November 11, 2019, 11:16:05 PM

Author Topic: Season 2012-2013  (Read 279992 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2012-2013
« Reply #390 on: September 23, 2012, 07:35:36 PM »
You're so bitter and negative it's almost hilarious.

you're unable see we play better than we have since Rafa's first two seasons before his narcisisstic ego took over?

Under Rafa we were boring, one-dimensional, predictable, clueless, unimaginative what have you. Thank fukc his balanced crap is gone.

you wouldn't recognise good football if it were being played in your back garden.

success is all about balance.

I don't know why I waste good earth-time trying to argue the basics with you.

there is nothing worse than an arrogant ignoramus.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 23, 2012, 07:36:05 PM »
Seriously that's the most ridiculous statement I've read on this forum in ages.

What the f.uck are you on about??

If we finish 18th, 19th or 20th we get relegated.

Spare me the crap that you have some deep knowledge about how our fortunes
will evolve over the next few years, you know as little as the next person. It's LFC
IT MATTERS WHERE WE FINISH IN THE LEAGUE.

Well if you want to sacrifice long term vision and strategy and stick to short termism then that is your prerogative. Me I am willing to sacrifice the short term failures for the long term vision and I have belief in Brendan that he can do it.

I never said I had any deep knowledge over our fortunes over the next few years but that is exactly my point. By implementing a long term vision and ideals onto the squad we can then have something to point to and something to gear towards.

5th, 6th, 7th etc really it doesn't matter. We won't finish top 4 and we won't go down. So we have the opportunity to build something great.

That is my primary concern. Results will take care of itself once we have taken every measure to succeed in the long term.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 23, 2012, 07:43:24 PM »
The problem for us is that goals win you games. We dont have a consistent amount of goals amongst us. At one point in the first half we had 65% of the possession. Thats no good if you cant score. Suarez isnt a reliable goal scorer.

Aside from todays good performance I actually think we are in trouble. Maybe not relegation trouble but we are going to struggle to make mid table as a result of there being nobody in the team to score.

Its not Rodgers fault, there was never the funds there to buy a 25 goal a season player but where he might take some criticism is for not looking harder at Evertons Mirallis or Demba Ba for the matter. 6 or 7 million on either of them and our season could have a different look to it.

I dont think we will have to worry about not having a recognised striker on the bench much longer though. Today proved Borini is not a wide player. Either start him down the middle or leave him on the bench. Hes wasted where hes played.

we have been saying it for ages, Juan......Suarez may be world class at creating chances, but he is rubbish at converting them.  When you do not take your chances, and are leaking goals at the back, you are always gonna struggle to draw or win games.

like you, I fear for us this season.  We are not playing mid-table football.  We are playing bottom eight level football.  Now, as we get more used to each other, we may well do better.  But we are mid-table at best.   

I fear, and I said this several times in the close season, that with the fixtures we have, that we could well find ourselves in a premiership dogfight mess by Christmas. 

As well as having no clear goalscorers at the club, we have a half-baked midfield, and a struggling defence.

And we have a manager who has no plan b.......and I do fear that other managers have already figured him out.

This is gonna be a long depressing season.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 23, 2012, 07:46:14 PM »
Not only is he a man with a clear philosophy on the game but also couragous with a belief in talent.

apart from the notion of passing the ball to each other, what is his philosophy?

Seems to learn fast and he'll need to in this job.

if he's learning fast, why have we got off to our worst league start in well over a century?

and why did he let Carroll leave, when we had no other recognised goal scorer?

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 23, 2012, 07:51:02 PM »
Well if you want to sacrifice long term vision and strategy and stick to short termism then that is your prerogative. Me I am willing to sacrifice the short term failures for the long term vision and I have belief in Brendan that he can do it.
Here we go.

It's LFC and it matters where we finish in the the table. Fine, if you want to have
some lofty position on matters but please don't tell me that it's the Liverpool football
club that Bill Shankly built if it doesn't matter where we finish in the table. It does.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 23, 2012, 08:02:08 PM »
anyone who doubts that we are in a very serious run of form, needs to look at the data.

if we look at our premiership results across this year to date, 2012, we have:

Played - 24,  Won – 5,  Drawn – 5,  Lost – 14

Averaged across a 38 game season, that is equivalent to 31 points.

That is most definitely RELEGATION FORM.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 23, 2012, 08:12:53 PM »
Watch Fergie grinning at the end of this:

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/jonjo-shelvey-accuses-sir-alex-ferguson-thats-your-fault-after-sending-off-liverpool-manchester-united/

I thought JonJo was reckless, and I've said it before, but I dearly love
the boy for having a pop at SAF.

I don't buy into any of what Fergie says about our club. It's a worry for me
that we don't have a fierce competitor and serial winner in charge of the club
at the moment. A big worry.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 23, 2012, 08:19:57 PM »
This season isn't about where we finish in the table, that isn't my primary concern. My primary concern is that for once we can build a vision and a strategy that can last and that we can see progress of Brendan implementing his ideals onto the squad. As long as we complete with the rest of the top 7 then for this season I am more than willing to forsake the short term and the losses which come with that for a long term build in which Rodgers can build the squad and implement the ideals he wants to see us play.

So my answer is no in terms of league placing this season i will not judge Rodgers. As long as I see progress in the way Rodgers wants us to play then I'll be happy this season. If for example we don't see progress in terms of Rodgers implementing his ideals onto the squad and we are floundering in the league, then that is another question.

Alas so far we have seen progress in terms of us controlling the game and keeping the ball more.  But there is a long way to go and it won't be complete imo for another 2 years possibly 3 years. I believe the implementation will be complete by them and I for one will settle for that because Rodgers is right he may be  gone once we reap what he will sow for us because this implementation and ideals Rodgers has will last us for the a long time and may out live Rodgers time at Liverpool. He was right to say that.

The key is to see signs of progress I see it and I am a patient man. There will be many more lows believe me until we see Rodgers plan come to fruition.

But we have to start somewhere. We cannot keep having short term strategies as it does not work........unless you are a multi billionaire.

I second EVERY word of that. The progress made in this short timefram is nothing short of remarkable. For the first time since we last won the league we play a possession-based footy that sees us control the opponents in a way Rafa could only dream about with his ultra-negative 4-5-1 game. For the first time since God knows when it is exciting to watch us play. True, we struggle to get goals but I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that once the goals starts coming we, as a club, won't look back.

It's so smallminded to judge us merely on how we finish. I'd much rather we finish 7th this season but make steady progress than play a negative game that will see us scrap 4th with minimum probability we'll repeat that feat any time soon.

We're so moving in the right direction and THAT's what matter at this point.

Again Dude, could you please repeat how many points Rafa scraped from his first 4 games as manager of Valencia? I answered your three questions earlier to the best of my knowledge. Too bad you couldn't answer my single question.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 23, 2012, 08:22:46 PM »
anyone who doubts that we are in a very serious run of form, needs to look at the data.

if we look at our premiership results across this year to date, 2012, we have:

Played - 24,  Won – 5,  Drawn – 5,  Lost – 14

Averaged across a 38 game season, that is equivalent to 31 points.

That is most definitely RELEGATION FORM.

That's about the most stupid attempt at making an analysis I've seen in a very very long time. What's next? Your declaration as in fact the real humpty dumpty?
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 23, 2012, 08:23:32 PM »
Watch Fergie grinning at the end of this:

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/jonjo-shelvey-accuses-sir-alex-ferguson-thats-your-fault-after-sending-off-liverpool-manchester-united/

I thought JonJo was reckless, and I've said it before, but I dearly love
the boy for having a pop at SAF.

I don't buy into any of what Fergie says about our club. It's a worry for me
that we don't have a fierce competitor and serial winner in charge of the club
at the moment. A big worry.

Oh, but we do and one day you'll regret having ever written that post.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: September 23, 2012, 08:28:57 PM »
Again Dude, could you please repeat how many points Rafa scraped from his first 4 games as manager of Valencia? I answered your three questions earlier to the best of my knowledge.

what are you on about.

we did not recruit Rafa based on his first 4 games at Valencia.

in the same way that United did not recruit Ferguson based on his 4 results with Aberdeen.

what point are you trying to make?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 23, 2012, 08:30:44 PM »
That's about the most stupid attempt at making an analysis I've seen in a very very long time.

yes, data has never been your friend, Martin.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 23, 2012, 08:31:59 PM »

Just thinking about it that Suso sub really sent out a message. It would have been so easy for him to put someone in there like Sahin or Henderson. Someone with more experience instead of an 18 year old kid who's never played in the premier league before.

That took massive balls and huge belief. Not a single one of the managers I've seen at LFC in the last 25 years would have done that. They'd have gone for the safer option.

It sends an absolutely fantastic message to the entire squad. Suso did well on Thursday thus he got game time today. That simple. Perform and you'll get your chance. Too often in the last few years, players who haven't performed would still get in the team on name alone whereas players who did ok wouldnt get a look in.

It works the reverse too. No Downing in the squad was very telling. No price tag will dictate who gets in. Ok, so some could point at Carra being in the squad. But when Agger was suspended, it was Coates who filled in against City not Carra.

He needs results in, no doubt about that. But 2 points from 15 and yet noone's turned on him. Think everyone is pretty clear about the challenges ahead and the plan he's trying to implement. And I think all of us are behind that.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 23, 2012, 08:33:26 PM »
Here we go.

It's LFC and it matters where we finish in the the table. Fine, if you want to have
some lofty position on matters but please don't tell me that it's the Liverpool football
club that Bill Shankly built if it doesn't matter where we finish in the table. It does.

Will we finish top 4? NO will we be relegated? NO We will finish either 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th. So in reality it doesn't matter 5th or 8th.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 23, 2012, 08:36:51 PM »
what are you on about.

we did not recruit Rafa based on his first 4 games at Valencia.

in the same way that United did not recruit Ferguson based on his 4 results with Aberdeen.

what point are you trying to make?

That you tiredlessly harp on about how inexperienced and crap Brendan is and that the results thus far confirm that notion. I'm just saying that Rafa started off with 4 straight defeats at Mestalla and subsequently went on to lead Valencia to their first leaguetitle in 31 years.

Bottom line being: YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT A CREDIBLE ANALYSIS AS TO HOW WE'LL FARE UNDER BRENDAN!