November 27, 2020, 11:19:19 AM

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 73472 times)

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 12:53:14 AM »
Unless John Henry gets p!shed and dresses up as Santa at the Christmas Party, we've nooooooo chance of affording him. He's been earmarked for Milan (I think it is, it's been so long since I first read it) for a long time.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 04:06:12 PM »
With the post match interview Dzeko did stating he didn't want to be a 'supersub' and that he simply wanted to play, also with City being heavily linked with Falcao, I wonder if there would be any chance of us getting Dzeko.

City have bedded him in to the PL and seems to have acclimatised now and has been scoring for a while, whenever he gets a chance. He's certainly not a 'big man up front' but would give us an extra edge from set pieces as well as his ability to score from open play.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 04:15:47 PM »
hadn't thought of Dzeko.  That is a good call.

I wonder what type of money he'd cost.

good age (26) and great scoring record.

though I do note from his career stats, that he only ever seems to play 20 something games per season......does he have recurrent injury woes, I wonder?

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 05:58:16 PM »
Seeing as we have about £8m to play with our options are limited. Heard we may be interested in Gary Hooper.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 08:47:23 PM »
Seeing as we have about £8m to play with our options are limited. Heard we may be interested in Gary Hooper.

Hooper's the latest one doing the rounds. Not sure about him. Scunthorpe to Celtic (Scottish PL) to Liverpool. Big jumps each time.

Any news on us looking at Son Heung-Min of Hamburg?

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 08:55:16 PM »
Hooper's the latest one doing the rounds. Not sure about him. Scunthorpe to Celtic (Scottish PL) to Liverpool. Big jumps each time.

Any news on us looking at Son Heung-Min of Hamburg?

You know as much as I do! which is not a lot :D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 09:09:38 PM »
hadn't thought of Dzeko.  That is a good call.

I wonder what type of money he'd cost.

good age (26) and great scoring record.

though I do note from his career stats, that he only ever seems to play 20 something games per season......does he have recurrent injury woes, I wonder?

I'd guess at least £15M. I think City paid around £27M in Jan '11.

I'd rather us do nothing and look at Yesil than 'gamble' £8M-£10M. Save it and look again in the Summer.
If City get Falcao, now or in the Summer Dzeko price would fall, unless they offer him up in p/x for Falcao.

According to: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/edin-dzeko/profil/spieler_28396.html has doesn't seem to have had many, but he did play his earlier career in midfield and wasn't really rated. With changing position late in his early career, it could be that he's a late developer.

Better appearance stats: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/102337/edin-dzeko?cc=5739#

Apart from City, for obvious reasons, he has a decent appearance record. He may be just be a 'marmite player' where managers are concerned.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 09:17:05 PM »
Seen Adebeyor suggested a few times. I'd rather play Péter Gulácsi up front than have Adebeyor at the club.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 03:43:50 PM »
I'd guess at least £15M. I think City paid around £27M in Jan '11.

I'd rather us do nothing and look at Yesil than 'gamble' £8M-£10M. Save it and look again in the Summer.
If City get Falcao, now or in the Summer Dzeko price would fall, unless they offer him up in p/x for Falcao.

According to: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/edin-dzeko/profil/spieler_28396.html has doesn't seem to have had many, but he did play his earlier career in midfield and wasn't really rated. With changing position late in his early career, it could be that he's a late developer.

Better appearance stats: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/102337/edin-dzeko?cc=5739#

Apart from City, for obvious reasons, he has a decent appearance record. He may be just be a 'marmite player' where managers are concerned.

yes, he might be.

I like the fact that he tends to score in big games.  So he is a mentally strong type.

As you say, if other cards fall correctly, he may be available at  the right price.

Re stories today.  I really do hope we ignore Walcott.  These types of transfers rarely ever work out.  We do not want a football mercenary.  Cole is one too many.

Unsure what to make of Huntelaar.  Data looks good.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 07:57:34 PM »
yes, he might be.

I like the fact that he tends to score in big games.  So he is a mentally strong type.

As you say, if other cards fall correctly, he may be available at  the right price.

Re stories today.  I really do hope we ignore Walcott.  These types of transfers rarely ever work out.  We do not want a football mercenary.  Cole is one too many.

Unsure what to make of Huntelaar.  Data looks good.

Not sure about Huntelaar. Whilst he does score goals, very much a penalty box only player, he makes Carra look like Thierry Henry on the pace front, but failed at both Milan and Real, so you'd have to wonder about his mentality.

Walcott has the potential but seems to lack game intelligence. He could do OK as a central striker as his finishing can be good but he's more likely to depend on pace than clever movement. He'd work in a counter attacking team.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 08:09:39 PM »
Not sure about Huntelaar. Whilst he does score goals, very much a penalty box only player, he makes Carra look like Thierry Henry on the pace front, but failed at both Milan and Real, so you'd have to wonder about his mentality.

Walcott has the potential but seems to lack game intelligence. He could do OK as a central striker as his finishing can be good but he's more likely to depend on pace than clever movement. He'd work in a counter attacking team.

ah, I hadn't realised Hunter was slow.  Good call.  I did suspect mentality was an issue, given how many times big clubs in England have looked at him and overlooked him.

I can imagine Rodgers going for Walcott.  As you say, good for counter-attacking. 

I wish we had a 2012 version of Peter Beardsley, to give deliciously weighted precision passes to our forwards. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 08:13:21 PM »
I wish we had a 2012 version of Peter Beardsley, to give deliciously weighted precision passes to our forwards.

And a modern day Rushie to actually get the ball between those pesky posts.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 08:18:39 PM »
And a modern day Rushie to actually get the ball between those pesky posts.

wheeeeeeeee!!!!

was a delicious era......beardlsey laying on delicious passes, as rush ran across and behind defenders.

oh for such movement again, and for such quality personnel.

great TEAM play.