September 19, 2019, 10:45:15 PM

Author Topic: Europa League Campaign 2012/2013  (Read 44898 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Europa League Campaign 2012/2013
« Reply #315 on: February 21, 2013, 11:09:14 PM »
At least I got one thing right.  :D We are where we are and we're a tad too lightweight at the moment. With Sturridge and Coutinho we would've strolled past this round so that gives us a hint that some players will be gone in the summer, most notably Downing and Shelvey.

You get more things right than I give you credit for Martin.  :D I'd put Shelvey out on loan next season just to see if, at 20, he can learn and develop. Still undecided on Downing. He's played pretty well in recent weeks and we'd never get more than half our money back for him.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 21, 2013, 11:14:09 PM »
we'd never get more than half our money back for him.

Considering we overpaid for him by a fair bit, if we got anything over £8M I'd be amazed and delighted.

He simply doesn't have the mentality to play at the level we require.

I imagine Arsenal fans are delighted they never signed him the Summer we did.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 21, 2013, 11:20:05 PM »
Considering we overpaid for him by a fair bit, if we got anything over £8M I'd be amazed and delighted.

He simply doesn't have the mentality to play at the level we require.

I imagine Arsenal fans are delighted they never signed him the Summer we did.

There's no point selling him until a better replacement has been lined up. We shall have to wait to see if that happens. He's a decent enough player but his age is probably against him now. He won't get any better.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 21, 2013, 11:34:51 PM »
Or we can use him as bait to sign another player!!!

What about Downing and £5m for Mignolet and Sessegnon!!!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 21, 2013, 11:58:09 PM »
There's no point selling him until a better replacement has been lined up. We shall have to wait to see if that happens. He's a decent enough player but his age is probably against him now. He won't get any better.

Sorry Ray, but I was answering your point directly about his value. Whether to sell or not is another issue.
Whether we can afford to replace before selling or have to sell with the proceeds part funding his replacement is something we don't know.
At the moment sorting out the defence, both what to do as far as defending goes in play and how that translates to transfer movement of personnel looks to be a more pressing problem.

Downing could be a squad player, though an originally expensive one, or could be upgraded and shipped out, who knows, but I think there's more pressing areas. If nothing more, he can provide cover either side. I'm just so nonplused with him. Hugely disappointed in him. His last season at Villa was decent, not brilliant, but cheese to our chalk in comparison to what we've seen from him at any time since he arrived.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 22, 2013, 12:00:02 AM »
Or we can use him as bait to sign another player!!!

What about Downing and £5m for Mignolet and Sessegnon!!!

O'Neill's not that daft. How's Sessegnon been this season? Not seen as much of him though I was reasonably impressed with him last season.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 22, 2013, 01:52:18 PM »
Liverpool FC analysis: Sobering reality for Reds after Euro exit

IN the end not even the famous Anfield atmosphere could get Liverpool FC over the line. But boy did it try.

“Your club needs you!” boomed the back page of this paper yesterday morning, a call to arms to supporters, urging them to play the role of 12th man. The message was heeded, and then some. If ever a night showcased the importance of European football to this club, then this was it.

Even if, in the end, the cause was to prove a lost one.

Fans were pouring into Anfield a good 45 minutes before kick-off here, determined to play their part. This was a return to better days, days when support equalled support. Their influence was tangible.

Of course noise alone was never going to be enough. There had been much talk of Liverpool “summoning the spirit” of previous European nights, but the caveat to that is that, more often than not, those achievements, those nights, came from special teams, filled with special players. They don't call them legends for nothing.

This side, of course, is not special. If that sounds blunt, then so be it. Liverpool's players will have gone home last night feeling hard done by, but ultimately it is their own mistakes that have cost them over the two legs of this tie.

Had Luis Suarez been as accurate from 10 yards last week as he was from 20 this, for example, then they would have had an away goal of their own to cling to. Had Glen Johnson not daydreamed at the far post a week ago, then this scoreline would have been enough. Jamie Carragher, of course, will have got less sleep than most last night.

There is cruelty in the manner in which Carragher's 150th and final European appearance will be remembered. His error, 19 minutes in, gifted Hulk what proved to be the tie's decisive goal. It marred an otherwise immaculate display.

It also managed, briefly, to silence the Kop. Not for long, mind. Within eight minutes, Suarez had them dreaming again. When Joe Allen marked arguably his best game for the club with a poacher's strike just before half-time, the noise was enough to cut through even the biting February cold.

But in the end, it was the hope that killed them. There was more than half an hour remaining when Suarez bashed in his second free kick of the evening but, despite bags of endeavour, there was to be no storybook finish this time.

“We were very proud of the club and the players tonight,” said Rodgers afterwards, though his pain was only half-concealed. He also felt his side had been denied a penalty when Tomas Hubocan appeared to handle in the area, though even a series of slow-motion replays proved inconclusive on that one.

The Ulsterman's debut campaign on Merseyside has been a trying one, full of false starts and sideways steps. Progression here would have been cathartic, but there was something in-keeping with the Reds' season that, ultimately, they should fall short despite offering plenty of promise.

If this performance, controlled, aggressive, dynamic, showed how far they have progressed under Rodgers, the fact that they are also-rans in the also-rans' European competition says more.

The Europa League may not be where a club of Liverpool's size and history sees itself, long term. It comes off second best when held up against the all-singing, all-dancing glitz and glamour of the Champions League, and never let any ITV4 executive tell you differently.

But beggars cannot be choosers. Exactly six years ago, Liverpool were heading home from the Nou Camp, having toppled Barcelona in their own back yard. They were on their way to a second European Cup final in three seasons, and developing into one of the continent's most accomplished sides under the guidance of Rafa Benitez. Europe lived in fear of Liverpool.

Not any more. Anfield may have retained its mystique, but Liverpool's team has not.The unravelling of the Benitez reign, precipitated by some of the most horrible mismanagement at boardroom level imaginable, saw the Reds dip out of the Champions League in 2009. The need to return has grown with every day that has passed since. It has become an obsession, an itch that has to be scratched.

Of course that is not to say that they shouldn't strive for more, or that they should settle for mediocrity. Liverpool should never settle for mediocrity. But reality bites. It certainly bit them hard in this tie.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2013/02/22/liverpool-fc-analysis-sobering-reality-for-reds-after-euro-exit-100252-32857950/#ixzz2LdSVKSXO

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 22, 2013, 05:53:43 PM »
Hard to argue with any of that. Doesn't make for a nice bedtime story but it's real, and sometimes reality really is that negative.

Experience above all else needs to be brought into the club this Summer or we could find the route back being a road that goes nowhere.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 22, 2013, 07:21:17 PM »
We've become the manure dominated press version of NICE...never ever get in the way of winning anything apart from the odd allowable cup.
Last night we got back into a position that we could have gone through. 3-1 up with half an hour to go...
What does Rodgers do?
Carry on with the substitution even though Suarez scored...any manager worth his salt would have sat back and said...we've scored 3 now...we're back in the game...we're controlling the game and dominating...run henderson etc into the ground....they'll do so if they're worth their salt...
but noooooooooooo not our brendan...he did for us last night...just like he did for us a week ago when not playing lucas...
he's a fecking idjit and way out of his league...
I've had enough....i couldn't give a flying FECK about irritating the sensibilities of certain people on this forum..this is our beloved club we're talking about...aka far more important....

RODGERS OUT!

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 22, 2013, 07:27:31 PM »
Sorry Ray, but I was answering your point directly about his value. Whether to sell or not is another issue.
Whether we can afford to replace before selling or have to sell with the proceeds part funding his replacement is something we don't know.
His value won't increase Tes so I'd be inclined to hold fire and keep him.

At the moment sorting out the defence, both what to do as far as defending goes in play and how that translates to transfer movement of personnel looks to be a more pressing problem.
Agreed. That has to be the number 1 priority this summer. I think and hope Pepe will stay. There's enough change going to happen with the defenders without further confusing things with a new keeper. Anyway, I think he (or perhaps Lucas) will become the new vice-captain. I think young Kelly might do quite well at CB maybe alongside Agger.

Downing could be a squad player, though an originally expensive one, or could be upgraded and shipped out, who knows, but I think there's more pressing areas. If nothing more, he can provide cover either side. I'm just so nonplused with him. Hugely disappointed in him. His last season at Villa was decent, not brilliant, but cheese to our chalk in comparison to what we've seen from him at any time since he arrived.

He's improved in recent weeks. Keep him.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 22, 2013, 07:50:53 PM »
We've become the manure dominated press version of NICE...never ever get in the way of winning anything apart from the odd allowable cup.
Last night we got back into a position that we could have gone through. 3-1 up with half an hour to go...
What does Rodgers do?
Carry on with the substitution even though Suarez scored...any manager worth his salt would have sat back and said...we've scored 3 now...we're back in the game...we're controlling the game and dominating...run henderson etc into the ground....they'll do so if they're worth their salt...
but noooooooooooo not our brendan...he did for us last night...just like he did for us a week ago when not playing lucas...
he's a fecking idjit and way out of his league...
I've had enough....i couldn't give a flying FECK about irritating the sensibilities of certain people on this forum..this is our beloved club we're talking about...aka far more important....

RODGERS OUT!

I agree.

I've had enough of the dumb imbeciles who are stupid enough and foolish enough to not give the manager of Liverpool Football Club the chance to implement fully his plans for the team, which is a long term strategy that will have its inconsistencies in its embryotic stages but can be developed into something that will stand us in good stead for the long haul.

I totally agree you i couldn't give a flying FECK about irritating the sensibilities of certain irrational people on this forum..this is our beloved club we're talking about...aka far more important....

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 22, 2013, 07:55:46 PM »

I've had enough of the dumb imbeciles who are stupid enough and foolish enough to not give the manager of Liverpool Football Club the chance to implement fully his plans for the team, which is a long term strategy that will have its inconsistencies in its embryotic stages but can be developed into something that will stand us in good stead for the long haul.

Ah yes...the 5 year prohect towards oblivion. We're well ahead of target already.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 22, 2013, 07:57:22 PM »
Yes because I said 5 years................ :-X

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 22, 2013, 07:59:55 PM »
Yes because I said 5 years................ :-X

or 1 or 2 or 3...or even 6 months...we're still well on target to oblivion
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:02:37 PM by barticus »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 22, 2013, 08:03:44 PM »
I sure don't know about you fellas, but I take great stock from how nice we are.  We're decent through and through.  So nice, as to even be super-cede David Moores levels of niceness.

Sure, isn't it great to see little Swansea come to Anfield, will a full team, and knock us out of the League Cup, in October, before the long nights really set in.  What a romantic spectacle.  A small side, come and do the business at Anfield.  Even more romantic, since we  raided their club months earlier, taking their best player as well as their manager, to Anfield. 

And Oldham, now there's a team and a half.  Two divisions below us.  Sitting in the relegation area, unable to get a result for love nor money.  On the verge of sacking their manager.  But no sirree, we can't see those good people of Oldham go away empty-handed.  Let's have a whip-round and give them a hand-up.  Oldham was made for the FA Cup.  This could be their season. 

And Zenit.  Not one of the top sides in Europe.  But they sure-as-hell do try.  Heck, they had been on a long winter break since December 10th.  I was fearing they'd be ring rusty, after more than two months without a competitive game, and would be on the wrong end of a hammering from the Liverpool lads.  No one wants to see the opposition embarrassed.  But heck, in the final 20 minutes of our games, they actually got stronger, rather than weaker.  Wasnt that pretty.  I don;t know about you, but I take great heart when I see such pluckiness. 

And in the Premiership, hasn't it been a delightful season.  Other top sides might have been concerned, but hey, no need to be.  We have given all those top half sides great spirit and hope.  They can now go on and dream of top four finishes, and even tiddlers like Everton and Swansea, can dream of Europa League games next season.

Now you see, I reckon, some of our support, get nose-bleeds and have issues in handling success.  They prefer to be nice and they like to see other folks do well.  And if we have to give these other sides a hand-up, then why not.  Ain't it pretty to see how far little Swansea and Oldham have gone in the cups.  And Zenit too. I don't know about you folks, but I'll be in the Oldham, Swansea and Zenit corners, when they play their respective cup ties.

We don't need folks like Benitez, who would only upset the apple cart.  And whilst Hodgson and Dalglish were on the right track, and were keeping other folks semi-content, where they ultimately fell down, was in the gift-of-the-gab.  They just didn't have the spiel, or the way with words.  They didn't sell the dream, nor the hope, nor the belief.  Words failed them.  They were unable to talk a good game and that ultimately cost them there jobs.

"Brendan, he made the people happy," will be what goes on the Ulsterman's career tombstone. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:06:35 PM by the dude abides »
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.