January 23, 2021, 04:35:30 AM

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 75652 times)

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2012, 09:23:56 PM »
Apparently Wenger is resigned to Walnut coming to us and is sorting out a replacement. Unless I read it wrong and Wenger is resigning with Walcott taking over.

I'd better not consult Twitter.
Just need someone to stand on the peno spot and
do like Cavani does here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CKD9snbFQJI

I like the idea of Huntelaar, (aged 29) a savvy foreigner with goals
in him. Not quite in the league of Bergkamp 26 when he went to Arsenal
or Klinsmann at 30 joining Spurs. Still if he's cheapish worth taking a
risk. Think he's happy topping the CL group with Schalke atm.

I note more brilliance from Luis tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uP8ADUFYvN8

Simply outrageous talent!

I just can't see him sticking around if we don't radically improve in
the 2nd half of the season.

He's the type of player who could win the Europa Cup for us, imo.

Anyway if we were to get the likes of Huntelaar and Lucas
is back, there's a fairly strong first 11 there, imo. Hmmm...Optimism!  :)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2012, 09:45:44 PM »

I like the idea of Huntelaar, (aged 29) a savvy foreigner with goals
in him. Not quite in the league of Bergkamp 26 when he went to Arsenal
or Klinsmann at 30 joining Spurs. Still if he's cheapish worth taking a
risk. Think he's happy topping the CL group with Schalke atm.

I note more brilliance from Luis tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uP8ADUFYvN8

Simply outrageous talent!

I just can't see him sticking around if we don't radically improve in
the 2nd half of the season.

He's the type of player who could win the Europa Cup for us, imo.

Anyway if we were to get the likes of Huntelaar and Lucas
is back, there's a fairly strong first 11 there, imo. Hmmm...Optimism!  :)

Unberealabubble. There's not many teams he could go to where he'd be so far ahead as the best player - we have got that going for us.

Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2012, 10:59:55 PM »

what about trying to nab Suarez's Uruguayan striking partner, Edinson Cavani, from Napoli?

they seem to have a good partnership for the national team....a good understanding.

the lad is 25, a devout Christian, and has a great scoring record.....and has no injury woes.  He has scored 57 goals (in 80 games) in the league for Napoli in these past 3 seasons with them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinson_Cavani
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2012, 11:20:44 PM »
what about trying to nab Suarez's Uruguayan striking partner, Edinson Cavani, from Napoli?

they seem to have a good partnership for the national team....a good understanding.

the lad is 25, a devout Christian, and has a great scoring record.....and has no injury woes.  He has scored 57 goals (in 80 games) in the league for Napoli in these past 3 seasons with them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinson_Cavani

Slightly North of about £35M needed. Ah, why not?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2012, 11:28:33 PM »
yikes, scrub that idea.   :)
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2012, 12:07:27 AM »
yikes, scrub that idea.   :)
We could use some of the 35% of the £5million we get back
if we re-sign Tom Ince.  ::)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-gossip-thomas-ince-1436321

:-[

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2012, 05:17:32 PM »
We could use some of the 35% of the £5million we get back
if we re-sign Tom Ince.  ::)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-gossip-thomas-ince-1436321

:-[

That's a really odd one. Is Ince actually good enough to come in and be a first choice? Doubtful. Doing well for Blackpool in a division below, as Charlie Adam will attest to, is no guarentee of being good enough to be a worthy addition to the first team.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2012, 04:36:44 PM »
we have embarrassed ourselves enough already (selling good players for peanuts, spending fortunes on cr.ap and injured players), without now trying to re-sign lads that we decided were previously not good enough.

ince excelling at Blackpool - as Tes says, haven;t we learnt from the charlie adam episode.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2012, 12:04:08 AM »
we have embarrassed ourselves enough already (selling good players for peanuts, spending fortunes on cr.ap and injured players), without now trying to re-sign lads that we decided were previously not good enough.

ince excelling at Blackpool - as Tes says, haven;t we learnt from the charlie adam episode.

It feels like another 'head in hands' moment. I've got to know almost every line on my palms these last few years, a familiarity I'd rather not have.

Just appoint a bona fide CEO, of Martin Edwards, David Gill, David Dein weight and let him get on with running the club and making the neccessary educated appointments. I'm sick of saying 'look at the Mancs'. Afterall, Taggart/Edwards/Gill got their blueprint from us.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2012, 12:08:21 AM »
It feels like another 'head in hands' moment. I've got to know almost every line on my palms these last few years, a familiarity I'd rather not have.

Just appoint a bona fide CEO, of Martin Edwards, David Gill, David Dein weight and let him get on with running the club and making the neccessary educated appointments. I'm sick of saying 'look at the Mancs'. Afterall, Taggart/Edwards/Gill got their blueprint from us.

exactly.

appoint a top notch CEO, and the club will almost run itself (off the pitch anyway).

the yanks are baffling me.  Surely the club was a major enough investment for them, for to take some interest in.  Running it into the ground surely cannot be a good way of making a return on one;s investment.

I forecast in the summer, that by April or May, the Anfield crowd may be in uproar.  The yanks might fob blame off on Rodgers...but they best be careful that fans do not turn on them.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2012, 12:47:21 AM »
the yanks are baffling me.  Surely the club was a major enough investment for them, for to take some interest in.  Running it into the ground surely cannot be a good way of making a return on one;s investment.

I don't see evil intent, just typical (at least of those when I lived there) insular, inward, 'all the world must be like America' Americans. No need to understand how the natives play, we'll just tell them what and how to play instead.

They've bought a million dollar yacht and put the bloke who hires out rowing boats on the local duckpond at Skegness in charge. People with that sort of money have access to the best. If they don't know the best they know someone who does, or know someone who can introduce them to that someone.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2012, 12:58:07 AM »
I don't see evil intent, just typical (at least of those when I lived there) insular, inward, 'all the world must be like America' Americans. No need to understand how the natives play, we'll just tell them what and how to play instead.

They've bought a million dollar yacht and put the bloke who hires out rowing boats on the local duckpond at Skegness in charge. People with that sort of money have access to the best. If they don't know the best they know someone who does, or know someone who can introduce them to that someone.

yes, inward looking, america is best, we-know-it-all, arrogance, is what I see too.

as you say, they have the resources to find and appoint the best people......but for some reason, that baffles me, they think they know best themselves.    e.g.  I found the pictures in early summer of Martinez walking around a Florida street with our owner, during negotiations, as somewhat bizarre.   What could yanks, who know nothing about football, possibly be asking a mid-table/relation fighting Spanish manager.  What pertinent questioning could he do.  Bizarre.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2012, 10:58:35 AM »
e.g.  I found the pictures in early summer of Martinez walking around a Florida street with our owner, during negotiations, as somewhat bizarre.   What could yanks, who know nothing about football, possibly be asking a mid-table/relation fighting Spanish manager.  What pertinent questioning could he do.  Bizarre.

Firstly that he puts himself in a position to be photo publicly whilst carrying out negotiations for a prime employee and that it created the impression that he was at the heart of the negotiations, when as Dude says, how can he be?
Secondly, he's only capable of a 'listening brief' in that he can judge a potential manager's nature, air of confidence, body language, all those sort of things, but he can't conduct the negotiations, as what does he use as a yardstick to judge Martinez's answers against?

If they're still there, I can't see the Glazer clan conducting the negotiations and talks with Taggart's replacement, that will be Gill's brief and so it should he be. He's the CEO, he has to appoint the main football man as it's him who will need to work with the new manager and he who has to run the organisation that the manager plays such a massive part in shaping.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2012, 11:05:44 AM »
Firstly that he puts himself in a position to be photo publicly whilst carrying out negotiations for a prime employee and that it created the impression that he was at the heart of the negotiations, when as Dude says, how can he be?
Secondly, he's only capable of a 'listening brief' in that he can judge a potential manager's nature, air of confidence, body language, all those sort of things, but he can't conduct the negotiations, as what does he use as a yardstick to judge Martinez's answers against?

If they're still there, I can't see the Glazer clan conducting the negotiations and talks with Taggart's replacement, that will be Gill's brief and so it should he be. He's the CEO, he has to appoint the main football man as it's him who will need to work with the new manager and he who has to run the organisation that the manager plays such a massive part in shaping.

exactly, the Glazers (or the middle eastern owners of Man City) will not be conducting talks regarding their new respective managers.

as for our owner.  On that Florida street, all that I can imagine him being able to ask Martinez (or any prospective new Liverpool appointee), is to "sell me your dream for how you would like to transform the club"......or "what would you bring to the job?"

in other words, generic questions.

our owners are some mixture of arrogance and stupidity.

at some point, the balance will tip, and the core of our support will see through our owners.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2012, 11:45:18 AM »
is to "sell me your dream for how you would like to transform the club"......or "what would you bring to the job?"

Even those questions need a certain amount of knowledge to assess whether the answer makes sense or is achievable within the context of football in general and our club specifically. It's easy to be taken in or impressed with B.S if you have no way of working out that what you're hearing is B.S.

How much did the owners know about the candidates entire careers and whether they regularly underachieved, overachieved or operated in a way that contributed to their career highs and lows or whether those contributing circumstances were all beyond their control.