November 18, 2019, 08:58:34 PM

Author Topic: Season 2012-2013  (Read 281852 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2012-2013
« Reply #2460 on: May 13, 2013, 03:25:41 PM »
Another self made business man who thinks because he stood on the terraces as a boy he knows it all. What he expected Mick McCarthy to achieve, I just don't get.
To keep Wolves in the division on the budget he was given was always going to be tougher than tough. Wolves are the kind of club that have to bounce between the Premier League and Championship and gradually build. WBA are the perfect example of how to do it.

I like Mick McCarthy. He's maybe not the best coach but he's straight and honest and how players can't play for someone like that is a disgrace.

I wonder which no-chancer gets appointed at Wolves next. Morgan needs to understand that he has to build a stable club and be patient whilst they gradually build their way to promotion. Swansea are a great example of that, having gradually built their way up and out of the Championship.

Huw Jenkins is exactly the sort of common sense chairman/MD/CEO we need. I've huge admiration for him (you can probably tell from the amount I've mentioned him previously  ;D ).

Here's a great piece about him. Humble as Hell and twice as talented:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21535027

apologies, Tes.  I had not seen your above post.

yes, I am a big fan of Mick McCarthy too.  I always have been , since his excellent time as manager of the Rep of Ireland.  He too that team to the pinnacle _ IIRC they were 11th or 15th ranked in the world at one point (the FIFA rankings).

yes, what Morgan hoped to achieve by sacking Mick is anyone;s guess.  I just never took to Morgan.  He likes  controversy and limelight too much.....especially hard to stomach when the bloke who knows feck all.

Huw Jenkins is new to me.  I need to look out more for him.  You do seem to like him.  :)

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: May 18, 2013, 12:45:33 AM »
Geez, I'd hate to be Brendan's wife,

I have visions of him hunched over Carra videos
at home drooling and repeating over and
over "& Jamie Carragher...Jamie Carragher..."

Anyway, last presser this season!

http://www.merseyreds.com/2013/05/17/brendan-rodgers-full-pre-qpr-press-conference-video/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=brendan-rodgers-full-pre-qpr-press-conference-video&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: May 18, 2013, 01:02:45 PM »
me too, Ed.

Brent's over-the-top lauding of Carra, is cringeworthy.

he's a political animal, is our Brent.  He keeps core people onside, like Carra and Gerrard.  Anyone else, well they can go to hell, unless they can aid and abet his own personal ambitions.

the bloke is so transparent.  And this notion that Carra has a ob at anfield, anytime that he wants it.  Feck off.  The club need to employ the best people, and via transparent employment procedures.

and remember back to the anfield game against swansea......and he was waiting to shake everybody';s hand, as they came off and were approaching the changing rooms, after the game.

of course it helped that there was a camera close at hand, to cover this spectacle - Brent has so many friends, you know.

don't get me wrong, I like our attacking style.    But unless there is balance, we are going nowhere.  We will be in this very same position, this time next year.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 01:04:00 PM by the dude abides »
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: May 18, 2013, 03:17:14 PM »
me too, Ed.

Brent's over-the-top lauding of Carra, is cringeworthy.
I honestly think he'd talk about Carra all day, the tune changes
a bit when he's asked about the Europa League and Andy Carroll.

Anyway, Jamie deserves a decent send off after the QPR game but
I don't have a clue why he's in the side ahead of Martin Skrtel, tbh?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: May 18, 2013, 05:20:50 PM »
I honestly think he'd talk about Carra all day, the tune changes
a bit when he's asked about the Europa League and Andy Carroll.

Anyway, Jamie deserves a decent send off after the QPR game but
I don't have a clue why he's in the side ahead of Martin Skrtel, tbh?

agreed.

Carra was done 3 or 4 years ago.

it's no wonder we have been shipping goals so easily this year, when Carra is at the heart of our defence.

it is scary to think of the likes of Reina and Skrtel being sold this summer.

on the top of losing top lads like Kuyt, Bellamy and Maxi Rodriguez, last year.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: May 18, 2013, 05:42:31 PM »
agreed.

Carra was done 3 or 4 years ago.
Around the time he was busy ousting Rafa and negotiating
a lucrative new contract for himself with the club days away
from administration.  ;D

Compare and contrast Rafa's treatment of Terry with Rodgers eulogies
of Carra  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: May 18, 2013, 07:48:31 PM »
Geez, I'd hate to be Brendan's wife,

At least if he utters 'Jamie' during sex she'll probably feel a touch less threatened than most wives with the husband uttering a different name.  :D
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: May 18, 2013, 07:55:51 PM »
Taken from, when talking about next season: http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/130518/exclusive-%E2%80%93-brendan-rodgers-liverpool-should-be-top-four-club-next-seaso-1978

"“Obviously this is a football club that has a demand for trophies, so if we could get a trophy by then as well that would be great progress for us."

So what did last season's trophy indicate, and conversely, this season's lack of one, say?

Also from the same interview:

"“It’s very important to see the development in the team because there’s been a lot of change at the club, but there’s a lot of great work that has been done and we’re very motivated."

"I'm not one to blow my own trumpet or sing my own praises, but.........".

After reading the full interview, "running before you've learned to walk" seems to be at the front of my thoughts for some bizarre reason.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: May 18, 2013, 08:24:38 PM »
"“Obviously this is a football club that has a demand for trophies, so if we could get a trophy
by then as well that would be great progress for us.
"

So what did last season's trophy indicate, and conversely, this season's lack of one, say?
I hope we get the win tomorrow but I'm a tad concerned
about a few things:

Underperforming in and now running scared from the Europa League.

Poor showing in domestic cup competitions.

Sticking Carra back in the side for half the season, when it serves no
useful mid term goal for the club (unless recent playing experience as
a Sky pundit is one).

The lack of any pressure games in the latter half of the season.

The continuing centre stage influence of Stevie G.

Ok it's a pessimistic take, but there is NO disguising our strategy for
next season which is to take advantage of the top clubs commitments in
Europe to chip away at their league points.

BR'll dress up the progress that has been made going forward but he
cherry picks and spins things, the whole picture is less positive imo and the strategy
is his old Swansea one (and arguably a small club one).

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: May 18, 2013, 09:12:51 PM »
I hope we get the win tomorrow but I'm a tad concerned
about a few things:

Underperforming in and now running scared from the Europa League.

Poor showing in domestic cup competitions.

Sticking Carra back in the side for half the season, when it serves no
useful mid term goal for the club (unless recent playing experience as
a Sky pundit is one).

The lack of any pressure games in the latter half of the season.

The continuing centre stage influence of Stevie G.

Ok it's a pessimistic take, but there is NO disguising our strategy for
next season which is to take advantage of the top clubs commitments in
Europe to chip away at their league points.

BR'll dress up the progress that has been made going forward but he
cherry picks and spins things, the whole picture is less positive imo and the strategy
is his old Swansea one (and arguably a small club one).

Ed, it's not a 'pessimistic take', it's a reality, and none of us are to blame for what we see. I think it's an accurate summing up of where we are, and it feels like a small club mentality to hope we can progress because the 'big boys' are tied up with European competition. We should be beating ourselves up about not being on either European stage instead of seeing it as some 'bizarre positive'. 

There's been no long term gain from playing Carra who won't be here in August. If this was to be written off as a season of 'transition' and 'building foundations' then it should have been used as such and the likes of Coates given an extended run to see whether our future will be with him or without. We knew where we would be as far as Carra was concerned. I could accept inconsistency if we were trying things out in order to shape a future direction which brought surety and stability in the medium and into the long term.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: May 19, 2013, 01:37:27 PM »

So what did last season's trophy indicate, and conversely, this season's lack of one, say?[size=78%].......[/size]

There's been no long term gain from playing Carra who won't be here in August. If this was to be written off as a season of 'transition' and 'building foundations' then it should have been used as such and the likes of Coates given an extended run to see whether our future will be with him or without. We knew where we would be as far as Carra was concerned. I could accept inconsistency if we were trying things out in order to shape a future direction which brought surety and stability in the medium and into the long term.

according to the sermon from ye great leader, we have made great strides.  We are making wonderful progress.  This attitude is also being repeated by the great unwashed.  If Saint Brendan says it, it must be true.

OK, we were out of all the competitions early, and we struggled for most of the season, to even emulate the league position that the sacked Sir Kenny achieved but one year ago.  We had our worst opening start to a season ever, in our 121 year history.    But Saint Brendan says it is progress.  I am unsure of the destination that he has in mind, if this is progress.

And as for Carra.  Yes, if we were making big transitoonal changes this season, then why was Carra playing such a prominent part in the centre of our defence. 

Witness today, even in Fergie's last game managing United, he has dropped his two centrebacks, all for the sake of trying out what he thinks is the future.

As he rightly says: "I will play one or two younger players, and I want to play Jonny Evans and Phil Jones at centre-half because they are the future. Nemanja (Vidic) and Rio (Ferdinand) will just have to make do with a place on the bench."   Now that's GENUINE management of change.

I guess we're stuck with our chump for one more year.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: May 19, 2013, 01:44:25 PM »
Around the time he was busy ousting Rafa

Compare and contrast Rafa's treatment of Terry with Rodgers eulogies
of Carra  ;D

exactly.

the last people that I would take managerial or coaching advice from, would be carra and gerrard.

like a class of kids, the boss has to keep them fully under control.

or else, one or two start to dominant and get ideas way above their station.

a key reason why liverpool have under-performed these past ten years, has been the prominent position afforded to carra and gerrard in the team.   When they are fit, they are considered almost undroppable.

no man is undroppable.  Indeed, it is all about team, not individual.  Look at how we have been scoring for fun without Suarez.  Look at how Henderson has looked so much more impressive in games when Gerrard is not in the side. 

the building of a team is key.  But i suspect this is a notion well beyond our 39 year old blabber-mouth.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: May 20, 2013, 08:24:21 PM »

Rodgers says: "He's a player who, because of his leadership qualities and his warrior spirit, a lot of his technical qualities get overlooked.

"Everyone talks about his blocking but he can pass. His weight of pass into the correct foot, his cushioned headers, his touch.

"You talk about British centre-halves not being able to play football but here's someone who's a world-class player who can defend and play."
_______________________________________ _

listen, I am (and always have been) a massive fan of Jamie.  But I do not believe for a minute that even Jamie would call himself "world-class".   And I was reading some other newspaper pundit last week saying that for a time, Jamie was one of Europe's finest centre-halves.

Way way over-the-top rubbish.

And Brent reckons Jamie was technically superb and was a great passer of the ball.  Well, feck me, but I remember him hoofing the ball 90 percent of the time, from back to front.

To listen to Brent, you;d think Beckenbeur was retiring.  And my goodness, how will we ever replace Jamie.  How will we find someone of his speed and technical abilities. 

The mind boggles at the rubbish that comes out of the bloke's mouth.  If he genuinely believes this BS, then I would be very concerned.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: May 20, 2013, 11:53:07 PM »
listen, I am (and always have been) a massive fan of Jamie. 
Circa 2005. That would be the Carra I was happy to see get a good
send off yesterday.

Not sure how political he came in his latter days and the Sky pundit thing makes me want to vomit.
In danger of becoming or cultivating a TV personality/caricature - Show Business!

Sami Hyypia there's a player I have total respect for. Quiet lad, gave us the best years of his football career.
Is a manager now in the Bundesliga.Enough said.

As for Brendan's eulogies, I agree the mind boggles. He rode the Young Raheem wave in the first half of
the season (he's only 17, don't you know for the 100th time) and the Old Carra wave in the second. Whatever
floats his dinghy...

Been talking this week about top 4 next season...mind he was chirping about being in them to win them in
relation to the cup competitions this season...before his memorable explanation of his true
personal beliefs about such possibilities.

I can kind of understand the Pardews & Moyes's of this world grumbling about European commitments,
given the limited ambitions of their clubs, but for a Liverpool manager to be so obviously petrified of the
ramifications of a European campaign during his second season in charge...well it kind of says it all really
about our current position amongst the games elite.

The logic is clear, no European commitments plus far greater resources than all but 5 of the teams in the
league would suggest 6th is the minimum expectation next season. The crazily optimistic will talk of 3rd
and pessimistic 8th. None of it can disguise our distance from the summit and the amount of hard work
needed to return us there.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: May 22, 2013, 07:41:18 PM »
As for Brendan's eulogies, I agree the mind boggles. He rode the Young Raheem wave in the first half of
the season (he's only 17, don't you know for the 100th time) and the Old Carra wave in the second. Whatever
floats his dinghy...

The logic is clear, no European commitments plus far greater resources than all but 5 of the teams in the
league would suggest 6th is the minimum expectation next season. The crazily optimistic will talk of 3rd
and pessimistic 8th. None of it can disguise our distance from the summit and the amount of hard work
needed to return us there.

agreed re big Sami Hyppia.....a True red - intelligent, quiet, humble, keeps his own counsel, doesn;t need to be near a camera or mic.

Rodgers thinks that he is being smart.  But those with brains see right through him 

yes, we have so much more resources than 75 percent of the premiership...and being out of the cups early (and no european business next season), there is simply no excuse for our low performance levels.

sadly, he gets another season, before he gets found out

and someone like Rafa, who is free, gets overlooked  The mind boggles at the poor ownership we have in place.

reminds me - i was watching a documentary the other night - a BBC show about prime time tv in america.  And one of those being interviewed was Tom Werner.  I never realised he was producer of the Bill Cosby Show. 

Made me realise why our owners are so keen to have Liverpool on yankee tv - with that bizarre Being Liverpool show.  They have the links to tv already in place, via Werner.    So what does the producer of the Cosby Show know about football.  Bugger all.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 07:43:35 PM by the dude abides »