October 16, 2019, 03:44:42 PM

Author Topic: Season 2012-2013  (Read 266524 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2012-2013
« Reply #240 on: September 01, 2012, 07:42:56 PM »
oh he does look like someone of good potential, gurdeep.

but some posters need to keep their feet on the ground.  The lad has played a mere two league games, and played well in one of those

for them to suggest that he is our best signing in years, is way over the top.  Far too early to make such a kneejerk conclusion.

Remember Reira against the Mancs? That turned out well. Cautious optimism is the way forward methinks.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 01, 2012, 07:48:26 PM »
exactly, cautious optimism.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 01, 2012, 07:49:49 PM »
I am just unclear how you can come to the grand conclusion that (after 2 league games) he is the best player that the club has bought in many a long year.

For the mere reason he delievered more hope, quality and effort in those two games than the combined signings since 2010 did between them?

Agreed Suarez should be played to the left. We need to get the pressure off him. It's obvious he cracks under pressure so why persist playing him through the center. Play Borini in the center til injured o January. What's there to lose really. As for the right we're thin so there's a lot of room for trying and trying again. Given our disastrous transfer window I can't see any option but to retreat to the borefest of 4-5-1.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 01, 2012, 07:52:56 PM »
For the mere reason he delivered more hope, quality and effort in those two games than the combined signings since 2010 did between them?

bloddy ell......he sounds like maradona.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 01, 2012, 08:47:36 PM »

Yeah, if you look at him and then Downing, Henderson, Carroll etc. you'd be forgiven for thinking he's the second coming.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 01, 2012, 09:37:36 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA983t3Rdzs

Oooppsss, I misread the name, but the song's apt for us at the moment.  :D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 09:40:35 PM by Tes »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 01, 2012, 09:56:41 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA983t3Rdzs

Oooppsss, I misread the name, but the song's apt for us at the moment.  :D

:D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 01, 2012, 09:58:49 PM »
Yeah, if you look at him and then Downing, Henderson, Carroll etc. you'd be forgiven for thinking he's the second coming.

ah, so you have now downgraded allen, to now being merely better than downing, henderson and carroll.

that's more like it.

still nowhere near the class of maxi, kuyt or merless, as yet (if ever)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 02, 2012, 12:45:44 AM »
The options for our front '3' appear to be:

Suarez
Borini
Sterling
Morgan
Assaidi
Yasil

Maybe Gerrard on the right.

Make what you can of that.  :(

Forgot Pacheco as his loan didn't go through.

8 players potentially for 3 positions. Numbers plenty - Quality 2

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 02, 2012, 01:03:56 AM »
Forgot Pacheco as his loan didn't go through.

8 players potentially for 3 positions. Numbers plenty - Quality 2

Quality is one thing.

Having the managers trust is another because I dont believe there is many of those players that the manager rates well as a front 3 anyway.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 02, 2012, 03:01:36 AM »
what about gerrard on the right side of the spear attack formation (is he good enough for such an attacking role?)

+++++++++++++++ Borini+++++++++++++++

++++++Suarez+++++++++++++Gerrard++++++

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 02, 2012, 03:34:27 AM »
Can't say I agreed with paying £15 million for him. But tbf i was
very impressed with his first interview, seemed quite humble.

Regards his performances, he's comfortable on the ball, seems to have a
cool head and is accurate in his passing and not likely to give the ball away.

Saw him take a nasty challenge against Hearts in his stride.

He's aware of defensive duties, i wouldn't consider him the best tackler but he
does get stuck in and can win back possession. He's a little short and slight though,
so he may be out-muscled and won't win big headers in the hole in front of the
back 4. That'd be my fear that despite his best efforts, a big lad would just steam roll
through him. Positionally, i haven't seen enough of his defensive work.

All in all he seems ok to me, but i'd have preferred to have had Lucas alongside him
for the first 3 months to take care of the really important defensive work. Given that
he's been thrown in there and is doing his best, more power to him!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 02, 2012, 12:19:40 PM »
Quality is one thing.

Having the managers trust is another because I dont believe there is many of those players that the manager rates well as a front 3 anyway.

With the issue of trust I'd say that Pacheco is the obvious one, but I don't understand why he's forced Borini and especially Morgan to play wide right instead of down the middle. Suarez's postion would be better starting on the left, his Ajax position, so that Morgan especially and Borini (as his movement and positioning when getting in the box has looked more like that of a central striker) start centrally, then there's Sterling, Assaidi
and even Pacheco to play on the right. The left footers cutting in and right footers going down the outside providing a different angled delivery into the box or can indeed cut in themselves and the angle of any pass or through ball will again come from a different angle than the left footer (advantages and disadvantages to either a left or right footer playing on the right).

Rodgers will have to work with what he's got, but he has got three players for the central position (Borini, Yasil
and Morgan) and four for the wide positions (Sterling, Suarez, Assaidi and Pacheco), and he can mix up left and right footers on the left and right sides.
Gerrard additionally could play wide right and even in a setup where he starts up top centrally but moves across the whole front line with one of the wide players dropping in centrally or even an attacking midfielder being the furthest player forward centrally. In Dalglish's caretaker period Suarez, Dirk and Maxi all interchanged with no one player being the main central striker.
He will have to trust the young lads, but Sterling seems to have benefited from time on the pitch, as I think they all would.
Strongest team possible every league game, trying to build continuity there and then rotate and rest certain players in the cups, but use players he sees as still being here in 3 seasons time (all being well) in the EL to give them the European experience they need, then the FA and League Cups as he sees fit and depending on fitness and availibilty.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 02, 2012, 12:59:45 PM »
With the issue of trust I'd say that Pacheco is the obvious one, but I don't understand why he's forced Borini and especially Morgan to play wide right instead of down the middle. Suarez's postion would be better starting on the left, his Ajax position, so that Morgan especially and Borini (as his movement and positioning when getting in the box has looked more like that of a central striker) start centrally, then there's Sterling, Assaidi
and even Pacheco to play on the right.

Very much agreed re Suarez Tes. Im not sure why he has to be the central player of the 3. I think Suarez is crying out for someone to take the goal scoring burden off his shoulders. If we could get one of the other forwards scoring regularly I think you will see Suarez score far more regularly. For Uruguay he has Cavani easing the pressure and hes always on the score sheet.

Interesting to see that we dont even have a replacement striker on the bench today. Looks like a good starting line up but crucially weak up front on the bench as such.

Liverpool: Reina, Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique, Allen, Sahin, Gerrard, Sterling, Borini, Suarez. Subs: Jones, Carragher, Shelvey, Downing, Henderson, Kelly, Coates.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 02, 2012, 02:21:42 PM »
Shocking 47 minutes. Only Allen and Sterling try. Rodgers need to take Suarez off. He's a waste of space and need to stop his fornicating antics of waving his arms and constantly giving the ball away. Same with Gerrard. Worthless and responsible for their first. I haven't seen such a p**s poor Arsenal side since Wenger took over and they outplay us completely. I am appalled!