September 21, 2019, 02:08:32 PM

Author Topic: Season 2012-2013  (Read 252008 times)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2012-2013
« Reply #1965 on: February 21, 2013, 10:48:07 PM »
Another thing we really need to be more aware that sometimes we must just kick the ball into row z and not pass it out. As we saw tonight Zenit had their best chances through that.

Exactly. We're not that experienced as of yet. We were probably one of the least experienced sides in this round. It's also evident from this tie Brendan still have som homework to do in Europe.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: February 21, 2013, 10:53:38 PM »
Not just in europe but in the league too.

We must learn when the right time is to play it out and when to kick it out. It's all about the players knowing when the right time to do each is and that comes from management and coaching, so I do hope Brendan can see that.

Barcelona are the only team in the world to continually play it out however out of their back 4, 3 of them are world class footballers who can play plus the other is Puyol - who is a world class defender - who has knowledge and experience. So they can get away with it.

We haven't got world class footballers in our defence thus our chances of getting away with it our severely lessened.

Don't get me wrong I do believe that passing from the back is the right way to go to base our offense on, but as I said it's about knowing when to do it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 10:54:43 PM by Edward224 »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: February 21, 2013, 11:16:01 PM »
I'm not worried Ray. Either he can overcome his poor form (he has to sometime seeing as he's a very talented player) or it'll continue. In either case this game's all about the collective including the fans.

You wouldn't be bothered about his poor form continuing? That's an odd thing to say. How come, Martin?
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: February 21, 2013, 11:23:51 PM »
It was quite a bit earlier than that to be honest. He's not my man, he's the manager of Liverpool Football Club and as such deserves proper respect of which there's little in this place.

Martin, he may not be your man, but he was your choice, loud and clear, before the beauty pageant even began.
I understand you standing by him, well done.

Only just try to be a bit more supportive of him during the matches when you post.  :D

Your in match posts don't tally or fit with anything you write outside of the 90+ mins, and that's more than a tad confusing.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: February 21, 2013, 11:25:20 PM »
I can't remember that far back, sorry.

I know I shouldn't, but that's comedy gold. You've cheered me up after tonight.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: February 21, 2013, 11:26:51 PM »
But we would agree that if he's to put in a performance like he did against City at home it is most likely to be at Anfield? Do we agree that much? And do we agree that his performance in that match played quite some role to the overall performance of the team?

And do we agree, goal apart, that he got nowhere near it?  Anfield or not.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: February 21, 2013, 11:33:09 PM »
Again a highly avoidable mistake cost us dearly. Although I feel gutted for Carra it's beyond me how you can make such a mistake.

We gave it a chance but the poor substitutions Brendan made had the opposite effect. Shelvey missed another sitter. He's simply not good enough. I also wonder why he brought on Assaidi who haven't played for God knows how long. As it was we lost the rythm when both Allen and Henderson Went off. Our defence is shaky and whilst I think the intention to play the ball up we should be able to adapt to changing circumstances and go for the long ball the last 20 as they pinned us down pretty good in our own 3rd.

Like Chelsea last season they had Everything going for them and looking back at 180 minutes of football it was more our mistakes than their own making that saw them throurh. I think the better team went out but that happens.  The important thing is to learn from this and improve. The only positive thing I can find with games like this is that it helps making it clearer what players isn't good enough and what areas and aspects of our games need improving.

Dude, don't let Martin read your criticising our manager.

Hallelujah, finally it's been noticed our defending is still as non existant at this stage of the season as on day 1 against WBA. When is this going to change?
When is the defensive aspect of football going to be woven into the 'philosophy'. How many times has one goal been the difference, despite us conceding more than one?
We score more, we concede more. The more things change the more the overall effect remains the same.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: February 21, 2013, 11:38:25 PM »
He was just about to come on when we scored the 3rd. Brendan celebrated while Shelvey didn't blink an eye. Extremly low on confidence? As you say he looks alienated and just not "there". He may have been told he'll be gone in the summer.

Rodgers had been talking to him earlier on just before bringing him on. Shelvey barely realised he was. His head is somewhere else, and his performance was ponderous and lacklustre.
He can't moan being made a scapegoat then play like that. He just confirmed Rodgers' previous decisions not to play him were correct.
The manager gave him a chance to show something tonight. A Liverpool player takes that chance. Shelvey didn't. He's starting to disappoint and annoy me now. He needs to look at himself and ask himself if he really wants to be a Liverpool player.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: February 21, 2013, 11:46:35 PM »
Another thing we really need to be more aware that sometimes we must just kick the ball into row z and not pass it out. As we saw tonight Zenit had their best chances through that.

Agreed. Twice in the first half a quick throw from their keeper had them straight through on our defence in an instant.

Later in the first half Pepe fielded a header back, went to realise it quickly, out down our left by the look of it where Enrique had bombed forward into space, thten suddenly realised "I'm allowed to do that anymore" and just bowled it out, underarm to Carra, all of three yards away just outside the area.
The chance to turn Zenit around quickly, gone.

The playing out from the back is the right thing to do, sometimes, along with both a quick delivery forward from from Pepe, a quick ball into midfield followed by a quick through ball or sometimes, clear your lines, clear the danger, re-group and re-shape defensively. All work, dependant on the moment.
Always playing out is night the right choice all the time. Sometimes we bring un-neccessary pressure on ourselves doing it all the time.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: February 21, 2013, 11:56:24 PM »
Rodgers had been talking to him earlier on just before bringing him on. Shelvey barely realised he was. His head is somewhere else, and his performance was ponderous and lacklustre.
He can't moan being made a scapegoat then play like that. He just confirmed Rodgers' previous decisions not to play him were correct.
The manager gave him a chance to show something tonight. A Liverpool player takes that chance. Shelvey didn't. He's starting to disappoint and annoy me now. He needs to look at himself and ask himself if he really wants to be a Liverpool player.
Jonjo's a good lad.

My understanding is he took a bit of abuse on Twitter from
some fans and given his age, it may have affected him.
I thought his season lost momentum a good while back when
the gaffer started fecking his position around.

He probably needs to dig deep to try and salvage something
for himself this season (make the most of cameo appearances
in the last 10 minutes of games that are already won).

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: February 22, 2013, 12:04:02 AM »
Jonjo's a good lad.

My understanding is he took a bit of abuse on Twitter from
some fans and given his age, it may have affected him.
I thought his season lost momentum a good while back when
the gaffer started fecking his position around.

He probably needs to dig deep to try and salvage something
for himself this season (make the most of cameo appearances
in the last 10 minutes of games that are already won).

Tw@tter's got a lot to answer for.

As yet he's not really got a position carved out as such. I'm not sure where he sees his best position himself and I'm certain the manager's none the wiser either.
Either way, he needs to grab whatever chance, however short they may be. He did himself no favours tonight. 

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: February 22, 2013, 03:10:36 PM »

Hammer meets nail! Dang!!!
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: February 22, 2013, 05:34:15 PM »
We've 39 points with 11 games remaining (max 72 points).

3 big home games and some away ties against strugglers and
that's it really.

March
Wigan v Liv           Sat 2 Mar       17:30
Liv v Tottenham    Sun 10 Mar            16:00
Southampton v Liv   Sat 16 Mar            15:00
Aston Villa v Liv   Sun 31 Mar            13:30

April
Liv v West Ham   Sun 7 Apr       13:30
Reading v Liv   Sat 13 Apr    15:00
Liv v Chelsea   Sun 21 Apr    16:00
Newcastle v Liv   Sat 27 Apr    17:30

May
Liv v Everton   Sat 4 May       15:00
Fulham v Liv   Sun 12 May    15:00
Liv v QPR      Sun 19 May    16:00

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: February 22, 2013, 05:48:07 PM »
We've 39 points with 11 games remaining (max 72 points).

3 big home games and some away ties against strugglers and
that's it really.

March
Wigan v Liv           Sat 2 Mar       17:30
Liv v Tottenham    Sun 10 Mar            16:00
Southampton v Liv   Sat 16 Mar            15:00
Aston Villa v Liv   Sun 31 Mar            13:30

April
Liv v West Ham   Sun 7 Apr       13:30
Reading v Liv   Sat 13 Apr    15:00
Liv v Chelsea   Sun 21 Apr    16:00
Newcastle v Liv   Sat 27 Apr    17:30

May
Liv v Everton   Sat 4 May       15:00
Fulham v Liv   Sun 12 May    15:00
Liv v QPR      Sun 19 May    16:00

We have to finish 6th (at least) and hope the FA Cup final is contested by either 2x Top Four or the 5th place team in order to get back into Europe. It's massively important we get back into Europe. Missing out on European football for 2 out of the last 3 seasons really wouldn't be good for us, especially with the two main sponsorship deals being up for renewal reasonably soon.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: February 22, 2013, 06:14:37 PM »
Being in the europa or not will not be a factor in attracting players.

You think because we'll be in europa next season players we want to buy will come because of that? Be serious.

I'm sure not being on Channel 5 or ITV 3 or 4 next season will cause sleepless nights for our sponsors......

« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 06:16:19 PM by Edward224 »