October 17, 2019, 04:23:25 AM

Author Topic: Season 2012-2013  (Read 267394 times)

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2012-2013
« Reply #435 on: September 26, 2012, 06:51:00 PM »
maybe this rebuilding exercise also involves us heading down to the championship?
God you're such a short-termist Dude!  :)

Heading down to the championship would give us a fantastic opportunity to
blood our 8 yr. olds! (maintains starry eyed look at Life-sized BR portrait on
wall  ;D ).

Obviously these days we need 180-page treatises on the game. I note Roy
Keane's take on the secret to his career:

Brian Clough bought me over from Ireland, gave me my debut after only a few weeks at the club and looked after me well away from football. With top managers like Clough and Ferguson, the advice and the way they train is very simple.

People might think there's some magic science to it, but there isn't - they just keep it nice and simple.

Brian Clough's advice to me before most games was: 'you get it, you pass it to another player in a red shirt'. That's really all I've tried to do at Forest and United - pass and move - and I've made a career out of it.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 26, 2012, 07:54:11 PM »
God you're such a short-termist Dude!  :)

Heading down to the championship would give us a fantastic opportunity to
blood our 8 yr. olds! (maintains starry eyed look at Life-sized BR portrait on
wall  ;D ).

Obviously these days we need 180-page treatises on the game. I note Roy
Keane's take on the secret to his career:

Brian Clough bought me over from Ireland, gave me my debut after only a few weeks at the club and looked after me well away from football. With top managers like Clough and Ferguson, the advice and the way they train is very simple.

People might think there's some magic science to it, but there isn't - they just keep it nice and simple.

Brian Clough's advice to me before most games was: 'you get it, you pass it to another player in a red shirt'. That's really all I've tried to do at Forest and United - pass and move - and I've made a career out of it.

exactly, Ed.  Most players are not rocket scientists (to put it mildly), thus there is a lot to be said for keeping it simple.

There is, as the old saying goes, nothing new under the sun.

Pass and move, is as old as the game of football.

It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall of the Dalglish household.  I note from twitter, that Paul Dalglish (Kenny's son) has been pretty dismissive of Rodger's philosophy. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 29, 2012, 04:53:21 PM »
".....but we still conceded two goals!!"  ;D
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 29, 2012, 06:45:36 PM »
yes, two soft goals to concede, when 4 and 5 up, against a yellow and green relegation fodder attack.

but still, Suarez had his shooting boots on today.

let's hope he can stay fit and score a few of the many chances he gets.

if we can score more than we concede, we can be keeganesque in our endeavours.

sorta like a custard pie with a kevin keegan + david brent + alan partridge sorta mix.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 29, 2012, 08:02:16 PM »
Without wanting to sound hyper-critical we have got to sort out the defensive side, especially when going forward. Teams seem able to counter attack successfully (in goal terms). A good goal difference is worth an extra point (as Taggart's lot will testify), but it's good to see us actually converting the numerous chances we've always created.

I don't blame Reina for the first goal, he should be able to expect his defence to react quicker than they did. A good centre half, like a good striker is on his toes and follows in a shot.

Wisdom played very well again, as did Suso and Sterling. It's good to see Rodgers not taking the safe way out (sticking with 'names' and established players) and actually picking players who've earned a start through their endeavours in training and when they play well, they keep their place. It takes a degree of bravery to do that, when irrespective of performances, results aren't happening.

The owners need to understand we need investment in the next 'wave' of young players as well as one or two specific purchases for the first team. We won't get a 'name' in January but hopeful Rodgers has his eye on a 'clever' purchase up  front. 

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 29, 2012, 08:14:05 PM »
yes, if we can get the first goal in games, it forces the other side to come out of their shell and attack us.......which obviously means we then have more space to work behind.

but even with going a goal up, we are still weak at the back.  Skytrail has too many lapses for my liking, notably near the end of games.   Maybe we need an electric collar on him, thus allowing us to shock him for the final ten minutes...to ensure he does not snooze.

on the offensive side of things, it's great to see Rafa's recruits doing so well. 

yes, we are gonna need a striker.  Suarez is not the deadly poacher that we need.  He is a world class chance creator....but not an out and out scorer (despite getting three today).

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 29, 2012, 09:20:59 PM »
yes, if we can get the first goal in games, it forces the other side to come out of their shell and attack us.......which obviously means we then have more space to work behind.

but even with going a goal up, we are still weak at the back.  Skytrail has too many lapses for my liking, notably near the end of games.   Maybe we need an electric collar on him, thus allowing us to shock him for the final ten minutes...to ensure he does not snooze.

on the offensive side of things, it's great to see Rafa's recruits doing so well. 

yes, we are gonna need a striker.  Suarez is not the deadly poacher that we need.  He is a world class chance creator....but not an out and out scorer (despite getting three today).

Skrtel seems to have relapsed to pre Steve Clarke, but the whole defence (and to a certain degree the midfield) need to work harder and be more aware of what they are doing. There seems to be too much of a gap between midfield and defence for the opposition to break into. Whether it's a case of the defence dropping off and dropping too deep when we don't have the ball.
Maybe it's something Rodgers could look at with his system and tweak it for the time being at least otherwise we run the risk of losing all three points rather than being guaranteed at least point by keeping a clean sheet, at least until we can get another striker (hopefully a goalscorer) or we as a whole team can start regularly weighing in with goals.

Luis' goals record is better than it seems but he scores in bunches 27 goals in 60 games, and is the definition of a scorer of great goals, not a great goal scorer. If can be more focused also. Quite with the histrionics and moaning and just focus on his game. It's also not helping his cause to get penalties, one that's already hard enough since the 'Old Toilet Oracle' declared him to be a diver and most of the football world fell for it.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 29, 2012, 10:56:34 PM »
Skytrail has too many lapses for my liking, notably near the end of games.   Maybe we need an electric collar on him, thus allowing us to shock him for the final ten minutes...to ensure he does not snooze.

Dude, you may have just given Martin (not that one) an open goal he just can't miss,, or maybe he'll pass it to Edward to slam it home.  :D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 29, 2012, 11:44:06 PM »
but just imagine, if our lad had hung on to rafa's main men, kuyt, maxi, etc, how many we would have scored today.

doesn;t bare thinking about.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 30, 2012, 01:22:42 PM »
LIVERPOOL FC will reward Suso with a new contract following the Spanish youngster’s breakthrough into the first team.

The talented teenager’s current deal expires next summer and talks over an extension are already underway with Rodgers determined to keep him at Anfield.

Suso was part of the youth set up at Cádiz CF from the age of 12. He first received notice for a man of the match performance in a pre-season friendly in 2009 at the age of 15.

Suso signed for Liverpool in the summer of 2010 from his hometown club Cadiz, rejecting Barcelona and Real Madrid in the process, saying "I was going to sign for Real Madrid but one day before it the phone rang and Rafael Benitez spoke to me. He convinced me that Liverpool was the club for me and after that I had to change my plans. I was going to come to Liverpool."]. He was described by his then Cadiz manager Quique Gonzalez as "a boy with great quality, a good shot – his vision is great and his passing is outstanding."

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 30, 2012, 05:53:20 PM »
I was, again, very pleased and impressed by our performance. I doubt many teams will reproduce at Carrow Road our opening 30. It's clear Suarez is a different person using his energy to up his game rather than wawing his arms towards the refs. A brilliant display from him and long may it continue.

Also liked Suso and Sterling but was hugely impressed by young Wisdom. It takes quite a lot of brain to play wing back but he looks very mature for his age. I do think, however, he was at fault for their second rather than Skrtl.

If we can keep the momentum going against Stoke, over the interntional break and then Reading the derby will look very interesting. Again, for the first time in well over a decade I have the feeling we could go on a long winning streak.

Well done you redmen!!!
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 30, 2012, 06:14:25 PM »
If we can keep the momentum going against Stoke,

Stoke present the style of football we haven't really yet faced this season and it will be a big test of the manager's way of playing, the physical size (or not) of the team and our new found goalscoring prowess (against lesser teams).

I'd rather not look beyond that hurdle in the league. And we do have Udinese at home before then, so we need to build a bit of momentum at home ready for Stoke.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: October 01, 2012, 08:29:17 AM »
Stoke present the style of football we haven't really yet faced this season and it will be a big test of the manager's way of playing, the physical size (or not) of the team and our new found goalscoring prowess (against lesser teams).

I'd rather not look beyond that hurdle in the league. And we do have Udinese at home before then, so we need to build a bit of momentum at home ready for Stoke.

I agree very much with that. I'd have Stoke one of the hardest teams to beat today. Saw them against Chelsea at SB a couple of weeks back and Chelsea (as per fickin usual) won 1-0. It wasn't a fair result and Stoke really should've had at least one point, if not more in that game. They're so strong and hellbent on defending with 10 men behind the ball. They take no chances going forward to minimize exposure on the counterbreak.

As you say it'll be a stern test for Rodgers, his system and the lads. Udinese at home is actually quite an important game. A win would most likely see us through allowing Rodgers to field a b-side for the remaining games so I could understand if he's tempted to play a strong side which may drain us ahead of the weekend. Decisions, decisions...

Oh, and yes, it's true Rafa signed some of the young players. It is Rodgers, however, who's actually giving them a chance to shine.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 01, 2012, 03:46:44 PM »
Oh, and yes, it's true Rafa signed some of the young players. It is Rodgers, however, who's actually giving them a chance to shine.

Hopefully it's a sign that Rodgers hasn't had the same expectations and targets placed on him by the owners that previous managers must have had. Normally managers can't afford to 'blood' youngsters as their job is under too much pressure so they have to 'play it safe'.

If you look at the teams in the PL, of the bigger teams there's only usually Arsenal and the Mancs that regularly bring in and bring through younger players, but then Taggart's and Wenger's positions are the most secure.

It would seem the owners have now decided to take a longer term approach and re-build thoroughly rather than it looks like Dalglish 'had' to do and bring in 'ready made players for instant results', or not as it proved to be. We can't (and I wouldn't want us to) go the route of City and Chelsea so 'developing' a squad and team is the only other option.
Taggart's been good at that by always having one eye on his 'next team' when buying and bringing in players that 'can' contribute something now but will become a mainstay in the next team built.

For the first time since Moores ejected, does a manager at our club have some sort of stability and is obviously being given time and latitude to build, without having to meet certain targets in terms of league positions and trophies, and I imagine his 'achievements' will be measured over at least the next two seasons in a different way to which the previous 3 managers had their achievements gauged.     

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 01, 2012, 07:02:59 PM »
it's true Rafa signed some of the young players. It is Rodgers, however, who's actually giving them a chance to shine.

35 more points to go, and we should be safe.

hopefully we can keep Suarez fit and taking some of his chances.