February 24, 2021, 05:03:58 PM

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 76919 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #240 on: December 20, 2012, 12:38:32 AM »
can we get a Halleljah, brotha!

Be careful the Herbert from the Black Lawyers Society may be watching.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 20, 2012, 12:38:53 AM »
Makes it even more depressing when you see who those pricey agents brought to the club.

Brings a bit more perspective to Comolli's and Dalglish's exits.

Soft touch. Us? No chance, though I have heard we may be sponsored by Patchett's Marshmallows when the StanChart deal runs out.

:D

I find much of our transfer activity baffling...
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 20, 2012, 12:40:23 AM »
Be careful the Herbert from the Black Lawyers Society may be watching.

I did think of that, after posting.

hey, maybe that post can with Top Black Football Post of 2012, at the All Black British Awards 2012!!!
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 20, 2012, 04:27:31 PM »
Can Brendan Rodgers be trusted in the transfer market?

Thursday, 20th December 2012 by Edward224 Gabriel Darshan

BRENDAN Rodgers has a lot to prove.

We are floundering in the Premier League in our worst start in living memory, and Brendan’s philosophy is either taking too long to implement or not working.

Brendan, unlike Kenny before him, likes the media and the attention it brings. He’s articulate, doesn’t get too flustered, and talks more like an MBA graduate than a Premier League manager (clearly some of the reasons why FSG like him).

The media lap this up, but it cannot detract from our league position and following the Villa debacle Rodgers must be feeling the pressure.

Like every new manager before him whose had difficulties, Rodgers says he needs time. He’s had 6 months and one transfer window to get his team playing his way. This isn’t long. Improving existing players does take time. Embedding a system of play does take time. But the better coaches need less time, and while they are implementing their changes they at least meet the minimum requirements & expectations for the job. 12th position after 17 games is clearly below expectations.

Brendan’s strength should be his coaching. He’s coached for 20 years, he likes to tell us, but he’s been a manager for only four, with a solitary year in the Premier League, and no titles. FSG knew this when they hired him and must have expected mistakes along the way.

I’m a believer that you judge a team, and a manager, at the end of a season (unless you’re the inept Mr. Hodgson) but judging by the season so far, Brendan will need to improve results fast to save his job. Coaching does take time, improving our international revenues takes time and so does redeveloping Anfield. How do you make a difference when you are quickly running out of time in the middle of a season? Well, you buy well in January. Easier said than done. But is Brendan Rodgers a good judge of a player?

Players who’ve left & reasons why:

Adam: Too slow, poor tackler, too many hollywood passes.

Amoo: Lacked awareness and end product to go with his pace.

Aquilani: Unsure why a string of managers didn’t give him a chance. Rumours of not settling denounced by the player. Juve & Milan didn’t think he was good enough for their midfield even at a knock down price. High salary and Rodgers wanted Allen to play regularly.

Aurelio: Injury record.

Bellamy: Wanted to end his career at home town club.

Darby: Technical and positional deficiencies. Club had better young options for rightback (namely Kelly, Flanagan & Wisdom).

Eccleston: Struggled to consistently find space and score goals against better opposition.

Kuyt: Fed up of being benched in place of Henderson (especially cup finals), wanted a change.

Maxi: Wanted to end his career at home town club.

Silva: Not sure why, I thought he had a lot of raw talent. Has been injured all-season at Barnsley with a hamstring injury.

Carroll (loan): Awful scoring record, poor movement and flexibility, inconsistent technique, slow and can’t run in behind defences. Didn’t fit with Rodgers’ style of play.

Spearing (loan): Mediocre technique, lack of pace, lack of height for defensive midfield. Didn’t want to leave permanently.

Wilson (loan): Loaned to gain experience. Indications he’s still valued at the club but is behind Agger, Skrtel, Coates, Carragher and possibly Kelly and Wisdom as well.

Overall Assessment of Sales: B

http://live4liverpool.com/2012/12/view-from-the-kop/can-brendan-rodgers-be-trusted-in-the-transfer-market

Martin, I've not posted it with any negative agenda in mind. To me it's a legimate question that should be asked continuously of whoever manages our club. Reviewing anything on an ongoing basis can hopefully lessen mistakes or catch problems early before they develop.
And it's always interesting (at least to me) to read anybody else's opinion whether they mirror or are the complete opposite of your own.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 20, 2012, 05:15:58 PM »
Arsenal and Liverpool target Biglia told he can leave Anderlecht next month

20 December 2012  By Andy James

Premier League clubs have been put on alert after Anderlecht told their Argentinian midfielder Lucas Biglia he can leave the club.

The 26-year-old has been closely tracked by both Liverpool and Arsenal over the last year, while there has been further interest from the likes of Real Madrid and AC Milan.

Biglia, who spent much of the summer touting himself around Europe, is valued at around £8.5m by his club.

And Anderlecht admit they would be willing to make a deal should a club bid the asking price.

Speaking to Italian press, general manager Herman Van Holsbeeck said: 'We have not formally received an offer for Lucas but we know that his agent is making moves in the transfer market.

'Biglia has two and a half years left on his contract and we would only consider letting him go if we receive an offer of €10.25m. He won't leave in January for a penny less.'

The former Independiente midfielder has been capped seven times by his country since moving to Belgium in 2006.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2250933/Premier-League-clubs-including-Arsenal-Liverpool-told-bid-Anderlechts-Lucas-Biglia.html

With our inability to keep clean sheets, I think stopping the opposition scoring has moved up the list of priorities to where it was at the start of the season. If we increase our chance of keeping clean sheets, it places less pressure on the offensive side of the team. It's a bit soul-destroying having to score twice just to avoid defeat, especially as the problem that plagued us all last season is very much still with us.
Even if we add goals through our January purchase(s) the problem is likely to persist unless something further/different is instigated. Staying the same is patently not the answer.
I doubt we will have the neccessary to purchase at least two quality attackers (the bare minimum considering the loss of Maxi, Kuyt, Bellamy, Carroll) plus a defensive reinforcement of some form, but more careful consideration has to be given than was the obvious case at the closure of the Summer window.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 20, 2012, 11:30:45 PM »
Blackpool dismiss Liverpool's offer for Tom Ince as far too small

Thursday 20 December 2012

The Blackpool manager, Michael Appleton, has revealed that Liverpool's initial offer for Tom Ince is significantly short of his club's valuation for the England Under-21 winger.

Ince left Anfield in 2011 having made one senior appearance, with Blackpool making a compensation payment of £250,000.

The 20-year-old will command a far higher fee if he returns to Merseyside in January having scored 13 goals in 21 Championship games this season. With Luis Suarez Liverpool's only senior available forward, manager Brendan Rodgers is keen to add a striker next month. However, talks with Chelsea's Daniel Sturridge have stalled over wages and Blackpool have asked for Liverpool to raise their offer for Ince.

Appleton confirmed that a figure had been discussed between Blackpool chairman Karl Oyston and Liverpool but dismissed speculation that a deal is close to being finalised. "I think there's been a conversation between Karl and Liverpool regarding an offer but, as far as I'm aware, it's way below the type of money we would expect for someone of Tom's talent," he said.

Liverpool have at least secured the future of Raheem Sterling with the 18-year-old signing a five-year deal worth about £35,000 a week.

Rodgers said yesterday that Sterling would be expected to hit the same attainment levels as Michael Owen, Robbie Fowler and Wayne Rooney. The manager said he always tells players in Sterling's position that "they need to decide after this contract whether there is going to be another contract at one of the biggest clubs in the world – or whether it will be at a different level".

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/blackpool-dismiss-liverpools-offer-for-tom-ince-as-far-too-small-8428091.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/blackpool-dismiss-liverpools-offer-for-tom-ince-as-far-too-small-8428091.html

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 20, 2012, 11:39:17 PM »
Blackpool dismiss Liverpool's offer for Tom Ince as far too small

is there no end to our humiliation.

you couldn;t make it up.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 21, 2012, 09:22:20 PM »

you couldn;t make it up.

So we now have to bid high for a player unproven in the premiership and who WE let go less that 18 months ago cos he was that special....
We're also in the running (anyone else vaguely interested in?) for Sturridge...

I see we're linked with other players...
but it's patently obvious that FSG ain't going to stump up the cash...
and let's be honest ...would we want Rodgers to have that cash to spend only on players that he's worked with??
If he can't work with players who don't fit into his 'system/project/scripture' like Carroll, Kuyt etc....then what hope have we got of attracting the likes of Huntelaar/sneider etc...aka no chance..

Terrible draw against Zenit st Petersburg... depressed me even more...if we put out a weak team we'll be mullered...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 21, 2012, 11:12:51 PM »
Not long to go now if the world's due to end today. So the good news is there will be a January window. The end of the world comes on 1 Feb 2013 though, when we see what we have or haven't bought.  ;D

The Mayan's didn't foresee what a state we'd be in (or not), otherwise the world may have been predicted to last just a little bit longer.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 22, 2012, 01:53:59 AM »

you couldn;t make it up.
I've posted on this topic before, the challenger never arrives polished,
he's a streetfighter, raw, uncouth, hungry, skinny. A punk.

'til Anfield demonstrates fight, sacrifice, energy, you can forget it. anyone
who thinks Powerpoint presentations and slick media soundbites are the
way forward is living in cloud cuckoo land.

The tattoo obsessed poseurs who currently fly the flag don't understand the tribal
spirit that underlies our club

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE4_FpZvGFA

Playing for LFC is a religion, it's a battle, a war. Again Daley Thompson springs to mind

"It's not enough to win; he has to mentally destroy his opponent."

Forget the Downings and Johnsons and Allens we want players out there who'll
die for the shirt!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 22, 2012, 03:35:44 PM »
I've posted on this topic before, the challenger never arrives polished,
he's a streetfighter, raw, uncouth, hungry, skinny. A punk.

'til Anfield demonstrates fight, sacrifice, energy, you can forget it. anyone
who thinks Powerpoint presentations and slick media soundbites are the
way forward is living in cloud cuckoo land.

The tattoo obsessed poseurs who currently fly the flag don't understand the tribal
spirit that underlies our club

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE4_FpZvGFA

Playing for LFC is a religion, it's a battle, a war. Again Daley Thompson springs to mind

"It's not enough to win; he has to mentally destroy his opponent."

Forget the Downings and Johnsons and Allens we want players out there who'll
die for the shirt!

The insane level of money in the game is rapidly killing that kind of attitude. Carra is really the last of that kind of breed. The talent is waning but the commitment has always been there.

In the past your medals, caps and memories were what you had to show for your career. Now, one contract secures you for life. It's now the bank balance, number of homes and cars you own is how the career is measured.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 22, 2012, 03:54:20 PM »
Liverpool FC give up on Theo Walcott January deal, but hope to sign him for free next summer

by James Pearce, Dec 20 2012

LIVERPOOL FC have given up on trying to sign Theo Walcott in January – but will attempt to lure the Arsenal attacker to Anfield when he's a free agent next summer.

The Reds were prepared to table a bid of £8million for the 23-year-old England international, who has snubbed the Gunners’ offer of a new five-year contract.

Chelsea, Manchester United and Manchester City have also shown interest in securing Walcott's services.

However, Liverpool now believe that Walcott will stay put in January and see out the remaining months of his deal at the Emirates.

Arsene Wenger has made it clear that Arsenal won't look to cash in on the player next month and that suits Walcott, who will be able to weigh up a number of lucrative options after his contract has expired in June.

Competition for his signature will be tough with Juventus among a number of top European clubs who have been monitoring his situation.

The Reds' hopes of convincing him to move to Anfield as a free agent are buoyed by the fact that Walcott was a boyhood Liverpool fan. He also has the same agent as boss Brendan Rodgers.

However, Liverpool know that being able to offer Champions League football will also be an important factor in Walcott's decision.

The Reds currently stand seven points adrift of the top four but Rodgers is hoping that a double swoop for Tom Ince and Daniel Sturridge in January will provide the extra firepower needed to close that gap in the second half of the season.

As revealed in Tuesday's ECHO, the Ince deal is close to completion and Liverpool will pay Blackpool around £4million for the winger.

Sturridge is increasingly likely to join him at Anfield. The Reds are happy to meet Chelsea's £12million asking price but they have yet to agree terms with the striker.

Both transfers can't be completed until the transfer window reopens on January 1.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/12/20/100252-32464525/

Why???? 'Give up' are two words I never though I'd hear be associated with this club.

At the moment our need is great. His goals and assists records have been improving over the last two seasons and have continued into this one. I imagine his 'chances created' record has been doing likewise.
None of the other clubs, Chelsea, Spurs, both Mancs, need a player in his position(s) at the moment.

Come the Summer everything changes. Teams reassess their needs. The fact that he will be on a free will tempt some who wouldn't be tempted this January. Chances are those clubs will have CL football to offer. Both Mancs and Chelsea will have large salaries on offer too.

This January we have the advantage, come the Summer we go to the back of the queue. Why not take the advantage we have and try everything to get him.
He's not the most technical or tactical player in the world (or even the league) but he creates chances and scores goals. That's what we lack. He gives pace. Another thing we lack. I also think that after the excessive hype of his very early career, he's now matured and has reached the stage where he can kick on and his development will become apparent.

We can't attract the Falcao's or Cavanis, but have we now given up on the Walcotts aswell?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 22, 2012, 05:17:52 PM »
Looks like the Sturridge transfer is back on: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2252141/Liverpool-set-sign-Daniel-Sturridge-Chelsea.html

Hopefully we haven't even compromised over the 'sell-on fee' and other demands of the parasites.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 22, 2012, 09:12:51 PM »
At the right price (transfer fee and wages) is the caveat to my wanting Sturridge. £12-15m plus £60,000 or less per week and I'd be ok with it, but anything more and I'd be peeved.

I don't want Ince at all. Rather spend £5m more on Zaha.

Super sub Theo is vastly superior to starter Theo. His pace is lethal against tired legs, and his one trick (kick the ball away + run after it) is easily countered at the beginning of a game. So not to fussed on missing out on Walcott, especially at £80,000 p/w +!

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 22, 2012, 09:28:08 PM »