December 08, 2019, 12:59:45 PM

Author Topic: Season 2012-2013  (Read 289781 times)

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2012-2013
« Reply #2250 on: March 27, 2013, 01:58:53 PM »
Yeah, that was prolly the difference. So now Henderson is the reason we didnt win the title just like Lucas last season? Big humour. Big indeed.

Hardly Martin, I don't think any of us have said Henderson is the reason we haven't been any good this season. I think we've been intimating at the uselessness of a certain Mr Rodgers aka Mr way out of his depth...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 02:02:56 PM by barticus »

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: March 27, 2013, 02:03:57 PM »
Well, you were hardly born when we last won the title so it is a tad unclear as to why you feel so embarrassed. Your funny though, I give you that.

You're obsessed with funny...
to paraphrase Goodfellas 'you calling me funny?? Funny how...etc..'

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: March 27, 2013, 03:38:05 PM »
Funny how...etc..'
This is how funny Marx is. Sometimes just to
remind myself what an utter football retard
the chap is, I read this:

I'd like to echo the poster before me. Most of my fellow countrymen will say Roy played some part in shaping our understanding of footy in general and goes some way to explain why English football's been so popular in Sweden since the mid-70's. I think Roy's exactl what this club needs. Although he will be affected of the current owners I think he better than any other manager I could think of can help this club buildin a new identity around which the manager, players and the fans can gather. No matter how morally right and justified the complaints of the current owners have been, little or no energy has been invested in discussing how to find a way back to our roots.

I think Roy understand perfectly well where this club is and where it needs to go. What I always liked about Roy and what made him so popular in Sweden in the 70's and 80's was his ability to trust in players but at the same time being able to show them the right directio. This I think is the fundament in establishing a winning mentality. Many young fans have bought into this notion we need a +20 million player in each position to become successful. It is my conviction Roy will prove that hypothesis wrong.

For the first time in a long time I'm actually looking forward to the new season (knew we were gonna fork it up last season when Rafa decided to stick with NGog and Voronin as back up strikers  ::) ).

Welcome Roy and Good Luck!!!  :)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: March 27, 2013, 06:25:39 PM »
JULY 1st 2010.........

Martin claims:  "I think Roy's exactly what this club needs"

great find, Ed.

Yes, Martin has got a very poor record (to put it mildly), when it comes to identifying good managers. 

He lauds useless ones, and berates top ones.

He'd do well on the Liverpool board.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: March 27, 2013, 08:52:42 PM »
Since when is it OK to ridicule, belittle and scorn the manager of this club just because you don't "apprecite" him? It's perfectly OK to be disappointed with the season and how it panned out. It's perfectly OK to be critical of the manager. But that's a totally different thing to take every chance to have a sly dig at him for the sake of it. If you can't see the difference then this place's become seriously fukced up.

Ridicule, belittle, scorn. Who are you addressing those accusations at?

I'd also be careful about throwing stones in that glasshouse of yours. Maybe when when you can practice what you preach re a certain Champions League winning manager (who before you dive in two footed, I'm not dying to see him return) then maybe I'd be more prone to agreeing with that criticism, however harsh, is fine whereas I'd draw the line at personal insults, but at the moment I feel less inclined to disagree with that sort of behaviour, as your 'not so' sly digs at Chelsea's manager are far more frequent than anything of that ilk I read about Rodgers on here.

Whilst to some they may be 'sly digs for the sake of it' to others they are observations on different aspects of his management, and the frequency with which these observations are made are becoming tiringly too frequent and repetative, which may have an influence on the tone used.

Martin, if you really want 'f@cked up' this site is incredibly tolerant of the manager in comparison to a few others I could point you in the direction of. One of them in particular, I only read, but never bother posting on due to the unwarranted sh!t that gets dished in the manager's direction.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: March 27, 2013, 08:54:35 PM »
Yeah, that was prolly the difference. So now Henderson is the reason we didnt win the title just like Lucas last season? Big humour. Big indeed.

Martin, I admit I'm tired so my brain may have missed it, but in what is this post refering to, or rather who's post is it a reply to?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: March 27, 2013, 09:00:14 PM »
JULY 1st 2010.........

Martin claims:  "I think Roy's exactly what this club needs"

great find, Ed.

Yes, Martin has got a very poor record (to put it mildly), when it comes to identifying good managers. 

He lauds useless ones, and berates top ones.

He'd do well on the Liverpool board.

I'll leave this one to Dude and Ed. I don't want Martin to think we're ganging up on him and having 'sly digs for the sake of it'.

We all make mistakes.  :D    Hell, even I thought Skrtel had finally become a decent centre half last season.  :D  Shows how much I know.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: March 27, 2013, 10:34:41 PM »
I'll leave this one to Dude and Ed. I don't want Martin to think we're ganging up on him and having 'sly digs for the sake of it'.

We all make mistakes.  :D    Hell, even I thought Skrtel had finally become a decent centre half last season.  :D  Shows how much I know.

lol

I still think he is a good defender.  The problem is the manager, who is leaving him totally exposed.  It is no coincidence that all our defensive lads have now got question marks hanging over them, including our keeper.

we never fully replaced didi hamann, or the argie lad, mascherano......that is, someone who sits in front and protects our defence.  And the best we have, Lucas, is often not played (or injured), in favour of Allen. 

Allen would not get into my 5-a-side team.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: March 27, 2013, 11:40:43 PM »
I'd also be careful about throwing stones in that glasshouse of yours. Maybe when when you can practice what you preach re a certain Champions League winning manager (who before you dive in two footed, I'm not dying to see him return) then maybe I'd be more prone to agreeing with that criticism, however harsh, is fine whereas I'd draw the line at personal insults, but at the moment I feel less inclined to disagree with that sort of behaviour, as your 'not so' sly digs at Chelsea's manager are far more frequent than anything of that ilk I read about Rodgers on here.

As you lot seems so skilled at picking up old posts I guess it wouldn't be too much to ask for a few quotes where I insulted Chelsea's interim manager. Mind, the fact I said he put his ego before the best interests of the club hardly qualifies as an insult. Please enlighten me of my wrongdoings.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: March 28, 2013, 05:08:27 PM »
As you lot seems so skilled at picking up old posts I guess it wouldn't be too much to ask for a few quotes where I insulted Chelsea's interim manager. Mind, the fact I said he put his ego before the best interests of the club hardly qualifies as an insult. Please enlighten me of my wrongdoings.

What you claim to have done or not done is what happens most of the time on here re Rodgers, but you apply different standards to those comments than you do to the ones you make about Benitez. It's not so much that you regularly offer your insight into him, it's the fact that he's now irrelevant to this club, whereas Rodgers isn't.
You appear to keep haranguing him and bringing him up as some of 'retaliation' for the perceived 'insults' supposedly hurled at Rodgers, mainly I suspect because you seem to think that those who don't share your appreciation of Rodgers would like to see him replaced with Benitez.

From my perspective Benitez deserves credit and most importantly respect for bringing number 5 and another CL final two years later. Whilst he underperformed in the PL which is a huge disappointment, that can't take away one jot from the CL experiences we enjoyed.
If Rodgers gets us to one CL final he'll have my everlasting respect like Rafa does.
If he gets us into the top four on a regular basis like Wenger has with Arsenal (as that's the model we appear to following), then likewise.
I'm setting his bar lower than the one Benitez scaled.

Martin, I can accept without question that you see it as fine having a guy with a mere 2 years management experience, a single top flight season and not one single European match placed in charge of trying to halt the decline and regain our previous place at the top table of English and European football. Appointed to a club that has an equally inexperienced and in Ayres' case, totally unsuitable, management structure and board setup.
Therefore I understand that you defend your choice and seem able to 'let go' things that others who are less partial see as a real problem.

I've told you this before, but I'll repeat myself (mainly because my middle initials are BBC) in saying that when Benitez was manager he got the same scrutiny and had the same disection of all aspects of his management as Rodgers has had, in spite of the fact he had an infinitely better CV and therefore bought himself respect with such.

I'd have had much more respect for Rodgers if he'd agreed to work with a more experienced appointment (whatever the guy's title would have been), thereby acknowledging his youth and massive inexperience whilst at the same time showing a greater appreciation of what would be required to succeed at the job in hand.
Anyone who had been appointed after the Toxics had been ejected would have had a mountain to climb, especially as the new owners haven't seen fit to appoint a board and managing director with sufficent knowledge, experience, gravitas and savvy in all required elements to both guide them (the owners) and render the fact that Henry, Werner and Co have the knowledge and interest in all aspects of English and European football of your average fence post, as being a merely academic fact, nothing more, nothing less.
The thing is it's better to have Sir Edmond Hilary there to show the way up the mountain than your average Joe who's nearest experience to peaks of that nature is doing a bit of hill walking in the Derbshire Dales whilst on their annual caravanning holiday, and who thinks that reaching the top of Mam Tor is a conquest of nature. 

Interesting that you use the mention of putting ego before the club as an example of a non insult, as points very similar and references to a lack of humility and when things go right congratulating himself and his methods and when things don't absolving himself and his methods from any culpability or being contributory in any way, have been made on occasion, but don't get granted the same free pass as you have given yourself over the highlighted points you've made previously about Benitez.

As for wrongdoings, that's the whole point of this running 'back and forth'.
There is no 'right' or 'wrong'. Observations or opinions whether shared or not agreed upon or nether 'right' or 'wrong', so whether one, all or none of us agree or disagree with a single word written, it means nothing.
So whilst it's irrelevent, so almost pointless to keep bringing up previous managers who have moved on elsewhere, if you wish to that then have the grace to accept when similar things are levelled at the current manager if appropriate, as that has much more of a bearing on the here and now and where we will be going forward.

It seems as our season long defensive paucity is down to the players, or at least thats the impression being given from some quarters, so therefore if that's the case and the reason why the issue has gone unaddressed or at least the effect is one continued problems, then I would expect the manager to address it in the Summer and there be a noticable change and improvement next season.
Quite why players who have previously been a part of much more effective defensive units have suddenly become less effective both individually and collectively seems somewhat odd, and if the answer lies in the different method of playing that has been adopted then surely questions have to be asked as to why carry out something which whilst improves on the one hand detracts on the other, leaving an overall nett effect of pretty much zero.
Or if indeed the players are to blame and therefore aren't suited then why the change until the neccessary pieces of the puzzle are at hand to use. The decision to carry on regardless of having the required tools for the job to be undertaken can't be levelled at the players, so it's not quite as cut and dried as has been inferred from some quarters throughout the season.

Anywho, let's see what we get at Villa, a response or a continuation from the Southampton game. Lets see what has been learned from the mistakes of earlier in the season against them.
It will be interesting to see if our midfield is set up better so Villa can't just walk through it, almost at will, like they could at Anfield.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: March 28, 2013, 08:57:16 PM »
Martin, your head is up your a.r.se

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: March 31, 2013, 03:23:23 PM »
Poor first half, better second half and thankfully Benteke was offside in the last few seconds as the defence where asleep to his run around the back.

2-1. Makes up partly for the abject display at home. If only we could have done something similar against the Saints, but I suppose yesterday's 2-1 victory over Chelsea and their good results against the top 6 this season adds some (mid-table?) perspective.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: March 31, 2013, 03:36:52 PM »
Another crap win by a crap team and its crap manager.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: March 31, 2013, 04:18:53 PM »
Another crap win by a crap team and its crap manager.

I know, it's sickening how the Mancs keep doing it.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: March 31, 2013, 04:43:57 PM »
Have to say Jordan's celebration fills me with Joy  ;D

http://twitpic.com/cfy2lw/full

Passion and commitment to the cause!