October 14, 2019, 04:34:31 PM

Author Topic: Europa League Campaign 2012/2013  (Read 45890 times)

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Europa League Campaign 2012/2013
« on: August 11, 2012, 06:59:53 PM »
So we beat the Gomel 4-0 on aggregate, 3-0 the other night at Anfield.

Reminds me of our Carling cup campaign last year, taking it so seriously
early on (or maybe the gaffer was just treating it as a more competitive
preseason workout for the guts of the 1st team).

However 19 (half a season) more games required in order to win it, so despite
the prestige of winning a trophy in Europe the obvious question concerns the
amount of 1st team resources we're going to devote to it, bearing in mind the
Thursday night fixtures and our league ambitions.

Ideally, imo, we'd leave it to Stevie (icon) and Carra (stalwart) to lead a bunch of
fringe players and youth prospects through the early stages (induct them into
European football, so to speak) and conserve the energies of our prize assets,
Lucas, Suarez and the likes of Reina and the two CBs for the league campaign?
Maybe the priority is to qualify for the group stages before such experimentation
can take place. Surely though the likes of Kelly, Coates, Suso, and Sterling (to name
a few) have a role to play in what is almost a mini-league campaign.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Europa League Campaign 2012/2013
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 07:20:22 PM »
So we beat the Gomel 4-0 on aggregate, 3-0 the other night at Anfield.

Reminds me of our Carling cup campaign last year, taking it so seriously
early on (or maybe the gaffer was just treating it as a more competitive
preseason workout for the guts of the 1st team).

However 19 (half a season) more games required in order to win it, so despite
the prestige of winning a trophy in Europe the obvious question concerns the
amount of 1st team resources we're going to devote to it, bearing in mind the
Thursday night fixtures and our league ambitions.

Ideally, imo, we'd leave it to Stevie (icon) and Carra (stalwart) to lead a bunch of
fringe players and youth prospects through the early stages (induct them into
European football, so to speak) and conserve the energies of our prize assets,
Lucas, Suarez and the likes of Reina and the two CBs for the league campaign?
Maybe the priority is to qualify for the group stages before such experimentation
can take place. Surely though the likes of Kelly, Coates, Suso, and Sterling (to name

Ideally, Ed. The problem we face is that Rodgers hasn't ever managed a team in European competition so he is on a massive learning curve, more than quite a few of our players.
It's going to be quite a balancing act, putting out a team strong enough for him to put his theories successfully to the test and be able to learn from his mistakes, whilst not undermining our league campaign in any way.

Out of the three cups, this is the one I'd like to see us take the most seriously as we need to raise our profile as much as possible again in Europe. Players on mainland Europe certainly seem to take it more seriously than maybe fans in this country.

It really needs to be slashed as it's a horridly overbloated competition.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 07:29:56 PM »
Regarding the game itself, i thought Borini took his goal well (Maxi-esque)
under a bit of pressure from the defender  but wonder if we lack a bit of
variety up front with Borini, Suarez, Downing and Stevie G (playing further
forward from midfield) all buzzing around but no clear target for crosses and
free kicks depending who comes up from the back (as was the case last season
when Carrolll didn't play).

Of course if we sign Dempsey, that changes somewhat but then if Carroll leaves
we're back looking dreadfully mediocre up front should Suarez get injured.

It was interesting David Pleat made the point in the commentary (one we're
all familiar with at this stage) about the dilemma for Rodgers wanting to implement
his system with the quality of players he has.

Surprised also to see so much of Shelvey (can be wild in the challenge) and not to
see any of Henderson. Early days I suppose and a lot of decisions yet to be made before
the window closes.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 07:33:51 PM »
Ideally, Ed. The problem we face is that Rodgers hasn't ever managed a team in European competition so he is on a massive learning curve, more than quite a few of our players.
It's going to be quite a balancing act, putting out a team strong enough for him to put his theories successfully to the test and be able to learn from his mistakes, whilst not undermining our league campaign in any way.
Maybe but he's the manager of LFC so he gets paid to make the right decisions and get results?

Out of the three cups, this is the one I'd like to see us take the most seriously as we need to raise our profile as much as possible again in Europe. Players on mainland Europe certainly seem to take it more seriously than maybe fans in this country.
Agree completely 100%, the younger players coming through in Europe need a reminder of who
LFC are.

It really needs to be slashed as it's a horridly overbloated competition.
From what i saw last season, it gets exciting and fairly competitive in the latter stages though.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 07:45:51 PM »
From what i saw last season, it gets exciting and fairly competitive in the latter stages though.

No doubt, but it's too many games to win what is such a low profile competition.

It needs to go backwards to go forwards.

Qualification is through league or cup achievement. Stop it being a dumping ground for CL failures at qualification and group stage levels. Stop having qualifying tournos like the Intertoto and handing out places for fairplay, best dressed, tastiest pie etc.

In fact I'd like to see the Cup Winners Cup return so qualification for the EL is through league and therefore a total season's achievement.

Stop having so many 'qualifying' rounds followed by a 'play off' etc. Also they need to go back to it being a two legged competition all the way to the final. That sets it apart from the Champions 'League' in the character of the competition.

Also, lets trim down the CL places to Top 3. Bronze, silver, gold if you like. That would improve the quality of the teams and do away with needing to 'improve' it with CL failures. That initself reinforces it as a 'consolation tournament'.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 03:14:34 PM »
No doubt, but it's too many games to win what is such a low profile competition.

I agree they could make some changes to the format to bring it out of the shadow
of the juggernaut that is the CL. Tbh, though, it probably starts with the devaluation
of tournaments such as the Carling cup that lead to qualification in the first place.

Surely though the likes of Kelly, Coates, Suso, and Sterling (to name

Happy to see 3 of those names in the starting lineup for today  :) (wonder
what's happening with the cultured Suso though).

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 03:35:15 PM »
Both Suso and Pacheco should feature this season. I'd much prefer to see them in the squad and free up room on the payroll with the sale of the likes of Cole, Adam, Wilson, Jones and Spearing.

They've all either got nothing to contribute or not enough to warrant what we're giving them.

I'd rather see youngsters coming up short through a lack of experience than established pros simply showing nothing of the level of what we need or have a right to expect from them.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 01:27:23 AM »
Both Suso and Pacheco should feature this season. I'd much prefer to see them in the squad and free up room on the payroll with the sale of the likes of Cole, Adam, Wilson, Jones and Spearing.
I'd like to see Suso play in the Europa league. Strangely i think Juan said Pacheco
was left out of that squad which suggests another loan deal to me because he needs
to be getting regular game time at his age.

I worry about some of those players you mention, I mean I wonder if they could be
trusted to look after something as basic as the early rounds of the Carling Cup...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 04:46:46 PM »
I worry about some of those players you mention, I mean I wonder if they could be
trusted to look after something as basic as the early rounds of the Carling Cup...

Which ones Ed? Suso and Pacheco?

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 03:34:55 PM »
Delighted to see we've left Pacheco out of another European squad yet we're intent on bringing all of our homegrown rubbish. Dont get me wrong we have some fine homegrown players in there too but there are others in there that are never going to make it yet I dont understand why they get picked. At least Rodgers is prioritising the league.

Liverpool : Reina, Jones, Kelly, Agger, Carragher, Coates, Flanagan, Shelvey, Lucas, Adam, Allen, Henderson, Spearing, Downing, Borini, Carroll, Wilson, Robinson, Sterling, Eccleston.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 05:05:12 PM »
Delighted to see we've left Pacheco out of another European squad yet we're intent on bringing all of our homegrown rubbish. Dont get me wrong we have some fine homegrown players in there too but there are others in there that are never going to make it yet I dont understand why they get picked. At least Rodgers is prioritising the league.

Liverpool : Reina, Jones, Kelly, Agger, Carragher, Coates, Flanagan, Shelvey, Lucas, Adam, Allen, Henderson, Spearing, Downing, Borini, Carroll, Wilson, Robinson, Sterling, Eccleston.

I'd rather see Ryan McLaughlin in there if we're ever going to try Kelly as a centre half, now's the time. He won't be bombarded with high balls into the box, so he'll be able to defend on the ground.
I'd have left Spearing out and used Henderson there, giving his spot to Pacheco. I'd also have left out Adam and used Suso instead.

Downing, I'd just leave at some far flung place in the deepest, darkest corner of Europe and hope he doesn't find his way home.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 05:44:52 PM »
Downing, I'd just leave at some far flung place in the deepest, darkest corner of Europe and hope he doesn't find his way home.

:D

chin up, we're being linked with Adam Johnston. 

we're gonna need a lot of dark corners across europe, to lose all these journeymen.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 06:44:25 PM »
:D

chin up, we're being linked with Adam Johnston. 

we're gonna need a lot of dark corners across europe, to lose all these journeymen.

We'll need to hope we get past Edinburgh and draw a few ........ikstans in the group stage so we've enough places to fly tip.

At a push I'd take him on loan, but with the option of dumping him outside the Etihad at any given moment if he reverts to type. I think we soon be talking about another waste of resources if we were to buy him.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 08:31:04 PM »

Id high hopes for Downing but hes proving to be useless. His decision making is terrible. He regularly over hits crosses and I never understand at times why he persists in crossing the ball when theres no one in the box..

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 08:37:24 PM »
I never understand at times why he persists in crossing the ball when theres no one in the box..

because

His decision making is terrible.