October 23, 2019, 05:30:27 PM

Author Topic: Season 2012-2013  (Read 271673 times)

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2012-2013
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2012, 01:42:04 AM »
More likely some low-level-feeder at Melwood has spotted the lad on youtube.
It's interesting because Newcastle signed the lad Anita from Ajax for £6.7 million &
Ajax were interested in this Assaidi (but the deal stalled) who we're getting for £2million.
Wonder who's got the better scouts in Holland...

I'm beginning to lose track of the number of players in the squad who remain unknown quantities
between the under-performers from last season & the new recruits. It's going to take a while for things
to settle down...

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2012, 01:02:57 PM »
I have very ambigious feelings regarding the new season and what to expect from it. A part of me says we'll struggle with inconsistency before finally become more balanced and consistent during the second half of the season. Another, that we're in for the best season in years, even decades.

I think we'll finish runner's up or 3rd at worst. I know I'm sticking me head out hee, but I really have this feeling we'll start well and given the fixture list a good start would see us right up there come mid-October when the first phase of "coming together as a team" should near its end. If that happens and we can improve as a team as a club from that point I don't see no reason not to be very optimistic.  Also, they say you make your own luck. And whilst I'm the first red to admit we were extremly unlucky on numerous ocassions last season, Kenny never really had it to turn things around. That somthing I am sure Brendan has, meaning this season will se a lot of draws turn into wins and defeats into at least draws.

I would add to that, that I do think City will walk the title, period. ManU and Chelsea I think will struggle for various and different reasons. ManU primarily because of an injuryplagued defense and below standard midfield and Chelsea because of lack of leadership and structure on and off the pitch.

I'm not expecting us to finish 2nd or 3rd, I just have this feeling everything will fall into place for the first time in over 2 decades. I may be wrong but that's how I genuinely and truly feel.

Bring on the new season!
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2012, 01:11:50 PM »
It's interesting because Newcastle signed the lad Anita from Ajax for £6.7 million &
Ajax were interested in this Assaidi (but the deal stalled) who we're getting for £2million.
Wonder who's got the better scouts in Holland...

I'm beginning to lose track of the number of players in the squad who remain unknown quantities
between the under-performers from last season & the new recruits. It's going to take a while for things
to settle down...

yes, if Assaidi was available for peanuts, then why did the major dutch clubs (ajax, psv, feyenord) not go for him.

heck, maybe there is a simple answer - e.g  that he wanted too much money/wages or duration of contract (or 50 virgins).

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
I have very ambigious feelings regarding the new season and what to expect from it.

I think we'll finish runner's up or 3rd at worst.

I'm not expecting us to finish 2nd or 3rd

sounds like you;re hedging your bets there, Martin!   :)

BTW welcome back to the forum. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2012, 01:18:49 PM »
Cheers for that my friend. I've been in read-mode for most of the summer. Will be here more regurarly from now on.

I just know it's a tad stupid to stick once head out like that and normally I'm the first to advocate low exptectations and time allowed to re-build/structure. It has dawned on me the last couple of weeks tho that given the fixture list it will go either of two ways and I have this feeling it'll fall into place.

Have you seen the same light as me yet? Re Brendan I mean?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 01:22:07 PM by Martinmarx »
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2012, 01:43:49 PM »
yes, if Assaidi was available for peanuts, then why did the major dutch clubs (ajax, psv, feyenord) not go for him.
or Fulham make more of an effort. He strikes me as the type of player we'd normally sign from
Ajax or Fulham for £15million after 1 good season. Anyway, we'll have to wait and see I suppose.

I'm not expecting us to finish 2nd or 3rd, I just have this feeling everything will fall into place for the first time in over 2 decades.
Geez wtf have u been smoking all Summer?  :)

I would think your mate Brendan some sort of genius if he could pull off anything above 4th.
Sure we've got the guts of a good 1st team on its day but with all the chopping and changing,
for him to be able to mould a consistent 38 game streak bearing in mind the slings and arrows
of outrageous fortune that generally befall a football team throughout the season  :o

Tbh, all i wish for is a quiet season with the talking on the pitch and a determined march for 4th +
productive use of the squad giving us a platform to build for the following season.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2012, 04:28:22 PM »
Ajax were in for Assaidi but because they've got major financial problems they couldn't afford his wages, which apparently were £7k a week at Heereveen, and now apparently are £21K.

I hope he proves to be the sort that the lower placed clubs tend to buy before selling on for a 500% profit a season or two later.

If we can start to tap into this market there's a chance we could close the gap if the contribution they bring to the team is more than their individual reputations would suggest. Moyes has always been good at bringing in players who the bigger teams might turn their nose up at and then they prove they are worth much more than their fee would suggest.

Martin, has Brendan given you earache? You'll have to forgive some of us for shouting but we're wearing ear plugs. 
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2012, 08:22:02 PM »
Thankfully we'll soon have some football to moan talk about.  ;D

An away win, a reasonably co-ordinated performance, Rodgers keeping his post match thoughts short and sweet and no injuries. Not really asking for much on the first day of the season, am I.  :D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2012, 10:29:11 PM »
Have you seen the same light as me yet? Re Brendan I mean?

I'm still giving the issue some consideration, Martin.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2012, 11:20:46 AM »
I'm still giving the issue some consideration, Martin.

It's a head hurting experiencing, not to mention having our ears assaulted, day after day.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2012, 01:41:36 PM »
It's a head hurting experiencing, not to mention having our ears assaulted, day after day.

Have faith that it's worth it once you see it.

I think we'll win 2-0 today. They have injuryproblems at the back and I for the first time since Roy Evans the players actually look like enjoying their footy.

Ed, I'm not expecting us to be consistent for yet another 18 months or so. I just have the feeling inspiration, managerial novelty, luck and some good old mental strength may be enough to se us have a one off. EVERYONE says it will take time to get back into the top 4. I'm not that sure it will.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2012, 02:25:24 PM »

I'm not expecting us to finish 2nd or 3rd

I'm not expecting us to be consistent for yet another 18 months or so.

EVERYONE says it will take time to get back into the top 4. I'm not that sure it will.

you've definitely covered all the angles, Martin!

:D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2012, 02:33:42 PM »

I'm considering drinking more alcoholic beverage.

We need a Rab C Nesbitt character amongst the media, at each daily Melwood conference.

i.e. someone who will tell it like it is.   e.g.  responses like, "would yae run that past me again"    or    "Tell yae wan thing - see all this shoutin? It does not half give yae a helluva thirst."   or   "would yae dry your eyes"

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2012, 02:36:59 PM »
I'm considering drinking more alcoholic beverage.

We need a Rab C Nesbitt character amongst the media, at each daily Melwood conference.

i.e. someone who will tell it like it is.   e.g.  responses like, "would yae run that past me again"    or    "Tell yae wan thing - see all this shoutin? It does not half give yae a helluva thirst."   or   "would yae dry your eyes"

That's the best Scottish accent I've ever heard read.  :D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2012, 02:38:56 PM »
you've definitely covered all the angles, Martin!

:D

That was a top bit of quoting Dude, and you did well to keep up with Martin's multiple changes of direction. Damn, even talking about our manager is starting to make my head hurt.