October 17, 2019, 03:40:22 AM

Author Topic: Season 2012-2013  (Read 267363 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2012-2013
« Reply #2265 on: March 31, 2013, 04:54:09 PM »
Have to say Jordan's celebration fills me with Joy  ;D

http://twitpic.com/cfy2lw/full

Passion and commitment to the cause!

I dunno, Ed.

It looks, to me, like he's had a bad reaction to our awful away strip.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: March 31, 2013, 04:55:45 PM »
Another crap win by a crap team and its crap manager.

patience, Martin, patience.

baby steps.

today, Villa.......tomorrow WBA.....perhaps we can dream of Everton, one day.

but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: March 31, 2013, 06:45:06 PM »
Another crap win by a crap team and its crap manager.

Don't worry Martin, he'll be gone in the Summer if we don't get European football. Not too long now.  :D
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: March 31, 2013, 07:39:50 PM »

I dunno, Ed.

It looks, to me, like he's had a bad reaction to our awful away strip.

He looks to me like he's come to terms with leaving his hometown club, and got his head around being a Liverpool player, and fewer allowances are made when you're not the hometown hero.
Also it helps when you're not stuck out on the right wing.

Arguably the most improved player this season at the club.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: March 31, 2013, 08:19:57 PM »
Don't worry Martin, he'll be gone in the Summer if we don't get European football. Not too long now.  :D

;D

he may well get promoted upstairs.  Coz I see he is now speaking with Captain Marvel about a new contract.

Ayres and the board should be made redundant....save wages.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: March 31, 2013, 08:22:52 PM »
Arguably the most improved player this season at the club.

sure has improved.

I am still not convinced re his abilities at the highest level.  But he is far better than the rest of what we have in that part of the team.

allen is a waste of space.......and I see our boss linked today to more swansea players.....now their keeper is linked......he must be 29 or 30.

and we are still linked with the swansea fullback.....75 year old ashley williams.

i'd have thought that we would have learned our lesson after buying allen.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: March 31, 2013, 08:30:10 PM »
Tepid and woeful in the first half...much better in the 2nd...coutinho's pass for the first goal was sublime and suarez was tireless and his persistence paid off. Better performance cos we weren't completely over run in midifield with henderson there...with allen being injured rodgers won't have the chance to bugger about with the midfield so we might finally see some stability there...having said that, i've cursed it now...damn...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: March 31, 2013, 11:03:30 PM »
sure has improved.

I am still not convinced re his abilities at the highest level.  But he is far better than the rest of what we have in that part of the team.

allen is a waste of space.......and I see our boss linked today to more swansea players.....now their keeper is linked......he must be 29 or 30.

and we are still linked with the swansea fullback.....75 year old ashley williams.

i'd have thought that we would have learned our lesson after buying allen.

Sometimes it does make you wonder why we bother having any sort of scouting network.

Rodgers stated when he came in that we had no scouting network to speak of and wasn't sure who was who and who would be staying which was one of the reasons he spent so much on all (I'll try and find the interview, as it was a couple of weeks or so ago), so why the need now to go back to Swansea with Dave Fallows and his team in place.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/sep/14/liverpool-brendan-rodgers-scouts

Talking about no scouting team (not the interview I referred to earlier).

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: April 01, 2013, 03:26:48 AM »
Better performance cos we weren't completely over run in midifield with henderson there...with allen being injured rodgers won't have the chance to bugger about with the midfield so we might finally see some stability there
Agree completely, the extra man made a difference! (Mind boggles how the
gaffer picked the Southampton team).

Great result, the side still needs lots of work though away from home imo. If
he'd stuck with the side that performed at the Emirates, swapping in and out
Coutinho & Sturridge, I think we'd be seeing a bit more cohesion and flow that
comes with a familiar line-up.

Any sort of playing out from the back under pressure away from home should
just be stopped. Kind of bemused exactly what position Johnson is playing in
the team, he's beginning to resemble a sort of luxury player (easy on the eye,
pops up with a screamer every now and again), not sure he's at the races
defensively or to put it differently, he doesn't give the impression that he sees
himself and his prime duty as being a defender... :( Almost as if the teamsheet
should read also guest starring Glenn Johnson as...

sure has improved.

Scoring important goals is a handy knack to have. Of course
he needs to continue working hard to keep improving. Stevie
G's first half display could learn a thing from him in terms of
ball retention and patience away from home.

I presume the strategy is to score more than the opposition 'til the
end of the season because the state of the defence hardly inspires
any sort of confidence.

More pluses than negatives...just about!

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: April 02, 2013, 01:09:30 PM »
What you claim to have done or not done is what happens most of the time on here re Rodgers, but you apply different standards to those comments than you do to the ones you make about Benitez. It's not so much that you regularly offer your insight into him, it's the fact that he's now irrelevant to this club, whereas Rodgers isn't.
You appear to keep haranguing him and bringing him up as some of 'retaliation' for the perceived 'insults' supposedly hurled at Rodgers, mainly I suspect because you seem to think that those who don't share your appreciation of Rodgers would like to see him replaced with Benitez.

No, no and no. The reason I keep mentioning Rafa is because he's used as sole evidence Rodger's managerial credentials doesn't fit the bill. Rafael Benitez will never manage this club again mainly because he failed to improve the team in the PL during his 6 year spell. I've said numerous times on here I was happy as fkuc when we signed Rafa, that I'm eternally grateful for no. 5 and that he was probably one of the best managers in the game during his first 24 months at the club. I don't know what happened but it remains a fact he lost it sometime in 2007 - sacking of Ayesteran, Drogba dvd, Parry conflict, sole charge of transfer conflict, endless fights with G & H, the infamous attempt at engaging in mind games with Taggart. And there's more. All of this needs to be taken into context when you decide to write off the current manager after less than half a season. I gave Rafa 4 seasons before I started to write thing similar to what's said about Rodgers on here, why can't you lot give him one? Becasue you KNOW he's not able to take us to the next level?

From my perspective Benitez deserves credit and most importantly respect for bringing number 5 and another CL final two years later. Whilst he underperformed in the PL which is a huge disappointment, that can't take away one jot from the CL experiences we enjoyed. If Rodgers gets us to one CL final he'll have my everlasting respect like Rafa does.
If he gets us into the top four on a regular basis like Wenger has with Arsenal (as that's the model we appear to following), then likewise. I'm setting his bar lower than the one Benitez scaled.

Yes he deserves respect for winnin no. 5 I agree. I do not agree with the rest. Rafa's mission was to take us closer to no.19. He got 6 full seasons and failed altho the 2008/09 season was good. I would always agree iwith Shanks that the league is our bread and butter. That's something Rafa never took onboard it seems. His fear of losing was Always bigger than his will to win and the steady decline in the league during his tenure (bar that one-off in 2009) is a testament to that fact. I don't think either of us will ever see Brendan cruising us to another CL final. But that's not his commission. His job is to rebuild and restore continuity for this club. He was dealt a very weak hand and given that he's done tremendously well this season. The win at Villa is a huge testament as to how far the team has progressed under his guidance. That's why I think it's unfair, yes even dishonest, to ask of Brendan the same return in results we asked of Rafa who came in and took over a much stronger squad at a much more stable club.

Martin, I can accept without question that you see it as fine having a guy with a mere 2 years management experience, a single top flight season and not one single European match placed in charge of trying to halt the decline and regain our previous place at the top table of English and European football. Appointed to a club that has an equally inexperienced and in Ayres' case, totally unsuitable, management structure and board setup.
Therefore I understand that you defend your choice and seem able to 'let go' things that others who are less partial see as a real problem.

No, that's not the case. Me too can see, in large, what we lack. Me too can see he's made some silly and costly mistakes over the course of the season. But I can also balance that with the good things he brought to the club. Unlike you I never thought he'd be able to fix all the problems we suffered from in one season. Here's some he sorted. Downing's better (tho still not good enough IMHO), Henderson's looking more and more at least decent value for Money, Sturridge and Coutinho looks great buys, we sorted the goal drought, we're playing better and more efficient footy as a TEAM than we have for a very very long time. He's set us up very very nicely for next year!!!

I've told you this before, but I'll repeat myself (mainly because my middle initials are BBC) in saying that when Benitez was manager he got the same scrutiny and had the same disection of all aspects of his management as Rodgers has had, in spite of the fact he had an infinitely better CV and therefore bought himself respect with such.

And again scrutiny, constructive criticism, frustration over bad decisions is one thing, personal insults, unfounded criticism, non-support is a totally different. I gave my full support to Rafa for over 2 seasons altho I often thought he made the wrong decisions or priorities.

I'd have had much more respect for Rodgers if he'd agreed to work with a more experienced appointment (whatever the guy's title would have been), thereby acknowledging his youth and massive inexperience whilst at the same time showing a greater appreciation of what would be required to succeed at the job in hand.
Anyone who had been appointed after the Toxics had been ejected would have had a mountain to climb, especially as the new owners haven't seen fit to appoint a board and managing director with sufficent knowledge, experience, gravitas and savvy in all required elements to both guide them (the owners) and render the fact that Henry, Werner and Co have the knowledge and interest in all aspects of English and European football of your average fence post, as being a merely academic fact, nothing more, nothing less.
The thing is it's better to have Sir Edmond Hilary there to show the way up the mountain than your average Joe who's nearest experience to peaks of that nature is doing a bit of hill walking in the Derbshire Dales whilst on their annual caravanning holiday, and who thinks that reaching the top of Mam Tor is a conquest of nature.

I hear what you say and I also think I can see where you're coming from. I respect that point of view. At the same time I kind of like and appreciate Brendan's belief in himself and his ideas. An experienced appointment (regardless of the role and formal power connected to it) would always bring a moment of rejection/non-belief in Rodgers no matter how you look at it. When would be the right time to hand Brendan sole power? Who would decide that? I fear such a solution, no matter how logical and sympathetic, would halt the club's progression. We simply have different opinions on that one.

Interesting that you use the mention of putting ego before the club as an example of a non insult, as points very similar and references to a lack of humility and when things go right congratulating himself and his methods and when things don't absolving himself and his methods from any culpability or being contributory in any way, have been made on occasion, but don't get granted the same free pass as you have given yourself over the highlighted points you've made previously about Benitez.

I think what you say apply to most human beings. I would say some of Rafa's decisions though, are unprecedented as for instance his Drogba dvd, the "fact" discussion with Taggart, the Parry incident, and the sole charge of transfer affair. These are decisions and actions on a totally different level than anything Brendan's come even close to. If you're honest about it I think you can see that as well.

As for wrongdoings, that's the whole point of this running 'back and forth'. There is no 'right' or 'wrong'. Observations or opinions whether shared or not agreed upon or nether 'right' or 'wrong', so whether one, all or none of us agree or disagree with a single word written, it means nothing. So whilst it's irrelevent, so almost pointless to keep bringing up previous managers who have moved on elsewhere, if you wish to that then have the grace to accept when similar things are levelled at the current manager if appropriate, as that has much more of a bearing on the here and now and where we will be going forward.

I wouldn't bring up past mangers if they weren't constantly brought in as evidence the current manager is "brainless", "Brent-like", "Clueless" or what have you. If Brendan, in this place, had been critizised and judged based on his own merits rather than his age or previous track record we'd probably have a more civilized discussion climate.

It seems as our season long defensive paucity is down to the players, or at least thats the impression being given from some quarters, so therefore if that's the case and the reason why the issue has gone unaddressed or at least the effect is one continued problems, then I would expect the manager to address it in the Summer and there be a noticable change and improvement next season. Quite why players who have previously been a part of much more effective defensive units have suddenly become less effective both individually and collectively seems somewhat odd, and if the answer lies in the different method of playing that has been adopted then surely questions have to be asked as to why carry out something which whilst improves on the one hand detracts on the other, leaving an overall nett effect of pretty much zero. Or if indeed the players are to blame and therefore aren't suited then why the change until the neccessary pieces of the puzzle are at hand to use. The decision to carry on regardless of having the required tools for the job to be undertaken can't be levelled at the players, so it's not quite as cut and dried as has been inferred from some quarters throughout the season.

That's a concern of mine as well. But maybe Agger and Skrtel never was as good as we first thought? Maybe Skrtel last season was masked by our offensive failure? Maybe Agger just never got the chance earlier to prove his genuine quality? I can see Brendan's preferred style of play may have implications for the players in the squad. We'll see in the summer how he'll adress the issue for it is clear that we would most likely have finished 4th or at least very close to 4th if it wasn't for all the silly mistakes that cost us silly points (even though most of them have been individual).

Anywho, let's see what we get at Villa, a response or a continuation from the Southampton game. Lets see what has been learned from the mistakes of earlier in the season against them. It will be interesting to see if our midfield is set up better so Villa can't just walk through it, almost at will, like they could at Anfield.

In hindsight to that game a lot I would say. The change of our central midfield from 2-1 to 1-2 did the trick in terms of preventing Villa to play the ball through the center while at the same time providing more people going forward. It also helped us kill off the game the last 20 where we could see glimpses of what Brendan mean by "resting with the ball".
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: April 02, 2013, 03:21:24 PM »
Take the Brent/Rodgers quiz - from today's Guardian.

the MouthMaster General will not be best pleased when he sees this in today's papers.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/quiz/2013/apr/02/brendan-rodgers-david-brent-quotes-quiz

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: April 02, 2013, 03:33:19 PM »
No, no and no. The reason I keep mentioning Rafa is because he's used as sole evidence Rodger's managerial credentials doesn't fit the bill. Rafael Benitez will never manage this club again mainly because he failed to improve the team in the PL during his 6 year spell. I've said numerous times on here I was happy as fkuc when we signed Rafa, that I'm eternally grateful for no. 5 and that he was probably one of the best managers in the game during his first 24 months at the club. I don't know what happened but it remains a fact he lost it sometime in 2007 - sacking of Ayesteran, Drogba dvd, Parry conflict, sole charge of transfer conflict, endless fights with G & H, the infamous attempt at engaging in mind games with Taggart. And there's more. All of this needs to be taken into context when you decide to write off the current manager after less than half a season. I gave Rafa 4 seasons before I started to write thing similar to what's said about Rodgers on here, why can't you lot give him one? Becasue you KNOW he's not able to take us to the next level?

Yes he deserves respect for winnin no. 5 I agree. I do not agree with the rest. Rafa's mission was to take us closer to no.19. He got 6 full seasons and failed altho the 2008/09 season was good. I would always agree iwith Shanks that the league is our bread and butter. That's something Rafa never took onboard it seems. His fear of losing was Always bigger than his will to win and the steady decline in the league during his tenure (bar that one-off in 2009) is a testament to that fact. I don't think either of us will ever see Brendan cruising us to another CL final. But that's not his commission. His job is to rebuild and restore continuity for this club. He was dealt a very weak hand and given that he's done tremendously well this season. .....

In hindsight to that game a lot I would say. The change of our central midfield from 2-1 to 1-2 did the trick in terms of preventing Villa to play the ball through the center while at the same time providing more people going forward. It also helped us kill off the game the last 20 where we could see glimpses of what Brendan mean by "resting with the ball".

what a load of tosh.

Rodgers was not dealt a very weak hand when he arrived.

He had a fine set of players, that just needed tweaking.  Plus, he's had, relative to other teams (in our neck of the premiership woods) like everton, wba, swansea, barrowloads of money to spend, to enhance the team.

he has failed in every competition that he has entered.....the league cup was over before the first frosts, the fa cup and europe were done with shortly after Christmas......and the league was over by mid September.

Rodgers is a poor man's kevin keegan (management/tactically wise).

and who is the nutter linked with these  days - oh, another winger, and an attacking midfielder, plus alonso.

there is very little focus on bringing in top defensive players.  And what was all this nonsense about bringing in players with resale value....feck, we seem to be linked with grandads - blokes in their late 20s and early 30s.

Rodgers is (and always will be) a bullsh.i.tt.er.    He's building feck all.  You or me could have done what he has done this season.  Just tell your players to knock the ball around and focus on attacking the other team.  If Rodgers had not had Suarez, then he would really have been exposed.

Yes, we can usually bully teams in the lower half of the league - but top half teams tend to expose Rodger's tactical naivety. 

I wish our board would bring in a top manager this summer...but they won't.  They will give this snake-oil salesman another year.  A wasted year, coming on the back of the hodgson and dalglish wasted years.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 03:35:00 PM by the dude abides »

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: April 02, 2013, 07:20:33 PM »
I do apologize sincerely for having the stupidity to believe in and support our manager.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: April 02, 2013, 08:53:34 PM »
Rafa appreciated your support.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: April 02, 2013, 10:10:36 PM »
Rafa appreciated your support.

I hope he did as it lasted far far longer than yours did for Brendan. What am I saying? It never existed on your part at all. You're that new type of fan that decide on your own whether or not to support the manager of this club. Nice one!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 10:12:10 PM by Martinmarx »