November 27, 2020, 10:38:08 AM

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 73470 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 09:33:16 PM »
You know as much as I do! which is not a lot :D

Wow. I wasn't aware I knew that much.  :D
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 10:18:09 PM »
Not sure about Huntelaar. Whilst he does score goals, very much a penalty box only player, he makes Carra look like Thierry Henry on the pace front, but failed at both Milan and Real, so you'd have to wonder about his mentality.

That is exactly what we need. We have Suarez and Borini who do everything else but score on a regular basis. What we lack is a penalty box only player. Someone who is in the box able to receive passes from the likes of Suarez.

I think you can't judge his time at Real as he was only there half a season and Real didn't choose him for their CL campaign opting for Lass (remember against us). At Milan he only had one season. He scored 7 goals in 25 games and considering it takes a year for any player to adjust to a different country and league then you'd have to take that into consideration.

Plus his international goal scoring record is excelllent. So I don't think we'd have to wonder about his mentality.

I also wouldn't mind Walcott. I do believe Rodgers can improve him.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 10:56:41 PM »
That is exactly what we need. We have Suarez and Borini who do everything else but score on a regular basis. What we lack is a penalty box only player. Someone who is in the box able to receive passes from the likes of Suarez.

I think you can't judge his time at Real as he was only there half a season and Real didn't choose him for their CL campaign opting for Lass (remember against us). At Milan he only had one season. He scored 7 goals in 25 games and considering it takes a year for any player to adjust to a different country and league then you'd have to take that into consideration.

Plus his international goal scoring record is excelllent. So I don't think we'd have to wonder about his mentality.

I also wouldn't mind Walcott. I do believe Rodgers can improve him.

Edward, you make interesting points about Huntelaar. He's definately the sort of player we need as the central forward - put the ball in the net, work the centre halves when we're not in possession, leave the creation and invention to others, your movement will create space for others anyway.
As far as his time at Real and Milan, you have to ask why he found himself in those situations. Why wasn't he one of the strikers picked rather than the one who was overlooked in favour of a midfielder?
At Milan, why didn't he last longer? Not all foreign imports need a season's 'understanding', and what about the second season? Change of manager? Why wasn't he fancied?

He did OK at Ajax, has done fine at Schalke, but has never really been the absolute, automatic first choice for the Dutch. He seems to do OK when the spotlight is pointing elsewhere. Would that be the case at Anfield?

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 01:38:38 PM »
Huntelaar was excellent at Real with him linking nicely with sneider...the problem was that as usual with Real it was down to politics and saw those two blamed for Real's lowly 2nd against Barca in their prime.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 04:09:09 PM »
Huntelaar was excellent at Real with him linking nicely with sneider...the problem was that as usual with Real it was down to politics and saw those two blamed for Real's lowly 2nd against Barca in their prime.

Cheers Barticus, I hadn't followed his career close enough to have seen what the ins and outs were of his time at Real (and Milan), just knew that he hadn't been successful personally with either.
My failing memory does recall something about Sneider's time being less than successful and that he'd been caught up heavily in the political soap opera that breaks out from time to time there. I'd forget Huntelaar and Sneider were there at the same time.

Huntelaar may be the best we can attract and afford, but FSG may find him too old for their taste. As a player who has never had any pace and therefore is not something he's relied on, it should be less of an issue and I don't recall a particular problem with major injuries either. Whether FSG are learning to include the sporting aspect into their calculations, and therefore decisions, we'll need to wait and see.

If it came down to a choice of Huntelaar or Walcott, with Huntelaar's price being less taking into account his age and lack of  English and PL premiums, then I'm sure FSG would favour the Walcott deal.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 11:26:23 PM »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 12:24:15 AM »

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 12:29:42 PM »
Also worth keeping in mind is that Suarez has played with Huntelaar at Ajax...and they scored 50 goals together in one season...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2012, 09:17:59 PM »
H it is then. Does anyone have Brendan on speed dial?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2012, 09:08:21 PM »
Depending on who and many attackers we can secure in January, might it be an idea to let Borini spend the rest of the season in the U-21s so he can acclimatise with the pressure off.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 09:18:31 PM »
if Newcastle buy Carroll in the January window, maybe West Ham can take Borini on loan.

*runs for cover*
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2012, 09:26:18 PM »
if Newcastle buy Carroll in the January window, maybe West Ham can take Borini on loan.

*runs for cover*

That's quite an astute shout there.

Dude, I think there's the basis of a good player but like you I think he needs PL experience and we don't have the time to give him his apprenticeship. There's a big difference between playing half a season for Swansea in the Championship and hitting the ground running in the PL, even if it is via a season in Serie A.

The sooner we cash in on Andy Carroll and he can get his career back on track at Newcastle, where I think he'd do OK, the better for all concerned.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2012, 09:30:44 PM »
The sooner we cash in on Andy Carroll and he can get his career back on track at Newcastle, where I think he'd do OK, the better for all concerned.
He's ineligible to play for 3 clubs in 1 season.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2012, 09:58:21 PM »
He's ineligible to play for 3 clubs in 1 season.

I omitted the word 'can'. Obviously we can't ship him to Newcastle in January as it's being registered with three clubs that's the non non, but depending on who we get we can let Borini go out on loan (obviously not to West Ham unless Carroll comes back to us and we keep him warm for Newcastle, as a club can't loan two players from the same club). I just think that Borini needs us to be further down the development route Rodgers is taking us before he can fit in or those who need to can utilise his movement better.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2012, 10:07:23 PM »
I just think that Borini needs us to be further down the development route Rodgers is taking us before he can fit in.
Yes he was thrown into the first 11 and should have been eased in.

Problem is, as he said himself on BL, he keeps get relocated and moving house.
No harm imo having a goal scorer round, especially if we're still in Europe.