October 16, 2019, 03:59:20 PM

Author Topic: Season 2012-2013  (Read 266557 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2012-2013
« Reply #300 on: September 03, 2012, 01:44:42 PM »
Rafa lost it and I'm glad he's gone. On more than one ocassion he put his own ego before the club's interest and you could argue his Fergie rant cost us our best shot at the titel. Hell yes, I'm glad he's gone.

His team played static, predictable and one-dimensional football the last 2 years he was in charge. You could tell the players didn't enjoy their footy and I thought were just as far away from anything resembling the "Liverpool way" as we were under Houllier.

I found Rafa mediocre at best in the transer market. Didn't catch you on that final sentence???

bloddy ell, you are now ranting that Houllier's Liverpool played the "Liverpool Way".  Do you watch much football.  Do you have a clue about anything related to football or Liverpool FC.

but you know what Martin, it's not even a subjective related issue, when we do comparisons.

instead, I can objectively say, that Liverpool FC got to two CL finals under Rafa, winning one of them.....and regularly qualified for the CL each year....won an FA Cup Final, a Charity Shield, a Super Cup, and took Liverpool to number one ranked club in Europe......and all on a net budget averaging some 17 million quid per season (and at a time of chaotic owners in charge).

Benitez has a win percentage of 52% (and he has been pitted against Spain and England's top teams).  Rodgers has a win record of a mere 41 percent (and he has been pitted against the darlingtons, readings, charltons and millwalls of this world)

tell me again, what your lad, Rodgers, has achieved in the game.

I'll answer my own question.  Brendan Rodgers has won a grand total of a poxy old second division play-off title against Reading, one sunny day at Wembley.

Really, mate, if this was a boxing match, your corner would have thrown in the towel in the first round.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 01:45:45 PM by the dude abides »
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 03, 2012, 01:47:25 PM »
Maxi, Kuyt, Carroll and Bellamy out; four attacking players gone and only two — the relatively unknown Fabio Borini and the yet to be seen Oussama Assaidi — to replace them.

well played brendan and ian.  Rocket scientists, the pair of ye.   Have ye been in the football industry long?

Maxi wanted to go back to his first club Newells Old Boys for a long time now and was granted HIS wish. Bellamy WANTED to go back to Cardiff to be nearer his family. We did not let those two go. They both wanted to go back home and we granted their wish.

Kuyt was past his best for us. I have no issue in selling him at all.

Carroll, well I wanted us to keep him alas we didn't get a replacement which has screwed us.

Alas I like you post and your spin.............However it isn't how you said it was.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 03, 2012, 02:04:34 PM »
bloddy ell, you are now ranting that Houllier's Liverpool played the "Liverpool Way".  Do you watch much football.  Do you have a clue about anything related to football or Liverpool FC.

but you know what Martin, it's not even a subjective related issue, when we do comparisons.

instead, I can objectively say, that Liverpool FC got to two CL finals under Rafa, winning one of them.....and regularly qualified for the CL each year....won an FA Cup Final, a Charity Shield, a Super Cup, and took Liverpool to number one ranked club in Europe......and all on a net budget averaging some 17 million quid per season (and at a time of chaotic owners in charge).

Benitez has a win percentage of 52% (and he has been pitted against Spain and England's top teams).  Rodgers has a win record of a mere 41 percent (and he has been pitted against the darlingtons, readings, charltons and millwalls of this world)

tell me again, what your lad, Rodgers, has achieved in the game.

I'll answer my own question.  Brendan Rodgers has won a grand total of a poxy old second division play-off title against Reading, one sunny day at Wembley.

Really, mate, if this was a boxing match, your corner would have thrown in the towel in the first round.

;D Now he answer his own questions. There's a word for that.

Seriously mate, your analysis don't hold for any scrutiny. Back then it was, really, the big 4. Very little competetion from teams 5-10. Not that that stopped us from finishing behind our lovely neighbours  the same year we won the CL. I think that goes a long way to show he was willing to sacrifice the league for Europe. A theme that runs through his reign at Anfield. I remember us beating ManU at home then playing a virtually meaningless game in Europe where he started our strongest XI only to see lose well and truly away at Stoke with a weakened side a few days later rendering the win over the mancs virtually meaningless. That was Rafa the tinker for you.

It is all and well winning the odd Cup or even the CL. But any team can have a good cup run. Ffs, even Fulham made it all the way to the final. Does that mean you rate Roy as manager?

You can harp on about your track records and winning percentages all you like mate. The fact of the matter is Rafa got both time and resources to build a title winning side and he failed. The first 2 and half seasons looked good then we stagnated and even declined the last 2 years.

Oh, and don't give me that net budget argument. I says next to nothing. You could sell Ronaldo for 20 million and sign Hibbert for 25 and your net spend stops at a mere fiver. Instead his number of tranfsers during his time in charge is a much more interesting and telling statistic. That statistic alone goes a long way to show he never understood how to assemble a team fit for the PL.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 02:09:40 PM by Martinmarx »
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 03, 2012, 02:12:13 PM »
again, despite pi.ssing all over benitez,   you continually refuse to tell me what your lad rodgers has achieved in the game.

feck all, would be the answer  (doing my best Father Jack impersonation)

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 03, 2012, 02:45:36 PM »
Maxi, Kuyt, Carroll and Bellamy out;

If cash was short and the wage bill needed trimming, apart from Bellamy who wanted to go for family reasons, then at least the first two should not have been on list 1. Maxi may have felt he wanted to go home but that is probably more down to a lack of game time. I may be uninformed but I've not heard any family reasons in his case.
Some will say Dirk was past it, but he seems to be finding the net OK this season, and it was never his pace that was one of his qualities. There really is no sensible reason, if the context of our club's situation is remembered, to have let him go so lightly, and that £1M ain't gonna sort our goal situation.

There were 8-15 players that could leave and we wouldn't notice, as we didn't really notice when they were on the pitch (if they even got that far).

Deal with them first. If you can't get rid of them all, then you've done what you can. Don't even draw up list two this Summer. That gets drawn up during the next 12 months when you've put out feelers to potential replacements.

Whichever way, you have to balance squad, strength, quality with reducing the wage bill and bringing in transfer funds.   
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 02:51:03 PM by Tes »
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 03, 2012, 02:58:16 PM »
There were 8-15 players that could leave and we wouldn't notice, as we didn't really notice when they were on the pitch (if they even got that far).

Deal with them first.

exactly, Tes.

but to me it sounds like our owners asked to see a list of who our highest paid players were, and which could be offloaded easily.

why the likes of cole was ever recruited baffles me.......why don't we get rid of that type of player (who will never contribute).  OK< I know, no other club is insane enough to take on his wages.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 03, 2012, 07:31:09 PM »
why the likes of cole was ever recruited baffles me.......why don't we get rid of that type of player (who will never contribute).  OK< I know, no other club is insane enough to take on his wages.

The only one who has the answer to the first part is Purslow, as for the second part, you covered it nicely yourself, Dude.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 04, 2012, 08:21:30 PM »
so Jason McAteer reckons bridges have been burnt.

can;t help but remember trigger and barnes managing tranmere.  Two blokes that couldn;t manage a pi.ss-up in a brewery.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 04, 2012, 10:05:24 PM »
trigger and barnes managing tranmere. 

Comedy gold. The BBC comedy script writers of the 70s would have been proud of that.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 04, 2012, 10:24:53 PM »
Comedy gold. The BBC comedy script writers of the 70s would have been proud of that.

:D    a mix of some mothers do have em, rising damp and porridge.

Trigger now works in the media with Asia-based ESPN Star Sports.

I imagine the punditry at ESPN Star Sports is not up to much (to put it mildly).

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 04, 2012, 11:47:25 PM »
:D    a mix of some mothers do have em, rising damp and porridge.

With McAteer taking his lead from the hapless conductor 'Blakey' from 'On the buses'.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 05, 2012, 01:12:05 PM »
With McAteer taking his lead from the hapless conductor 'Blakey' from 'On the buses'.

;D

good call, McAteer/Trigger is Blakey from On the Buses.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 05, 2012, 02:29:36 PM »
There's the story of when McAteer filled in his passport application or visa application when he first got to the club. Under 'position in company' he put 'right midfield'.

I wonder how he describes himself now.  :D

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 05, 2012, 04:35:09 PM »
Just looking at Fletcher's goal for Sunderland against Swansea.

Arises from an attempt to back pass to the keeper that goes horribly wrong
(I just think it's incredible how this appears to be a feature of BR systems)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtb752MQnZc

Anyway, something we should be wary of when we play them (It's almost as
if playing Swansea is a mock up for playing us).