October 17, 2019, 04:11:07 AM

Author Topic: Season 2012-2013  (Read 267387 times)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2012-2013
« Reply #540 on: October 22, 2012, 03:27:24 PM »
If it is to any consolation, here's my nominee for the next MTv awards.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyqJ9wxZ9L0
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: October 22, 2012, 03:53:48 PM »
Stats should never be taken as gospel, more a possible indicator of something. I think we have to be careful that we don't turn a blind eye to or gloss over things that aren't what we want to see or read, at the same time make sure we don't see them as an absolute negative indicator.

Some things don't go the way we want them to and discussing them or acknowledging them is not negative, or an indication of a lack of support but rather an understanding that things can go wrong, mistakes can be made etc, and as with anything, whether you succeed or fail in something, it's always a good thing to evaluate and examine and see where things went wrong or where, even if you succeed, you can improve.

We just need to make sure that we don't overdo the reactions to points raised, but also accept that raising a point is not a problem in itself, no matter whether it's negative or positive.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: October 22, 2012, 03:55:16 PM »
It's pretty much as Edward insisted in a post above: from day 1 the Rafaites have spouted their bitterness at him for no other reason than Brendan Rodgers not being Rafa. Rafael Benitez got 6 full seasons to implement his ideas. He failed. What's the problem? Moving on. Simple as.

I think it's pathetic to write off, criticize, ridicule and forecast our manager and how he will fare before he even got 1 season behind him, let alone a handful of games.

some of us support the club, Martin.  The club comes before any individual.

a few on the margins, like yourself, instead like to put labels on others (e.g.  Rafa-ites).

you don't like the use of the current facts, you say.  But on the otherhand, if we had won our first half dozen games, you;d be singing from the roof-tops about such facts.

despite not having much appreciation of the manager, on a personal level, I want the club to excel.  That comes before anything else. 

And I stick to my forecast from the summer.  I predicted a horrid start, up to Christmas.  And then we'd either finish mid-table or slightly above (top eight).

People need to be brought down to earth.  Liverpool was always a hardworking club with humble ideas.  I remember Souness (when he was a player) saying that any player who came into the club and was a big-time Charlie (a big head, full of himself) was quickly brought down to earth by the other players.  They'd take the pi.ss etc and make a fool of such a person.

Our new boss has no reason to be arrogant.  He finished 13th in the table at Watford.  He was sacked at Reading.  And his short time in the game (3 or so years as a manager) has resulted in a very average 41 percent of games won.  He needs to keep his feet on the ground.  He has no reason to boast.

That being said.....now, let's get on with the season, and get a few wins under our belt.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: October 22, 2012, 05:19:26 PM »
Given our tradition of producing top finishers it's embarassing.
This has been an ongoing problem at the club recently and it
should be taken seriously.

Agreed Ed. Torres was the last forward to regularly knock 'em in and his quality has never been replaced. You either have to find a wonderkid (high risk) or spend big time on proven quality. Sturridge is wanted but only on loan until end of season whereas Chelsea want to sell. Not sure he's the answer. Same with Ba. Just goes to show how difficult it is.

It's more an attitude, I prefer teams that have mental steel, get results and i suppose as was
once said of Daley Thompson "It's not enough for him to win; he has to mentally destroy
his opponent"
. By comparison we run around all afternoon with very little end product and
have to suffer the indignity of a last 15 minutes of pressure from one of the weakest teams in
the division on our home patch. It's poncy  :)

Steel comes with confidence and confidence comes from winning games. You can't manufacture steel. I don't know what the answer is to so-called poncy football. I don't see it as that so don't have a problem with keeping the ball but it was interesting to note that the goal on Saturday came from a very direct style of play.

He did ok in the post match interview, mentioned clean sheets twice, seemed more results oriented
and wasn't off on his usual little self serving diversions. Though taking credit for Sterling's goal with
his we practise these things in training was less impressive (he couldn't help himself). One of these
days he may do a proper one where i can go "sounds like the LFC gaffer now, Thank Christ!"  :)

He'll grow into the job. We all do that in our jobs. I don't have a problem with him using 'we' as it's a collective responsibility.
Cheers,
Ray

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: October 22, 2012, 05:23:39 PM »
the press always are behind the times (there is a significant time lag).....for a couple of reasons 1) there are very few really good football journalists (most are rubbish); and 2) they build you up, so that they can later shoot you down.   People like Martin Samuel, for example, are a joke. 

but the press always have their own agendas.  And they exist primarily to make profits.

I only read the Telegraph for match reports so that's predominantly Chris Bascombe who can be quite critical when it's deserved. Henry Winter is an excellent analyst. You can't agree with everything they write and I don't.

that being the case, you are mixing with some devilish folks in here...some day, you may come over to the dark side..there is a world beyond the BBC and Sky.

LOL! I just find it too difficult to see the ball on a 15" laptop. I suppose I'm spoilt have a 42" plasma. One day maybe.  :)
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: October 22, 2012, 05:55:14 PM »
Well I've managed to get a ticket for the Liverpool-Wigan game on Nov. 17!

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: October 22, 2012, 06:13:03 PM »
Well I've managed to get a ticket for the Liverpool-Wigan game on Nov. 17!

Well done! I hope you enjoy the game. If you have the time get there early and visit the museum. Well worth it!
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: October 22, 2012, 08:39:56 PM »
I only read the Telegraph for match reports so that's predominantly Chris Bascombe who can be quite critical when it's deserved. Henry Winter is an excellent analyst. You can't agree with everything they write and I don't.

LOL! I just find it too difficult to see the ball on a 15" laptop. I suppose I'm spoilt have a 42" plasma. One day maybe.  :)

It's not the greatest way to watch on a 17" monitor but it takes me back to when you could only 'listen' to football if you couldn't get to the match. I guess I have 'a thing' for slumming it.  ;D

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: October 22, 2012, 08:56:34 PM »
Well done! I hope you enjoy the game. If you have the time get there early and visit the museum. Well worth it!

I definitely want to go to the museum.

I am at the Anfield Road end. How likely am I to get a bus back to the station in time for me to catch either the 5.48 to Euston or 5.52 to Ely?!

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: October 22, 2012, 09:53:09 PM »
Edward,

I don't live near the club and when I used to go it was by car. The best advice can be found in this link. http://www.liverpoolfc.com/travel/getting-to-anfield

It's only 2 miles from Lime Street Station so I would have thought you have a decent chance of getting there for those trains. If only Kopite was still here he could give you more precise help but ask in a pub or inside the ground and I'm sure someone will help.
Cheers,
Ray

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: October 22, 2012, 09:55:48 PM »
It's not the greatest way to watch on a 17" monitor but it takes me back to when you could only 'listen' to football if you couldn't get to the match. I guess I have 'a thing' for slumming it.  ;D

Better than not seeing it at all I suppose. It does pain me at times the amount of money I give to Murdoch but I don't have many other weaknesses and I have to spend it on something!

So where in the world do you live Tes?
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: October 22, 2012, 10:02:57 PM »
Better than not seeing it at all I suppose. It does pain me at times the amount of money I give to Murdoch but I don't have many other weaknesses and I have to spend it on something!

So where in the world do you live Tes?

Derbyshire, about 8 miles from Matlock, though there's nothing 'peakturesque' about Alfreton and all the surrounding area. Much prefer the Newark area of Notts where I'm originally from (brought up).

I'm with Dude on refusing to give 'the Dark One' money. A stream's not that bad when you get a decent one but as I rarely watch TV (only our matches in the UEFA Cup) I don't find it a problem as I'm not used to TV really.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: October 22, 2012, 10:14:59 PM »
Not that far away from me then. I thought you might be retired in Spain. I'm sure you wouldn't have to travel far to get into nice scenery. Bakewell's just up the road. Can't beat a good tart!  :D

If I  killed my sub then I would only see streamed games with inevitable delays despite having a fast broadband connection and brief highlights on MoTD. It's worth it even though I am making the bugger richer. Nose, spite and cut spring to mind regarding cancellation.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: October 22, 2012, 10:39:55 PM »
Not that far away from me then. I thought you might be retired in Spain. I'm sure you wouldn't have to travel far to get into nice scenery. Bakewell's just up the road. Can't beat a good tart!  :D

If I  killed my sub then I would only see streamed games with inevitable delays despite having a fast broadband connection and brief highlights on MoTD. It's worth it even though I am making the bugger richer. Nose, spite and cut spring to mind regarding cancellation.

To be honest Ray, I don't miss Sky at all. The streams aren't that bad and some of the commentary teams I come across are better than anything I ever suffered with Sky.   

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: October 22, 2012, 10:40:59 PM »
All this talk about our worst start in 100 years got me curious so I dug up some stats. That may well have been the case after a few games but after 8 games we had fewer points 2 seasons ago when we had accrued just ... 6 points! Our best in the last 8 seasons was 2008-09 when we accrued 20 points.

2005-06 wasn't much better with only 10 points after 8 and that team included Alonso and Garcia plus Gerrard in his prime.

And in those seasons we finished 6th in 2010-11; 2nd in 2008-09 and 3rd in 2005-06. That last season especially shows we can recover and be in with a chance of CL football. Always the optimist!
Cheers,
Ray