vote of confidence:

Does Damien Comolli's departure have any impact upon Kenny Dalglish's position as manager?

Absolutely not. We've got great confidence in Kenny. We feel the team is going to make strides in the future and he enjoys our full support.

From: http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/tom-werner-on-comolli-decision

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2012, 05:08:43 PM »
They took advice (re Comolli) of one 'of their own' in Billy Beane originally. Hopefully after nearly 18 months in soccerball, they've done a spot of networking and learned who the Billy Beanes of football are, and made the connections.

I'd be surprised to see Dein appointed as CEO, because of his age, but a board apointment would be no surprise. Henry appears to be much smarter than he looks, and I don't mean that in any disrespectful way.

yes, hopefully they are learning......comolli was a mistake, part of the learning curve.

yes, dein could even just play an advisory role, even from london.

as for Henry being smart....i meant to say this before.  But last year, I was talking to my american friend....she is a journalist for a newspaper in Florida. She has met all the big players...she has a passion for football (and Liverpool).   She interviewed the likes of george best etc, during his playing days in the states.

Anyroads, she told me that she has met and chatted to Henry in the past.....and she was full of praise.  She says he is one smart cookie.  And she said that despite what you might read, or think, he has money to burn.  And he is very smart about achieving things.  If he turns his mind to something, he (and his associates) has all the resources needed to make it happen.  She said a lot more, but my memory is dire.