November 20, 2019, 10:26:57 PM

Author Topic: Season 2012-2013  (Read 282795 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2012-2013
« Reply #210 on: August 29, 2012, 05:58:49 PM »
unsure why rodgers has to tell the world that he wants to try downing at left back.....only puts additional pressure on the lad.   Actions/experiments often do not need any words.

In this case I dont mind Rodgers having his say. Downings had more than his fair share of chances and nothing seems to have worked, hes still rubbish. By right he should be shown the door.

carra is out of contract in summer....yehaaaaaa.

the 35 year old will either be opening a pub, or moving down to likes of darlington, to be player manager.

Not a minute too soon. Great servant to the club but in a lot of ways hes prohibited progress at the back in terms of the type of football we tried to play and by being chosen for games that other players should have played in. Managers seemed compelled to pick him.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 29, 2012, 06:18:35 PM »
Puke!

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/tomkins-be-bold-be-brave

Two games in and he just can't help himself. It's a bit unfair, any fans out there 
being negative after 2 games are dubbed lunatics but surreally positive is fine...
The only bit i liked in the article was the 5 words he devoted to Henderson (who i
see as a bit of a dark horse and am hoping BR is doing a job on him by not playing
him so that the weight of the shirt feels lighter when he creeps back into the side
later in the season)

I'm not jumping to any conclusions and just watching the games. It seems a lot of
fans just can't help themselves by jumping on to a wave of optimism. We were
supposed to be under the radar this season, no talking and just roaring the team on.
Besides we've got f**k all to crow about, trashed by West Brom away from home &
threw away 2 points in our home game.

I'm not being over negative (ok, i am  :) ) here but City's first goal was a direct result of
a certain 17 year old letting Tevez in with a cross. I don't blame the kid at all but in the rush
to gush, it shouldn't be forgotten that getting a 1-0 would have been something to
genuinely be pleased with (3 points + a clean sheet).

Agreed Ed, two games in and it almost feels like its back to the old "this could be our year" talk.

If we weigh it up we have had one abysmal performance in the league and one very promising game. We've seen the team up their game for the bigger sides on many an occasion in the past. Whether we can repeat that sort of performance against Arsenal on Sunday we dont know yet. If after ten games into the season we have put in 7 or 8 performance akin to the City game then things might start looking up for the future of this team but until such a time that we have shown some sort of consistency whats the point in building ourselves up.

The thing is though whether we win or lose the next 10 games Tomkins articles will still be equally positive.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 29, 2012, 06:30:47 PM »
It'll be interesting to see how Rodgers integrates Sahin into the team.  Will he be played with Gerrard or will he be a direct replacement? Will he push Gerrard out to the right wing as Rafa did to incorporate Sahin? 

I have absolutely no idea about the loan signing as I've not seen him play but I understand he is a central midfield player.  Will he be able to contribute and bring a new dimension to the team?

Thoughts anyone?

I wonder will there be enough room for himself and Allen considering both are deemed pass masters.

Its hard to expect big things from Sahin given the hype but like you I havent seen much of the guy.  I get the impression that Mourihno may be sending him on loan to gain experience in the hope that next season he could take over Alonsos role considering he hasnt signed a new deal.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 29, 2012, 07:52:42 PM »
In this case I dont mind Rodgers having his say. Downings had more than his fair share of chances and nothing seems to have worked, hes still rubbish. By right he should be shown the door.
We'll see, seems completely unintuitive to me to put a lad who can't tackle and would have little positional
sense or pace at left back. I just don't get it. Call me old-fashioned but a wing back who can't block crosses
is just useless, imo (that's why i love seeing young Kelly in the side, blocks 'em crosses, Johnson has a bit
more class and is more assured and comfortable on the ball but i'm a fan of cutting out crosses).

Not a minute too soon. Great servant to the club but in a lot of ways hes prohibited progress at the back in terms of the type of football we tried to play and by being chosen for games that other players should have played in. Managers seemed compelled to pick him.
Never gave us an option on a corner too, the way i expect Coates to do.

Agreed Ed, two games in and it almost feels like its back to the old "this could be our year" talk.
I know. It drives me nuts! I read somewhere Chelsea had brought in £80 million of talent over
the Summer  :o We need to be consistently picking up points and refining our style of play to
get ourselves in a position where we can secure 6th and then think about 5th and 4th. Arsenal
at the weekend would represent a nice 3 points and i seriously hope we do it (payback for last
season!) but it's not as if Swansea are going to win the league on the back of two wins so game
at a time and Hearts up next.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 29, 2012, 09:34:06 PM »
unsure why rodgers has to tell the world that he wants to try downing at left back

Exactly. With the media headlines about him 'saving his LFC career' the spotlight is on him every time he's played there, rather than it being more low key and put down to the manager 'tinkering' or just 'trying something'. Either way Downing isn't the subject, but rather the manager will bear any attention or reaction there 'may' be to it. 
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 29, 2012, 09:39:18 PM »
Great, it's already started: http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/342770

From the same article: "I don't like to just give up on players. I always look to look at different ways you can play them."

That's not entirely true. What's the 'different way' Carroll's been used in or given a chance in. It just 'feels' like where Carroll's concerned the manager has a 'blind spot'.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 29, 2012, 10:11:45 PM »
Great, it's already started: http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/342770

From the same article: "I don't like to just give up on players. I always look to look at different ways you can play them."

That's not entirely true. What's the 'different way' Carroll's been used in or given a chance in. It just 'feels' like where Carroll's concerned the manager has a 'blind spot'.
LOL, Setting Downing up to fail, imo, as well.

FFS, he was a perfectly decent winger before he joined us and is too old to be learning
new tricks. Either do a job on him to help him rediscover his form or ship him out.

I noted as well in the press conference following the City game, that he couldn't help himself
taking the credit for Sterling and the 6 or 7 weeks tactical work he had put in with him. I
would have taken note of his error leading up to the first goal and held off on the self-congratulatory
BS.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 30, 2012, 01:14:10 AM »
Seems an incredible public airing of club business to me? wtf?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-news-andy-carroll-1286207

“I don’t think we are in a position to have £35m players as third-choice strikers, or wingers who are on £5m-£6m a year. This is the challenge I have,” he revealed.

“You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to see Andy Carroll has been a cover player for us.

“Some players here, even though you want to move them on, because of wages and other factors they are not going to just walk out the door. It’s going to take time to build that.”

“It’s great if some big players, like Theo Walcott and Daniel Sturridge, want to come here, but the reality is we are not in a position to do that at this stage,” he explained.

“The players being linked for the money mentioned I don’t have the ability to sign in this window unless we sell - if the money was raised, then yes we could do a deal.”

“I respect players and I’m precise with my information so they know where they stand. We all come into the profession knowing what the job is,” he said.

“Some of the development players may become starters. If you fit outside that I will tell you. Then it’s up to the player.†Does the player want to play football?

“There is still some thinking time. For some players it is hard to walk away from here. It’s an exciting time to be here. The ones who want to play will go, others will want to stay and fight.”

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 30, 2012, 03:50:07 AM »

agreed.

way too much political influence has our Jamie.

he was finished 2 or 3 seasons ago, at this level.

for some reason, he has managed to avoid being put out to grass.

wouldn;t surprise me if rodgers makes him a coach next summer.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 30, 2012, 01:07:43 PM »
for some reason, he has managed to avoid being put out to grass.

Purslow was the reason. Giving him a 3 years deal at his age. No manager would be able to sell him, as no club would take on his wages and I doubt Carra would have any interest in a move. Still no need to play him, but then we can't afford to take on another centre half whilst still paying Carra to be book end.

Joe Cole, another inspired signing by Purselow.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 30, 2012, 08:50:52 PM »
Purslow was the reason. Giving him a 3 years deal at his age. No manager would be able to sell him, as no club would take on his wages and I doubt Carra would have any interest in a move. Still no need to play him, but then we can't afford to take on another centre half whilst still paying Carra to be book end.

Joe Cole, another inspired signing by Purselow.

yes, Purslow made many feck-ups on the football side of things.

carragher should never have got another deal......or at most, a one year contract.

and as for joe cole......what a joke.  Joe wouldn't make my 5 a side team.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 30, 2012, 11:08:51 PM »
We need to get Xavi Valero or  Jose Ochotorena,  preferably Valero and hopefully he'll bring the old Pepe Reina back with him.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 31, 2012, 12:22:40 AM »
We need to get Xavi Valero or  Jose Ochotorena,  preferably Valero and hopefully he'll bring the old Pepe Reina back with him.

you;re a great speller, Tes.  I wish that I had your memory for names and spellings.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 31, 2012, 08:11:32 AM »
I must admit I didn't see the whole game. In fact just the last 15 part from bits and pieces here and there. It was enough to to have me say Allen is the best signing for Liverpool in a very long time.

Other than that we're still learning and adapting to this new style, some players more than others (Carra constantly hoofing it won't get that many games in the League). Gerrard wasteful as ever. There is a movement and urgency about us tho I haven't seen in God knows how long. If we can keep buildning on it we'll come good eventually. I also thought last nite's game once and for all proved Suarez isn't and never will be an out and out goalscorer. Instead of killing the tie of from one of his many open chances it almost cost us an energydraining extratime. Something we did well to avoid ahead of Sunday's game. Suarez should never be played in the center again. He misses chances and doesn't create many for his teammates in that position so why persist?

I'm glad we're through but other than that we need to step things up a notch or 3 ahead of Sunday.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 31, 2012, 08:11:52 PM »
I'm glad we're through but other than that we need to step things up a notch or 3 ahead of Sunday.

Surely not. I thought all was rosy. Martin, you sound less than convinced or have you been given special dipensation to naysay Brendan's handling of the team. If so, can any of us apply?  :D