December 07, 2019, 08:57:10 AM

Author Topic: Season 2012-2013  (Read 289497 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2012-2013
« Reply #2325 on: April 08, 2013, 11:02:54 PM »
I think one needs to examine why anybody would want to own a club.

are some of these billionaires, that pile loads of cash into buying and running a club, laundering money.

is it a vanity project.

or is it with an eye on the possible major capital gains on the sale of a club.

or, is it done, with an eye on some future massive revenue streams to materialise (e.g. are premiership highlights and goals gonna be shown on some major new revenue stream, like mobile phones.

or, and this is my best guess, is the purchase of a club, all a marketing exercise to help the rest of your product range.  Look, for example at the Emirates buying naming rights for Arsenal's new ground.  Tha has to be a very successful and smart move.

the reason I am asking these questions, is that smart business people must know that there is no annual profits to be had from running a typical club.  So it has to be some other motive.

So any new owner, who most likely will come from asia or the middle east, has to be buying the club for the right reasons.  And not too many top business people are prone to buying loss-making entities.

Great points, Dude. Whilst our aspirations are to win trophies and the league, the owner's would be to make a profit in the long term (as you say there's really no short term profit as that needs to be re-invested in the cash hungry beast that is a football club).
Money launderers, however successful are a definite no-no.
A marketing exercise would appear harmless though it depends 'what' we are helping to market.

With massive new revenue streams I guess it depends whether an owner would wish to divert some his way or leave it intact going into the club 100% in the hope it added further value to the club - I guess it depends which is more valuable, a yearly dividend or increased 'potential' value.

I'm even more picky about my club owners than I am with my food.  ;D 
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: April 08, 2013, 11:32:55 PM »
Great points, Dude. Whilst our aspirations are to win trophies and the league, the owner's would be to make a profit in the long term (as you say there's really no short term profit as that needs to be re-invested in the cash hungry beast that is a football club).
Money launderers, however successful are a definite no-no.
A marketing exercise would appear harmless though it depends 'what' we are helping to market.

With massive new revenue streams I guess it depends whether an owner would wish to divert some his way or leave it intact going into the club 100% in the hope it added further value to the club - I guess it depends which is more valuable, a yearly dividend or increased 'potential' value.

I'm even more picky about my club owners than I am with my food.  ;D

:D

the thing is, very few billionaires have not smashed a few eggs, and upset a few apple-carts, on the way, to their billions. 

even look at richard branson these days, involved in the new privatised healthcare market.  Scummish business activity.

I definitely do not want any more yanks at the club. 

but as for future success, do we really want to sell our soul (both morally and financially), to be be like a man utd or chelsea - who are 100s of millions in debt.

I dunno the answer.  If we were 600 or 700 million in debt, like United, is that success, or is it a car-crash waiting to happen.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: April 09, 2013, 12:29:47 AM »

the thing is, very few billionaires have not smashed a few eggs, and upset a few apple-carts, on the way, to their billions. 

even look at richard branson these days, involved in the new privatised healthcare market.  Scummish business activity.

I definitely do not want any more yanks at the club. 

but as for future success, do we really want to sell our soul (both morally and financially), to be be like a man utd or chelsea - who are 100s of millions in debt.

I dunno the answer.  If we were 600 or 700 million in debt, like United, is that success, or is it a car-crash waiting to happen.

Some people argue that debt is not a problem if you can service it, but as the TV contracts are only short term 3-4 years each, then I'd hate the idea that servicing debt depended on them staying at current levels indefinitely.

I wonder if a club can be self sustaining now with the levels of salaries and transfer fees, even with a 60k+ ground without prices being very top end.

The whole way football has gone feels like a mass pile up waiting to happen. Maybe if we can do as Arsenal have done, ticking over in a self sustained way without ever quite having enough to really challenge at the very top end and then wait for the mass crash to happen and football to have to re-align itself which could leave self sustained clubs sitting pretty.
The football balloon has to burst at some time, though those in charge seem to have the same attitude as the powers had about the housing market and financial systems, they think they have the first unburstable balloon.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: April 09, 2013, 12:51:18 AM »
The whole way football has gone feels like a mass pile up waiting to happen. Maybe if we can do as Arsenal have done, ticking over in a self sustained way without ever quite having enough to really challenge at the very top end and then wait for the mass crash to happen and football to have to re-align itself which could leave self sustained clubs sitting pretty.

I often think the same way, Tes.   i.e. if clubs like Liverpool and Arsenal can keep ticking over, build adequate stadium sizes, and stay reasonably debt free, and stay on the shoulders of the crazy spending clubs, ready to motor past them (ala Seb Coe in the final 200 meters in 1980s races), when the bubble bursts.

and like the housing price bubble, this madness has to end, sooner or later.  ANd heaven help those without a chair when the music stops.  I'd hate to be a club hundreds of millions in debt, without CL or premiership revenues.  It was dependent on Sky for 20 odd years.  Now BT is in the market in a big way.  But if fans just say, enough is enough....then what will happen?  I said enough was enough, in 2005.  Cancelled my entire Sky package. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: April 09, 2013, 07:44:48 PM »
Hmm interesting things afoot....whether mourinho is playing mind games...but yesterday in Marca (spanish footy paper) Mourinho said when he goes back to Chelsea he'll look forward to starting the rivalry again with Rafa who will be at...liverpool...

and then this comes along today...

'The Chelsea interim boss is set to leave Stamford Bridge this summer and has hinted that he would like to stay in the Premier League.

The Liverpool manager's job is currently occupied by Brendan Rodgers but that does not stop Benitez dreaming of a return. "I will return, almost certainly. What I do not know is when. My daughters and wife still live there," Benitez told Marca.

"My idea is to train a competitive team. Why not in England? We will have to wait and see. Everything will be worked out."

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/8627450/Benitez-Almost-Certain-To-Manage-Liverpool-Again

The plot thickens

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: April 09, 2013, 11:12:35 PM »
Hmm interesting things afoot....whether mourinho is playing mind games...but yesterday in Marca (spanish footy paper) Mourinho said when he goes back to Chelsea he'll look forward to starting the rivalry again with Rafa who will be at...liverpool...

and then this comes along today...

'The Chelsea interim boss is set to leave Stamford Bridge this summer and has hinted that he would like to stay in the Premier League.

The Liverpool manager's job is currently occupied by Brendan Rodgers but that does not stop Benitez dreaming of a return. "I will return, almost certainly. What I do not know is when. My daughters and wife still live there," Benitez told Marca.

"My idea is to train a competitive team. Why not in England? We will have to wait and see. Everything will be worked out."

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/8627450/Benitez-Almost-Certain-To-Manage-Liverpool-Again

The plot thickens

So Moyes is off to City then?  ;D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: April 09, 2013, 11:16:39 PM »

The plot thickens

this would explain why Martin's done a runner.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: April 09, 2013, 11:17:43 PM »
So Moyes is off to City then?  ;D

you know, FSG are so far out of their comfort-zone, that I wouldn;t be surprised if they were tempted to bring in Moyes.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: April 09, 2013, 11:42:33 PM »
"I will return, almost certainly. My daughters and wife still live there,"

I imagine it will be pretty difficult to be with his wife and daughters without returning to Liverpool. Nice tongue in cheek from Rafa and the media have fallen for it.  ;)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: April 10, 2013, 09:31:19 PM »

Rafa's english is obviously good enough for him to be able to display some humour, with word play.

not that our scum media would even want to post correct meanings from quotes.  If Rafa joked that he was the anti-christ, the media would start doing stories about how his teams always hated crosses.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: April 10, 2013, 10:55:10 PM »
The media really are so dumb and desperate in this country.

From: http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/312/8629990/-

"I have my family in Liverpool so that is my home and I will come back to Liverpool any time.

"Just to clarify: I'm talking about my home, where my family is, not the team.

"I am the Chelsea manager and I will go back next week because we have to play against Liverpool (April 21)."

They've been played like a cheap fiddle.

And Rodgers either fell for it too or couldn't just resist the chance to talk himself up:

“Rafa had a successful time here and I think he will join a list of probably many managers throughout the world who would love to manage a great club – especially having been here before,” said the former Swansea City manager. “Obviously that opportunity was there in the summer if the owners wanted to go down that route as Rafa was unemployed and not working. But they felt it best to go in a different direction and develop the club in a different way.”

I would have said it was pretty obvious what he meant from his comments, afterall he is working in London, at the opposite end of the country from his family and I can't believe he commutes every day:

“I will return to Liverpool one day almost certainly, I just don’t know when. My daughters and wife are still living there.”

I'm not sure why Rodgers felt the need to say anything, though I do think the headline wasn't needed. It's must better to let people make their own minds up or is it just an excuse to have a pop at us through the manager?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:02:15 PM by Tes »

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: April 11, 2013, 12:38:07 PM »
Rodgers admits mixed feelings

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers admits missing out on a place in Europe next season may not be a bad thing.

Rodgers remains hopeful his side can clinch a place in the Europa League despite being seven points behind fifth-placed Arsenal with only six matches remaining in the Premier League.

However, the Northern Irishman will not be too disappointed if they fall short as he is plotting an assault on the top four next season.

"There are two arguments," Rodgers told the Liverpool Echo. "As a club we want to be in there. We really enjoyed the European football this season after it had been missing for a year and I know the supporters love the travel.

"But you could argue that a season free of European football would give us a greater chance of finishing in a much higher position in the league - of competing for the top four which is a really difficult task with the teams up there and the finances involved.

"Our squad from the beginning of this season was small and we are gradually building that up.

"We would love to be in there and we want to finish as high as we possibly can, but it won't be the end of the world if we don't qualify for Europe. If it doesn't happen then it could end up being a blessing for us.

"It could allow us to have a real strong run at the league next year and that can then really springboard us for the years going forward.

"But ultimately we want a squad strong enough to be able to cope with European football as well as the domestic league and cups."

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/8630797/Rodgers-No-Europe-Could-Be-Blessing-

Conveniently forgetting that he got rid of 6 internationals in the summer, when talking about a small squad...next we'll be hearing that winning cups strains the squad so we won't bother with them either...which in fact migth have been his gameplan all along.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: April 11, 2013, 11:14:38 PM »
next we'll be hearing that winning cups strains the squad so we won't bother with them either...which in fact migth have been his gameplan all along.
twas actually his strategy last year at Swansea ejected from
cup competitions at the soonest opportunity, unlike his successor
Laudrup who bagged the CC.

I'm not buying it, this blessing in disguise not having European football
BS, just words, excuses, a positive spin on failure etc..

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: April 12, 2013, 12:20:50 AM »
twas actually his strategy last year at Swansea ejected from
cup competitions at the soonest opportunity, unlike his successor
Laudrup who bagged the CC.

I'm not buying it, this blessing in disguise not having European football
BS, just words, excuses, a positive spin on failure etc..

It's hard to believe he actually went and said it, isn't it?

He makes us sound like Bolton or Stoke, just happy to have a 'European adventure for the season'.

So we've gone from 2nd, top four, finishing as high as possible, to now missing out on Europe is no big deal.

Big clubs juggle multiple competitions, including European football, and relish it.

It seems since Bendan Martin left this forum, unable to convince us of his worthiness to be LFC manager, he's just given up the ghost.

I realise Vicarage Road, the Majeski, The Vetch Field/Liberty Stadium aren't used to it, but this is Anfield, where big nights are woven into the fabric and history of European competition.

Get your money on us for next season's Liverpool Senior Cup and an open top minibus parade up and down Anfield Road.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: April 12, 2013, 12:25:06 AM »
Rodgers admits mixed feelings

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers admits missing out on a place in Europe next season may not be a bad thing.

Rodgers remains hopeful his side can clinch a place in the Europa League despite being seven points behind fifth-placed Arsenal with only six matches remaining in the Premier League.

However, the Northern Irishman will not be too disappointed if they fall short as he is plotting an assault on the top four next season.

"There are two arguments," Rodgers told the Liverpool Echo. "As a club we want to be in there. We really enjoyed the European football this season after it had been missing for a year and I know the supporters love the travel.

"But you could argue that a season free of European football would give us a greater chance of finishing in a much higher position in the league - of competing for the top four which is a really difficult task with the teams up there and the finances involved.

"Our squad from the beginning of this season was small and we are gradually building that up.

"We would love to be in there and we want to finish as high as we possibly can, but it won't be the end of the world if we don't qualify for Europe. If it doesn't happen then it could end up being a blessing for us.

"It could allow us to have a real strong run at the league next year and that can then really springboard us for the years going forward.

"But ultimately we want a squad strong enough to be able to cope with European football as well as the domestic league and cups."

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/8630797/Rodgers-No-Europe-Could-Be-Blessing-

Conveniently forgetting that he got rid of 6 internationals in the summer, when talking about a small squad...next we'll be hearing that winning cups strains the squad so we won't bother with them either...which in fact might have been his game plan all along.

The Fail are carrying the story too. The comments section makes for interesting reading:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2307549/Brendan-Rodgers-Missing-European-football-blessing-Liverpool.html

Luis must be on the phone to his agent as we speak and unless Gerrard really is mercenary he must be wondering about signing up for another five years of rebuilding and a five four year plan.

Also on that Mail page on the video advert top right of the page listen to the interview about the sacking of Brian McDermott of Reading. Rodgers talks about his time at Reading. How 'unenlightened' Reading are.  :D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 12:30:44 AM by Tes »