October 21, 2019, 09:31:58 PM

Author Topic: Season 2012-2013  (Read 270499 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2012-2013
« Reply #315 on: September 05, 2012, 08:21:49 PM »
Just looking at Fletcher's goal for Sunderland against Swansea.

Arises from an attempt to back pass to the keeper that goes horribly wrong
(I just think it's incredible how this appears to be a feature of BR systems)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtb752MQnZc

Anyway, something we should be wary of when we play them (It's almost as
if playing Swansea is a mock up for playing us).

Ashley Williams, the player we were linked with to replace Agger.

What is becoming clear is the fault in the system appears to be to keep hold of the ball at all costs. Sometimes you have to give away a throw, allowing yourselves to re-group and set yourself defensively. Then you give yourself a more secure platform from which to re-gain possession. It's like Wenger's way of taking possession for the sake of possession to the nth degree, passing for the sake of passing.
Of course if you have the ball you are defending to a degree, as if the opposition does have it they can't score, but there's nothing clever or technical about that. Even Homer Simpson could figure that out for himself.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 05, 2012, 08:30:27 PM »
yes, football-wise, this is kindergarten stuff.   There is a time and a place for everything.  Sometimes, one needs to put their foot through the ball and clear it.  One doesn't play triangles, and one-twos, in and around one's penalty box.

Rodgers has sold the naive yanks a pup. 

I was hoping he would get all the resources that he needed (funds), in order that folks would see through him quickly.

Sadly, Rodgers now has the excuse of not having the resources, thus he has his excuses already queued up.

We may be stuck with this bloke for at least two seasons.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 05, 2012, 09:19:40 PM »
Sadly, Rodgers now has the excuse of not having the resources, thus he has his excuses already queued up.
But sure the whole reason we hired him is because he works on zero budget?

I was hoping he would get all the resources that he needed (funds), in order that folks would see through him quickly.
I disagree, i think he has the perfect situation now to show what a brilliant manager he is.

Sure most every manager of the 92 clubs in the different divisions has a sob story about how
they were robbed of the perfect conditions to achieve greatness. What separates good managers
from average ones is consistently getting results in spite of the circumstances.

FFS, tighten up at the back, keep possession in midfield, put away your chances. As the great man would
say himself, it's not rocket science!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 05, 2012, 10:00:40 PM »
But sure the whole reason we hired him is because he works on zero budget?
I disagree, i think he has the perfect situation now to show what a brilliant manager he is.

Sure most every manager of the 92 clubs in the different divisions has a sob story about how
they were robbed of the perfect conditions to achieve greatness. What separates good managers
from average ones is consistently getting results in spite of the circumstances.

FFS, tighten up at the back, keep possession in midfield, put away your chances. As the great man would
say himself, it's not rocket science!

money does not talk in english football, it shouts.

just look at the money spent/premiership placing ratio tables for the premiership.   

I can only shake my head in utter desperation when I think of how Rafa could have spent the 100 million quid, that Dalglish squandered last summer.

We could have brought in 5 or 6 of Spain's finest technical players, for that money.  Half a team.

We were bad before, financially.  With Dalglish, he really has ruined us financially on the pitch.

Rodgers was never gonna work on a zero budget.  Even Harry Redknapp could not work under such conditions.

But rather than get the big headed mouth out earlier, we will now (with the budget excuse to work with), have to put up with him for longer than necessary.

Mind you, things could come to a head as quickly as the end of this month.  Next up, in the premiership, we are away to Sunderland......and then home to Man Utd.  I suspect that we will pick up very little from those games. 

On the 26th we are away to WBA in the league cup, and then we are away to Norwich in the premiership, on the 29th of September.  I suspect the game at Norwich is going to be a massive game for Brendan Rodgers.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 05, 2012, 10:18:42 PM »
But rather than get the big headed mouth out earlier, we will now (with the budget excuse to work with), have to put up with him for longer than necessary.

Mind you, things could come to a head as quickly as the end of this month.  Next up, in the premiership, we are away to Sunderland......and then home to Man Utd.  I suspect that we will pick up very little from those games. 

On the 26th we are away to WBA in the league cup, and then we are away to Norwich in the premiership, on the 29th of September.  I suspect the game at Norwich is going to be a massive game for Brendan Rodgers.
But sure he can't be sacked Dude?

Think about it?

It's virtually impossible.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 05, 2012, 10:47:09 PM »
But sure he can't be sacked Dude?

Think about it?

It's virtually impossible.

why do you see it as virtually impossible, Ed?

FSG are not gonna let a 400 million investment (300 to buy, 100 in last summer transfers) freefall into the Championship.

if we are sitting in the bottom 4 or 5, come Christmas, you will see Rodgers facing the boot.  And the fans will not be fobbed off with spin and yarns from rodgers or the owners.   Fans will demand proper senior executives in place at Anfield.  They will demand a proper well-respected, experienced, senior manager in the dugout....someone fitting of the Liverpool job.

I said it several times in here, during the close season, I reckon that Rodgers could be even worse than Hodgson or Dalglish.

I at least imagined he would make Anfield a fortress.  But he would be found out on our travels.

But I am now fast reconsidering that prediction......and now suspect that he will be found out at Anfield too.

He has no tactics.  There is no balance.  There is no plan b, nevermind a plan c or d.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 05, 2012, 11:08:21 PM »
why do you see it as virtually impossible, Ed?
Ok it's not impossible, just very unlikely then  :)

C'mon, we saw their retarded search for a manager over the Summer.
These are the same guys. Would you trust them to appoint another manager
given their track record?

Costs a fortune to change manager and the new guy would want to tear it all up
and start again. Maybe we could get a loan manager 'til the end of the season  ;D

WTF would want the gig? What self respecting manager (Rodgers obviously  :) ) would
work with a bunch of interfering business wonks??

That's the off the top of my head reasons (I mean are we going to get another sniveling
letter from Henry Ford at Christmas full of crap about winning with a p.s. we've shown
Brendan the door and appointed Colin f*cking Pascoe as Gaffer....he's decided to paint the
nets at Anfield yellow, success is on the way!!  :) )

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 06, 2012, 04:05:42 AM »
whether we trust them, or whether they are any good at picking another manager, is besides the point.

if Liverpool are sitting near the bottom of the league, they will be forced into action......both to protect their investment, and also because the fans will force their hand.  We saw that with Hodgson. 

Rodgers was not a popular choice.  And thus the fanbase will be quick to draw conclusions this season.    This stupid notion, from FSG and Rodgers himself, that the manager will be given years to rebuild, is a load of rubbish.   He will be judged, rightly or wrongly, in the opening months of this season.  Depending on how badly he flounders, he will, or will not, be allowed to stay in the job til the end of the season. 

As for compensation, a couple of points.  He is a young boss, so they will have hired him on corresponding wages (fairly low).  Thus compensation will be minimal, I would imagine.  And secondly, compensation will be the least of FSG's worries, if they are faced with the notion of championship football (and the financial realities of that).

Liverpool, right now, are not playing mid-table football.  They are playing bottom eight football.

An experienced mature manager can often turn things around.  A young inexperienced manager will often flounder when faced with a bad run of results. 

When I saw our fixture list in the close season, I worried about the run of games we had in the opening 3 months.  If we got into a rut early on, as we have done, things could quickly escalate from bad to much worse.  We need a couple of premiership victories.  But I cannot, across September, see where they are gonna come from.  We will have to go to places like Sunderland and Norwich and get results.  I think the September 29th game at Carrow Road may take on major importance.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 06, 2012, 11:46:30 AM »
An experienced mature manager can often turn things around.  A young inexperienced manager will often flounder when faced with a bad run of results. 

Spurs can be used as an example and will probably reinforce the point even more.

Ramos - Rednapp - AVB.

The turn around under Rednapp in the first two seasons was meteoric, after the PL inexperienced Ramos floundered, coincidenty with Comolli as his DoF (it's a whole new argument but FSG should have looked at Spurs with and without Comolli as DoF).

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 06, 2012, 01:15:31 PM »
Spurs can be used as an example and will probably reinforce the point even more.

Ramos - Rednapp - AVB.

The turn around under Rednapp in the first two seasons was meteoric, after the PL inexperienced Ramos floundered, coincidenty with Comolli as his DoF (it's a whole new argument but FSG should have looked at Spurs with and without Comolli as DoF).

good examples.

I have seen it time and time again, over the years.  The inexperienced manager is fine, as long as results are running smoothly.   But when things go south, and he has a bad run of results, such a manager is then found out.  He often cannot arrest the bad run of results.  He has no answers.

Good point re the Director of Football thingie at Spurs.    I have no time for that role.  And anytime I ever come across it at a British club, I know that the owners of said club have not got the foggiest notion about football.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 06, 2012, 06:24:31 PM »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 06, 2012, 06:27:37 PM »
Second for Yesil. Great finish from an acute angle. His movement looks good, as does his work rate.

We have our goalscorer.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 06:30:59 PM by Tes »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 06, 2012, 06:31:40 PM »
England getting tonked. 3-1.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 16, 2012, 06:37:30 PM »
Some more signs of strength but also of weakness against Sunderland. Played well in the second half and really should have come from behind and won...it's a work in progress and personally would like to see Suso come on for Borini as sub rather than downing...
Sunderland away is always a tough game and thought we did pretty well considered...

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 16, 2012, 07:40:30 PM »
Couldn't see the game live so recorded it on my already full hard-drive. Was well miffed to realise that I could only see the opening 15 minutes - out goes all the children's movies - revenge!!! 8)

Awrite, had to rely on my manc-mate to get some feedback on the game. He said we played very well throughout the game but struggled heavily to penetrate the last third.

I just have a feeling it'll be a while before things start to click for us. From the few minutes I was able to see I really thought there's something new to our game and I like that. I also think we conceded another poor goal.

As it is I'll be in Ingurland on October 25 and 26. How small a chance do I stand to get my hands on a ticket for the Derby at Goodison on the 27th? 0.6 %?
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.