October 14, 2019, 03:25:40 PM

Author Topic: Season 2012-2013  (Read 265488 times)

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2012-2013
« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2012, 03:07:17 PM »
;
 ;D

His insight is based around seeing the best out of everything, telling us 150 what ifs and diluting statistics to paint a picture that never was. I used enjoy the odd article of his but now Ive had enough. Seeing that for years he has written copious amount of articles about how the stats say we are far better than the scoreline or Premier League points totals have suggested and how the future for the team is bright why dont we now take stock and judge whether his statistical genius and bright sided predictions from times gone by have lived up to that golden future he painted time and time again. The answer is No, from a team perspective we are actually worse off than hes ever predicted and we've never got to where he said we would be. The guys a glorified excuse maker whose now employed by the club to make excuses in a long winded, nicely written manner.
Yeah, he's in the business of supporting LFC. Originally, I too used to take
him seriously but it's precisely as you say he's wonderful at concealing the truth behind
positive thinking, optimistic glass half full analysis. I'd much prefer a biiter pill every now
and again than clutching at the tidbits of hope he sells. If my hunch is right, based on

1.) The abject Carling Cup final performance
2.) The utter farce against Newcastle last season
2.) The pathetic 60mins. in the FA cup final

and any number of woeful displays in the second half of last season, then there's a hell of a
lot wrong with current group assembled at the club. Not that you'd know it reading his stuff
where the upswing is constantly around the corner. Hell, it's almost an art form to string a fanbase
along for 38 games a season preying on their hopes and fears (generating hit after hit for the
only statistics he really cares about i.e. page viewing figures).  :)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2012, 05:28:58 PM »
He has one of those 'instantly re-filling' glasses. It's to be hoped someone knocks it on the floor, and soon.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2012, 05:53:52 PM »
Would you believe me if I told you I was once picked as one of five columnists to write for the offal?

:D

woow.

was this selection during the Rafa era, Martin?
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 21, 2012, 05:57:32 PM »
There's nothing I dislike as much as the real-fan-attitude among many LFC-fans. I agree with this. Mine being upset above was more my rejection of granting Brendan condescending nicknames already. Let him at least make a twit of himself before calling him it.

but those of us who are long in the tooth (i.e. old  and having had a lifetime of experience) Martin, have been this way a hundred times.

our boss has already made a t.it of himself. 

he has behaved with arrogance and endless drivel.  And now opposing fans and th emedia are going t ohave endless ammunition to take the pi.ss out of him with    e.g. Bring on Barca, Are You Barca in Disguise?  etc etc.

in case you wondered, this boasting and self-promotion is most definitely NOT what Liverpool was about in our dominant era.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 21, 2012, 06:07:18 PM »
him seriously but it's precisely as you say he's wonderful at concealing the truth behind
positive thinking, optimistic glass half full analysis. I'd much prefer a biiter pill every now
and again than clutching at the tidbits of hope he sells. If my hunch is right, based on

and any number of woeful displays in the second half of last season, then there's a hell of a
lot wrong with current group assembled at the club. Not that you'd know it reading his stuff
where the upswing is constantly around the corner. Hell, it's almost an art form to string a fanbase
along for 38 games a season preying on their hopes and fears (generating hit after hit for the

in life Ed, genuinely intelligent people are efficient with their words, when passing on their message.

Tomkins (whilst I agree with a lot of what he has said in the past) is needlessly long-winded.   He goes on and on and on and on.   After 2 or 3 paragraphs, I walk away.

And as for fan support.  I have been called many times on my support, in loads of forums.  I have been suspended, banned, tarred and feathered and accused of having no parents.

The way I see it, one can create a church (i.e. a forum) and worship the club, and everything about it.  In this scenario, there is really no need for discussion, interaction or debate.  Quiet reflection, chants and prayer, is the order of the day.

Or one can take things less seriously.....and have genuine interaction and debate.    This is my preferred style.

And yes, ok, the humour can take the pi.ss at times.  But respect is something that one earns, it can not be demanded.      Rodgers has achieved nada in the top flight.  There are many bosses like him, who consolidated their club's premiership status in the first season.  I will offer him my respect, when he deserves it. 

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 21, 2012, 06:28:09 PM »
He has one of those 'instantly re-filling' glasses.

Where life is wonderful all the time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ0VMDmGdx0

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 21, 2012, 06:29:42 PM »

woow.

Martin unveiled....Chris Bascombe!!!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 21, 2012, 06:34:45 PM »
Martin unveiled....Chris Bascombe!!!

:D :D :D

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 21, 2012, 06:35:24 PM »

I used to take him seriously too, I also enjoyed his articles in the past. But life can be tough and every once and a while as you suggest its about facing up to the truth no matter how bad it is. Constantly looking at the club through rose tinted glasses doesnt do anyone any favours. Through all of his positivity we're still as far away from the title as ever. If you had subscribed to Tomkins way of thinking then surely you would have expected us to have won the league by now. As you say its most likely about page hits with him or else hes just very deluded.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 21, 2012, 06:39:36 PM »
I will offer him my respect, when he deserves it.

Thats fair comment Dude.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 21, 2012, 06:42:19 PM »
in life Ed, genuinely intelligent people are efficient with their words, when passing on their message.

Tomkins (whilst I agree with a lot of what he has said in the past) is needlessly long-winded.   He goes on and on and on and on.   After 2 or 3 paragraphs, I walk away.
I know the feeling. I think though the majority of the fanbase in Asia & the US just
want to feel good (even if it's complete denial of the obvious).

The way I see it, one can create a church (i.e. a forum) and worship the club, and everything about it.  In this scenario, there is really no need for discussion, interaction or debate.  Quiet reflection, chants and prayer, is the order of the day.
ROFL. Half those forums have more in common with totalitarian regimes than anything to do with the beautiful game.
I take my cues from Shanks & Cloughie and wouldn't be caught dead interacting with the po-faced halfwits that inhabit
those fascist love-ins!  :)

But respect is something that one earns, it can not be demanded.      Rodgers has achieved nada in the top flight.  There are many bosses like him, who consolidated their club's premiership status in the first season.  I will offer him my respect, when he deserves it. 
The Emperor's New Clothes and the Wizard of Oz are timely reminders of the dangers of believing the hype!  :)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 21, 2012, 06:48:14 PM »
ROFL. Half those forums have more in common with totalitarian regimes than anything to do with the beautiful game.
I take my cues from Shanks & Cloughie and wouldn't be caught dead interacting with the po-faced halfwits that inhabit
those fascist love-ins!  :)
The Emperor's New Clothes and the Wizard of Oz are timely reminders of the dangers of believing the hype!  :)

I have been barred  from the two main major forums.

but it is ironic, that a moderator in one of those forums (the biggest) flamed me in usenet, in the liverpool fc forum....and wished me dead, in all sorts of ways.  He did not mind of it was from a drug overdose, car accident, or whatever.  He spelled all these things out in detail.    That was maybe ten years ago.  In modern times, he would have been in a police station and behind bars, for such posts.

That is the type of person that goes on to moderate.  Let's give him his real name - Dave. 

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2012, 07:31:29 PM »

woow.

Noop, during the French Fool's era. Spent a lot of time there in the early years but finally got expelled, the same with RAWK, and the Road End forum. As Ed say, those places have more in common with medieval inquisition than anything related to this game. (Quick reminder I was the happiest red the day we signed Rafa.)

On a more serious note, I think you're harsh on my mate Brenny, dude.  Any manager behaving like Shanks or Sir Bob once did in this media crazy times wouldn't last long. Superseeding Kenny he knew had to communicate his ideas and visions to the fans in a confident manner. He may turn out a beaut but until he does the jury's out as far as I'm concerned.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 22, 2012, 02:20:43 PM »
Noop, during the French Fool's era. Spent a lot of time there in the early years but finally got expelled, the same with RAWK, and the Road End forum. As Ed say, those places have more in common with medieval inquisition than anything related to this game. (Quick reminder I was the happiest red the day we signed Rafa.)

On a more serious note, I think you're harsh on my mate Brenny, dude.  Any manager behaving like Shanks or Sir Bob once did in this media crazy times wouldn't last long. Superseeding Kenny he knew had to communicate his ideas and visions to the fans in a confident manner. He may turn out a beaut but until he does the jury's out as far as I'm concerned.

so you have been banned and barred a fair bit, Martin.

yes, RAWK and YNWA are almost like totalitarian regimes.  Unless you follow the party line and lick the boots of the key people, you will get haranged and bullied out of there.   Meaningful debate is all but impossible. 

As for Brent, one's talking is done ON the pitch.  The lad is easy to see through.  He is a bullsh.itter.  He is promoted way way above his station.

the likes of an aston villa, bolton, west ham or newcastle, would normally be the type of club taking a chance with such a young manager.

the way he is talking, you;d think he had a few league titles under his belt. 

but it goes beyond him.  I think our owners should sell up and leave.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 22, 2012, 06:28:11 PM »
but it goes beyond him.  I think our owners should sell up and leave.

They've two choices - invest in the expertise to run things how they need to be run, with them having merely an overseeing role, or sell to someone who can put in the required expertise.

The problem with American owners, especially those who already have a 'sporting franchise', is that they are used to a system that has a huge element of protectionism, allowing the owners to make money, additionally, movement of players and recruitment doesn't require any financial outlay. A very anti-capitalist system from the Kingdom of capitalism.
Non of the American owners seem prepared for this when they come in and don't seem to have a plan to deal with it going forward.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.