February 27, 2020, 11:53:12 PM

Author Topic: LFC part company with Dalglish  (Read 5982 times)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
LFC part company with Dalglish
« on: May 16, 2012, 06:10:28 PM »
From the offal:

FENWAY SPORTS GROUP AND LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB PART COMPANY WITH MANAGER KENNY DALGLISH

Search for new Manager begins immediately as owners pay tribute to 'legend' Dalglish

Fenway Sports Group (FSG) and Liverpool Football Club announced that Kenny Dalglish is to leave his post today as Manager after having his contract terminated.

After a careful and deliberative review of the season, the Club came to the decision that a change was appropriate. It is not a decision that was reached lightly or hastily.

The search for a new Manager will begin immediately.

Principal owner John Henry was fulsome in his praise for the outgoing Manager.

"Kenny will always be more than a championship winning manager, more than a championship winning star player. He is in many ways the heart and soul of the club. He personifies everything that is good about Liverpool Football Club. He has always put the Club and its supporters first. Kenny will always be a part of the family at Anfield.

"Our job now is to identify and recruit the right person to take this Club forward and build on the strong foundations put in place during the last 18 months."

Liverpool Chairman Tom Werner said it was a tough decision, but ultimately one that needed to be made.

"Kenny came into the Club as Manager at our request at a time when Liverpool Football Club really needed him. He didn't ask to be Manager; he was asked to assume the role. He did so because he knew the Club needed him. He did more than anyone else to stabilize Liverpool over the past year-and-a-half and to get us once again looking forward. We owe him a great debt of gratitude.

"However, results in the Premier League have been disappointing and we believe to build on the progress that has already been made, we need to make a change.

"We are committed to delivering success for our supporters and our ambition remains resolute to return this great Club to the elite of England and Europe, where it belongs."

Kenny Dalglish's departure brings to an end his second spell at the Club where, as a player, he won numerous honours, including six English league titles and three European Cup trophies. As Manager he won three league titles, two FA Cups and of course this season, the Carling Cup.

Dalglish said he is proud to have served such a great Club.

"It has been an honour and a privilege to have had the chance to come back to Liverpool Football Club as Manager. I greatly appreciate the work that Steve, Kevin, the players and all of the staff put in during my time and feel proud that we delivered the Club's first trophy in six years winning the Carling Cup and came close to a second trophy in the FA Cup Final. Of course I am disappointed with results in the league, but I would not have swapped the Carling Cup win for anything as I know how much it meant to our fans and the Club to be back winning trophies.

"Whilst I am obviously disappointed to be leaving the football club, I can say that the matter has been handled by the owners and all concerned in an honourable, respectful and dignified way and reflects on the quality of the people involved and their continued desire to move the football club forward in the same way as when they arrived here.

"I would like to thank all of the staff at the Club for their effort and loyalty. I said when first approached about coming back as Manager that I would always be of help if I can at any time and that offer remains the same.

"Finally, I want to put on record my heartfelt gratitude to Liverpool's fans, who have always given me and the Club their unwavering support. Without them neither the Club nor I would have achieved anything."

Author: Liverpool FC
Tagged:dalglish , fenway sports group , fsg , henry , john henry , kenny dalglish , tom werner , werner
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: LFC part company with Dalglish
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 06:40:14 PM »
A tad sad to see it come to this but at the same time I'm glad Henry and Werner are capable of making the right decisions when needed. It was obvious during mid-winter that Kenny wasn't in tune with the modern game and not once this season did he come up with an answer to any on-pitch asked questions. From that point of view it was hard to see how he would turn it around in the coming season and increasingly so when he came out and hinted bad luck was the only reason we didn't reach 4th.

At the same time he's one of the greatest servants of all times to this great club. For that I am grateful and as the memories of the past season vanish the lingering feelings and emotions he aroused in the 80's will remain.

Thanks Kenny and good luck!
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 10:53:03 PM »
Thanks Kenny and good luck!

Nice sentiment. Credit to him for risking his status. I imagine we'll see him back at the club in the future in some more minor role, if asked.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 11:45:48 PM »
as a beach-bum, and one-time ten-pin bowler, and deep latrine inspector, and carpet retrieval technician, I am prepared to put my status on the line, and be manager at Liverpool.

BTW    is it three million per year before, or after, tax?   8)
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 05:31:56 AM »
as a beach-bum, and one-time ten-pin bowler, and deep latrine inspector, and carpet retrieval technician, I am prepared to put my status on the line, and be manager at Liverpool.

BTW    is it three million per year before, or after, tax?   8)

Hmmm...do i detect a hint of cynicsm here?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 07:22:01 AM »
Hmmm...do i detect a hint of cynicsm here?

I have always been rather cynical about the whole affair, Barticus.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 11:31:16 AM »
I have always been rather cynical about the whole affair, Barticus.

Whoever gets the job whether it is Rafa, Hodgson, AVB, Martinez, Klopp or whoever we have to back them as fans.

Roy did get an initial backing but admittedly like most others I changed my opinion on him 3 or 4 months into his reign and I wanted to see him replaced.

We have to give the next manager plenty of time to make his mark. Most people on here would probably agree Kenny had enough time. One part of me wanted him to be given another year but there was also the other part of me who felt his time was possibly up.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 02:10:20 PM »
We have to give the next manager plenty of time to make his mark. Most people on here would probably agree Kenny had enough time.

true Juan.  But when you see basic aspects crop up early, and never be rectified......or barmy or non-existent tactics.....or bizarre exclusions from the team....or barmy sales and purchases, one has to speak up. 

and with Kenny sacked, I;d also do away with the barmy director of football role.

I am rather concerned at the wholesale changes that the yanks are doing.  Total change (dismissing all senior staff) is what causes clubs to soon be involved in relegation battles.  Consistency is what Liverpool used to be all about....steady as she goes, etc.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 03:35:39 PM »
true Juan.  But when you see basic aspects crop up early, and never be rectified......or barmy or non-existent tactics.....or bizarre exclusions from the team....or barmy sales and purchases, one has to speak up. 

and with Kenny sacked, I;d also do away with the barmy director of football role.

I am rather concerned at the wholesale changes that the yanks are doing.  Total change (dismissing all senior staff) is what causes clubs to soon be involved in relegation battles.  Consistency is what Liverpool used to be all about....steady as she goes, etc.

All very true Dude but we cant call for the club to sack Kenny and at the same time call for consistency. Managers position aside Im glad the owners took time before making changes behind the scenes at the club.  In some respects Id say it feels like they are just starting out with what they had initially planned. They have got the Dalglish argument out of their system so calls to appoint Kenny from the fans cant really be used to hamper a new manager going forward. Maybe the owners need more credit than we are giving them for. While they are getting settled and coming to terms with football and whats expected they bring in a club legend to steady the ship. Maybe its now the real decisions regarding our future can be made.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 05:36:01 PM »
All very true Dude but we cant call for the club to sack Kenny and at the same time call for consistency. Managers position aside Im glad the owners took time before making changes behind the scenes at the club.  In some respects Id say it feels like they are just starting out with what they had initially planned. They have got the Dalglish argument out of their system so calls to appoint Kenny from the fans cant really be used to hamper a new manager going forward. Maybe the owners need more credit than we are giving them for. While they are getting settled and coming to terms with football and whats expected they bring in a club legend to steady the ship. Maybe its now the real decisions regarding our future can be made.

sacking Kenny is one thing (he should never have been appointed).  But sacking a whole pile of others is rather alarming.  Rather than sack Ian Cotton, for example, who had been with the club for 16 years,  they should have been examining why Dalglish's power and influence was so dominant over the entire club.  That was a very unhealthy state of affairs - as the Suarez debacle illustrated. 

It all goes back to their failure to find a top chief executive at the outset.   Every key problem has resulted from that initial failure.

And I am still unclear who is guiding them (if anyone). 

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 06:33:24 PM »
Wigan have given us permission to speak to Martinez.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 07:15:39 PM »

yes, the Wigan owner (Whelan) has admitted to the Times, this morning, that he gave Liverpool permission to speak to Martinez.

We are now in the hands of the Gods.  The bloke is a mere 38 years old; has won feck all (apart from league one title), and has never remotely threatened to win anything of substance in his short career.   Though he has successfully warded off relegation three seasons in a row, with Wigan.

bloddy ell, we are about to appoint the lad who has managed swansea and wigan. 

even brendan rodgers would likely be better than this.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 09:16:03 PM »
It's one thing working wonders at Swansea and Wigan, it's completely different what we are going to require of him.

Maybe with better players his methods will translate and work better.

If he's appointed, I hope he does the sensible thing and get's in an assistant with much greater experience to help him through the initial culture shock.

Juan, if they appoint a manager who looks like he has a fighting chance from the off, then I think he will be given time. Hodgson was just a ridiculous appointment.

Martinez may flourish just like Shankley did. If the web had been around in 1959 it would have gone into meltdown with us appointing such a 'no mark'.  I can't say I'm entirely comfortable with the idea of Martinez because unlike Swansea and Norwich this season, he's never had Wigan as a relatively comfortable mid-table team. They're a bit like Houdini with their late escapes. Nothing ever seems to be taken forward into the next season and built upon when they've put together a good end of season run the previous season. It's a perennial firefighting exercise.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 11:28:42 PM »
It's one thing working wonders at Swansea and Wigan, it's completely different what we are going to require of him.

yes, the young Martinez's brief career in management is nothing to write home about (apart from one promotion season with Swansea in division one).

Indeed, his 3 years at Wigan have seen him winning less than 27 percent of his games.  Pretty woeful.

I think our owners are nutballs.    They made a helluva error appointing Dalglish and creating a Director of Football role (with Comolli in it).  But this Martinez business is potentially even worse.  They are taking monstrous risks.  So utterly needless to take this level of risk.  Madness.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 11:31:17 PM by the dude abides »

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 12:02:45 AM »
Guys I think you do the owners a disservice.

Transforming this clubs fortunes was never going to happen overnight. Henrys not a shoot from the hip kind of guy and we are underestimating the guys level of intelligence if we question every decision hes going to make.

Kenny saved the club from a potential relegation fight after Roy. For that he deserved the season he was given. The fact that the season wasnt a success has meant Henry has been able to remove Dalglishes shadow looming over any future manager. The fans have got him out of their system so to speak.

The fact that Henry is consulting with David Dein is reason enough to feel we are in safe hands. Roberto Martinez being approached is neither here nor there because its also been confirmed the club will speak to a number of other candidates too. The only reason we are hearing about Roberto Martinez as opposed to anyone else is because Dave Whelan has decided to tell the world.

The guardian is reporting that Guardiola and Capello top FSGs list so for all we know they may be interviewed too. I'm glad the owners are going through a process to see who actually shares their vision for the club.

I genuinely think FSG's process is only at its infancy and it will take another one possibly two seasons to tell what they are all about.

Nobody on here wanted instant success through a sugardaddy approach. The alternative will take more than the 18 months the new owners have been here. They saved us from administration and I think we owe them some trust, support and a little bit of patience.