October 14, 2019, 05:39:18 PM

Author Topic: Season 2012-2013  (Read 265554 times)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2012-2013
« Reply #1950 on: February 21, 2013, 07:44:13 PM »
C'mon Marx don't you remember how you timidly
posed the idea of him being gaffer back in April was it?

It was quite a bit earlier than that to be honest. He's not my man, he's the manager of Liverpool Football Club and as such deserves proper respect of which there's little in this place.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: February 21, 2013, 07:53:02 PM »
he's the manager of Liverpool Football Club and as such deserves proper respect of which there's little in this place.
He'll earn some respect with a result tonight.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: February 21, 2013, 07:55:12 PM »
Brent's not my man

now now, Martin, don't backtrack and try and rewrite history.

Either, go down with the ship; or come over to the light. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: February 21, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
Gutted for Carra and the team.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: February 21, 2013, 08:51:05 PM »
Much better stuff from us after we go 1-0 down...

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: February 21, 2013, 08:55:50 PM »
Very strong coming back after going down in such unfortanate (tho some would probably say clumsy) fashion.

Henderson was incredibly poor for the first 25 but got better me Thinks. But why oh why did he take the shot???????

Downing needs to come off for Sterling and Gerrard need to do much much better from set pieces. A goal Before 70th minute will be much appreciated.

It's not over just yet!!!

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: February 21, 2013, 08:56:12 PM »
But we would agree that if he's to put in a performance like he did against City at home it is most likely to be at Anfield? Do we agree that much? And do we agree that his performance in that match played quite some role to the overall performance of the team?

I can't remember that far back, sorry. But his goal tonight vindicates his selection. Interesting 45 mins coming up.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: February 21, 2013, 09:23:15 PM »
Great goal from Suarez. Thank feck he's up for it.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: February 21, 2013, 10:09:32 PM »
Very strong coming back after going down in such unfortanate (tho some would probably say clumsy) fashion.

Henderson was incredibly poor for the first 25 but got better me Thinks. But why oh why did he take the shot???????

Downing needs to come off for Sterling and Gerrard need to do much much better from set pieces. A goal Before 70th minute will be much appreciated.

It's not over just yet!!!

Henderson was played out of position. As we've seen this season he can contribute when played in position. Why not stick Allen out there?

Downing should have been the first player substituted. Assaidi did more in his cameo than Downing did all night.

What's the problem with Shelvey? He looks totally disinterested.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: February 21, 2013, 10:15:55 PM »
Again a highly avoidable mistake cost us dearly. Although I feel gutted for Carra it's beyond me how you can make such a mistake.

We gave it a chance but the poor substitutions Brendan made had the opposite effect. Shelvey missed another sitter. He's simply not good enough. I also wonder why he brought on Assaidi who haven't played for God knows how long. As it was we lost the rythm when both Allen and Henderson Went off. Our defence is shaky and whilst I think the intention to play the ball up we should be able to adapt to changing circumstances and go for the long ball the last 20 as they pinned us down pretty good in our own 3rd.

Like Chelsea last season they had Everything going for them and looking back at 180 minutes of football it was more our mistakes than their own making that saw them throurh. I think the better team went out but that happens.  The important thing is to learn from this and improve. The only positive thing I can find with games like this is that it helps making it clearer what players isn't good enough and what areas and aspects of our games need improving.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: February 21, 2013, 10:18:18 PM »
Henderson was played out of position. As we've seen this season he can contribute when played in position. Why not stick Allen out there?

Downing should have been the first player substituted. Assaidi did more in his cameo than Downing did all night.

What's the problem with Shelvey? He looks totally disinterested.

He was just about to come on when we scored the 3rd. Brendan celebrated while Shelvey didn't blink an eye. Extremly low on confidence? As you say he looks alienated and just not "there". He may have been told he'll be gone in the summer.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: February 21, 2013, 10:23:30 PM »
Agree with your sentiments completely Martin. We lost that composure when Allen and Henderson went off.

We controlled the game and the tempo of it rather well with them both pulling the strings in midfield.

It was unfortunate mistake for Carra but also he shouldn't be blamed for us going out. The first leg rendered that a highly tough ask and we almost did it, but not quite.

Allen is at his best in the middle so it was right not to shunt him out wide instead of Henderson, especially when he isn't in form. Henderson is in form so it is logical you put out of form player in an area where his strengths lay.

Assaidi was a good sub and Shelvey wasn't Assaidi did stretch play and linked up quite well with Enrique and Suarez. So I thought he did okay and I can't really complain as he did do what was asked of him.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: February 21, 2013, 10:38:08 PM »
Dreadful mistake by Carra, gave us a mountain to climb.

and climb it we did!

Credit to Luis, a moment to savour! Anything was
possible at that moment.

but...

Them substitutions at that moment??

maybe last 10 minutes throw them on.

Dunno.  ::)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: February 21, 2013, 10:41:17 PM »
Dreadful mistake by Carra, gave us a mountain to climb.

and climb it we did!

Credit to Luis, a moment to savour! Anything was
possible at that moment.

but...

Them substitutions at that moment??

maybe last 10 minutes throw them on.

Dunno.  ::)

Yeah, we noticed the same thing. In the end tho 2 highly avoidable mistakes, 6 missed sitters and the goal of a career cost us a place in the last 16. I seriously doubt Zenit will go any further unless they're on a lucky run similar to Chelsea last season.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: February 21, 2013, 10:41:26 PM »
Another thing we really need to be more aware that sometimes we must just kick the ball into row z and not pass it out. As we saw tonight Zenit had their best chances through that.