November 11, 2019, 10:08:36 PM

Author Topic: Season 2012-2013  (Read 279975 times)

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2012-2013
« Reply #165 on: August 24, 2012, 05:04:03 PM »
To be honest Im surprised by the anti Liverpool sentiment out there at the moment. There are alot of fans of more neutral clubs that have an opinion on ourselves and our manager now.
http://www.private-eye.co.uk/pictures/strips/premiershits/1321.gif

Classic  ;D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 26, 2012, 08:51:51 AM »
August
18 West Brom (A) 0-3
25 Man City (H)

September
1 Arsenal (H)
15 Sunderland (A)
22 Man Utd (H)
29 Norwich (A)
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 26, 2012, 01:29:19 PM »
August
18 West Brom (A) 0-3
25 Man City (H)

September
1 Arsenal (H)
15 Sunderland (A)
22 Man Utd (H)
29 Norwich (A)

Tough start Dude. Makes it an even tougher second half of the season with big away days.

You would start to get the feeling that with the clever use of the transfer window and the fact Everton have managed to hang on to the likes of Fellani they could be this seasons Newcastle. Its early days but theyve started well.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 26, 2012, 01:49:39 PM »
Daily Mail are claiming that Sterling will start today.

Id be very surprised if it were true considering he played a full game at Hearts. Id also be worried the City defence would cut him in half.

Thing is though hes playing better than any of our senior players. Dilemma time for Rodgers.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 26, 2012, 02:03:06 PM »
Tough start Dude. Makes it an even tougher second half of the season with big away days.

You would start to get the feeling that with the clever use of the transfer window and the fact Everton have managed to hang on to the likes of Fellani they could be this seasons Newcastle. Its early days but theyve started well.

I fear for the club, Juan.

we have so many weaknesses across the club's structure, (owners, chief exec, board members, manager, asst manager, scouts, players) that woeful decisions have been made now for several years. 

there is now terrible pressure on us to get a result today.   And pressure is not a good thing to have on you, when you need to play good football.

my fear is that come the end of September, we will have played six premiership games and have amassed only 3 or 4 points.....and then have a very different battle on our hands (from the one we had planned pre-season).
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 26, 2012, 02:13:48 PM »
Daily Mail are claiming that Sterling will start today.

Id be very surprised if it were true considering he played a full game at Hearts. Id also be worried the City defence would cut him in half.

Thing is though hes playing better than any of our senior players. Dilemma time for Rodgers.
No sense burning the kid out, imo. He has a lot to learn. It was nice to give him a taste against
Hearts and he did very well at a hostile away ground for a 17 year old.

Starting him today lets the genie out of the bottle and cranks up the hype machine too much.
Even if he were to be brilliant, we deny him that space to grow into the role slowly. I mean if
the bar becomes dazzling against the champions, everything else he does this season would
be compared against that.

I'd think it a stupid, short-sighted decision whether he played well or not. It's a long season and
we want this kid to be at another level come May, not burned out at Christmas!

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 26, 2012, 02:19:46 PM »
I hope we give City utter Hell today, bite into them and give them nothing.

Need to watch Kompany & Toure on corners and free kicks!

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 26, 2012, 03:23:07 PM »
Line-ups confirmed Sterling starts. Im delighted to say Coates also starts. Even if he has an absolute howler theres only one way of judging if the Uruguayan is good enough and thats by giving him games. At least Rodgers can see Carras done. Ed I completely agree with your reservations about playing Sterling but in fairness to the lad his performances have put him in contention whereas our more senior players have flopped. The likes of downing need to take a long hard look at themselves.

Liverpool Starting XI : Reina, Kelly, Johnson, Coates, Skrtel, Lucas, Allen, Gerrard, Borini, Suarez, Sterling.
Subs : Jones, Enrique, Carroll, Henderson, Carragher, Shelvey, Downing.

Manchester City Starting XI : Hart; Zabaleta, Kolo Toure, Kompany, Kolarov; De Jong, Yaya Toure; Milner, Tevez, Nasri; Balotelli.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 26, 2012, 03:48:39 PM »
Line-ups confirmed Sterling starts. Im delighted to say Coates also starts. Even if he has an absolute howler theres only one way of judging if the Uruguayan is good enough and thats by giving him games. At least Rodgers can see Carras done. Ed I completely agree with your reservations about playing Sterling but in fairness to the lad his performances have put him in contention whereas our more senior players have flopped. The likes of downing need to take a long hard look at themselves.

Liverpool Starting XI : Reina, Kelly, Johnson, Coates, Skrtel, Lucas, Allen, Gerrard, Borini, Suarez, Sterling.
Subs : Jones, Enrique, Carroll, Henderson, Carragher, Shelvey, Downing.

Manchester City Starting XI : Hart; Zabaleta, Kolo Toure, Kompany, Kolarov; De Jong, Yaya Toure; Milner, Tevez, Nasri; Balotelli.
We'll see, kid'll be tired though methinks!

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 26, 2012, 04:56:50 PM »
So far so good. We started slow, its taken us the best part of 25 minute to get the passing game going but I think we've done well since midway through the first half.

So far Sterling looks like hes taking his chance like a duck to water. As youve said Ed he has to be managed but with our current squad and with his showing so far it will be impossible not to use him more. Hes done more than Henderson and downing combined in the last year.

Again early days but Allen looks like a quality signing. His simple passing and ability to keep the ball are impressive.

A good half but we have to keep it up.

One point about Suarez, he is very indecisive in and around the box with the ball. He sometimes doesnt really know what hes going to do next which often means the opportunity comes to nothing. I wish at times instead of trying to turn the defender inside out 10 times he just sticks a boot through it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 04:58:37 PM by Juan »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 26, 2012, 06:26:20 PM »
Improved performance from last week though Rodgers has a lot of work on the defence ahead of him. I hope we're not going to see the return of the old Martin Skrtel.

Great to see Rodgers having faith in the younger lads. Judging by his selections and substitutions Rodgers has the same opinion of Kenny's transfer business as we do.

We still need a goalscorer if possible. So far I'm still thinking that the best we can hope for is to qualify for the EL through the league, but even that would be progress from the last two seasons.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 26, 2012, 06:47:27 PM »
Improved performance from last week though Rodgers has a lot of work on the defence ahead of him. I hope we're not going to see the return of the old Martin Skrtel.

Great to see Rodgers having faith in the younger lads. Judging by his selections and substitutions Rodgers has the same opinion of Kenny's transfer business as we do.

We still need a goalscorer if possible. So far I'm still thinking that the best we can hope for is to qualify for the EL through the league, but even that would be progress from the last two seasons.

I looked at the bench before the game to see Downing, Carroll and Henderson and thought - what a weak bench!
To think we spent the bones of 70 million on it. What you could buy with that money now. Its not worth thinking about.

As for the defence its really a pity because up to that I thought they played very well. Skrtel was having a huge game. But thats just him. Granted its not usually that blatant but there is always the possibility for him to do something unpredictable.  I said it in another thread he gifts a goal scoring opportunity to the opposition nearly every game.

Coates had his moments but all in all I thought he did well too. Theres no need to revert back to Carragher in Aggers absence.

Sterling is a start in the making, he puts players like Downing and Henderson to shame, he plays with no fear and the maturity youd expect from the two Ive mentioned.

All in all a good performance from the team and imho a solid start from Rodgers tactically. Hopefully upwards on onwards from here.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 26, 2012, 07:11:06 PM »
much much better.

team played very impressively.

depressing however to gift the champions their point, after two dreadful defensive errors.

it came to kelly at a very awkward height......but really, at this level, he should be doing a lot better.

And Skitrail's was even worse, unforgivable hair-brained passback from 40 yards, not even looking up.  FFS we have gifted City back into the game ONCE, FFS be more careful next time.   But nope, barmy defending, barmy pass back.

overall impressive performance.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 26, 2012, 08:51:11 PM »
much much better.

team played very impressively.

depressing however to gift the champions their point, after two dreadful defensive errors.

it came to kelly at a very awkward height......but really, at this level, he should be doing a lot better.

And Skitrail's was even worse, unforgivable hair-brained passback from 40 yards, not even looking up.  FFS we have gifted City back into the game ONCE, FFS be more careful next time.   But nope, barmy defending, barmy pass back.

overall impressive performance.

I have Reina at fault for the first. His contact should have been much firmer. Good to see having played Carra on Thursday, Rodgers put his trust in Coates, who considering their attacking quality, handled himself well, especially when you factor in his lack of PL experience. As Juan said the second half of the season is going to have a run of three massively tough games, we need to make sure we take advantage of the good situation we put ourselves in today, twice.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.