October 23, 2019, 04:57:24 PM

Author Topic: Season 2012-2013  (Read 271645 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2012-2013
« Reply #750 on: November 14, 2012, 02:29:24 PM »
In general I thought his delivery was through gritted teeth
on the first half performance (my impression)

"25 passes back to the same bit"

But it's his bit on Andy Carroll in the review of the Newcastle vs West Ham game:

"If I was anything to do with Liverpool he'd still be in my side"

You can find it here (scroll down the page to the video section they do all the MOTD stuff!):

http://mysoccerplace.net/

Anyway, I find it much easier to listen to Alan Hansen on the subject of LFC
then the gaffer is all.

thanks for that great link, Ed.

I tried that previous day to  watch the Match of the Day clip.  But I got distracted by something else (I might have fallen asleep, twas late).  Gonna try and watch it today.

Great website.  Mucho gracious for the link.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: November 14, 2012, 07:54:36 PM »
if those were the best bits, I'd definitely sell him!

;)

Harsh, but funny.  :D
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: November 14, 2012, 08:56:06 PM »
Just read this:

After having played 11 games last season, we had an average of 55.9% of possession. After 11 games this season, we have an average of 57.4% possession.

In terms of minutes with the ball, this means that we’ve had the ball roughly 15minutes longer so far this season than we had at the same point last season.

We have, however, scored exactly the same number of goals after 11 games this season as we had last – 14.

Combining time with the ball and goals scored, we can see that last season we were scoring a goal every 39 minutes in possession. This season we need a little longer with the ball to score, but not very much – a little over 40 minutes per goal. So, however ineffective we may be perceived to be with the ball this season, we were not doing very much better at the same point in 2011.

Where there is a big difference, however, is goals conceded. Last season, after 11 games, opposition teams were scoring 1 goal against us every 43 minutes that they had possession. This season, they only need the ball 26 minutes to score a goal.

The difference this season is much less our ability to score goals when we have the ball, and much more our ability to stop the opposition scoring when they win it back.

However:

Is this last year when we had Caroll, Maxi, Bellamy, Kuyt and Suarez that your on about? This year we have erm?

Does that mean we've actually improved then?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: November 14, 2012, 09:55:29 PM »
Congratulations to Gerrard for getting his 100th cap - now retire and leave Hodgey to inadvertently scuttle that particular stinking ship.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: November 14, 2012, 11:06:10 PM »
looking at that data, Tes, it seems that for all the pansying about we are doing with the ball, with endless needless passes, back, sideways, through hoops, under bridges....for all that endless passing, we have only over one percent better possession levels than under Kenny!

in fact, with all the fannying about we are doing, we are now conceding soft goals at the back (which will always be a result of fannying about with the ball, at any level of football).

there, I have injected some much needed pessimism into things, Mr McCartney, lest this optimism thing would catch on.   ;)

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: November 17, 2012, 01:17:46 AM »
Point above Wigan in the table (Yey!)

& a whopping 3 points above them in the form table (note to ASI  :) ).

Will the internationals affect the players?

Presumably this is counteracted by the spirit BR has festered
among the group and momentum from the Chelsea game &
the moment our season turned for the better (when Mata
missed the sitter!).

Both managers (and arguably chairmen) with points to prove.

I see them scoring, I see us creating chances on the back of
being the home team. Suppose the result boils down to whether
we take our chances. Result kindof up in the air 2-2 draw!  :)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: November 17, 2012, 10:45:52 AM »
Will the internationals affect the players?

That's the  big worry and probable explanation for us struggling to beat 'the fodder'.
It would be interesting to see a table of matches played after international breaks, who we played and how we fared, going back over 10 seasons.

We need to start winning at home otherwise it will become 'a mental thing' and Anfield will become our nemesis.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: November 17, 2012, 10:52:23 AM »
we get a normal Saturday 3pm kick-off time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: November 17, 2012, 11:39:14 AM »
we get a normal Saturday 3pm kick-off time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's so passe or pre Premier League/Sky generation.  ;D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: November 17, 2012, 01:23:20 PM »
That's so passe or pre Premier League/Sky generation.  ;D

BarnStoneworth United was my era   :D

http://youtu.be/S9KXrRUZqtw

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: November 17, 2012, 06:09:11 PM »
Great result....suarez is on fire at the mo! Would be nice to have Huntelaar there too...

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: November 17, 2012, 07:15:44 PM »
Agreed Bart. Best performance of the season. The injury to Suso helped as Henderson played very well apparently.

Credit to Rogers. That's two games running he's made tactical changes and they've both worked. And Enrico played a blinder too. It's almost a given Suarez does it every game.

Let's hope the owners fund the Huntelaar move.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: November 17, 2012, 08:40:54 PM »
Agreed Bart. Best performance of the season. The injury to Suso helped as Henderson played very well apparently.

Credit to Rogers. That's two games running he's made tactical changes and they've both worked. And Enrico played a blinder too. It's almost a given Suarez does it every game.

Suarez is a better all-round striker than Torres. If Atletico come sniffing if they sell Falcao to Chelsea, they can give us all the Falcao money or (at least) £60M. Enrique's equalled his Newcastle record in a season and a third, prolific.

Another excellent result for Steve Clarke. It just makes you wonder how little influence Dalglish let him have on team matters last season in comparison to his half season. I would how much better we'd be (at least defensively) if Clarke had stayed and become Rodgers' assistant.

It's good to see us with a positive goal difference also.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 08:43:55 PM by Tes »

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: November 17, 2012, 09:34:44 PM »

7 on the trot unbeaten, that's more like it. Anxious first half where we never really threatened and I was worried we'd end up with yet another 0-0 or 1-1 draw. Sterling did very well to capitalize on that sloppy pass to set up Suarez for an extremly well taken 1-0. Didn't understand Suso got injured, rather thought he was a waste of space. In any case that was one of Henderson's better performances in a red shirt. His impact was immidiate and lasted throughout the game. Also want to make a special mention for Enrique who looks to be back to his best. One brilliant assist and a well taken goal makes him my MOTM.

I wouldn't agree, however ASI, this was our best performance of the season. We were much better against both United and Citeh, I would even say Chelsea. Swansea and the Jews away next. If we can get maximum points from those games we'll be in for 4th with a shout come Chrimbo.

You do not go anywhere in life without experience. This team had absolutely no experience of winning before the season started, yet people demanded they win every game. Now that they start to get it you will also see a more  mature and *cough* *cough* balanced side develop.

Onwards, upward. Well done you Red Men!!!
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: November 17, 2012, 09:45:31 PM »
Suarez is one off his tally for the whole of last season and its only November.

Seems DUDE, that Rodgers has figured out how to get the best out of Suarez. Not bad from such a supposedly crappy manager eh DUDE.