October 25, 2020, 08:14:15 AM

Author Topic: Season 2012-2013  (Read 405194 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2012-2013
« Reply #810 on: November 25, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
I haven't come full circle on Carroll. I still believe he'd be an asset to our squad and that we should have kept him. We were foolish to not replace him in the squad.

If the cash from Henderson meant we could buy a striker and/or an creative wide player I'd do it in a heartbeat. Doesn't mean I don't think any less of him as  a footballer, although I don't think he has progressed and developed as we wanted. He needs to develop the mental side of his game to stay here long term. He won't displace Allen, Lucas or Gerrard in the team (whatever we think of Gerrard). So for me he'd be expendable if we can use the money for other areas.

How many times do I have to reiterate that point to you?

changing your opinion is fine.

an admission that you called it wrong re henderson and carroll is fine.

the problem is when you fire personal abuse at others who do not hold your view.

your views, which you express with aggressiveness, do change (often full circle).  But when you adopt a new view on any issue, you then start firing nastiness from your new perspective. 

show some humility, and acknowledge that you called it wrong (and were nasty with it)
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: November 25, 2012, 04:33:49 PM »
Wigan (h), Swansea (a) and Spurs (a)

We took 0-points from those games last season and we are already +4 for this season.

We are improving from under Kenny.

From January 2012 to May 2012: W5 - D3 - L11 = 18 points from 19 games

From August 2012 to November 2012: W3 - D7 - L3 = 16 points from 13 games

We're also unbeaten in 8 games, something Kenny didn't achieve in 2012 as we lost 1 in every 2 games.

strange choice of data collections (very contrived i.e. selective and pure propaganda).

why don't you compare like with like

e.g.  Kenny's  August 2011 - November 2011     versus    Brendan's August 2012 - November 2012

or maybe even better to look at:

e.g. 2.... Kenny's first three months in charge, versus Brendan's first three months in charge.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: November 25, 2012, 04:40:14 PM »
How is it contrived when it is data from the 2012 calendar year?!?!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: November 25, 2012, 05:04:28 PM »
it would be less contrived if you compared like with like.

e.g. much better if you went with your initial analysis - using particular fixture comparisons e.g. how we performed home and away against Swansea (or whoever) in 2011-12 season, compared to this season.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: November 25, 2012, 08:07:37 PM »
strange choice of data collections (very contrived i.e. selective and pure propaganda).

why don't you compare like with like

e.g.  Kenny's  August 2011 - November 2011     versus    Brendan's August 2012 - November 2012

or maybe even better to look at:

e.g. 2.... Kenny's first three months in charge, versus Brendan's first three months in charge.

Too short a time period to make an comparative assessment on which to draw any relevant and significant conclusions in either direction.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: November 25, 2012, 08:18:46 PM »
My two cents:

*Disappointing draw. We really could've done with back to back wins but margins were against us as per usual.
*It was a rather inconsistent performance opposite to last week's win where we looked off in the first half but came out to win it comfortably in the second half. Today we were on top of the game for large parts of the first half while we faded seriously in the second making it a fair result.
*Henderson, compared to himself, had another OK performance.
*Downing's clumsyness almost had Reina injured for life.
*Sterling shockingly poor last 25 and I am really critical of Brendan for giving him a 90 minute run out. His inability to set up Suarez with the easiest of passes in a 2-1 situation 3-4 minutes from time probably cost us 3 points. Not good enough!!! He took the shot that hit the bar very well tho.
*Nor is Suarez' decision to take a shot from a poor angle instead of setting Henderson up clear infront of goal 7 yards out. Even he would've scored that (at least he could've).
*It may be the hectic Schedule but I thought we looked content with a point with 10-15 to go which is not acceptable at all.
*Enrique looked lively and will regret his goal was disallowed altho it was a tough call, admittedly. He's really enjoying his footy and is adding a new dimension to the team over the past couple of games. Long may it continue.
*The level of unforced errors was alarming throughout most of the game with Gerrard and Allen the biggest sinners.
*Better teams than us will drop points at the Liberty Stadium. They really play fine footy.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: November 25, 2012, 08:21:57 PM »
hmmm ok we played 4-5-1 today ...
and somehow Downing got a game again...i watched him on thursday night and was amazed that he could be called a professional footballer but hey, what do i know?
i saw some report that wenger wanted to BUY him for 10 mil...and if that is the case then all that praying i've been doing for the last year has paid off...

also saw something about a 40 mil clause in suarez's contract?? it'll be interesting to see who we bring in in january...cos if it doesn't impress suarez and stinks of hesitancy and fudge like the last 2 transfer windows then there might be a few late bids and he could leap...then that 7 point 'gap' between us and relegation would suddenly look rather narrower.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: November 25, 2012, 08:58:58 PM »
i saw some report that wenger wanted to BUY Henderson for 10 mil...and if that is the case then all that praying i've been doing for the last year has paid off...

;D ;D

also saw something about a 40 mil clause in suarez's contract?? it'll be interesting to see who we bring in in january...cos if it doesn't impress suarez and stinks of hesitancy and fudge like the last 2 transfer windows then there might be a few late bids and he could leap...then that 7 point 'gap' between us and relegation would suddenly look rather narrower.

yes, our players are not far off being totally shod of confidence.  And it would take very little for them to dip and go on another long run of bad form - like the one dalglish went on after Christmas, this time last year.   At that point dalglish did not merely hit bottom three form, he hit bottom 1 form.

I will breathe a lot more easily when we get to 40 plus points.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: November 25, 2012, 09:04:50 PM »
You seriously think we'll finish below QPR, Southampton, Reading, West Ham, Aston Villa, Sunderland, Wigan, Stoke and Fulham.

Behave.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: November 25, 2012, 09:11:25 PM »
You seriously think we'll finish below QPR, Southampton, Reading, West Ham, Aston Villa, Sunderland, Wigan, Stoke and Fulham.

I didn't say that.

Behave.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: November 25, 2012, 09:49:52 PM »
Wigan (h), Swansea (a) and Spurs (a)

We took 0-points from those games last season and we are already +4 for this season.

We are improving from under Kenny.

From January 2012 to May 2012: W5 - D3 - L11 = 18 points from 19 games

From August 2012 to November 2012: W3 - D7 - L3 = 16 points from 13 games

We're also unbeaten in 8 games, something Kenny didn't achieve in 2012 as we lost 1 in every 2 games.

Yes there are too many draws but we need more goal-scorers in the team and I hope that in January we rectify that situation.

Edward, play fair, compare August 2011 - November 2011 with August 2012 - November 2012. That would show we've in fact started this season more slowly than last, but when we are able to compare Jan 2012 - May 2012 with Jan 2013 - May 2013 I'll bet we find we've had a much better second half to this season than we did last.

Not trying to prove anything other than what the figures actually show.

As we're not comparing like for like, compare Jan 2011 - May 2011 with Aug 2012 - Nov 2012. See what I mean, you can be selective and prove whatever angle you're trying to prove.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: November 25, 2012, 09:54:13 PM »
I will breathe a lot more easily when we get to 40 plus points.

Why will you breathe more easily then?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: November 25, 2012, 10:04:34 PM »
My two cents:

*Sterling shockingly poor last 25 and I am really critical of Brendan for giving him a 90 minute run out. His inability to set up Suarez with the easiest of passes in a 2-1 situation 3-4 minutes from time probably cost us 3 points. Not good enough!!! He took the shot that hit the bar very well tho.

Martin, you're going to need more patience with young (very young) players. This time it's Sterling, last time it was Suso. They're 17 and 18 respectively. They will make poor decisions, lack in judgement in certain situations and then produce a piece of magic. It's what you get with talented young players.

Patience my dear Martin, patience.

As we've said before, Rodgers has no choice, but it will stand us in good stead in the future having brought these young lads through. At least we're not seeing him sticking with Cole and Downing, sticking with experience, playing it safe, in order to preserve his job and put the future of the club second.

I'd rather see Sterling do something frustrating because he lacks experience than see Cole or Downing do the same, when they should know better but don't appear to. There's always an upside to Sterling, Downing? The closest you get is upside Down(ing).

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: November 25, 2012, 10:45:12 PM »
Why will you breathe more easily then?

I think we all know what Dude means.

It's not having a pop, after all it wasn't so long ago that Spurs brought in a younger manager, an inexperienced at top level manager (at least in the PL), highly rated manager, highly rated for getting an unfashionable team to overachieve, praised for the style of football his team played.

With a squad as thin as we have there's no guarentees it won't happen.

Not so long ago Villa were regularly finishing higher than what we have in the last 3 seasons, change of manager, and look what has happened since. Downward spirrals, even with changing manager, can be hard to arrest.

Hard to believe Newcastle were eyeing up CL qualification for most of last season, now they'll be looking over their collective shoulder for the rest of the season unless Pardew re-discovers last season's formula.

It can happen. 

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: November 25, 2012, 11:49:09 PM »
Martin, you're going to need more patience with young (very young) players. This time it's Sterling, last time it was Suso. They're 17 and 18 respectively. They will make poor decisions, lack in judgement in certain situations and then produce a piece of magic. It's what you get with talented young players.

Patience my dear Martin, patience.

As we've said before, Rodgers has no choice, but it will stand us in good stead in the future having brought these young lads through. At least we're not seeing him sticking with Cole and Downing, sticking with experience, playing it safe, in order to preserve his job and put the future of the club second.

I'd rather see Sterling do something frustrating because he lacks experience than see Cole or Downing do the same, when they should know better but don't appear to. There's always an upside to Sterling, Downing? The closest you get is upside Down(ing).

I wasn't having a pop at Sterling. I like him and the fact he's being played regurarly. However, he isn't excempt from criticism (I also praised his shot, remember?). I just noted he struggled during the final quarter of the game. Like they say, if you're good enough to play, you're old enough to play.