October 14, 2019, 03:03:48 PM

Author Topic: Season 2012-2013  (Read 265482 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2012-2013
« Reply #345 on: September 19, 2012, 11:45:34 AM »
Here's one measure for you mate: Our peformance, bar individual mistakes, against Man C. You're negative beyond belief my friend. Could you please repeat the record of your hero when he took over Valencia. A Valencia side that subsequently went on to play some of the best footy I've ever seen.

No one's happy with our current position but to think a decade long misuse of this great club would be fixed over night is not just naive, it borders on ignorance.

And your comments on Allen really doesn't favor you man. You're about the only person I came across having that opinon.

we have made our worst start to a season since 1911, and you complain that I am being overly negative.

ironic that Martin complains about people being negative.   

and why do you keep blaming the past.  I thought Rodgers was the solution.

you say that our Man City performance is one measure where we excelled.  But didn;t Southampton put in a helluva performance the week before against City, and yet most likely, Southampton will get relegated come May time.  Performance without results is a waste of time.

And when asked  a simple question, as to the role of Allen, you are stumped.  He is a central midfielder, we can agree on that.....well, is he an attacking or defensive central midfielder?  This is not a trick question. 

And is Borini anything more than a mid-table level striker?

And why is Suarez not being told to pass the ball more, instead of wasting so many chances?

And why does our manager keep outlining all his inner thoughts to the media every day?   

These are simple questions. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 19, 2012, 05:04:25 PM »
you say that our Man City performance is one measure where we excelled.  But didn;t Southampton put in a helluva performance the week before against City, and yet most likely, Southampton will get relegated come May time.  Performance without results is a waste of time.
Have to agree with that, patting ourselves on the back for throwing away 2 points at home was
never the Liverpool way be it against the champions or a newly promoted team.

The performance against Sunderland wasn't as great as is being made out either, imo, & we saw
far clearer cut chances being created under Kenny early last season.

He is a central midfielder, we can agree on that.....well, is he an attacking or defensive central midfielder?  This is not a trick question. 
He's not out and out attacking as such, that was more Sigurdsson. He's also not a defensive holding type and is only
covering for Lucas at the moment in the holding role. My understanding is that he plays further up the pitch than
he is at the moment. I'd label him primarily as a passer, can pass it 'til the cows come home anywhere on the pitch.
He's comfortable on the ball, wants to be on the ball instigating moves, supporting the play type of guy. Tbh, he's
done well since he came in, here's hoping he gets better and better (needs to muscle up though!).

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 19, 2012, 06:05:14 PM »
we have made our worst start to a season since 1911, and you complain that I am being overly negative.

ironic that Martin complains about people being negative.   

and why do you keep blaming the past.  I thought Rodgers was the solution.

And when asked  a simple question, as to the role of Allen, you are stumped.  He is a central midfielder, we can agree on that.....well, is he an attacking or defensive central midfielder?  This is not a trick question. 

And is Borini anything more than a mid-table level striker?

And why is Suarez not being told to pass the ball more, instead of wasting so many chances?

And why does our manager keep outlining all his inner thoughts to the media every day?   

These are simple questions.

I'll do my best to answer your simple questions.

Re Allen. I'm not sure he's either/or. I think it was obvious to most of us that Brenny planned to play Lucas in the defensive role with Allen/Gerrard/Sahin interchangably in front of him in a 3 men center midfield. Is that good enough. Or did you have in mind his mind-set? Is he a Hamann or an Aimar type of player? I'd go with the latter if I must chose.

Re. Borini. He's played 8 games for th club. I couldn't possibly have enough information to either write him off or label him quality, nor could you.

Re. Suarez. I don't know. Maybe he's been told. Maybe it's a cultural thingy for all I know.

Re. Brendan. Well he's a talker. That's how it is. It may not be everybody's cup of tea but it isn't the end of the world either.

Other than that I am not blaming the past. I'm just concluding this club's been poorly run at almost every level for a decade. That's a fact. You harp on about Brendan and his CV when the fact of the matter is that many of our problems reside further up the food chain and are of structural character rather than individual.

So, back to my question. How did Rafa fare during his first 4 leaguegames as manager for Valencia? How thick was Rafa's CV before taking the helm at the Mestalla? It's just tedious to read your negative crap on the back of less than a handful of games. Can't you see that?
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 19, 2012, 06:22:12 PM »
Not sure yet mate. I'm particpating in an informal workshop with the EU-Commission's Expert Group on Cross-Border Health Care and it's hosted by NHS. So a qualified guess would be London but it isn't confirmed yet, nor is the dates.

Well I live in Cambridge which is 45mins to london via train, so if you are in London then let me know if you fancy meeting up and having a few jars somewhere in London!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 19, 2012, 08:42:15 PM »
Have to agree with that, patting ourselves on the back for throwing away 2 points at home was
never the Liverpool way be it against the champions or a newly promoted team.

The performance against Sunderland wasn't as great as is being made out either, imo, & we saw
far clearer cut chances being created under Kenny early last season.
He's not out and out attacking as such, that was more Sigurdsson. He's also not a defensive holding type and is only
covering for Lucas at the moment in the holding role. My understanding is that he plays further up the pitch than
he is at the moment. I'd label him primarily as a passer, can pass it 'til the cows come home anywhere on the pitch.
He's comfortable on the ball, wants to be on the ball instigating moves, supporting the play type of guy. Tbh, he's
done well since he came in, here's hoping he gets better and better (needs to muscle up though!).

Ed, I wrote a big long detailed reply, this afternoon, which was lost when I hit send.

I really do wish that Jim would increase the time duration of the sign-in cookies, and stop this type of thing from happening so often.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 19, 2012, 08:52:30 PM »
Ed, I wrote a big long detailed reply, this afternoon, which was lost when I hit send.

I really do wish that Jim would increase the time duration of the sign-in cookies, and stop this type of thing from happening so often.
Hate when that happens!

Here's a link to an i/v with Rafa on his book:

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2012/09/interview-rafael-benitez/

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 20, 2012, 10:44:24 AM »
Assaidi will add new dimension to Liverpool FC attacking play, says Brendan Rodgers

by James Pearce, Sep 20 2012

BRENDAN RODGERS believes Oussama Assaidi will add a new dimension to Liverpool’s attacking play.

The Morocco international, who was snapped up from Heerenveen for £3million last month, will make his debut in tonight’s Europa League game with Young Boys in Bern.

The Reds boss is excited about the prospect of finally seeing the left winger take his bow.

“Assaidi has had a few weeks to adapt and now he’s ready to play,” said Rodgers.

“It was difficult for him because he was injured for a bit and then he wasn’t eligible for the games against Hearts. But he has settled in well and this will be his first opportunity.

“He’s an exciting player – someone who can take people on. He gets crosses in and has got an end product.

“That’s important because I like players at the top end of the field who have that invention, fight and ability to score goals.

“He’s good on one v ones and is a technical player who is strong and uses his body well.

“I’m looking forward to seeing him play against Young Boys and seeing how he adapts to playing inthis
team.”

Rodgers also confirmed that Brad Jones will start in goal tonight with Peter Gulacsi on the bench after Pepe Reina remained at Melwood.

“Brad will play and he deserves it,” Rodgers added. “He has been first class. He’s not had a look in but he’s come in every day and worked well.”
[/i]

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/09/20/100252-31871428/

I'm sure Roy thinks he's invented a new technique of playing football. Get us back to playing the way we did in Dalglish's caretaker period, or the way (swift passing, constant movement in support of the man with the ball, closing down instantly and high up the pitch etc) the way Valencia played under Benitez, and we'll be fine, or a Plan B where we draw the opposition onto us then counter attack with pace (though we still lack so much of it in the squad) and swift forward passing (non of this passing for the sake of passing or keeping possession) or a Plan C where we attack down the flanks, doubling wide forward and full back up, whilst getting plenty of players in and around the box, working positions from the goaline but within the penalty area for 'pullbacks' as opposed to putting the ball in the box from deep or near the goaline but outside the area. 
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 20, 2012, 02:07:16 PM »
Well I live in Cambridge which is 45mins to london via train, so if you are in London then let me know if you fancy meeting up and having a few jars somewhere in London!

Ed mate, that would really be great. However, it'll be a lunch to lunch workshop with probable (as in mandatory) dinner on the 25th. If I can get hold of a ticket for the derby I'll prolly take the train to Liverpool on Friday night so it may turn out difficult to se up a tet á tet.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 20, 2012, 06:19:30 PM »
Ed mate, that would really be great. However, it'll be a lunch to lunch workshop with probable (as in mandatory) dinner on the 25th. If I can get hold of a ticket for the derby I'll prolly take the train to Liverpool on Friday night so it may turn out difficult to se up a tet á tet.

Well in the event you do not get a ticket then let me know of your plans!

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 20, 2012, 06:46:37 PM »
Well, Wisdom has a wise head....

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 20, 2012, 07:04:37 PM »

Here's a link to an i/v with Rafa on his book:

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2012/09/interview-rafael-benitez/

many thanks for that link, Ed.

wonderful interview.

and you can hear the awe and respect (that they hold for Rafa) from those top journalists (Tony Evans, Rory Smith, etc).

when Rafa speaks, people of intelligence, listen.

my fear, for the past 5 or so years, has been that a club like Man Utd or Man City, will appoint him as their boss.

He's a relatively young man, with many great years in front of him.  It is scary what his ability, allied with transfer riches, could do for a competitor.

If I were United, he would be Ferguson's successor.

And since Liverpool have treated him like sh.ite, we can not complain if he should make such a switch.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 21, 2012, 12:47:10 PM »
Well in the event you do not get a ticket then let me know of your plans!

I most certainly will!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 22, 2012, 09:29:52 PM »
If I were United, he would be Ferguson's successor.

I'd like to see Moyes get that gig. I think he's paid his dues and deserves a 'big club' opportunity, plus I want to see what he can do with more than just the spare change he and Kenwright find down the backs of their collective sofas.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 23, 2012, 12:38:28 AM »
I'd like to see Moyes get that gig. I think he's paid his dues and deserves a 'big club' opportunity, plus I want to see what he can do with more than just the spare change he and Kenwright find down the backs of their collective sofas.

yes, David Moyes deserves a top job at some point.

Pound for point, I do not think anyone in Britain comes close to the managerial performance of David Moyes, these past ten years at Everton.  He works on a shoestring, every year, with no margin for error.  And every year, he pulls it off. 

Now whether he can step up and replicate his success (for that is what it is at everton), on a higher stage, who knows.  It is not an easy task, taking hold of the reins of a top club that demands top trophies, year in, year out.  But he definitely deserves the opportunity.   

I have always been impressed by Moyes, both as a football manager, and as a human being.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 23, 2012, 02:18:49 PM »
I think Shelvey needs to leave the wild tackling behind in pre-season.
There were a couple I saw that weren't dissimilar to what got ivanovic
red yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slYUuMxMISA

Just waiting to happen, imo. I'll be pissed if it costs us against the big teams at
the start of the season  :(
Jesus....i had a hunch that was going to happen  :'(