October 16, 2019, 02:57:31 AM

Author Topic: Season 2012-2013  (Read 266029 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2012-2013
« Reply #495 on: October 20, 2012, 06:42:37 PM »
I said a 1-0 was all that was required. Where I'd be disappointed is with the
personnel required to achieve that. I aint seen the game so I can't comment
any further really.
Neither have I Ed but according to Sky Sports lads it was a little nervy in the last 15 minutes. Given the lack of home wins this year that was probably a given.

But we won and kept a second consecutive clean sheet so that's progress. There's two ways of looking at a nervy 1-0 win. We could either be rank with few actual chances created or more chances created but rank at our finishing. It seems today was the latter which I think is better than the former.

And with so many players away on international duty it was always going to ask a lot for good performances. Look at Utd conceding 2 and Shrek scoring an OG where we kept a clean sheet. Utd have only conceded one less goal than us but obviously have scored more. And currently Arsenal are losing at Norwich were we scored 5.

Once we start to score more (as I believe we will) it doesn't take long to climb the table. There's 4 teams on 14 points so we could make significant progress if we win our next 2 games which admittedly won't be easy - Everton (A) and Newcastle (H).
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 20, 2012, 07:17:38 PM »
But we won and kept a second consecutive clean sheet so that's progress.
Yes, can't argue with that.

I suppose my feeling was that this was our easiest fixture in the league 'til Villa on
December 15th and I would have preferred to have a look at Assaidi, Downing and
Henderson.

A result was paramount but at some point the personnel will have to be jiggled about
and let's just hope they're ready to make an impact when called on because as Tes
mentioned a decision will have to be taken at some point about our route to European
football next season. Which is an interesting question in itself, is that the priority this
season to retain our presence in Europe next season!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 20, 2012, 07:19:35 PM »
You can F**k off for all I care

As I said before, this is going to be the most exciting season in a very very long time.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 20, 2012, 07:46:51 PM »
Looking again at the league, those with the money are up there as expected. We no longer fall into that catagory. Also, there are teams that can display stability and continuity, either of management or playing staff or both. Again, to a degree that makes the difference, we're not in that group either.

We shouldn't be on our third manager in three seasons, but we are, thanks to past and present administrations at the club. And talking about threes, this is our manager's third season only as a manager. That brings and contributes towards it's own set of circumstances and possibily problems.

You would hope Reading would be 'dispatched' but as we're suffering from the same inability to put the ball in the net as we did all last season, that curse can strike irrespective of the opposition and the inability to score changes the dynamic against every team. The only thing that will likely change is the number of chances we create. The lack of goals is always likely to be a problem until the underlying causes are rectified.

The most important result, as always, is not the last one, but the next one.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 20, 2012, 07:56:42 PM »
Suddenly we are ONLY 5 points from 4th.............

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: October 20, 2012, 08:15:17 PM »
Suddenly we are ONLY 5 points from relegation.............

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: October 20, 2012, 08:28:56 PM »
A damning stat and a very scary one...we have to do our utmost to win any game at the moment. Any win gains confidence and if we fail to win this one then we'd better start waking up to the possibility of a relegation struggle.

we're three points closer to the 40 points mark.  And that's a relief.

I read another very disturbing stat today on the BBC website - that prior to today's result, Arsenal had won more times at Anfield in 2012, than Liverpool had in 2012.  Surreal.

Our overall form across this year, is not nearly relegation form, it is full-blown bottom 2 form.

But Barticus, it is hardly surprising, since we have been saying for the past 2 or 3 years about our incredulity at our manager appointments, transfer dealings and boardroom personnel.

To my eyes, we are no closer to any balance in the team (under Rodgers).  We are merely playing masturbatory football.  It is often pleasing on the eye.  But why aren't we building from the back.  A good defence is where one starts when building a team.  And at the front, why did we jettison our forwards and bring nobody in.

I am an old fogey, when it comes to formations.  But I was always  used to the standard 4-4-2.....which could be changed and tweaked when and where applicable (often mid-game). 

In such a formation, where does someone like Allen fit in?  OK, I like the lad.  His terrier style and interplay is pleasing on the eye.  But in practical terms, where does he fit in.  He is central midfielder.  And yet, he is neither an attacking midfielder (he couldn;t hit a barn door, the stats are embarrassing across his career)....and he would never be strong enough to be a defensive midfielder.  To me, he is a luxury player.  Someone that one needs for masturbatory football.   Generic masturbatory football gets you nowhere.  The master of such football, is Arsene Wenger (a far better manager than Rodgers).....and yet, look at the lack of trophies he has won this past decade.  So even masturbatory football at it's finest, offers limited returns.  At the end of the day, there has to be an end product.  Top level football is all about being clinical.  It is not about passing the ball to death, or passing for the sake of passing.

And Gerrard is still in the centre of midfield......and has cost us several goals again this season.

The major positives, to date....the lad Sterling is a gem.  And today, there were several touches from Wisdom that were delightful.

Long winter ahead.  40 points is our first target.  Given a year or two, I see Rodgers as a top ten manager at best.  Even with our vast riches (we are the league's 4th biggest wages payer), we struggle to break down the tiny teams, like stoke and reading.  Most likely Everton will finish ahead of us this season (and they pay something like only 35 percent of the wages we pay).

*battening down the hatches....preparing for incoming scandinavian scuds*
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 08:32:57 PM by the dude abides »
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: October 20, 2012, 08:38:08 PM »

Russian arms exports are far (and near) reaching.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: October 20, 2012, 09:00:04 PM »
Russian arms exports are far (and near) reaching.

reckon he might be a commie?

the fourth man....maybe a Kim Philby.

if Sweden invades Panama, I'll be holed up in the Brazilian embassy.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 20, 2012, 09:21:53 PM »
we're three points closer to the 40 points mark.  And that's a relief.

I read another very disturbing stat today on the BBC website - that prior to today's result, Arsenal had won more times at Anfield in 2012, than Liverpool had in 2012.  Surreal.

Our overall form across this year, is not nearly relegation form, it is full-blown bottom 2 form.

But Barticus, it is hardly surprising, since we have been saying for the past 2 or 3 years about our incredulity at our manager appointments, transfer dealings and boardroom personnel.

To my eyes, we are no closer to any balance in the team (under Rodgers).  We are merely playing masturbatory football.  It is often pleasing on the eye.  But why aren't we building from the back.  A good defence is where one starts when building a team.  And at the front, why did we jettison our forwards and bring nobody in.

I am an old fogey, when it comes to formations.  But I was always  used to the standard 4-4-2.....which could be changed and tweaked when and where applicable (often mid-game). 

In such a formation, where does someone like Allen fit in?  OK, I like the lad.  His terrier style and interplay is pleasing on the eye.  But in practical terms, where does he fit in.  He is central midfielder.  And yet, he is neither an attacking midfielder (he couldn;t hit a barn door, the stats are embarrassing across his career)....and he would never be strong enough to be a defensive midfielder.  To me, he is a luxury player.  Someone that one needs for masturbatory football.   Generic masturbatory football gets you nowhere.  The master of such football, is Arsene Wenger (a far better manager than Rodgers).....and yet, look at the lack of trophies he has won this past decade.  So even masturbatory football at it's finest, offers limited returns.  At the end of the day, there has to be an end product.  Top level football is all about being clinical.  It is not about passing the ball to death, or passing for the sake of passing.

And Gerrard is still in the centre of midfield......and has cost us several goals again this season.

The major positives, to date....the lad Sterling is a gem.  And today, there were several touches from Wisdom that were delightful.

Long winter ahead.  40 points is our first target.  Given a year or two, I see Rodgers as a top ten manager at best.  Even with our vast riches (we are the league's 4th biggest wages payer), we struggle to break down the tiny teams, like stoke and reading.  Most likely Everton will finish ahead of us this season (and they pay something like only 35 percent of the wages we pay).

Go back to wanking over Benitez. As that is all your good for, because you have no clue at all about football apart from that (i.e. your love of 442. 442 formation is as dead as the dodo at the top level of the game now). I'll continue to support Rodgers thanks.

I thought Liverpool supporters were supposed to support their manager when the manager is fighting for the club and embraces its culture (i.e. not Hodgson). I guess with all that wanking your doing over Benitez, your blindness increases.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 09:23:20 PM by Edward224 »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: October 20, 2012, 09:23:42 PM »
reckon he might be a commie?

the fourth man....maybe a Kim Philby.

if Sweden invades Panama, I'll be holed up in the Brazilian embassy.

Unless Sweden did a spot of cold war espionage and stole the blueprints, the incoming Swedish scud would be of Russian manufacture.

Martin's definately a Red.  8) I like his optimism. He'll learn though.  :D  Age has a way of doing that to you.  :D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: October 20, 2012, 09:57:28 PM »
Go back to wanking over Benitez. As that is all your good for, because you have no clue at all about football apart from that (i.e. your love of 442. 442 formation is as dead as the dodo at the top level of the game now). I'll continue to support Rodgers thanks.

I thought Liverpool supporters were supposed to support their manager when the manager is fighting for the club and embraces its culture (i.e. not Hodgson). I guess with all that wanking your doing over Benitez, your blindness increases.

bloddy ell, why do you and Martin keep bringing up Rafa Benitez?

hardly a day goes by, when you don;t vent your anger at our ex manager.

and really, you and martin have to stop with the nasty personal abuse.  Not only is it against the terms and conditions that you signed up under, when registering in here.....but it is also childish.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 20, 2012, 09:59:34 PM »
Unless Sweden did a spot of cold war espionage and stole the blueprints, the incoming Swedish scud would be of Russian manufacture.

Martin's definately a Red.  8) I like his optimism. He'll learn though.  :D  Age has a way of doing that to you.  :D

aye, he may be a red...but what shade of red?

a chinese or a russian red.....a united or a scouse red.

double agents come in all shapes and guises.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 20, 2012, 10:24:12 PM »
I suppose my feeling was that this was our easiest fixture in the league 'til Villa on
December 15th and I would have preferred to have a look at Assaidi, Downing and
Henderson.

Funny thing football Ed. What appears easy and difficult on paper can be quite something else on the pitch. I suppose Brendan has his reasons for today's selection. Trust is a factor. Only Brendan knows who he trusts when a result is vital. I guess he trusts Sterling more than Downing. It takes bottle to make decisions like that and he deserves credit for that. I suspect we'll see some if not all of those players you mentioned on Thursday.

A result was paramount but at some point the personnel will have to be jiggled about
and let's just hope they're ready to make an impact when called on because as Tes
mentioned a decision will have to be taken at some point about our route to European
football next season. Which is an interesting question in itself, is that the priority this
season to retain our presence in Europe next season!

The league will be our priority this season. Has to be both for the financial reward it brings and the feeling in the club that a corner has been turned. Higher than 8th will be seen as a good first season for Brendan. I don't think the financial rewards of the Europa are that high anyway. A decent run in domestic cups would be nice though.
Cheers,
Ray

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 20, 2012, 10:33:10 PM »
and really, you and martin have to stop with the nasty personal abuse.  Not only is it against the terms and conditions that you signed up under, when registering in here.....but it is also childish.

That's a bit rich coming from someone who refers to the Liverpool manager as a fu.kwit!  >:(
Cheers,
Ray