October 14, 2019, 04:30:10 PM

Author Topic: Europa League Campaign 2012/2013  (Read 45888 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Europa League Campaign 2012/2013
« Reply #330 on: February 22, 2013, 08:03:51 PM »
His value won't increase Tes so I'd be inclined to hold fire and keep him.
Agreed. That has to be the number 1 priority this summer. I think and hope Pepe will stay. There's enough change going to happen with the defenders without further confusing things with a new keeper. Anyway, I think he (or perhaps Lucas) will become the new vice-captain. I think young Kelly might do quite well at CB maybe alongside Agger.

He's improved in recent weeks. Keep him.

I agree Ray that changes need to be keep to the minimum possible at the back. Obviously Carra's retiring and it looks like Coates isn't rated by the manager.
I'd certainly go for the absolute best we can afford and let him fight it out with Skrtel and Agger. It would be an improvement as Carra's not been able to push Skrtel hard enough this season.
If Skrtel proves to be the odd one out of three then that's to our advantage.

Where Downing's concerned I think it's down to whether we can upgrade without selling him. I agree he's improved to a degree but from the level he came from to where he is now, he still has a long way to go to make a case for himself being a regular.
I thought he may have done better as a wide forward player than he did last season as a more orthadox winger, because at both Boro and Villa he always had the ability to tuck in at the far post or cut inside to score, but he seems happy to stay wide when the ball's on the opposite flank instead of getting himself into the box to add to the numbers.

With hindsight he'd probably found his level and comfort zone at Villa.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 22, 2013, 08:18:30 PM »

"Brendan, he made the people happy," will be what goes on the Ulsterman's career tombstone.

He kept 3 people happy at least...

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 22, 2013, 08:23:40 PM »
I sure don't know about you fellas, but I take great stock from how nice we are.  We're decent through and through.  So nice, as to even be super-cede David Moores levels of niceness.

Sure, isn't it great to see little Swansea come to Anfield, will a full team, and knock us out of the League Cup, in October, before the long nights really set in.  What a romantic spectacle.  A small side, come and do the business at Anfield.  Even more romantic, since we  raided their club months earlier, taking their best player as well as their manager, to Anfield. 

And Oldham, now there's a team and a half.  Two divisions below us.  Sitting in the relegation area, unable to get a result for love nor money.  On the verge of sacking their manager.  But no sirree, we can't see those good people of Oldham go away empty-handed.  Let's have a whip-round and give them a hand-up.  Oldham was made for the FA Cup.  This could be their season. 

And Zenit.  Not one of the top sides in Europe.  But they sure-as-hell do try.  Heck, they had been on a long winter break since December 10th.  I was fearing they'd be ring rusty, after more than two months without a competitive game, and would be on the wrong end of a hammering from the Liverpool lads.  No one wants to see the opposition embarrassed.  But heck, in the final 20 minutes of our games, they actually got stronger, rather than weaker.  Wasnt that pretty.  I don;t know about you, but I take great heart when I see such pluckiness. 

And in the Premiership, hasn't it been a delightful season.  Other top sides might have been concerned, but hey, no need to be.  We have given all those top half sides great spirit and hope.  They can now go on and dream of top four finishes, and even tiddlers like Everton and Swansea, can dream of Europa League games next season.

Now you see, I reckon, some of our support, get nose-bleeds and have issues in handling success.  They prefer to be nice and they like to see other folks do well.  And if we have to give these other sides a hand-up, then why not.  Ain't it pretty to see how far little Swansea and Oldham have gone in the cups.  And Zenit too. I don't know about you folks, but I'll be in the Oldham, Swansea and Zenit corners, when they play their respective cup ties.

We don't need folks like Benitez, who would only upset the apple cart.  And whilst Hodgson and Dalglish were on the right track, and were keeping other folks semi-content, where they ultimately fell down, was in the gift-of-the-gab.  They just didn't have the spiel, or the way with words.  They didn't sell the dream, nor the hope, nor the belief.  Words failed them.  They were unable to talk a good game and that ultimately cost them there jobs.

My thoughts exactly...we're singing from the same hymn sheet! Hmmm maybe that's not such a good analogy...

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 22, 2013, 10:42:55 PM »
He kept 3 people happy at least...

you know, some would say that we lost the tie because we gave away three sloppy goals to Zenit.

But I like to focus on the positives.  Zenit now have the chance to continue with their dreams.

We too, if we work hard and believe in the project, can progress one-day and be up there with AC Zenit.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 22, 2013, 10:58:53 PM »
you know, some would say that we lost the tie because we gave away three sloppy goals to Zenit.

But I like to focus on the positives.  Zenit now have the chance to continue with their dreams.

We too, if we work hard and believe in the project, can progress one-day and be up there with AC Zenit.

Apparently there's a footnote on the inside back cover of 'the document' that covers defending - it states, 'bah, who needs it'.

Yet again, just one goal less this time sees us into the next round. Teams concede goals, it's part of football, but we undermine our new found ability to score, and the more we score the more we undermine it.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 23, 2013, 02:32:29 AM »
Apparently there's a footnote on the inside back cover of 'the document' that covers defending - it states, 'bah, who needs it'.

:D

sounds like Kevin Keegan wrote some of it.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 07, 2013, 07:05:07 PM »
Note Dirk is playing tonight. Come on Fenner!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 08, 2013, 01:18:41 AM »
Note Dirk is playing tonight. Come on Fenner!

It's awful knowing the competition's still going on and we've no longer got any interest in it. The same with the FA Cup. There's some 'name' teams still in the competition. We should still be in there mixing it with them.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 05, 2013, 01:53:01 AM »
the Dirk Destroyer, what a man. 

a class act, both as a player and a human being.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 05, 2013, 02:17:01 AM »
the Dirk Destroyer, what a man. 

a class act, both as a player and a human being.
90th minute for a 2-0 lead in the 1st leg of the quarter final,
typical Dirk, unsung hero!  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 06, 2013, 09:53:09 PM »
Imagine what Brendan could have made of him. 'Sigh'. Another missed opportunity.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 06, 2013, 10:42:44 PM »
if only those pesky kids owners hadn't sold Dirk despite Brent's best protestations.

But Brent moves on.  And apparently it was good to get Dirk's big wages off the books (I'm guessing 60 grand a week), so that we can continue to pay Captain Marvel 130 grand a week, on a new extended contract, til he's 38.

as Brent says, what a season, what a man, king of the universe, well dressed, eats, right, sleeps well, and keeps himself in such great shape, doesn't tackle when he doesn;t have to, doesn;t track back, will be going strong for at least another 5 years.   

I don't know about you pilgrims, but if Captain Marvel can be as good as he was this season, when we kicked sand in the faces of all and sundry, then it will be like signing Messi, in being able to persuade him to stay with us, under a new contract, and have him til he gets his pension.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 06, 2013, 11:11:53 PM »
if only those pesky kids owners hadn't sold Dirk despite Brent's best protestations.

But Brent moves on.  And apparently it was good to get Dirk's big wages off the books (I'm guessing 60 grand a week), so that we can continue to pay Captain Marvel 130 grand a week, on a new extended contract, til he's 38.

as Brent says, what a season, what a man, king of the universe, well dressed, eats, right, sleeps well, and keeps himself in such great shape, doesn't tackle when he doesn;t have to, doesn;t track back, will be going strong for at least another 5 years.   

I don't know about you pilgrims, but if Captain Marvel can be as good as he was this season, when we kicked sand in the faces of all and sundry, then it will be like signing Messi, in being able to persuade him to stay with us, under a new contract, and have him til he gets his pension.

At least it should buy time to finally get around to thinking about his replacement - hopefully.
Carra's readied replacement has to be the best kept secret in football.
I read earlier today that Taggart is looking at replacements ready for when Ferdinand and Vidic are no more. Yet another leaf taken out of the book we seem to have wantonly discarded.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 07, 2013, 01:18:44 AM »

Apparently he gives 150% in training...

I'd settle for 100%, not sure where he gets the other 50% from,
wonder what he gives during the games?