February 27, 2020, 11:27:31 PM

Author Topic: 2012/13 fixture list.  (Read 7309 times)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
2012/13 fixture list.
« on: June 18, 2012, 12:51:36 PM »
A tough opening awaits Anfield legend in spe Brendan Rodgers with the opening 3 homegames to ManC, Arsenal and ManU. I don't care as much about the points as I do with watching a new attitude and approach emerge. If we can get some 16-20 points from the opening 10 games I will be more than pleased. Roll on the new season!!!

18 Aug 2012    West Brom  A           
25 Aug 2012    Manchester City  H         
1 Sep 2012    Arsenal  H             
15 Sep 2012    Sunderland  A             
22 Sep 2012    Man United  H         
29 Sep 2012    Norwich  A             
6 Oct 2012    Stoke City  H           
20 Oct 2012    Reading  H             
27 Oct 2012    Everton  A             
3 Nov 2012    Newcastle  H           
10 Nov 2012    Chelsea  A       
17 Nov 2012    Wigan  H             
24 Nov 2012    Swansea  A           
27 Nov 2012    Tottenham  A           
1 Dec 2012    S'hampton  H           
8 Dec 2012    West Ham  A             
15 Dec 2012    Aston Villa  H         
22 Dec 2012    Fulham  H             
26 Dec 2012    Stoke City  A           
29 Dec 2012    QPR  A         
1 Jan 2013    Sunderland  H           
12 Jan 2013    Man United  A             
19 Jan 2013    Norwich  H             
29 Jan 2013    Arsenal  A           
2 Feb 2013    Manchester City  A             
9 Feb 2013    West Brom  H           
23 Feb 2013    Swansea  H         
2 Mar 2013    Wigan  A   
9 Mar 2013    Tottenham  H           
16 Mar 2013    S'hampton  A         
30 Mar 2013    Aston Villa  A
6 Apr 2013    West Ham  H           
13 Apr 2013    Reading  A       
20 Apr 2013    Chelsea  H           
27 Apr 2013    Newcastle  A     
4 May 2013    Everton  H           
12 May 2013    Fulham  A             
19 May 2013    QPR  H     
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 2012/13 fixture list.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 12:58:48 PM »
That's a very tough group of matches especially for a new manager. I hope people aren't too critical if we don't win them all by at least 6 goals!  ;D

A home game would have been nice but at least we end at home. Manure start and finish away from home.  ;D
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 01:36:41 PM »
That's a very tough group of matches especially for a new manager. I hope people aren't too critical if we don't win them all by at least 6 goals!  ;D

A home game would have been nice but at least we end at home. Manure start and finish away from home.  ;D

We started at home for the last two seasons after being away for the previous six. I guess we were therefore due to revert to the norm of being away.
What a surprise the Mancs start and finished at home.

At least we've avoided a newly promoted team in the first couple of months, when the novelty's still fresh and the usual struggle hasn't yet set in.

It's good to get so many 'big' teams early on as it's in our own hands whether we keep up or drop behind early on. We always raise our game so to get a chance early on against them is great and victories will seem us form early season confidence which hopefully we can build on. 
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 02:20:58 PM »

I hope to feck that this is a joke...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 05:11:36 PM »

I hope to feck that this is a joke...

It's definately a joke. Let's hope it won't be on us.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 05:59:48 PM »
What a surprise the Mancs start and finished at home.
They don't. Perhaps you misread what I wrote.

At least we've avoided a newly promoted team in the first couple of months, when the novelty's still fresh and the usual struggle hasn't yet set in.
WBA is our first and guess who manages them! Steve's first competitive match as manager.

It's good to get so many 'big' teams early on as it's in our own hands whether we keep up or drop behind early on. We always raise our game so to get a chance early on against them is great and victories will seem us form early season confidence which hopefully we can build on. 
I wish I had your confidence. A new manager with some new players will make it difficult. But we do have a couple of UEFA League games so that may help bed the lads in to a new style.
Cheers,
Ray

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 07:17:06 PM »
I found this highly amusing from the Guardian's site. I seem to remember it happened a few years ago too.

Manchester United will be unhappy at 2012-13 Premier League fixtures

• United play away after five of their Champions League games
• Manchester City have only one trip after European action

Ah, diddums!  :P
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 10:51:38 PM »
They don't.

Sarcasm doesn't always work in print. My bad.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 10:54:04 PM »
I wish I had your confidence. A new manager with some new players will make it difficult.

Ray, it just seems irrespective of manager we raise our games against the top teams and struggle against the cannon fodder. Or maybe I'm being pointlessly hopeful.  ;D

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 10:59:56 PM »
Ray, it just seems irrespective of manager we raise our games against the top teams and struggle against the cannon fodder. Or maybe I'm being pointlessly hopeful.  ;D
We certainly did in the last few seasons Tes but with a new way of learning to play under Brendan I fear it will be a little while before the system comes naturally to the lads. But maybe I am being too pessamistic because Carroll will be up for it and Gerrard has shown he is still capable of delivering. We just need a couple of good signings to give us that extra edge.

If things start to go pear-shaped now long before Brendan becomes Brenda? Not any time soon I hope!

On your sarcasm point it was me not picking up on it.  :-[
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 11:05:23 PM »
If things start to go pear-shaped now long before Brendan becomes Brenda? Not any time soon I hope!

That would be the ultimate in disrespect.

We have to have patience. We can't keep starting again. As you say Ray there's every chance a new system will take time to perfect. At least the style of football will be worth waiting for.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 11:14:13 PM »
I wasn't really serious about that name Tes but I can imagine some of the cerebrally challenged supporters might.

I hope the new style isn't too similar to Spain's because I find that quite boring believe it or not. Spain tonight were not easy on the eye despite all their possession. I'll happily give him plenty of time to change things and hopefully we can pick up points in those difficult fixtures and stay in touch at the top.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 07:50:14 PM »
I wasn't really serious about that name Tes but I can imagine some of the cerebrally challenged supporters might.

I hope the new style isn't too similar to Spain's because I find that quite boring believe it or not. Spain tonight were not easy on the eye despite all their possession. I'll happily give him plenty of time to change things and hopefully we can pick up points in those difficult fixtures and stay in touch at the top.

Ray, we both know if we make a slow start assigning a new gender to Rodgers will some of the more tasteful insults.

Passing for the sake of it is almost as counterproductive as hoof and hope. The Croats were superbly organised but when they attacked it was swift and incisive.
Billic's new club career will be worth keeping an eye on.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 11:07:25 PM »
Tes, I agree that overpassing is boring and counter-productive. Footie is a simple game. When Gerrard hit that 50 yard pass to Carroll which was inch perfect and he headed it in - again a perfect connection - that kind of direct football is just as skillful as 30 passes followed by a tap in. The latter will get all the plaudits but the former is, to me, the more skillful play.

Agreed if Bilic comes to England he will produce a very good team. Spurs perhaps.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 11:47:49 PM »
Passing for the sake of it is almost as counterproductive as hoof and hope.
Bang on Tes!

Barca and the Spanish national team have pioneered this possession based passing style, taking it to
another level. with gifted, technical, attacking talent. As we saw at Swansea, Rodgers adapted (copied)
a version of this system to give them a fighting chance in the Premiership (and at times it really was, just
don't give them the ball and they can't score b*llshit). He could just have easily gone with the Stoke template
-  physical, long ball. He won plaudits because, people find it easier on the eye and it's relatively new over
here and in fashion (especially if you have to write the same old article about promoted teams every season)

Anyway, makes no odds 'cos managing a top team is more about consistently getting results and working
under pressure in the face of relenting competition from our rivals and the slings and arrows of outrageous
fortune and the media agenda of the day. Winning mentality, decisiveness, man management, survival instincts
and tactical know how are the order of the day, imo (teams with nothing to lose will still park the bus).

Imo, it's the coach (not bus!) who breaks the Barcelona system (as opposed to importing it wholesale) that will
dominate Europe for the next few years.