October 23, 2019, 04:24:45 PM

Author Topic: Season 2012-2013  (Read 271624 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2012-2013
« Reply #375 on: September 23, 2012, 04:33:51 PM »
from the first few games of this season, I keep thinking of Forest's relegation season - and the mantra, that with the football they were playing, they were "too good to go down"

we are highly unbalanced, and poorly set up in defence, midfield and attack.  I can envisage the poorest season unfolding in front of us, in the months ahead.  I see us as being bottom eight material.

Now, as is often the case, teams start to perform better as the season progresses (the likes of everton and arsenal are typically always slow starters).  I just hope we can develop better understandings and push on.  Fingers crossed (or else it is gonna be a long hard season).

Dude, it's what I don't understand with Rodgers. Why press on regardless trying to change the system so dramatically, when we don't have the players, especially upfront to do so. Considering the squad he had left when the window shut, he should have delayed the 'transformation' or at least the rate of it. Concentrate on keeping what we had (overall a good defence), and just introduce aspects that reinforced that, as goals were likely to be even more scarce than last season. Then as transfer windows (hopefully) allow and as the make up of the squad changes the system can evolve with it.
It's probably down to inexperience and the desire to create an impression that managers change things too quickly.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 23, 2012, 04:44:50 PM »
The long term benefits of doing the transition now outweighs the short term. For the past decade we keep think short term and in the end its cost us. The transition has to happen sooner rather than later. It will take time to implement, so we need to implement it now.

Oh and Dude do me a favour saying we may be do forest. If you think we will finish below Reading, Wigan, Southampton, Norwich, Aston Villa, Swansea, West Ham, West Brom or Fulham then you need your head testing.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 23, 2012, 04:49:52 PM »
Dude, it's what I don't understand with Rodgers. Why press on regardless trying to change the system so dramatically, when we don't have the players, especially upfront to do so. Considering the squad he had left when the window shut, he should have delayed the 'transformation' or at least the rate of it. Concentrate on keeping what we had (overall a good defence), and just introduce aspects that reinforced that, as goals were likely to be even more scarce than last season. Then as transfer windows (hopefully) allow and as the make up of the squad changes the system can evolve with it.
It's probably down to inexperience and the desire to create an impression that managers change things too quickly.

yes, a mature manager would have built on what we had, instead of such major change.

of course Rodgers has already got his excuses prepared.  Within a fortnight of his appointment, he was telling the world that he himself may not be around long enough to see his changes come to fruition.

ok, tell you what Brendan, we'll keep half your salary back, until we finally see the results.

that way, you are not spinning us yarns about things that will never happen.,
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 23, 2012, 04:55:08 PM »
Oh and Dude do me a favour saying we may be do forest. If you think we will finish below Reading, Wigan, Southampton, Norwich, Aston Villa, Swansea, West Ham, West Brom or Fulham then you need your head testing.

do me a favour and shut the feck up.

if Rafa had had Liverpool's worst start in over a century, you'd be kicking him all around Anfield.

but here you are, telling us it will all come good.

well, you wanted rid of Rafa, and now you have what you want.

you (and Martin) have made your bed and you're gonna have to lie in it.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 23, 2012, 05:06:41 PM »

if Rafa had had Liverpool's worst start in over a century, you'd be kicking him all around Anfield.

I'm delighted with Rodgers because our performance levels and football in 5 games has been better in 38 games under Dalglish.

I like my bed so when lying in it I will sleep at night very easily thanks.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 23, 2012, 05:10:39 PM »
I'm delighted with Rodgers because our performance levels and football in 5 games has been better in 38 games under Dalglish.

I like my bed so when lying in it I will sleep at night very easily thanks.

maybe the premiership authorities will start awarding points for performance.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 05:12:41 PM by the dude abides »

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 23, 2012, 05:24:44 PM »
maybe the premiership authorities will start awarding points for performance.

I'll judge in the long term thanks rather than think we'll do a forest......

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 23, 2012, 05:32:09 PM »
I'll judge in the long term thanks rather than think we'll do a forest......

will you judge him in the same way you judged Rafa?

will finishing, say in seventh spot in the premiership see you want Rodgers fired?

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 23, 2012, 05:45:20 PM »

here's another angle for the Shelvey sending off.

looks like the United man is more to blame than shelvey.

all in all, the ref had a stinker today.

the FA need to have a look at his performance.
Straight red for Shelvey, he's going through the player with
studs up, Evans isn't.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/gif-jonjo-shelveys-brutal-tackle-on-jonny-evans-liverpool-v-manchester-united/

It's reckless?

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 23, 2012, 06:48:49 PM »
Our lack of goals means I don't share your sentiment about going unbeaten until mid february. We have Everton away end of October. We have Chelsea and Spurs and Newcastle at home in November. In December we have West Ham, Stoke and QPR away. In January we have Man U and Arsenal away. Our lack of goals means that I can't see us getting many wins or draws away from during that period.

The goals will come sooner rather than later mate. A team that play this well is bound to get luck on their side. Just look at Spurs against Rangers. With that kind of luck we'd won 6-2 today.

Against City the ball bounce off Kelly to the only City player in the area, after 6 minutes today it just passes Gerrard. With a little bit of luck we'd been up 2-0 at half-time it's just that this goal-drought mantra seems to have have become a self-fullfilling prophecy. Again, I can see us go on a very very long unbeaten run from here on. The hard luck we had thus far will even out.

Extremly proud of the team and its effort! :)
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 23, 2012, 06:55:11 PM »

Having a very good nights' sleep at that. You're so bitter and negative it's almost hilarious. You harp on about how long you followed the game. Still you're unable see we play better than we have since Rafa's first two seasons before his narcisisstic ego took over? I'm slowly starting to think winning no. 19 would leave your disappointed.  Under Rafa we were boring, one-dimensional, predictable, clueless, unimaginative what have you. Thank fukc his balanced crap is gone. At least we'll never have to watch this crap again:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t00D23R63ig

What we saw today was the future and in my modest opinion it looks bright.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 07:00:28 PM by Martinmarx »
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 23, 2012, 06:59:31 PM »
from the first few games of this season, I keep thinking of Forest's relegation season - and the mantra, that with the football they were playing, they were "too good to go down"

we are highly unbalanced, and poorly set up in defence, midfield and attack.  I can envisage the poorest season unfolding in front of us, in the months ahead.  I see us as being bottom eight material.

Now, as is often the case, teams start to perform better as the season progresses (the likes of everton and arsenal are typically always slow starters).  I just hope we can develop better understandings and push on.  Fingers crossed (or else it is gonna be a long hard season).

The problem for us is that goals win you games. We dont have a consistent amount of goals amongst us. At one point in the first half we had 65% of the possession. Thats no good if you cant score. Suarez isnt a reliable goal scorer.

Aside from todays good performance I actually think we are in trouble. Maybe not relegation trouble but we are going to struggle to make mid table as a result of there being nobody in the team to score.

Its not Rodgers fault, there was never the funds there to buy a 25 goal a season player but where he might take some criticism is for not looking harder at Evertons Mirallis or Demba Ba for the matter. 6 or 7 million on either of them and our season could have a different look to it.

I dont think we will have to worry about not having a recognised striker on the bench much longer though. Today proved Borini is not a wide player. Either start him down the middle or leave him on the bench. Hes wasted where hes played.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 23, 2012, 07:12:30 PM »
will you judge him in the same way you judged Rafa?

will finishing, say in seventh spot in the premiership see you want Rodgers fired?

This season isn't about where we finish in the table, that isn't my primary concern. My primary concern is that for once we can build a vision and a strategy that can last and that we can see progress of Brendan implementing his ideals onto the squad. As long as we complete with the rest of the top 7 then for this season I am more than willing to forsake the short term and the losses which come with that for a long term build in which Rodgers can build the squad and implement the ideals he wants to see us play.

So my answer is no in terms of league placing this season i will not judge Rodgers. As long as I see progress in the way Rodgers wants us to play then I'll be happy this season. If for example we don't see progress in terms of Rodgers implementing his ideals onto the squad and we are floundering in the league, then that is another question.

Alas so far we have seen progress in terms of us controlling the game and keeping the ball more.  But there is a long way to go and it won't be complete imo for another 2 years possibly 3 years. I believe the implementation will be complete by them and I for one will settle for that because Rodgers is right he may be  gone once we reap what he will sow for us because this implementation and ideals Rodgers has will last us for the a long time and may out live Rodgers time at Liverpool. He was right to say that.

The key is to see signs of progress I see it and I am a patient man. There will be many more lows believe me until we see Rodgers plan come to fruition.

But we have to start somewhere. We cannot keep having short term strategies as it does not work........unless you are a multi billionaire.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 23, 2012, 07:26:52 PM »
Not only is he a man with a clear philosophy on the game but also couragous with a belief in talent. A man down against United at half time and he brings Suso on! Before that chucks Sterling and Coates in against City. How can you not like a manager like that?

Showing faith in Sterling and Suso is a far cry from the man who picked the useless Joe Cole ahead of them at West Brom. Or playing it safe by playing the more experienced Downing ahead of Sterling in the big games.

Seems to learn fast and he'll need to in this job.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 07:29:12 PM by Edward224 »

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 23, 2012, 07:28:43 PM »
This season isn't about where we finish in the table, that isn't my primary concern.
Seriously that's the most ridiculous statement I've read on this forum in ages.

What the f.uck are you on about??

If we finish 18th, 19th or 20th we get relegated.

Spare me the crap that you have some deep knowledge about how our fortunes
will evolve over the next few years, you know as little as the next person. It's LFC
IT MATTERS WHERE WE FINISH IN THE LEAGUE.