January 24, 2021, 11:45:41 AM

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 75740 times)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2012, 05:19:26 PM »
I haven't seen enough of him, Martin, to form a decent opinion.

But it concerns me, that after being at the club a fair while now (a year and a half), that he has featured so little in the premiership.

Is there doubts about his abilities, among our backroom staff.  I dunno. 

I'd like to see more of him, to form an opinion myself.

You, what are your thoughts on the lad?

Like you, and most LFC fans we've not seen enough of him to form an opinion. The few times I've seen him he looks very competent in both directions. He has a tendency to make silly mistakes  and look caught out of position quite often but if that's a reusult of the very limited time in the team or if it reflects his true quality I don't know. One thing I know is that  I wonder why Brendan persists with Carra. If he's gonna suck up to the Kop at least he's gorra do it without insulting its intelligence which I think he does when he pick Carra ahead of Coates.

Oh, and don't play Henderson. Thank you. I feel for the lad, really.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2012, 05:42:03 PM »
I've yet to see anything that makes me think 'what have we done now, more wasted money'.

He's certainly got technical ability, isn't a bad reader of the game even at his age. I think the only thing you could really question with him is his concentration. He's prone to a lapse now and again at what can prove to be a critical time.

I certainly wouldn't be looking to move him on, not permanently, and if he goes out on loan, do we really have the cover, not just numbers, but of sufficent quality.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2012, 06:28:05 PM »
Bafetimbi Gomis 'holds talks with Liverpool over January transfer'

By Jamie Sanderson - 30th November, 2012

Reds manager Brendan Rodgers is targeting at least one new striker when the transfer window opens in January, with Luis Suarez being the club's only option up front at present.

Athletic Bilbao hitman Fernando Llorente and Valencia poacher Roberto Soldado are just two of the players who have been linked with moves to Anfield, but both would blow huge holes in Rodgers’ modest budget.

Instead, the club are said to have turned to Lyon powerhouse Gomis, who has a proven record as a goalscorer - bagging at least 10 in each of the last six seasons.

The 27-year-old looks like he will add this season to that list too, having already scored nine times, leading to speculation of a move away.

That talk has intensified in the last few days, with scouts from a number of clubs watching Gomis score a stunning hat-trick for Lyon in midweek.

One of the watching sides was Liverpool, who have now made an approach to Lyon to try and negotiate a deal, according to French magazine Le 10 Sport.

The publication claims Liverpool representatives have offered around £8million for the striker, who has 10 caps for France and has previously been linked with Real Madrid.

Gomis is currently secured to Lyon until 2014.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/919492-bafetimbi-gomis-holds-talks-with-liverpool-over-january-transfer

Not too sure what to make of him. Was 'the next big thing' when at St Etienne, but somehow hasn't pushed on to become what was expected of him.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2012, 07:31:01 PM »
Like you, and most LFC fans we've not seen enough of him to form an opinion. The few times I've seen him he looks very competent in both directions. He has a tendency to make silly mistakes  and look caught out of position quite often but if that's a reusult of the very limited time in the team or if it reflects his true quality I don't know. One thing I know is that  I wonder why Brendan persists with Carra. If he's gonna suck up to the Kop at least he's gorra do it without insulting its intelligence which I think he does when he pick Carra ahead of Coates.

That pretty much sums it up nicely, Martin. It's one of those where he 'looks like he might' or 'he looks to have' but there's no hard confirmation to tip the scales one way or the other.

Seems much more of a certainty at International, than club level.

As for Carra, it's hard to know the manager's thinking. Admittedly, he's been used less than last season, so has made fewer mistakes, but this surely has to be his last season, at last playing for us, but giving him a last hurrah must cause Coates' progress to be stunted.
It's the same with Gerrard. If he was a younger player, or maybe less of a 'name' then would he be getting as much game time as he has based purely on performances given and not on the 'possibility' of what he 'may' do.
I think his continued international career is doing nothing for us and will become more detrimental with each extra, pointless game he plays.
Somehow I can't see him doing 'a Carra' or 'a Scholes' and knocking it on the head to prolong his contribution at club level.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 07:32:10 PM by Tes »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2012, 07:49:26 PM »
Wilfried Bony has held transfer talks with Liverpool and Chelsea - agent

By Jamie Sanderson - 29th November, 2012

Bony is currently considered one of the best strikers in Europe, having enjoyed a remarkable purple patch since moving to Dutch football.

Scoring 30 goals in his last 49 games, it is this sort of form that has seen him linked with moves to some of the biggest clubs around including Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Tottenham.

And it appears that chatter is not far wrong, with the player’s agent Dalibor Lacina confirming there has already been contact with two of the clubs, Liverpool and Chelsea, about a possible move.

‘Liverpool are one of the clubs who have been considering him,’ Lacina told isport.blesk.cz.

‘We have been in talks with them. It is clear that Bony has attracted interest due to his good performances and consistency.

‘Chelsea is another club that are very interested.'

Both Liverpool and Chelsea are in the hunt for extra fire power in the new year, and with Bony bagging his 15th goal of an already impressive season at the weekend he is a man in form.

Vitesse are unlikely to part with Bony easily though, with reports in Holland suggesting they won’t sell for anything less than £15million.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/919407-wilfried-bony-has-held-talks-with-liverpool-and-chelsea-says-agent

It's whether he's another Afonso Alves / Mateja Kežman or a Van Persie / Van Nistelrooy.

Maybe if he was called Wilfried Van Bony we'd be fine signing him.

Also, he'd go missing every other January/February for the African Nations Cup, at a time you need to utilise a squad system probably more than at any other time of the season.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2012, 08:57:29 PM »
English clubs understood to be among those looking at Asker's Vajebah Sakor

By Ejder Akbal November 30, 2012

A number of English clubs are believed to be among those keeping a close eye on Asker's teenage midfielder Vajebah Sakor.

The 16-year-old is considered to be one of the brightest prospects to have emerged from Norwegian football for some time.

It has not taken long for his obvious potential to be noted, with clubs from across Europe closely monitoring his progress.

Manchester City, Liverpool and Arsenal are reported to be keen on adding Sakor to their ranks, with scouting missions having been sent out.

Asker, of the Norwegian second division, appreciate that they have some talent on their hands and have conceded that a deal is likely to be struck soon.

"We know that there is a lot of interest in Vajebah but we are yet to receive a concrete offer from abroad," Asker's sporting director Espen Falck told TV2.

"We know he is wanted by a lot of clubs in Europe.

"Any interested clubs will have to move fast as he is set to leave us soon."

Sakor made his debut for Asker at the age of 15, making him the youngest player to ever turn out in the Norwegian second tier.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11679/8297534

It's about time we had another Norwegian.  ;D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2012, 02:44:55 AM »
That pretty much sums it up nicely, Martin. It's one of those where he 'looks like he might' or 'he looks to have' but there's no hard confirmation to tip the scales one way or the other.

Seems much more of a certainty at International, than club level.

As for Carra, it's hard to know the manager's thinking. Admittedly, he's been used less than last season, so has made fewer mistakes, but this surely has to be his last season, at last playing for us, but giving him a last hurrah must cause Coates' progress to be stunted.
It's the same with Gerrard. If he was a younger player, or maybe less of a 'name' then would he be getting as much game time as he has based purely on performances given and not on the 'possibility' of what he 'may' do.
I think his continued international career is doing nothing for us and will become more detrimental with each extra, pointless game he plays.
Somehow I can't see him doing 'a Carra' or 'a Scholes' and knocking it on the head to prolong his contribution at club level.

Oh, and don't play Henderson. Thank you. I feel for the lad, really.

thing is, when you hear that we are looking to loan a player out, that is a very bad sign.

when have you ever heard of players coming back from loans, to have meaningful careers at Anfield.

very worrisome noises, if true re Coates.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2012, 08:58:13 AM »

thing is, when you hear that we are looking to loan a player out, that is a very bad sign.

when have you ever heard of players coming back from loans, to have meaningful careers at Anfield.

very worrisome noises, if true re Coates.

It is indeed and there's no prior example we shouldn't be. It may be he doesn't fit in with Rodgers' plans but did he really get a chance to prove that? All I know is that he was highly rated before coming here.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2012, 02:53:26 PM »
I don't see, that in match play, he's done badly enough to warrant being considered for loan. He has made some errrors, but so have other centre halves and centre half is the position where age and experience is the biggest difference maker and the apprenticeship lasts the longest.

Hope it's not a case of simply wanting 'his own players'. Coates is a Liverpool player, Rodgers took over as Liverpool, ergo Coates is 'his player'.

I think it will prove ill thought out if we were to let him go before he's had a proper run(s) in the team and not in the circumstances that make it too easy for him to fail or be the one easiy blamed.

We're not exactly sloshing in the green stuff, so replacing Coates would also be a very poor use of limited finances and a problem that simply isn't and doesn't need addressing.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2012, 08:07:01 PM »
Coates was first spotted when he played in the Uruguayan winning team which beat Brazil and Argentina amongst others, if he can play against class like that then surely he can get more than a run out than Carra...he was also voted best young player in south america....he's 22...

Rodgers stated quite clearly that all players would get a chance...but maybe (to paraphrase orwell) some have more chances than others...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2012, 08:37:28 PM »
Coates was first spotted when he played in the Uruguayan winning team which beat Brazil and Argentina amongst others, if he can play against class like that then surely he can get more than a run out than Carra...he was also voted best young player in south america....he's 22...

Rodgers stated quite clearly that all players would get a chance...but maybe (to paraphrase orwell) some have more chances than others...

It's another head scratcher, that's for sure.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2012, 09:03:43 PM »
Think all our players who love to have a crack
from distance and it gets saved (Enrique the
other day). Nobody in the side to follow up the
way Dirk used.

Easily fixed!

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/demba-ba-2-newcastle-v-wigan/

Is he playing the African thingy?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2012, 09:57:58 PM »
Think all our players who love to have a crack
from distance and it gets saved (Enrique the
other day). Nobody in the side to follow up the
way Dirk used.

Easily fixed!

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/demba-ba-2-newcastle-v-wigan/

Demba's been Ba'ed from www.101greatgoals.com

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2012, 09:59:58 PM »
Is he playing the African thingy?

The race card?

*expects letter from Peter Herbert to drop through the letterbox by Thursday.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2012, 10:18:55 PM »
taxi for Sebastian.

I'll get my coates.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.