January 23, 2021, 05:13:02 AM

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 75671 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2012, 01:09:22 PM »
Even those questions need a certain amount of knowledge to assess whether the answer makes sense or is achievable within the context of football in general and our club specifically. It's easy to be taken in or impressed with B.S if you have no way of working out that what you're hearing is B.S.

How much did the owners know about the candidates entire careers and whether they regularly underachieved, overachieved or operated in a way that contributed to their career highs and lows or whether those contributing circumstances were all beyond their control.

exactly.

being interviewed by our owner, it was an open goal for a Bull-Shxxter.  And thus someone like BR could excel.

I have a pretty good antenna for detecting BSérs.   I saw them in universities, in large lecture theatres, in senior and middle management.  Indeed, I had to sit through long boring meetings, which were extended because of such people.  I would get home after dark, often because such people loved the sound of their own voice.

Yanks love hearing the right words.  They take it all in, hook,  line and sinker. 

the usual personnel dept BS - sell me your vision; where do you see yourself in 5 years, what would you bring  to the job, etc, etc.

but as you say, with no knowledge of football, the candidates, or what is and is not do-able, the owners had nothing to base their decisions on.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2012, 08:41:42 PM »
exactly.

being interviewed by our owner, it was an open goal for a Bull-Shxxter.  And thus someone like BR could excel.

I have a pretty good antenna for detecting BSérs.   I saw them in universities, in large lecture theatres, in senior and middle management.  Indeed, I had to sit through long boring meetings, which were extended because of such people.  I would get home after dark, often because such people loved the sound of their own voice.

Yanks love hearing the right words.  They take it all in, hook,  line and sinker. 

the usual personnel dept BS - sell me your vision; where do you see yourself in 5 years, what would you bring  to the job, etc, etc.

but as you say, with no knowledge of football, the candidates, or what is and is not do-able, the owners had nothing to base their decisions on.

It's impossible to understand their thinking in so much.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »
exactly.

You never stop do you.....

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2012, 10:05:02 PM »
You never stop do you.....

Don't you see the question that is being posed? Also, the subjects of the question are the owners, not the manager.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2012, 10:08:45 PM »
Edward, have you heard anything rumoured about either Walcott, or Long? There seems to be rumours a plenty floating about elsewhere concerning the pair.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2012, 11:26:11 PM »
Looks like Sturridge could be a realistic January target. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/9689301/Daniel-Sturridge-in-Liverpools-sights-as-Brendan-Rodgers-looks-to-bolster-Anfield-clubs-firepower.html

And with Warner over the report seems quite coincidental. Could be good business.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2012, 11:59:33 PM »
Looks like Sturridge could be a realistic January target. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/9689301/Daniel-Sturridge-in-Liverpools-sights-as-Brendan-Rodgers-looks-to-bolster-Anfield-clubs-firepower.html

And with Warner over the report seems quite coincidental. Could be good business.

Sturridge hasn't kicked on as much as was hoped. Maybe it's down to him being played out wide, as the season before last he was excellent on loan at Bolton playing centrally, and his best games have been central for Chelsea.
I can't see Rodgers accommodating him centrally for enough games, even though Luis spends enough time playing the channels and coming inside from a wider position, I don't think Sturridge would be happy being expected to spend time out of the centre. Also, he can be greedy and doesn't look for those in better positions as much as he should.
Maybe it's down to not playing regularly enough or playing centrally enough. I wonder if we missed our chance and he missed his chance when he didn't come as part of the Torres transfer.

Still, it's an option and maybe Rodgers can work with him more than the coaches at Chelsea maybe have. Neither AVB or Di Matteo seem to have favoured him playing centrally even when he's done OK when given the chance. Change of scenary and manager may just work for him, and us. I certainly wouldn't discount him as an option.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2012, 12:29:01 AM »
It won't happen in January and neither should it, but I think one thing that is painfully obvious from the last two seasons is that we need cover/competition for Lucas.

We don't have an obvious replacement or anyone good enough to fit in to the role temporarily and this needs addressing as soon as financially possible.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2012, 05:29:20 PM »
Tes,

Sturridge's lack of goal power probably comes from lack of confidence as he seems to have lost favour with de Matteo. Rogers seems to know what he wants and this seems the most obvious transfer target to date. Those little traits of not looking up can be sorted out on the training pitch. He's decent quality for a reasonable price so it would be hard for the owners to come up with reasons why they wouldn't write the cheque.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2012, 06:22:32 PM »
Deeply troubled by this Sturridge milarky...
Do we only buy players who Rodgers knows then? Thats not a big catchment area tbh... Chelsea (left 4 years ago so they're getting old now), Watford, Reading and Swansea.
Hmmm Sturridge who has always flattered to deceive or Huntelaar a proven act who has scored at every level. I know who i'd have...

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2012, 07:03:58 PM »
Deeply troubled by this Sturridge milarky...
Hmmm Sturridge who has always flattered to deceive
Not exactly filled with joy by the prospect either.

I thought we had a team of scouts working on this!

Borini & Sturridge, are we the Chelsea reserves?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2012, 07:10:14 PM »
like Barticus, I am deeply troubled by these continued links to Sturridge.

The lad does not have the quality we need.  Heck, he can;t get a regular game at Chelsea....even with Torres playing dire, and Drogba gone.

he's scored a mere 26 league goals in these past 6 seasons.

I really have to question the type of players Liverpool are looking at.

Huntelaar or even the Arsenal lad, Walcott.  But heck, Sturridge, no way.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2012, 08:29:01 PM »
Not exactly filled with joy by the prospect either.

I thought we had a team of scouts working on this!

Borini & Sturridge, are we the Chelsea reserves?

First window and I'll put it down to a new manager wanting a couple of familiar faces around him. Even more experienced managers like 'arry have done the same.

Second window I would prefer he was beyond that and we cast our net wider and the manager had belief that a player would come to the club because of/despite him. In other words, not just safe bets he already worked with. Believe players will come - because it's Liverpool Football Club asking them to.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2012, 08:42:59 PM »
Downing interested in Boro loan

20 November 2012

Liverpool winger Stewart Downing would consider a return to first club Middlesbrough to play a part in their promotion push.

Press Association Sport understands Downing, who has had few first-team opportunities under Brendan Rodgers, would not be averse to a loan move back to the Riverside Stadium as he looks for regular football.

Liverpool seem likely to attempt to offload the 28-year-old, who joined the Reds in a £20million switch from Aston Villa in July last year, in January with Rodgers keen to address his lack of strike-power.

There is interest from a series of Barclays Premier League rivals in a permanent move but Downing is understood to still be determined to prove he has a long-term future on Merseyside.

In the circumstances, the player would prefer a temporary move, and his former employers would provide a tempting alternative.

Boro, who currently lie in third place in the npower Championship, were not commenting publicly on the matter on Tuesday, but sources on Teesside have indicated that nothing is likely to happen ahead of Thursday's emergency loan deadline.

But January would provide an opportunity to resolve a situation which bears a striking resemblance to that in which striker Andy Carroll found himself.

The £35million frontman was surplus to requirements during the summer, but had let it be known he was willing to consider a temporary move back to Newcastle, the club which had raked in a fee since described by manager Alan Pardew as "astronomical" for their home-grown talent.

But he ultimately ended up on a season-long loan deal at West Ham, a move which left Rodgers with Uruguay international Luis Suarez as his only recognised striker.

However, while Newcastle would have been able to fund a sizeable percentage of Carroll's wage packet, Boro would need Liverpool to pick up a large part of the tab for Downing, and that could prove a stumbling block even if they were willing to enter into an agreement.

http://www.standard.co.uk/pasportsfeeds/downing-interested-in-boro-loan-8335505.html

He'd be interested to play a part in their promotion push, his first club, his home town, but not interested enough to accept less than he gets now for being a bit part (non) player. At his age, unless something drastic happens, he probably not going to play much more football unless he accepts less for doing so.
So which is the most important? Playing but escaping the minmum wage by just several thousands of pounds per week, or not playing but receiving three or four times more for it than for playing.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2012, 09:30:49 PM »
like Barticus, I am deeply troubled by these continued links to Sturridge.

The lad does not have the quality we need.  Heck, he can;t get a regular game at Chelsea....even with Torres playing dire, and Drogba gone.

he's scored a mere 26 league goals in these past 6 seasons.

I really have to question the type of players Liverpool are looking at.

Huntelaar or even the Arsenal lad, Walcott.  But heck, Sturridge, no way.

I think the time to have got Sturridge passed when we didn't accept him + £40M for Torres.
He's had two managers not trust him to play centrally. From accounts I've read he's become greedy and not a team player. That may be him trying to prove his goal scoring credentials to get a move back centrally, but Walcott seems to have dealt with his own desire to play centrally in a more mature way whilst still contributing fully to the team.
Whoever comes in has to understand that the manager is looking for a fluid frontline so movement is required, rather than playing in a more narrow area of the pitch.
I thought Enrique did well getting himself in the box from the wider starting position whenever the ball was on the opposite flank or if Luis had vacated the central area. That's the sort of fluidity of movement players need to be prepared to have.
Sturridge would have to make moves from central positions to the channels and also make runs to take players away and create space for others knowing he won't actually receive the ball and won't have the opportunity there to be 'the hero' but a participator in the overall move.