October 16, 2019, 03:15:15 AM

Author Topic: Season 2012-2013  (Read 266055 times)

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2012-2013
« Reply #2205 on: March 18, 2013, 08:38:41 AM »
Times Match Report

by Alyson Rudd (Who by the way is a Liverpool fan  :-*)

Fancy having a go at the Liverpool Polka? It is tricky; a bit of a free-for-all. Two steps forward, one step back and then, suddenly, it is one step forward, two steps back. There is always at least one step back, though, just to keep you inside the barn. Just to keep the verdict on Brendan Rodgers’s tenure open to interpretation.

This defeat felt like a massive leap backwards. All the talk had been of how Liverpool were closing in on a top-four finish. Emphatic wins over Swansea City and Wigan Athletic and a fightback against Tottenham Hotspur hinted at a team finding their groove. Their groggy and disjointed performance at St Mary’s placed those victories in perspective.

Swansea had their minds on Wembley, Wigan do not always turn up and Tottenham, having dominated, made a couple of crass errors.

“We’re a team that is not quite on that level yet,” Rodgers said. But what does that actually mean? The Liverpool manager explained that he did not mean that his team lack the ability to fight back from a losing position but that “we’re not quite at the level when you make the bad start that we made against a good side, so early on, it’s very difficult.”

In other words, Rodgers does not believe that his side have what it takes to recover when they begin sourly against a bright and bouncy team.

This is a worrying analysis. It paints a picture of a team out of their depth, learning the ropes, capable of succumbing to insecurity — which are not terms readily associated with a club with such a rich and admirable history.

This was Liverpool at their worst. Anyone who wondered what might be wrong at Anfield need only have turned up on the South Coast.

Every flaw was exhibited. It felt like the moment Dorian Gray stands before his portrait with his worst traits cruelly exposed.

Steven Gerrard cannot be expected to pull on his Superman outfit for every game. The England captain has played every minute of every Barclays Premier League match this season and is entitled perhaps to put in a relatively lacklustre shift every now and again. But when he does, Rodgers seemingly has no idea how to compensate for it.

Gerrard played along side Joe Allen in the first half and the former Swansea player was so peripheral that the Liverpool captain was stretched out of position. It was unpleasant viewing. The lack of chemistry between Allen and Gerrard was grating, like having to listen to a couple sat opposite you on the train split up. Gerrard was clearly relieved when Lucas Leiva replaced Allen at half-time. The Brazil midfielder is disciplined and his arrival briefly perked up the attitude of all his team-mates.

There was something horribly wrong with Liverpool’s defence, despite it holding more promise than most in the league. A back line of Glen Johnson, Daniel Agger, Martin Skrtel and José Enrique ought to be solid and inventive, and indeed has been in the past, but Skirtel’s confidence has been shattered to the extent that his jitters are contagious. This leaves Liverpool in the peculiar position of badly missing a player widely regarded as well past his prime a year ago.

Jamie Carragher did not quite recover from a gashed shin in time to feature on Saturday and he probably felt embarrassed that his side mourned him so palpably.

Luis Suárez, strangely, did not even frighten Southampton and although Philippe Coutinho scored just before half-time, the Brazilian’s overall decision-making was poor. The travelling fans were also given an all too startling illustration of why Chelsea found Daniel Sturridge a frustrating player as little he attempted was properly executed.

Rodgers has the international break to ponder how the worst of his Liverpool team came to the fore. “We just have to go away now, lick our wounds and sit on it for a couple of weeks,” he said. “Today we let those standards slip a wee bit, so we just need to get back now and refocus on that and I’m sure we’ll see a different side against Aston Villa.”

One step forward again — but it ought to be time for Rodgers to take impressive strides in the right direction.

It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: March 18, 2013, 02:43:46 PM »
Poor diddums, Sahin a professional footballer is unwilling to play in a position he is not accustomed too.

Lucas - signed as an attacking midfielder and asked to play as a defensive midfielder.

Downing - signed as a left winger and was asked to play left back.

Henderson - signed as a central midfielder but has played mainly out wide.

Kuyt - signed as a striker but played predominantly out wide.

I'm sure there are many, many others who we have signed and asked to play out of position over the years. The difference is these players got on with it and never complained or sulked.

Oh yes let's look at how Kloop as been using Sahin.

84min sub
77min sub
Full Game
89min sub
82min sub
81min sub
82min sub
45min sub

However his quotes are no doubt lost in translation as is usually the case between one language to another.
Well his two goals and the 80,000 fans chanting his name at the
weekend sure aint getting lost in translation:

http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/features/130318/liverpool-let-player-go-spent-%C2%A315m-joe-allen-big-mistake-193886

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/borussia-dortmund-5-freiburg-1-all-goals/

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: March 18, 2013, 02:45:19 PM »
If Allen needs shoulder surgery then he needs to get it done asap. Playing with that sort of injury is an impediment to him and the team. If he was to fall ackwardly on it it could cause major complications to what can already be a difficult thing to sort out.

I think it's absolutely ridiculous to play Allen injured. Evidently the injury goes back to sometime in October after the Everton game, where i seem to remember Allen was very good. He can't be expected to perform to a high level if he's restricted. He needs the operation now and then he can be fit for next season and then maybe have a chance of rebuilding his much damaged reputation. Who's to blame for a delay of 6 months is what i'd like to know...

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: March 18, 2013, 03:16:13 PM »
Times Match Report

by Alyson Rudd (Who by the way is a Liverpool fan  :-* )

“We’re a team that is not quite on that level yet,” Rodgers said. But what does that actually mean? The Liverpool manager explained that he did not mean that his team lack the ability to fight back from a losing position but that “we’re not quite at the level when you make the bad start that we made against a good side, so early on, it’s very difficult.”

In other words, Rodgers does not believe that his side have what it takes to recover when they begin sourly against a bright and bouncy team.

This is a worrying analysis. It paints a picture of a team out of their depth, learning the ropes, capable of succumbing to insecurity — which are not terms readily associated with a club with such a rich and admirable history.

This was Liverpool at their worst. Anyone who wondered what might be wrong at Anfield need only have turned up on the South Coast.

Every flaw was exhibited. It felt like the moment Dorian Gray stands before his portrait with his worst traits cruelly exposed.

thanks for the Times article, Gurdeep.

yes, sure sounds like the Times football journalist has made up his mind about Rodgers.

I look upon this season as a season lost (just like the previous couple of seasons - of dalglish and hodgson).  And to lose yet another year, if Rodgers is allowed to continue in the dugout (as is likely to happen), is utterly depressing.

If anyone has long memories, and can recall the FA Cup semi-final at Villa Park in 1990, when Crystal Palace beat us 4-3

Or more recently, the 4-3 games against newcastle.

I see us in Groundhog Day mode.  We are playing the Palace semi over and over and over, each week.

It is madness, end to end stuff......and the winner is the team that perchance, happens to be ahead after 90 odd minutes.

If we had some balance, and built from the back, we wouldn't need 3 or 4 goals each game, to win matches.

And for goodness sake, I wish the lad in the dugout would realise that there are different phases in games, and arrange strategy accordingly.  Maybe some kind soul could show him a powerpoint presentation of how football matches evolve, and how to respond to different circumstances.

or even better, if some kind soul sent him packing down the road.  He needs to learn the ropes (if he ever can) at some lower level club.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: March 18, 2013, 03:17:32 PM »
I think it's absolutely ridiculous to play Allen injured.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: March 18, 2013, 03:35:42 PM »

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: March 18, 2013, 05:43:35 PM »

or even better, if some kind soul sent him packing down the road.  He needs to learn the ropes (if he ever can) at some lower level club.

if we have rodgers for another year we will be a lower level club...

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: March 18, 2013, 05:58:26 PM »
I'll help you out dude.

Michael Robinson is an ex red living in Spain!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: March 18, 2013, 06:25:55 PM »
I'll help you out dude.

Michael Robinson is an ex red living in Spain!

good call, edward!!

:D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: March 19, 2013, 12:06:55 AM »
We have conceded 2 goals or more 16 times this season in the league in 30 matches - that's 53% of matches played.

Out of those 16 matches we've won just 3 times and only 4 have been draws.

We've won 10 times scoring 2 goals or more and won 1-0 only twice.

For a team that has failed to score in only 5 league matches, therefore scoring in 25/30 or 83% of the time, we've won just 12 times or 48%.

Goals win you games but they also cost you them too as the above clearly illustrates.

Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: March 19, 2013, 02:36:00 AM »
excatly.

if we concede less, we don't have to score as many.

I recall playing up front, and running my guts out, to score.  And it was an achievement to do so.  It is very annoying then subsequently seeing a soft goal being conceded at the back.  You are back to square one.

it is all about balance.  Very few managers know how to build a properly balanced team. 

And I have seen no evidence, in his short career to date, that Rodgers has ever built a balanced side.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: March 19, 2013, 08:56:20 AM »
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tony Barrett (Times)
Published at 12:01AM, March 19 2013

Joe Allen looks set to miss the rest of the season after Liverpool brought forward plans for the midfielder to have surgery on a shoulder injury that has troubled him for several months.

The problem has had an increasingly negative effect on Allen’s form in recent weeks and his discomfort was so evident during Liverpool’s 3-1 defeat by Southampton on Saturday that he was substituted at half-time.

Having previously hoped that the 23-year-old would be able to continue playing through the pain, Liverpool have decided that Allen should have an at the earliest opportunity, and the likelihood is that surgery will take place this week.

Allen has withdrawn from the Wales squad for their forthcoming World Cup qualifying matches against Scotland and Croatia as a result and the expected recovery period of three months means that he is also highly unlikely to play for Liverpool again this season.

Allen passed up the opportunity to have the problem corrected when it first flared up last autumn because of his keenness to establish himself at Liverpool after his move from Swansea City. But with the injury becoming increasingly restrictive, the club’s medical staff determined that he should wait no longer.

Should he suffer no complications, Allen would be expected to return before pre-season training and would hope to be available for Liverpool’s summer tour to Indonesia, Thailand and Australia.

“It is something that needs sorting out,” Allen said recently. “I had an operation a few years ago and unfortunately it is a recurrence. It has slowly deteriorated to the point where an operation is the only thing that can solve it.”

Allen’s absence is likely to lead to increased first-team opportunities for Jordan Henderson, who has not started a Barclays Premier League match since Liverpool’s 2-0 home defeat by West Bromwich Albion five weeks ago.

The arrival of Daniel Sturridge and Philippe Coutinho during the January transfer window has led to Brendan Rodgers making tactical adjustments to his side, with Henderson losing his place. The England Under-21 captain has been limited to appearances as a substitute in Liverpool’s past three games but he claims the increased competition for places is healthy despite his own disappointment.

“I’ve just got to keep working hard,” he said. “Before Saturday, the team had been playing brilliantly so I can’t complain. Philippe Coutinho and Daniel Sturridge have both done really well since they came to the club and we’ve got good competition for places.

“You can’t really change a winning team, so I’ve understood why I’ve not played. I just have to make sure that when the manager needs me I’m ready to take my chance.”

A run of three straight league wins had raised hopes that Liverpool could mount a late challenge for Europa League qualification. Their 3-1 loss to Southampton at the weekend damaged those prospects, though, as it allowed fifth-placed Arsenal to open a five-point gap with a game in hand after their 2-0 win away to Swansea.

Despite that setback, Henderson still believes Liverpool are capable of snatching fifth place as long as they return to the promising form that characterised their performances before their visit to St Mary’s Stadium.

“It was a big disappointment against Southampton but Europe’s not gone yet,” Henderson said. “We’ve still got eight games to play and that’s a lot of points to play for.

“We’ve still got to play some of the teams above us so we have to keep going. We have to pick ourselves up from this and ensure we respond positively against Aston Villa after the international break.”
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: March 19, 2013, 11:18:09 PM »

I've not seen anything anywhere despite looking, but I'd hazard a guess it's his left shoulder looking at that picture.

Half way up the line of his shoulder where it starts to rise (in comparison to the right shoulder where the line is straight from top of his arm to the collar of his shirt) is the area over the acromioclavicular joint and I'd guess that's what he's having the op on. It's an absolute b'stard pain wise so I can understand why his performance has dropped off but it should have been sorted earlier as the longer it's left the harder it can be to sort.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: March 20, 2013, 05:03:00 PM »
I hear our Danish CB talking out of his arsee today suggesting Brendan Rodgers is a good manager that will win this club silverware in time. Guess he proved once and for all he doesn't have the first clue about this game.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 05:07:40 PM by Martinmarx »
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: March 20, 2013, 07:03:41 PM »
I hear our Danish CB talking out of his arsee today suggesting Brendan Rodgers is a good manager that will win this club silverware in time. Guess he proved once and for all he doesn't have the first clue about this game.

what did you expect him to say?

we all have friends in our places of work, that we like, but who are sh.ite at their jobs.

plus (and most importantly) the LAST person you want to ask about football management is a footballer.

players are notoriously thick (even the best ones) when it comes to analysing football.