November 13, 2019, 06:36:59 AM

Author Topic: our new manager  (Read 117199 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: our new manager
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2012, 05:10:15 PM »
Dalglish has received a vote of confidence:

Does Damien Comolli's departure have any impact upon Kenny Dalglish's position as manager?

Absolutely not. We've got great confidence in Kenny. We feel the team is going to make strides in the future and he enjoys our full support.

From: http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/tom-werner-on-comolli-decision

to quote that girl from the early 60s.....with an FA Cup semi-final two days away, they would say that, wouldn;t they
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 01:00:48 AM »
How about replacing Kenny with Shanghai Shenhua's manager?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2128633/Nicolas-Anelka-enters-management-Shanghai-Shenhua.html  ;D

It follows the Arsenal blueprint, at least by association.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2012, 04:36:54 AM »
story going around that Steve Clarke, our first team coach, will be leaving at the end of the season.

if true, it sounds like there will be major change at the club this summer. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2012, 11:35:47 PM »
I've said it before, but I have a hunch about Guardiola being
our next manager.

Supposing at the end of next season, if the new players and
whoever we sign in the Summer have been blooded in Europe
via the Europa league and we've qualified for the Champions
league 2013/2014.

If we're to establish ourselves as a presence in that tournament
over the next decade then, I'd say the owners would have a guy
like him on any shortlist (particularly if he's finished his break then)?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2012, 09:58:58 PM »
His 'Pako', Tito Vilanova, is taking over Barca, so I'd rather judge him without Vilanova at his side. Rijkaard hasn't done so well without Henk Ten Cate and it will be interesting to see if Guardiola fairs any better.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2012, 02:30:08 PM »
How about Benitez and Guardiola?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
possibly a dream team, Barticus.....experience allied with youth/local current spanish league knowledge.

tho would guardiola be prepared to take a back stage.

if Liverpool were to pull off that coup, it sure would make a massive statement.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2012, 10:25:01 PM »
possibly a dream team, Barticus.....experience allied with youth/local current spanish league knowledge.

tho would guardiola be prepared to take a back stage.

if Liverpool were to pull off that coup, it sure would make a massive statement.

Well the Spanish here are convinced that Guardiola wants a part time/not full on job at the mo after the pressures of the Barca one...most think he'll be England manager which i frown at quite a bit...
but if he wants to take the back stage ...then a Benitez/Guardiola team up might be perfect..

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2012, 10:28:42 PM »
It would be interesting to see if Guardiola would take the job as assistant to Rafa. Maybe less pressure, a spell out of the limelight etc.

It's certainly something to ponder over.

It's doubtful it would happen but then again who knows in football.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2012, 10:49:58 PM »
Well the Spanish here are convinced that Guardiola wants a part time/not full on job at the mo after the pressures of the Barca one...most think he'll be England manager which i frown at quite a bit...
but if he wants to take the back stage ...then a Benitez/Guardiola team up might be perfect..

like Tes, I am very doubtful it would happen.

but agreed, it could be a perfect double act.....especially since guardialoa claims that he wants less pressure and a break from the full rigours of management.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2012, 11:36:23 AM »
It didnt take long Dude but now this thread comes into play.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2012, 12:29:07 PM »
FSG are apparently looking for a young manager, with title winning experience that can lead Liverpool long term.

That probably rules Roberto Martinez out. Imho I dont think hes shown enough in his managerial career to come close to getting the Liverpool managers position.

Personally I think there will be 3 or 4 candidates that FSG will consider seriously. Of the managers out there I suppose the obvious names that meet FSGs criteria would be as follows.

Jurgen Klopp is my personal preference but I dont see him leaving his Dortmund project.

Rafa Benitez will obviously be another FSG will consider but I just dont see them going back for him. And Guillem Balague confirmed Rafa has never been contacted or sounded out by the owners at any time. I just dont see it happening.

Mourinho said he would never manage Liverpool. Liverpool couldnt provide him with the transfer funds he would like either and I dont see him leaving Spain this summer.

Guardiola - Hes on a years sabbatical so rule him out.

Didier Deschamps and Frank Rikjaard come under the same category for me. They both have title winning experience but theres just something, a gut feeling that im not convinced about either.

AVB - This is a bit of an intriguing one. Hes favourite for the job and by all accounts FSG made contact in the last 2 weeks just to see if he would be receptive to a possible approach as he was apparently been lined up by Roma.  Hes won the Portuguese title with Porto. Not a major achievement but still a title none the less. Hes also won the Uefa Cup with Porto which shows he definitely has some European pedigree. The fact that he was a pupil of Bobby Robson and Jose Mourinho also cant be sniffed at.

He failed at Chelsea in the 6 months he got there but bigger more experienced managers like big Phil Scolari have been made to look like mugs by Abramovich without been given adequate time. So I would probably look on his time at Chelsea with caution but also a sense of realism to the conditions he found there.

Its going to be an interesting search and im sure none of us will agree on any one candidate. So as I say Jurgen Klopp is my first choice but there is also definitely a case for others too.   

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2012, 01:21:27 PM »
If I had to chose between the two worst possible candidates I'd go for Rafa. I really really think AVB's too young for it. He's what, 2 years older than Gerrard and equal in age to Carra?
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2012, 01:40:59 PM »
If I had to chose between the two worst possible candidates I'd go for Rafa. I really really think AVB's too young for it. He's what, 2 years older than Gerrard and equal in age to Carra?

I dont mean to offend Martin but you already seem to be coming across negative about the candidates.

Will you be p*ssed if Brendan Rodgers doesnt get the job? AVB might be young but he also came in to the coaching game young and had some very impressive teachers along the way. Bobby Robson appointed him at a very young age.

Should age be a major issue if he has the makings of a very good manager? He did very well at both clubs in Portugal, has proved he can win things. Chelsea was a different story but its very hard to judge any of their previous managers given circumstances at the club. He also inherited an ageing club where player power was key contributor in getting managers sacked.

Phil Thompson wants Didier Deschamps and reckons we shouldnt go back for Rafa.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2012, 01:53:26 PM »
Klopp has to be the obvious choice but it's doubtful he'd leave Dortmund yet, unless the challenge of returning one of football's genuine giants to the loft heights once enjoyed is simply too much to turn down.

I can't read anything into AVB's time at Chelsea due to the @ssholes that populate that dressing room and the no-sighted fool that owns them.

The interesting thing with Dortmund is the complete lack of 'names' in their team. It's exactly the approach I was hoping FSG would bring from the off.

We need to lose this 'moneyball' tag. Good players will look exactly what they are. Buying players using stats is foolish. Stats don't show context. Assists say more about other members of the team than they do about the individual for whom the stats apply.

Ability, potential for improvement, sound technique, football itelligence and understanding, appreciation of space and how to create and utilise it, awareness of team mates and opponents movement around them, strong mentality and the willingness to take on responsibility and show iniative are all better 'indicators' than mere stats and figures.

There are so many massive appointsment now required that the recruitment of players appears a distant second,

At this point in time, all I would ask of the coming season is to challenge for the top four until the final whistle of game 38. Anything above that would be an unexpected bonus.

Deschamp doesn't impress. His record is patchy and inconsistent.
Emery seems to have done OK at Valencia, especially with consistently losing his best players.
Bielsa is a favourite with a lot of people, but for all the nice football they don't achieve enough tangible results from it to say it is productive. Plenty of image but lacking in real substance.