October 21, 2019, 08:57:21 PM

Author Topic: Season 2012-2013  (Read 270452 times)

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2012-2013
« Reply #510 on: October 20, 2012, 10:45:35 PM »
bloddy ell, why do you and Martin keep bringing up Rafa Benitez?

hardly a day goes by, when you don;t vent your anger at our ex manager.

and really, you and martin have to stop with the nasty personal abuse.  Not only is it against the terms and conditions that you signed up under, when registering in here.....but it is also childish.

Because ever since Rodgers has come here have you ever backed him and said that you'll support him in his efforts for us. Ever since your hero was denied the job you've been on his back.

If Rodgers had been like Hodgson and not embraced the Liverpool way, had kissed manc bottom then I'd have understood your position on Rodgers.

If we were 3 years down the line and saw no progression in the league, not seen his ideals come to fruition and not seen any player development then I'd also have understood your position.

But at every single opportunity you have undermined everthing Rodgers has said and done.

Also in respect of you saying Allen is simply an ok player is mind boggling.

Joe Allen will never be a defensive midfielder in the ilk of Keane or Makelele. Nor will he be an offensive midfielder like Gerrard or Zidane. He is simply a central midfielder who along with Lucas is going to be the engine room in helping us ascent the table.

Allen's decision making skills are excellent. At the young age he has been entrusted with the responsibility of controlling the tempo for us. He possesses good off the ball movement, allowing him to get free and make himself available for the pass. He also seems to be in right place at the right time when helping out the defense. He also makes good decisions when to get forward or stay back, usually timing his runs into the box effectively.

He also possesses very good technical ability. He has a good first touch which allows him retain the ball in tight spaces or under intense pressure. His first touch allows him separate himself from opponents and create enough room to pass, shoot or run with the ball. He is not one to dribble except when he absolutely has to.  He also possesses close control in the face of pressure.

He is statistically one of the best passers in Europe. He completed 90.3 percent of his passes last season, making him among the top 10 in terms of passing percentage. He plays a lot of short passes, but he can certainly loft a 30-40 yard pass and looks to become even more proficient as a passer.

Both defending and work rate goes hand in hand because it is Allen’s work rate that allows him to him to contribute defensively. His ability to track back and get in the right position after we loses possession allows him to time his tackles and intercept passes. He is not one to shy away from a tackle, the good thing about it is that he can actually tackle rather than earn unnecessary bookings.

So quite frankly your assessment of Allen says to me your understanding of football is either incredibly low or you are incredibly biased against a player Rodgers has bought.

Either way either you are stupid or a dumbass.

Peace.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 20, 2012, 10:46:14 PM »
Has to be both for the financial reward it brings and the feeling in the club that a corner has been turned.

Only our club could turn a corner to come full circle.  :D
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: October 20, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
Only our club could turn a corner to come full circle.  :D

Bloody 'ell Tes. Don't you start with the negativity. We have enough with dude!
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 20, 2012, 10:53:08 PM »
I don't think the financial rewards of the Europa are that high anyway.

The competition itself is worth pennies at the side of the CL, but it's much more a case of European exposure, Ray.
It doesn't do for clubs the likes of our's and the Ajaxs and Milans etc not to be playing in European competition of some sort every season. 

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 20, 2012, 10:56:32 PM »
The competition itself is worth pennies at the side of the CL, but it's much more a case of European exposure, Ray.
It doesn't do for clubs the likes of our's and the Ajaxs and Milans etc not to be playing in European competition of some sort every season. 

Well we're in it this season Tes and I think we'll be there again next season. Not sure which compo next season though. January signings need to hit the ground (and net) running!
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 20, 2012, 10:57:12 PM »
Funny thing football Ed. What appears easy and difficult on paper can be quite something else on the pitch. I suppose Brendan has his reasons for today's selection. Trust is a factor. Only Brendan knows who he trusts when a result is vital. I guess he trusts Sterling more than Downing. It takes bottle to make decisions like that and he deserves credit for that. I suspect we'll see some if not all of those players you mentioned on Thursday.

The league will be our priority this season. Has to be both for the financial reward it brings and the feeling in the club that a corner has been turned. Higher than 8th will be seen as a good first season for Brendan. I don't think the financial rewards of the Europa are that high anyway. A decent run in domestic cups would be nice though.
I'll have to look at the game before I can say.

Thursday's a biggie and I'm looking forward to see Hiddink's outfit, they've
lost one out of twelve in their league this season and are top of it!

I'd argue missing out on Europe would have to be seen as a step backward,
that's why I'm keen for us to stay in all competitions.

Agree! If he holds on to Europe, then credit to him.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 20, 2012, 11:03:28 PM »
Either way either you are stupid or a dumbass.

my summer assessments and predictions have, to date, been spot on.

the club has made it's worst ever start to a league season in it's 120 year history.

we are now struggling to even beat the likes of stoke and reading....even at anfield.

you, as usual, make bad calls and then get heated up about it.

but hey, keyboard hard-man, if you want to meet up and discuss the issues, do let me know.   :D
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 20, 2012, 11:14:04 PM »
Bloody 'ell Tes. Don't you start with the negativity. We have enough with dude!

Ray, it was a poor attempt at a play on words. Do you remember Houllier telling us we'd turned a corner (more than once)? When you used that phrase it was like going in full circle from Houllier through to now.

We're seeing the culmination of a lot of mistakes over two decades. We have to start and re-build somewhere.

At least Rodgers appears to understand Liverpool. Hodgeson for his decades in the game just didn't.

I expect to see refreshing things and mistakes from a young inexperienced manager. The willingness to blood the kids rather than doing the safe, stale old thing of keeping picking the tried and failed. He wants to play a way that is nearer what we want from a Liverpool team.
His ideas can be a touch idealistic but that comes with youth and inexperience. He'll learn to find the balance.
Even Taggart, especially in Europe had that lesson to learn.

Even if we don't set the world on fire this season, we've already had the enjoyment of seeing the emergence of Sterling, Suso and especially Wisdom. The former two were known about and whilst Wisdom was to a degree, not being an attacking player, he'd never had the same build up. He looks so accomplished for such a young player and has a calm, mature head, far beyond his years.

We've hardly been regular winners of trophies since the last title, so there have been seasons that literally gave us nothing. This one has already given us the young players. I'm enjoying their emergence immensely, and especially without a Sugar Daddy.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 20, 2012, 11:17:30 PM »
Well we're in it this season Tes and I think we'll be there again next season. Not sure which compo next season though. January signings need to hit the ground (and net) running!

If we qualify again for next season that in itself brings stability. Before we climb back we have to make sure the slide is arrested. Re-qualification goes towards that aim.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 21, 2012, 03:04:11 AM »
Trust is a factor. Only Brendan knows who he trusts when a result is vital. I guess he trusts Sterling more than Downing. It takes bottle to make decisions like that and he deserves credit for that. I suspect we'll see some if not all of those players you mentioned on Thursday.
Just watched the game and am wondering what happens when teams start asking more
questions of us than Reading (they could barely cross the ball...honest!)

We are merely playing masturbatory football. 
There's an element of that and the rumours that we're still interested in Theo Walcott aren't
exactly comforting. We tend to play this football like we're 4 up all the time?? I don't understand,
I mean slow things down, build and sustain the possession and pressure in their half, take your
chances!

the lad Sterling is a gem.  And today, there were several touches from Wisdom that were delightful.
I think we play Raheem far too much at the moment (awesome finish for the goal though 'cos
he gave himself a bit to do). Wisdom got caught out a few times at the back and Suso was
relatively annonymous. Not having a go, just sayin' that it's difficult to expect 90 mins. of
premier league football consistently from these youngins.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: October 21, 2012, 09:41:06 AM »
Ray, it was a poor attempt at a play on words. Do you remember Houllier telling us we'd turned a corner (more than once)? When you used that phrase it was like going in full circle from Houllier through to now.
I don't Tes. Probably why your humour was lost on me.  :(

At least Rodgers appears to understand Liverpool...His ideas can be a touch idealistic but that comes with youth and inexperience. He'll learn to find the balance.[/quote]
Agreed. I think he will grow into the job quite rapidly though. He's definitely a thinker.

Even if we don't set the world on fire this season, we've already had the enjoyment of seeing the emergence of Sterling, Suso and especially Wisdom. The former two were known about and whilst Wisdom was to a degree, not being an attacking player, he'd never had the same build up. He looks so accomplished for such a young player and has a calm, mature head, far beyond his years.
I haven't seen enough from MoTD highlights to judge Wisdom. I'm guessing you are watching games not available to UK viewers.
Cheers,
Ray

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: October 21, 2012, 09:44:02 AM »
Just watched the game and am wondering what happens when teams start asking more
questions of us than Reading (they could barely cross the ball...honest!)

I guess we up our game accordingly. I'm sure subconsciously the players approach a game against Manure totally differently to the Readings of the world.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 21, 2012, 05:32:43 PM »
I guess we up our game accordingly. I'm sure subconsciously the players approach a game against Manure totally differently to the Readings of the world.
Maybe, I think there's a lot of ifs and maybes in that team.

I couldn't help but feel disgusted at the finishing (just embarassing!).

I agree with Dude that the style of football is poncy.

This attitude, oh look Suso played a lovely ball there gets us nowhere.
Its 90 mins..

I think that there needs to be much more balance in the team, it all went down
the left yesterday, I can't understand why the more direct Downer didn't feature
on the right. It's too chaotic in the second half of the pitch with Luis popping up
everywhere
and Stevie compounding matters by playing impossible balls all the time.
Courage, imo, would be to get a grip on the midfield and pull Stevie out of it, leave
it to the likes of Allen, Henderson and Sahin to Control that area. Fine in the final third
things can be more fluid but more structure is required elsewhere.

BR is too intoxicated by technicians Luis, Sterling, Suso, Shelvey & Gerrard at the expense
of intelligent players like e.g. Kuyt who do the dirty and effective work.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: October 21, 2012, 09:53:22 PM »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: October 21, 2012, 10:02:13 PM »
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.