October 14, 2019, 03:26:07 PM

Author Topic: Season 2012-2013  (Read 265490 times)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2012-2013
« Reply #645 on: November 05, 2012, 11:24:23 PM »
Martin, you are excluded from what I meant above. There simply isn't enough 'non spectators' going now to make the difference. Too many are 'just glad to be there'. As a fellow OOT, though nowhere near as far away as you, I see it exactly the same way as you. If you want to 'watch' the match, do it at home in the comfort of the armchair.
You go to the match to support, to do what you can as a fan to get behind the team for the 90 minutes. The moaning can be done afterwards in the pub or on places like these, forums.

Exactly. Where do you live?

I do wonder whether this issue will be addressed during the planning of expanding Anfield. I think Boroussia Dortmund is the example we should look to and be inspired by. They seem to be what we once used to be all about. A great club which I wholeheartedly hope  do well  and wish the best in the CL this year. It doesn't hurt to see them play fantastic footy either nor did the appearence of the large banner at the "yellow wall", calling for justice for the 96 earlier this autumn.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 11:30:39 PM by Martinmarx »
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: November 05, 2012, 11:51:28 PM »
Exactly. Where do you live?

I do wonder whether this issue will be addressed during the planning of expanding Anfield. I think Boroussia Dortmund is the example we should look to and be inspired by. They seem to be what we once used to be all about. A great club which I wholeheartedly hope  do well  and wish the best in the CL this year. It doesn't hurt to see them play fantastic footy either nor did the appearence of the large banner at the "yellow wall", calling for justice for the 96 earlier this autumn.

The German setup is far different to the Premier League. The PL is all based on 'market forces', the financially strong flourish, the less so make up the numbers. The ticket prices go up and up despite ever increasing tv revenue and the fans go the same way as the clubs.
German teams, at least the Bundesliga, all have to be 51% owned by fans and no club is allowed to run at a loss. It's solid. There's substance beneath the image and the surface. It's designed for the long term and to avoid a financial bubble being over expanded and burst. And like most German companies, they get the balance between quality product and price for the customer (fan) and the need to make a profit.
The Bundesliga may not quite have the world superstars, but neither does it have clubs in major financial difficulties having paid out more than they can afford to bring in the world stars - unlike La Liga in Spain, Serie A in Italy and the Premier League. All 3 leagues have clubs with major debt and financial problems, but still things carry on the same way.

I live in Derbyshire, but haven't been in a while as I can't warrant the cost of a ticket and travel anymore when there are greater demands on finances - family etc. The five of us that used to regularly travel up together all had the same sort of choices to make. I miss the games but not the lack of atmosphere that had already started to take hold.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: November 06, 2012, 12:00:00 AM »
Exactly.

why are you saying "EXACTLY", in agreeing with Tes about forums being for opinions (and if need be, moaning)?

you have been insulting me (and others) for what you label as, moaning, for months.

ironically enough, the biggest moaner in this place is you.......look at the slagging you have been giving players this weekend. 

and when others upset you, you have been known to wish them to get cancer and die.  I believe you have wished death on two folks to date.

Martin, I really am starting to wonder about your sanity.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: November 06, 2012, 01:12:26 AM »
why are you saying "EXACTLY", in agreeing with Tes about forums being for opinions (and if need be, moaning)?

you have been insulting me (and others) for what you label as, moaning, for months.

ironically enough, the biggest moaner in this place is you.......look at the slagging you have been giving players this weekend. 

and when others upset you, you have been known to wish them to get cancer and die.  I believe you have wished death on two folks to date.

Martin, I really am starting to wonder about your sanity.

I did it once in the heat of the moment. I don't know whether it matters if I say I'm sorry and regret it with every fiber of my body? As for the linesmen I said I wish him the worst - I was having in mind not being allowed to ref any time soon.

As for slagging the players. I think of the internet forums as a place that fills a lot of functions. Predominantly entertaining informed debated and discussions, but sometimes I think of it as a valve to let out some steam. It is hard to see us go into such an important game and watch players who make more money in a month I do in a year miss out on sitter after sitter.

As for the insulting part I guess it's each to his own an'all. My perception is that it is ME who have had to put up with your superior tone telling any opposing poster he or she doesn't possess a tenth of your mighty knowledge. I'm not saying that's how it actually was, just how it struck me. Either way it takes two to tango as you probably know so here's me willing to slate the sheet clean by extending my apologies for anything I might have said that offended you. In the future I'm willing to bite the tounge for the sake of the atmosphere in this place, which I rate highly. I can't promise I won't let out some steam every know and then. I'll do me best.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: November 06, 2012, 01:20:18 AM »
The German setup is far different to the Premier League. The PL is all based on 'market forces', the financially strong flourish, the less so make up the numbers. The ticket prices go up and up despite ever increasing tv revenue and the fans go the same way as the clubs.
German teams, at least the Bundesliga, all have to be 51% owned by fans and no club is allowed to run at a loss. It's solid. There's substance beneath the image and the surface. It's designed for the long term and to avoid a financial bubble being over expanded and burst. And like most German companies, they get the balance between quality product and price for the customer (fan) and the need to make a profit.
The Bundesliga may not quite have the world superstars, but neither does it have clubs in major financial difficulties having paid out more than they can afford to bring in the world stars - unlike La Liga in Spain, Serie A in Italy and the Premier League. All 3 leagues have clubs with major debt and financial problems, but still things carry on the same way.

I live in Derbyshire, but haven't been in a while as I can't warrant the cost of a ticket and travel anymore when there are greater demands on finances - family etc. The five of us that used to regularly travel up together all had the same sort of choices to make. I miss the games but not the lack of atmosphere that had already started to take hold.

Cheers for that Tes. A lot of stuff in there I didn't know. I do know however they have stands in the Westfalen Arena. Safe stands that is. Made in a way that makes a crush virtually impossible. That's having the fan's perspective through and through. Also very interesting about fans owning the clubs. I think the invention of the PL on the one hand produced the best league in the world while killing its soul in the process. If I understand it correctly, tv-money was split even between the 92 clubs prior to the set up. Then the same system of allocating wealth that's been in place around the Western world for the past quarter of a century was put in place. It is sad and I sometimes feel very alienated from everything footy related. Wish I could go more often as I like the city and the people, but lack of personal contacts to get hold of tickets and financial constraints like the one you mentioned makes it tough.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: November 06, 2012, 01:23:00 AM »
I did it once in the heat of the moment. I don't know whether it matters if I say I'm sorry and regret it with every fiber of my body? As for the linesmen I said I wish him the worst - I was having in mind not being allowed to ref any time soon.

As for slagging the players. I think of the internet forums as a place that fills a lot of functions. Predominantly entertaining informed debated and discussions, but sometimes I think of it as a valve to let out some steam. It is hard to see us go into such an important game and watch players who make more money in a month I do in a year miss out on sitter after sitter.

As for the insulting part I guess it's each to his own an'all. My perception is that it is ME who have had to put up with your superior tone telling any opposing poster he or she doesn't possess a tenth of your mighty knowledge. I'm not saying that's how it actually was, just how it struck me. Either way it takes two to tango as you probably know so here's me willing to slate the sheet clean by extending my apologies for anything I might have said that offended you. In the future I'm willing to bite the tounge for the sake of the atmosphere in this place, which I rate highly. I can't promise I won't let out some steam every know and then. I'll do me best.

that's fair enough, and  I appreciate your words and sentiment.

I too am prepared to wipe the slate clean.

It is very hard to forget the insults - edward and you have nasty tongues.  And truth be told, if you said some of these things to me, in real life, I would let fly with a haymaker.   My rule of thumb is that I never post  something online, that I would not be prepared to say to the person's face.   Online/anonymous insults are for kids.  Adults are (or should be) above that.

but this forum has always been a place where there was good honest debate, with no real bickering, and lots of humour and intelligence. 

and I would like that to return.  So let's discuss issues and get back to normality.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: November 06, 2012, 05:31:30 PM »
Don't blaspheme Ray. Didn't you know we have the worst record in the history of this game? Didn't you know we have an inexperienced manager who couldn't win a game in League 2? I for one won't put it beyond us to win our next 4 homegames. Not saying it'll happen, just that it could. Next weekend we'll get trashed tho.

Actualy Martin, I was quite surprised by our position in that table. Of course it will change and hopefully upwards. As you probably know I prefer to look at things through optimistic eyes as I feel it serves no useful purpose to look through negative ones.

I can't change anything so I don't worry about our position. The players seem to have confidence in the manager unlike Man City and Spurs where mumurings of discontent have surfaced.

As for getting trashed at the weekend I don't think that will happen. We still have enough quality to not concede a cricket score and aren't arrogant enough to continue to attack when we're 2 or more behind like Manure did against City last season.

Que sera sera.  :D
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: November 06, 2012, 06:48:22 PM »
LOL, Stevie at his worst!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-2BAst_Ho1-k/UJkcHTf2b-I/AAAAAAAABcU/IvZoT4cTSvE/s350/GERRARD.gif

Technical perfection, not a great idea though given the positioning
of everyone else on the pitch!

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: November 06, 2012, 07:39:06 PM »

It is very hard to forget the insults - edward and you have nasty tongues.  And truth be told, if you said some of these things to me, in real life, I would let fly with a haymaker.   My rule of thumb is that I never post  something online, that I would not be prepared to say to the person's face.   Online/anonymous insults are for kids.  Adults are (or should be) above that.

but this forum has always been a place where there was good honest debate, with no real bickering, and lots of humour and intelligence. 

and I would like that to return.  So let's discuss issues and get back to normality.

I'd have no problems saying the things I said online to you, to your face. Because I meant every single word.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: November 06, 2012, 08:45:54 PM »
It really doesn't matter what any of us say in here, negative, positive or just downright neutral as it won't make  jot of diffrence to a single player or the manager. I somehow doubt they even know this place exists.

I actually like it when things get a bit tasty. It proves the depth of feeling we have for the club, and to me at least, there's no doubting the depth of love for this club every single one of us has. As we all have diffrent personalities, we all see things diffrently, that's not a bad thing. Between us all we'll be somewhere near being right about most things.

We'd make a good team, all of us together. There'd be a few cases of handbags, a few handshakes but no lack of spirit.

I'd rather we all gave our honest views and allow and ask that of eachother.

For one, I always admire Ray's optimism, partly because I can't help being brutally realistic. Good or bad reality is what it is, but sometimes it would be nice to smooth the sharp edges.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: November 06, 2012, 10:00:11 PM »
I'd have no problems saying the things I said online to you, to your face. Because I meant every single word.

you're a hard man behind a keyboard.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: November 06, 2012, 10:08:38 PM »
you're a hard man behind a keyboard.
I picture him like Rocky on the punchbag,
remorselessy tapping those keys to stay
as mean as he is  ;D

Pham there goes the return key!
and another!
the backspace jabs are landing now! 
Oooh the ctrl-alt-del combo!
 ;D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: November 06, 2012, 10:21:13 PM »
I picture him like Rocky on the punchbag,
remorselessy tapping those keys to stay
as mean as he is  ;D

Pham there goes the return key!
and another!
the backspace jabs are landing now! 
Oooh the ctrl-alt-del combo!
 ;D

:D

he's probably in upper-sixth, studying for his A Levels, and posts when his mum lets him use the laptop.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: November 07, 2012, 01:37:57 PM »

he's probably in upper-sixth, studying for his A Levels, and posts when his mum lets him use the laptop.

No actually. I am a 31 year old male, who owns his own house in Cambridge and earns above £25k a year, but carry on.

If I am in upper-sixth as you say that would make me 17 or 18. I known Martinmarx since 2001 and have chatted to him on a regular basis since then on the old .tv boards and various forums, so that would mean I'd have been 6 or 7 in 2001. But yeah whatever you say.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: November 08, 2012, 12:48:05 PM »

You find, I presume, your ways mature, justified, funny, filled and spurred on by the sole intent of promoting a good in-forum climate? How generous of you and Ed.