October 16, 2019, 03:22:13 PM

Author Topic: Season 2012-2013  (Read 266481 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2012-2013
« Reply #255 on: September 02, 2012, 02:33:46 PM »
Very much agreed re Suarez Tes. Im not sure why he has to be the central player of the 3. I think Suarez is crying out for someone to take the goal scoring burden off his shoulders. If we could get one of the other forwards scoring regularly I think you will see Suarez score far more regularly. For Uruguay he has Cavani easing the pressure and hes always on the score sheet.

Interesting to see that we dont even have a replacement striker on the bench today. Looks like a good starting line up but crucially weak up front on the bench as such.

Liverpool: Reina, Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique, Allen, Sahin, Gerrard, Sterling, Borini, Suarez. Subs: Jones, Carragher, Shelvey, Downing, Henderson, Kelly, Coates.

I'm presuming that Assaidi is somehow unfit. But where's Morgan, and why Carragher when there's Coates?

Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 02, 2012, 02:58:55 PM »
So our only method of defending is to keep the ball. Therefore, having said that, why so careless with our passing and retention of the ball?

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 02, 2012, 03:33:11 PM »
Gutted, heartbroken and totally depressed. Whatever I said in pre-season this season's gonna be a total nightmare. Top half would be an achievement. Thanks to the amateurish management of this club we'll be happy if we score 40 goals this season. Totally pissed off with Suarez who more and more seem extremly overrated. His unforced error ratio was the worst I've seen in years.

Worst of all is we never looked up for it, no urgency, no will, no ideas. Fair enough we managed to create 3-4 chances the last 10 but it was too late. + Reina seems to make a howler every game. Worlclass goalie? Not anymore.

Sterling continue to impress. Allen totally outstanding. What a brilliant player he is. Again our MoTM by a country mile. No positives to take from this game. We have absolutely no goalscorer in this squad so this could be a total disaster.

The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 02, 2012, 03:40:52 PM »
Xavi Valero needs to be brought back NOW. No excuses, just get it done.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 02, 2012, 04:16:42 PM »

So we need to strengthen at both ends of the pitch? I would agree with that.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 02, 2012, 04:19:18 PM »
So we need to strengthen at both ends of the pitch? I would agree with that.

If we can't score then it's even more important we don't concede. Also Valero gives the strikers some help.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 02, 2012, 04:20:37 PM »
So our only method of defending is to keep the ball. Therefore, having said that, why so careless with our passing and retention of the ball?

What a farce.

That was arguably our best team on paper out there. We flopped.

Whats worrying is there is little or nothing that can be done to improve it. Last season at least when we shouted at the likes of Downings inept performances we could call for Bellamy to replace him. When Maxi came off the bench he scored a goal or two.

I wasnt expecting a whole lot from this season but I still find myself majorly disappointed already.

Its hard to disagree with what Dude said in an earlier post, this club is on the verge of being done as a top side.

Sunderland away next, I see nothing to suggest why we will get anything out of that. If we get an injury during the international break or if anyone needs to be rested we automatically have to field a weakened side.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 02, 2012, 04:29:43 PM »

Horrendous mistake from Reina. You could forgive him if its a one off but his form is now alarmingly inconsistent. If its Valero we need to get Reinas form back to what it was then we need to get it done and get him in. I fear its more than that.

If I were a player of quality I would be afraid that a move to Liverpool could have the same effect on my form that its had for the likes of Suarez. He looks no better than having any run of the mill premier league striker up front. Its sad to see what his form has been reduced to because hes not looking like the same striker we signed. Imho the pressure on his shoulders to score goal is too much for him. There is nobody in the team that will help take that pressure away.

Ive said it before and its ridiculous but this club feels cursed.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 04:31:08 PM by Juan »

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 02, 2012, 04:55:17 PM »
Horrendous mistake from Reina. You could forgive him if its a one off but his form is now alarmingly inconsistent. If its Valero we need to get Reinas form back to what it was then we need to get it done and get him in. I fear its more than that.

If I were a player of quality I would be afraid that a move to Liverpool could have the same effect on my form that its had for the likes of Suarez. He looks no better than having any run of the mill premier league striker up front. Its sad to see what his form has been reduced to because hes not looking like the same striker we signed. Imho the pressure on his shoulders to score goal is too much for him. There is nobody in the team that will help take that pressure away.

Ive said it before and its ridiculous but this club feels cursed.

Depressing words but nevertheless they smack of truth. There's no consistency on any level at this club and there hasn't been for a very long time. My Manc mate is trying to understand what's happening to us but I am lost for words. How we managed to fail to get a striker in is bordering on negligence. As you say Juan, there's nowhere to look for improvement. I also think that without a strong centerforward 4-3-3 is the wrong formation fo this squad. As the lack of goals in this squad is so alarming we'll spent most of the season to avoid relegation. I know it may sound overdramatic but I really really see us struggle to win more than 10 games this season.  That means we need to draw as many games as possible relying on a strong defence.

I don't see a way out of this than to sit it out and hope we can restructure the club over the next 5 years. I feel sorry for Brendan as he'll never get a fair chance to prove his worth at this club. He must feel badly sodomized.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 02, 2012, 05:52:45 PM »
And to see the mancs come back from being down 2-1 to win 3-2 somewhat luckily in the last 5 minutes.....  :'(

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 02, 2012, 05:59:39 PM »
We were awful.

We will struggle to reach the top 10 and I honestly mean this. The clubs that finished ahead of us last season have all improved their squads, have better depth and can rotate their strikers.

Then there are the likes of QPR, Swansea, Sunderland, Fulham and Stoke who have improved their squads and will be aiming to over take us.

We are so screwed big time.

Next set of fixtures are:-

Sunderland away - likely defeat
man u home - likely defeat
Norwich away - probable draw
Stome home - probable draw
Reading home - probable win
Everton away - likely defeat
Newcastle home - likely draw or defeat
Chelsea away - likely defeat

We are fucked. Where can you see wins coming from?

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 02, 2012, 06:05:37 PM »
We were awful.

We will struggle to reach the top 10 and I honestly mean this. The clubs that finished ahead of us last season have all improved their squads, have better depth and can rotate their strikers.

Then there are the likes of QPR, Swansea, Sunderland, Fulham and Stoke who have improved their squads and will be aiming to over take us.

We are so screwed big time.

Next set of fixtures are:-

Sunderland away - likely defeat
man u home - likely defeat
Norwich away - probable draw
Stome home - probable draw
Reading home - probable win
Everton away - likely defeat
Newcastle home - likely draw or defeat
Chelsea away - likely defeat

Absolutely nowhere, that's why Reina's lack of form is so alarming as it'll soon start to effect the back four negatively. Agree we'll struggle to finish in the top half this season Ed mate.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 02, 2012, 06:18:20 PM »
The idea Rodgers has is absolutely right (Tactic wise) but it needs a whole lot of time for them to get used to it.

At moments you feel there is an idea of all those passing triangles but at the same time we don't really have all the right players for it plus it will take a long time for the players to absorb it.

We need a machine in the midfield and neither Allen-Gerrard or Sahin will provide that. I am thinking along the likes of M'Vila - that sort of player so that the likes of Lucas, Allen and Sahin can do their thing.

I loved Sterling's energy, and i think Borini /Suarez should have switched places.. Ironic this formation actually needs a player like Andy Carroll - i.e. a player who can receive the ball/head.. Suarez looked completely lost in the middle of the attacking trio ..he is way better coming from the wings were Borini was playing.

Also good showing by Borini who worked his ass off trailing back to help Johnson.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 02, 2012, 06:29:21 PM »
The idea Rodgers has is absolutely right (Tactic wise) but it needs a whole lot of time for them to get used to it.

At moments you feel there is an idea of all those passing triangles but at the same time we don't really have all the right players for it plus it will take a long time for the players to absorb it.

We need a machine in the midfield and neither Allen-Gerrard or Sahin will provide that. I am thinking along the likes of M'Vila - that sort of player so that the likes of Lucas, Allen and Sahin can do their thing.

I loved Sterling's energy, and i think Borini /Suarez should have switched places.. Ironic this formation actually needs a player like Andy Carroll - i.e. a player who can receive the ball/head.. Suarez looked completely lost in the middle of the attacking trio ..he is way better coming from the wings were Borini was playing.

Also good showing by Borini who worked his ass off trailing back to help Johnson.

Spot on analysis Ed. True Borini worked really well defensively but I also noted on many ocassions he was further down the pitch than both Sahin and Johnson which is a problem when we retrieve the ball.

Other than that I agree it's obvious Suarez shouldn't be played in the center so here's hoping Brendan realise this as well.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 02, 2012, 06:39:51 PM »
C'mon, we expected this or at least it was a strong possibility i.e. a poor start.

It requires a bit of leadership, that's all. Tighten up at the back, bed in the new signings
and come up with a creative solution for scoring goals and not conceding any.

Less convincing, imo, is this statement from BR:

"What has happened has happened, we'll reflect on it as a club and hopefully come January
and the next window we can transition the group that allows us to compete."

Very poor choice of words after 3 games and 5 signings.