September 21, 2019, 08:58:03 PM

Author Topic: Haven't we been her before?  (Read 1975 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Haven't we been her before?
« on: June 02, 2013, 11:49:27 PM »
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers could face a striker crisis if Daniel Sturridge is out injured for four months

By Chris Bascombe  02 Jun 2013

Liverpool are already facing a striker crisis at the start of next season as Daniel Sturridge is unlikely to recover from injury in time for the August kick-off.

Sturridge suffered serious ankle ligament damage in the international friendly with the Republic of Ireland last week, and the diagnosis is not promising.

The 23-year-old has undergone further tests since returning to Merseyside, and Liverpool now expect him to sit out pre-season training and be unavailable for the start of the Premier League campaign.

The worst case scenario is a four-month absence, keeping Sturridge out until late September or early October.

With Luis Suárez likely to have departed English football by the end of the transfer window, it leaves manager Brendan Rodgers with much to ponder over the next three months.

Even if the Uruguayan stays – which few at Anfield believe will happen – he still has six games of his 10-match suspension to serve.

Sturridge had eased the goalscoring burden on Suárez expertly since joining Liverpool from Chelsea for £12 million in January and with Rodgers desperate for a fast start to next season, his absence will be a major setback.

The Liverpool manager must feel his luck is out. He began his first season at Anfield bereft of strike power, but at least on this occasion he has time to bring in reinforcements. The consolation of Suárez’s exit would be a huge transfer kitty as Rodgers would be allowed to reinvest all the funds he generated through sales.

Celta Vigo forward Iago Aspas is heading to Merseyside this week for a medical to complete what is expected to be a €9 million (£7.7 million) move from La Liga.

Liverpool also have Fabio Borini, who returned from injury at the start of last season, and of course Andy Carroll remains at Anfield for the time being.

The England striker, who is also injured, may see the issues surrounding Suárez and Sturridge as a fresh opportunity, although Liverpool would still rather he left for West Ham for the agreed fee of £15 million.

While Rodgers works out how to resolve issues at one end of the park, he also has a contingency plan in goal should Pepe Reina be lured to Barcelona.

Victor Valdés announced he was planning to stay for one more year at the Nou Camp, but Liverpool are taking nothing for granted as the transfer window generates its usual daily twists and turns as players position themselves to leave their clubs on good terms.

Reina would be allowed to leave amicably for £10 million. if he did, Liverpool would bid for Sunderland’s Simon Mignolet.

Rodgers has a list of potential goalkeeping recruits, but the Belgian is the outstanding candidate, particularly given his youthfulness.

Mignolet, part of a brilliant Belgian international team, is 24 and Liverpool hope a bid of around £6 million would secure an Anfield deal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/10094445/Liverpool-manager-Brendan-Rodgers-could-face-a-striker-crisis-if-Daniel-Sturridge-is-out-injured-for-four-months.html

Whilst I would prefer us to be self sufficient, it's exactly this sort of situation where you want owners to have both the financial strength and readiness to help the manager out.

If Suarez goes then we need to replace him in the same way irrespective of Sturridge's injury, but then have the means to buy a player in Sturridge's class to replace him for how ever long it takes him to both recover, do his pre-season and then get up to match fitness and sharpness. Given all that, we're unlikely to see a fully ready Sturridge until the end of the year so we need his replacement for half a season at least.
Then as Sturridge returns it would mean we have one striker too many but it's up to Sturridge, Sturridge's replacement and Borini to fight it out to avoid being the odd man out come the end of the season and avoid being moved on. FSG need to understand this, understand the importance and step up to the financial plate.

As for Mignolet, I think he has the ability to go on and become for us what Pepe has been for us, but I can't see us getting him for a lot, if any less than what we get for Pepe, if he does decide to move.
Ideally, with the defence going through a major upheaval, if possible, it would be prudent to try our best to keep Pepe for one more season at least. That would give us time to look for the next Pepe, Mignolet or Begovic etc and bring them in for the sort of fee Stoke and Sunderland paid for their players. That's the only way we could replace Pepe and have anything spare from the fee we receive for him.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Haven't we been her before?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 11:55:54 PM »
it was only a few days ago that Brent was telling us that he was proud to see Liverpool players get international call ups.

so here we are - sturridge now out for maybe as much as 4 months, because of an injury on england duty.

smart people, like wenger and ferguson, hate to release players for international duty.

i wish our lad would learn - it's not all about show and the spotlight....it;s about the club having the resources to win things (not bathe in the spotlight)
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 12:11:28 AM »
it was only a few days ago that Brent was telling us that he was proud to see Liverpool players get international call ups.

so here we are - sturridge now out for maybe as much as 4 months, because of an injury on england duty.

smart people, like wenger and ferguson, hate to release players for international duty.

i wish our lad would learn - it's not all about show and the spotlight....it;s about the club having the resources to win things (not bathe in the spotlight)

These end of season friendlies should be avoided at all costs. Players are tired and much more prone to picking up injuries. Same with the Confederations Cup. What a moronic idea. Last Summer was the Euros, next Summer the World Cup, players need a chance to rest from two almost non-stop seasons before entering what will be an extended one again this coming season.

Wenger and Taggart were always spot on. They understood the additional strain placed on players. They can't play nearly all year round with just a month's rest. They have to recuperate both physically and mentally, even more so now as their bodies are fine tuned like never before.

What are any of our players going to learn from a manager like Hodgeson anyway? He is the antithesis of Rodgers, so I don't see why Brendan would be so positive about international recognition, and at this stage of a season. I understand the benefit of playing against the World's best and the best Europe has to offer, but pointless financial exercises at the end of the season? Hopefully he wises up after this injury.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 12:18:29 AM »
for rodgers it is all about spotlight; and publicity.

I think he will have trouble changing his spots.

if he were any good, tactically, he would explore that avenue and get plaudits on that score.

but he is no good tactically, so he takes publicity anywhere he can find it.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 03:41:30 PM »

Dude are you seriously trying to blame Rodgers for Sturridge getting injured on international duty? Rooney played against Brazil. David Luiz, Lampard, Chamberlain, Cahill etc etc all played for their country. It was unfortunate that Sturridge got injured but that couldve been anyone in the England squad or any other international squad that our players play for. What could have been done differently to prevent it. If a players available for selection, fit and called up a club is obliged to release them. After that I wouldnt see why a manager wouldnt be proud of players in his team being called up for their country.

Rodgers is damned if he does and damned if he doesnt with you. To be honest I dont think your willing to accept any other manager in charge other than Rafa. I stuck by Rafa through thick and thin and wouldnt be against seeing him back someday but Im willing to give whoever else is there as manager a chance in the mean time.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 11:42:02 PM »
Dude are you seriously trying to blame Rodgers for Sturridge getting injured on international duty?

Rodgers is damned if he does and damned if he doesnt with you. To be honest I dont think your willing to accept any other manager in charge other than Rafa. I stuck by Rafa through thick and thin and wouldnt be against seeing him back someday but Im willing to give whoever else is there as manager a chance in the mean time.

Juan, my point is clearly understandable.  Rodgers (unlike other managers, the ones that compete for trophies), admits that he wants to see as many of our lads on international duty as possible.  He thinks it is something for the club to be proud of.

Liverpool FC are a top club, that need a top manager.  Rafa, Klopp, Ancelotti, etc.....that type of pedigree.

Not fecken the two that were interviewed,  i.e. the one term mid table swansea boss, or the wigan (now relegated) boss.