September 19, 2019, 01:52:51 PM

Author Topic: policing twitter  (Read 1166 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
policing twitter
« on: July 31, 2012, 03:33:48 PM »

I am bemused by the policing of twitter.

OK, I guess Rio had it coming, with his choc-ice thingie.  If he wants to play the race card (supporting his brother against john terry), then he too has to be held to account (when he messes up). 

Now I see that twitter has suspended the account of Independent journalist, Guy Adams.    His *crime* was to criticise the woeful American coverage (NBC coverage) of the opening cermony of the olympics.   Rather than show it live, they delayed coverage by 5 or 6 hours, to apparently be able to sell advertising at prime time (in the evening).
http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/guy-adams-i-thought-the-internet-age-had-ended-this-kind-of-censorship-7988208.html
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/nbcfail-online-backlash-as-twitter-locks-out-independent-reporter-7987906.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/jul/30/twitter-suspends-guy-adams-account-nbc

Now, it turns out that twitter and NBC seemingly have a business relationship for these olympics.  So, now it all starts to add up.

And this morning, I see another nonsense surrounding twitter.

The British swimmer, never out of the media, Tom Daley, yesterday missed out on a medal. 

Shortly afterwards, on twitter's website, Daley retweeted a message from user Rileyy69 which said: "You let your dad down i hope you know that."

Daley's father Rob died last year from brain cancer.

Daley responded by tweeting: "After giving it my all...you get idiot's sending me this..."

The twitter guy (Rileyy69) went on to apologise, saying:  "I'm sorry mate i just wanted you to win cause its the olympics I'm just annoyed we didn't win I'm sorry tom accept my apology."      He later added: "please i don't want to be hated I'm just sorry you didn't win i was rooting for you pal to do britain all proud just so upset."

Dorset police have ARRESTED the twitter poster this morning.   

full story:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/9440261/Teenager-arrested-over-abusive-tweets-to-Tom-Daley.html

Now I am no fan of twitter (or facebook).   And I think those that use twitter need their head looked at (and to find a life).

BUT.....what the heck is this world coming to.  Free speech, my ar..se

Have the cops (and the courts) nothing better to do with their time? 

What next, thought police?   A ban on free-thinking. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 03:36:17 PM by the dude abides »
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: policing twitter
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 05:31:34 PM »
Its incredible alright Dude.

Talking about a waste of police time. I can understand if someone racially abuses someone else on twitter, if they incite violence or promote terrorist activity that they deservedly will receive a visit from the local constabulary but if that story about Daley is true its incredible really.

What next will we have an internet police unit combing forums like this for unsavory posts? Such a waste of tax payers money when police time could be used chasing real life criminals.

As for the NBC story farcical. When I initially heard that it made me want to close my twitter account.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 05:45:41 PM »
Any time I hear anything Twitter related it always backs up my decision not to bother with it.

Why do the police even know about it, nevermind go out a arrest someone for being a loud mouth.

Stunning what counts as a priority and what is regarded as wrong to spend tax payers' money on in this country.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 06:04:55 PM »
Stunning what counts as a priority
Its incredible alright Dude.

Talking about a waste of police time......What next will we have an internet police unit combing forums like this for unsavory posts? Such a waste of tax payers money when police time could be used chasing real life criminals.

As for the NBC story farcical. When I initially heard that it made me want to close my twitter account.

yes, a total lack of police time.

I suppose what we can learn from this carry-on......is that, if late one night, you should find robbers breaking into your house,  rather than dialling 999, you should instead get on twitter and make a few quick posts. 

Rather than refer to the "bad people", or "burglars" trying to enter your house, instead use words like "black", "choc-ice" and "homosexual"..................the cops will be round your house in double-quick time......and the bad guy will be in front of the courts within the week.

but seriously, when cops talk about lack of resources, I shake my head in bemusement.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.