September 19, 2019, 09:57:32 PM

Author Topic: euros 2012  (Read 5909 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
euros 2012
« on: June 22, 2012, 04:08:37 PM »
unable to watch on my usual satellite package here (ironically called, Sky).  Sky is the biggest and has just about every live game in europe and south america, all season.  But oh no, to my horror, I find that some wee twerp provider has got the rights for euro 2012......and I am not paying any more dosh for football. 

been working too much anyways, to sit down and weatch full games.

but I did find a great website, that lets me watch live.......takes the feeds from the bbc, sky, and every major channel across europe.  Excellent.  i get to watch (on my laptop) what you folks see, martin keown, itv, chiles, keane, lineker, shearer, hansen, etc

anyroads, football is pretty mundane.  Exciting though because everyone is so whacked out, which evens things up a bit.  Players (to my eyes) look totally jaded.....at the end of a long hard season....11 months without a break.   It is especially noticable in second half of games.

england have often looked dire.  But with zero expectations for the first time ever, they cannot lose.  Hodgson, like captain mannering, is playing a rear-guard action.  Like Italy of old, our homeguard is keen to keep it tight, defence at all costs.  Mind you, they often do get cut open, like a tin of sardines.  But keeping it tight, and hitting on the break, is what has been happening.  All well and good, but when they meet a decent side, and/or one that scores first.....things will be very difficult. 

but the longer they hang in there, the better the team understanding and spirit is.....so who knows.  I;d love to see a top player like ashley cole get a winner's medal.  In international tournaments, I have always seen him run his guts out.  A world class player, in my books. Always has been.

sad to see tho the lack of top players coming through.  This has been the weakest england team I have seen......and once the older ones retire,  I see nobody to replace them.    This is the result of 20 plus years of Sky money.....which has brought in the world's top  players to the premiership, but at the cost of english/british talent.  We are now seeing the results.....a lost generation of talent.

ireland - a tournament too far for this era of players......given, dunne, duff, robbie keane, etc.  Just too old.  Unfair to ask them to compete against the likes of the Spanish and Italians. 

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: euros 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 10:09:17 PM »
I say, wouldn't it be absolutely marvellous in the year of her majesty's Diamond Jubilee,
if Roys Boys were to be eliminated in the quarter finals against Italy tomorrow  :P

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 08:42:46 AM »
I say, wouldn't it be absolutely marvellous in the year of her majesty's Diamond Jubilee,
if Roys Boys were to be eliminated in the quarter finals against Italy tomorrow  :P

We'd get our players back earlier for pre-season training. With a new manager and a new way of playing to be learnt, it's more important than ever. Especially as some other players are at the Olympics also.

I think considering all the disruption and a whole new way of playing to be taken on board in a fragmented pre-season, I've almost written this season off. A challenge for fourth could be seen as over-achievement.

Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 01:48:57 PM »
I think considering all the disruption and a whole new way of playing to be taken on board in a fragmented pre-season, I've almost written this season off. A challenge for fourth could be seen as over-achievement.
Dunno, we'll have to see what the gaffer does over the next couple of months. I thought
possession wise/ passing we didn't have much of a problem last season, it was more
pressing, finishing and game intelligence where we were poor. Hopefully, he can sort the
midfield out and turn it into a brutal and efficient powerhouse.

I had this idea Stevie G was going to retire from international football this Summer. Not looking
likely at the mo  :'(

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 01:53:31 PM »
I had this idea Stevie G was going to retire from international football this Summer. Not looking
likely at the mo  :'(

For some reason he doesn't seem to want to or maybe think he needs to. If it proves to be the case then we need to look harder and faster for his replacement, as it will be us that suffer from his continued involvement in pointless and ill-timed international matches.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 11:15:00 PM »
I;d love to see a top player like ashley cole get a winner's medal.  In international tournaments, I have always seen him run his guts out.  A world class player, in my books. Always has been.

No, never, not in a lifetime, under no circumstances would I do that and I have to say I was a bit surprised you harbored these feelings for the greatest, most selfish and arrogant cheater in the the PL if not the footballing world.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 05:02:01 AM »
reckon you used enough dynamite there, Butch?
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 08:38:14 AM »
Oh dear. Hodgson forgot that to play catenaccio or even zona mista you have to have a lead to defend. Did he really try and outplay the Italians at what is historically their own game. Maybe everyone will see why the nasty scousers wanted rid of him as LFC's manager.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 11:25:57 AM »
Oh dear. Hodgson forgot that to play catenaccio or even zona mista you have to have a lead to defend. Did he really try and outplay the Italians at what is historically their own game. Maybe everyone will see why the nasty scousers wanted rid of him as LFC's manager.
Geez, and they're stuck with him now for Brazil 2014.

I thought it was hilarious that he felt obliged to mention that he'd worked
with Pirlo in the past, in the post match interview. Must be in there somewhere
on that glittering dog-eared old CV of his that he never shuts up about
(to which he can now add - quarter finals of the Euros, unlucky on penalties).

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 01:21:24 PM »
(to which he can now add - quarter finals of the Euros, unlucky on penalties).

But also very very lucky to make it to the peno's. It would've been the biggest robbery of all times if England would've went through after having been outplayed for most of the game. I think the attempts/shots on goal stats were something like 35/20 vs. 9/4. Also, Hart never gave himself a chance focusing on his childish and futile attempts at mind games instead of actually trying to make a serious effort at stopping their penos. Was LMAO when Pirlo netted his penalty.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 01:38:11 PM »
gerrard was woeful as usual in the middle of the park, when up against anyone decent.   The Italians bossed the middle.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 02:04:50 PM »
gerrard was woeful as usual in the middle of the park, when up against anyone decent.   The Italians bossed the middle.

True, but in fairness I also thought Parker had a dire game. Amazing you couldn't capitalise more on Carroll's supremacy on long balls. IMHO, he was your best player together with *cough* Terry. Slow yes, but what a fantastic reader of the game he is.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 02:28:27 PM »
agreed, parker is nowhere good enough for this level (but that was always obvious).

john terry is excellent.

andy carroll?  a poor man's malcolm macdonald.    andy is nowhere close to the ability that crouch possessed. 

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 03:57:12 PM »
But also very very lucky to make it to the peno's.
Yeah, funny but his Journo pals never mention such things when they talk about Roy's legendary CV.

Also, Hart never gave himself a chance focusing on his childish and futile attempts at mind games instead of actually trying to make a serious effort at stopping their penos.
Yeah, too much pumped up youthful exuberance compared with a wily old pro like Buffon...

Was LMAO when Pirlo netted his penalty.
Shame, Gazza was the last Englishman that i remember who went out to express himself to the
fullest on a football pitch. I think Pirlo was sticking the finger up to the seriousness with which the
whole nation takes itself when it comes to football. Poor Alan Shearer had his mantra for penos
at the ready, I think it was something like, pick your spot 2 weeks in advance and never ever EVER
change your mind. Spontaneity, creativity anyone?

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 05:05:33 PM »
It's true, there's a lot of cynical Scousers out there sneering at the great
Roy Hodgson (ahem, Tomkins, Boardman et al), ignoring his self-evident genius,
in pursuit of their own petty agendas. I'm glad, 'cos it happens so rarely,
that this brave and thoughtful young man has chosen to speak with such
honesty and set the facts straight:

http://tomkinstimes.com/2012/06/the-great-roy-hodgson-and-the-lazy-arabs/